PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket Soda's (the House brand)

jmyjunk
07-20-2005, 04:34 PM
What are you favorites?

I love Safeways line of soda. Safeway Selects.
Grapefruit! It is on par with Squirt in terms of taste and quaility. They make a good diet cola with Lemon as well. And have some unique flavors such as twised red.

King Soopers (Bik K brand/Kroger)
I thought these soda's taste a bit cheap. They are good, but not like Safeways.

Albertsons. Yikes! They taste like the can they came in.

Whole Foods. 365- The root beer is heavenly. This is a good brand. Their Italian Soda are FANTASTIC. Lemon is my fav.

So what do you all like, and from where?

Mr Zabe
07-20-2005, 07:19 PM
I totally agree.
Safeway Selects for a house brand is very good.
I like the Cherry Cola,Cola,Ginger Ale,Diet Grapfruit,Seltzer Water.

Albertsons,(Jewel) has sucky house brand pop.

Sams house brand Dr Skipper????? is very good.
The rest of the flavors are not so good.

JMHX316
07-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Winn Dixie's Chek brand has some decent sodas in their lineup, with a ton of flavors over all..

They have peach, cherry limeade, carbonated lemonade, kountry mist (MD knockoff), orange mango, a vanilla cola that I personally like better than either of the big two's... As a plus, since I'm watching my weight, nearly all of these flavors come in diets, that aren't too shabby....

bigrich
07-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Safeway in Indianapolis carries Vess as a store brand. It is really outstanding.

ramonazo
07-21-2005, 02:38 AM
Here in Mexico you can find Safeway sodas in Ley stores and Great Value in Wal-Mart supercenter and Bodega Aurrera.

And actually almost all the store brands (Comercial Mexicana's "CM", Soriana, Chedraui's "1") are made by canadian Cott through their bottler in Puebla.

[ 07-21-2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

jmyjunk
07-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by bigrich:
Safeway in Indianapolis carries Vess as a store brand. It is really outstanding. I think you had said thi before when I talked about Vess.
It kind of weird to think that Vess is the house brand for Safeway in Indianapolis.
For me, it will always be the local St Louis soda.

wonkapete
07-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I agree with JM! Chek brand has been around 30-40 yrs in Winn Dixie stores. They have some good flavors, like Cream Soda and Black Cherry. Always coming out with new flavors. Awesome pricing on them too!

Look In The Tunk
07-21-2005, 07:51 PM
All we have now in Farm Freshes, Ukrops, Great Valus, and Fresh Prides (the last two are lovingly named 'ghetto stores') are the Super Chill sodas.

Food Lion still has their own brand of sodas though.

ryaxnb
07-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Safeway makes good cola

ramonazo
07-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by ramonazo:
And actually almost all the store brands (Comercial Mexicana's "CM", Soriana, Chedraui's "1" ) are made by canadian Cott through their bottler in Puebla. My mistake...
I went to Chedraui yesterday and the store brand is not made by Cott, is made by a mexican company called "El Riego" located at Tehuacan, Puebla. And is called now "D'calidad Chedraui"

"1" brand was the name of the Carrefour brand, but Carrefour Mexico division was recenly bought by Chedraui.

[ 07-24-2005, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

Darren
07-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Vess Cream Soda is the best! I grew up with that...

billygtexas
08-01-2005, 07:55 PM
I wish I could find Vess sodas here, the last can I saw was in Wichita.

I like a lot of Wal-Mart's sodas also bottled by Cott. Their Dr Thunder and Southern Lightning are good knockoffs of Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew, and the Orangette and Grapette are tasty classic sodas. The prices are hard to beat. If they could only work on the taste of Sam's cola - it's typical cheap store brand soda.

The worst: Hy-Top (Brookshires and Super One stores in Texas), Dollar General's "Clover Valley" brand, Rocky Top Soda (ugh!) and some of Save-A-Lot's knockoffs (Bubba Cola) are pretty lame.

Is there a private label store brand anywhere that accuratly copies Coke's taste?

[ 08-03-2005, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

Hacksaw
08-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Kroger's/Smith's Big K Red Cream is better than Barq's Red Cream. smile.gif

Safeway Select Cola is OK, but their Root Beer is nasty. WalMart's Grapette is pretty good.

BottleBoss
08-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Thats supposed to be 'the' grapette by the way.