PDA

View Full Version : Pibb Zero - Yeech!

billygtexas
07-22-2005, 12:33 AM
My local Wal-Mart just got Pibb Zero in 50 cent sample bottles today. Thought I try one on ice...yuck!

Coke tried to make Pibb Zero sweeter and stronger tasting than Diet DP, so they cranked up the Aspertame/Ace-K blend full bore. The strong taste just didnt work. Pibb Zero has that old school diet soda aftertaste that hangs around inside your mouth until you drink something else. A really bitter taste and not nearly as sweet as Diet Dr Pepper.

Pibb's always been a cheap knockoff of DP to keep Cadbury/Schweppes from getting a piece of Coke's soda machine and fountain sales, and this is no exception.

I was hoping Coke was going to score another home run like Coke Zero but they struck out. Wal-Mart's Diet Dr Thunder tastes better than this toxic waste, and a big liter of Thunder costs the same as this sample bottle!

[ 07-22-2005, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

ramonazo
07-22-2005, 12:51 AM
What a ZERO fever!

Robot
07-22-2005, 12:55 AM
**** MAN

PIBB ZERO???

oh man, i cant wait

i loved me some pibb back in the day, to have a mr. pibb/pibb xtra diet version, which i've never been able to try, would be great..

any idea if this will hit chicago?

any pics?

Look In The Tunk
07-22-2005, 01:06 AM
I mean I'll try it since I like Pibb Xtra so much (I have soda pals that resent me for this), but I'll probably stick to my Pibb Xtra and skip the diet after the first few tries (I try to give every new soda 3 tries)

billygtexas
07-22-2005, 01:13 AM
I need fresh batteries for my camera so a label scan had to do. Its a really cheap looking label, terrible design. Looks like a Jr. High Art department did it.
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/9218/pibbzero5zj.jpg

[ 07-22-2005, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

Robot
07-22-2005, 01:31 AM
cheap label

hopefully its good like coke zero

i cant wait to try it

Look In The Tunk
07-22-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy O'Sullivan:
cheap label
Pibb Xtra has the worst label out there now. I told a friend last night that I think that Pibb Xtra would sell if they'd change the label. (I know it would REALLY sell if they brought back the old formula and the old name though, but we're probably never going to see that...)

Bring back that put it in your head guy! He looks like the little guy from the Reach toothbrush ads.

[ 07-22-2005, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: TheConnieVandelayShow ]

XLS_04
07-22-2005, 01:48 AM
i like the label, resembles Pibb Xtra, Coke Zero has a cheap label in my opinion.

ramonazo
07-22-2005, 02:05 AM
I guess that this product won't be distributed in the areas where Coca-Cola distributes Dr. Pepper, Right?

Robot
07-22-2005, 04:42 AM
well coke has pibb xtra here in chicago

yet no diet pibb

didnt see pibb zero tonight when i went out, hopefully i will though, i can almost guarantee a 12pack a week i'd be buying if it was out here..

billygtexas
07-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy O'Sullivan:
cheap label

hopefully its good like coke zero

i cant wait to try it I think you'll be disapointed, It tasted like a store brand analog (aka Diet Dr Hy-Top, really gross!) with that nasty aftertaste. I tried it on ice from a warm bottle first time around. I may try it again when they get it in the coolers.

It reminded me of old Diet Dr Pepper in the 70's when they still used saccharin. I'm disapointed Coke didnt try Splenda in this.

[ 07-22-2005, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by billygtexas:

Pibb's always been a cheap knockoff of DP to keep Cadbury/Schweppes from getting a piece of Coke's soda machine and fountain sales, and this is no exception.
Watch out, Billyg, there is a bunch of Pibb fans on this board.

And soda loyalties rival those of politics. ;)

the saint
07-22-2005, 10:37 AM
No not really Pibb fans, They are Coke fans.

Mr Zabe
07-22-2005, 11:02 AM
I would say that the majority of us soda pop freaks are poly-soda pop lovers.

We may speak of Coke in glowing terms, but open our refrigerators and you will find more than a good supply of our favorite soda pops.

JACK
07-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Pibb Zero will be just like its brother Pibb
Xtra - Coke's poor attempt to copy Dr Pepper and now Diet Dr Pepper. Pibb continues to exist only because CCE cannot get the rights to distribute Dr Pepper. They are very public about wanting ANY and ALL Dr Pepper franchises when they come available.

In the fountain area, Coke controls the flavors by penalizing customers who want to add brands they most ...but not all customers prefer...like Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper.

I think Pibb Xtra tastes more like a cream soda than Dr. Pepper. DP is a full flavored bold taste.

We all have our favorites.....mine Diet Dr Pepper but cannot stomach a Cherry Vanilla Diet

Robot
07-25-2005, 12:00 AM
any word on this hitting other markets???

Mr. PiBB - It goes down good
08-09-2005, 09:23 PM
More bad news on the PiBB front. Sam's Club has replaced Pibb Xtra with Ginger Ale in the NYC area (Secaucus, NJ & Middletown, NY that I've seen). This sucks because that was one of the only places to get Pibb in this area. It's still available at Chuck E. Cheeese last I checked.
Good news is that cans are available again as close as Scranton, PA, (Wegman's Supermarket) so that saves some time from the previous nearest location, which was over the Maryland border.

Robot
08-09-2005, 09:25 PM
I havent been able to find Pibb Zero anywhere in Chicago/Illinois.. still hoping this goes national.

08-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Reuters story says Coke has no plans to roll out Pibb Zero nationally.

SamC
08-09-2005, 11:08 PM
In my area Pepsi (PBG) has Dr Pepper. As with most Pepsi products, it is totally mishandled, and has very inconsistant quality. Nearby, Pepsi out of Cincinnati does a better job. A few counties over and a dedicated third tier has Dr Pepper. Its like night and day. What a good job they do.

Coke (CCBCC) does a worthless job with Pibb. No diet, and regular Pibb only shows up at the bottom of a disply or a vendor.

Coke should FEATURE Pibb and Pibb Zero anywhere it cannot get control of Dr Pepper.

fusion
08-10-2005, 01:43 AM
It is a similar situation where I live. In the area I live in, Philadelphia Coke has Dr Pepper. They do an awesome job with it. Top quality stuff. Plenty of reg, diet, and cf diet, and diet cv. On displays, plenty of shelf space, and in coolers.

to the north of me, ABARTA has it. They do ok with it -- just reg and diet, but still featured on displays and such. I don't know if they have cv or diet cv.

Pepsi has it in most of Maryland. And they do a piss poor job with it. Lower quality product, not as much emphasis on it, and cf diet is hard to find, and then usually only in 2L. spotty coverage with diet cv, and cv is practically impossible to find, even though it is being produced in Baltimore.

I agree that Coke should be pushing Pibb more. And pushing Pibb Zero as well. In my experience, Pibb sells well, considering how little attention is paid to it.

[ 08-10-2005, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: fusion ]

08-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Coke NY does not bottle/can Caffeine Free or Diet Caffeine Free Dr. Pepper.
The following is a list of the closest places to NYC to buy Caffeine Free/Diet Caffeine Free Dr. Pepper. (List provided by DP/7UP)
CVS PHARMACY 881 STATE HWY 206 PRINCETON NJ 08540 (609)-683-3681
SUPER FRESH 10 SCHULKS CROSSING PLAINSBORO NJ 08536 (609)-378-0226
SUPER FRESH 44 US HIGHWAY 130 HIGHTSTOWN NJ 08520 (609)-918-0500
CVS PHARMACY 629 ABBINGTON DR HIGHTSTOWN NJ 08520 (609)-426-2902
TARGET 500 NASSAU PARK BLVD PRINCETON NJ 08540 (609)-951-8555
WEGMANS 240 NASSAU PARK BLVD PRINCETON NJ 08540 (609)-919-9300
SHOPRITE 1235 ROUTE 33 HAMILTON SQUARE NJ 08690 (609)-890-8088
ACME MARKETS 953 HIGHWAY 33 HAMILTON SQUARE NJ 08690 (609)-890-2551
SHOPRITE 2555 PENNINGTON RD TRENTON NJ 08638 (609)-882-0711
(These must be central NJ locations served by Philly Coke)

wonkapete
08-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Anyone want to sell me a bottle of Pibb Zero?

Chad.
08-21-2005, 02:39 AM
found pibb zero, in st. louis in a philips 66, st. louis is not texas,oklahoma, or kansas whats up with that. by the way i thought it was awesome. better than diet dr pepper, but then again i like pibb xtra better than reg dp

chrisok
08-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ChadyzGroove:
by the way i thought it was awesome. better than diet dr pepper, but then again i like pibb xtra better than reg dp You know, I have to agree with you on Pibb Zero. Initially, I didn't think it was very good. However, it got better and better each time I tried it. Now, I don't like Pibb Xtra compared to Dr. Pepper or especially Mr. Pibb, but Pibb Zero is a winner in my opinion.

JACK
08-22-2005, 11:56 AM
I wonder .....has Pibb ever been a winner anywhere in which COKE did not buy IT for him?? Based on the Diet craze "Pibb without" might have a better chance to survive...but winner....I am not sure about that

Diet Dr Pepper is on a roll...double digit growth nationally...In Oklahoma City and Tulsa in c-stores it ranks #6 and outsells DIET PEPSI BY 19%

Where in Oklahoma did you try a Diet Pibb??

chrisok
08-22-2005, 06:08 PM
I found 12 packs and 20oz bottles at a Wal Mart Supercenter in Newcastle, OK. It's a small suburb to the Southwest of OKC. It's also the closest place to OKC you can find Pibb.

By winner I don't mean I think it will do very well. In fact, I'm pretty sure it won't. I just think it tastes pretty good.

In the off chance anyone was wondering, the old Diet Mr. Pibb hasn't been available anywhere in Oklahoma for a very, very long time.

jmyjunk
08-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Boy, Pibb Zero is having a tough go at it, (buy judging what's posted here)

However, I'm from the Show-Me state, and so when I was home is St Louis this week end, I was finally able to try it.

It was quite nice.
It has a nice fruity aroma, the taste is not to unlike Mr. Pibb (Oops sorry Pibb xtra)
Its a very nice diet soft drink. It has more of a cherry bite than Diet Dr. P.

I think it's getting a bad wrap because Coke is yet again jumping on the Zero kick again, with all its diet soda (almost)
The graphics on the 20oz look fine.
They need to market this more, as it is a good rival to Diet Dr. Pepper.

JACK
08-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Saw Diet Mr. Pibb in Salina Ks yesterday...looks like it is leaking out to other states...Diet Dr Pepper sells very well in that Market...maybe thats why

Look In The Tunk
09-28-2005, 03:03 PM
A little late, but I got a can in the mail from a friend:

http://static.flickr.com/30/45713210_4b09844fb9_o.jpg

It smells like Mr. Pibb, tastes like Pibb Xtra once it hits your touge, but then it goes down hill once it hits the back of your tounge, it tastes like plastic.