PDA

View Full Version : returnables?

Bob The Forester
11-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Does anywhere else in this whole great nation besides my local Catawissa Bottling Company still bottle soda in glass returnable bottles? I know basically every other country in the world uses returnables but the U.S. and I also know Coke and Pepsi don't use returnables anymore either. :(

Boris
11-11-2003, 09:53 PM
First off, I do, Shibby Soda is all glass, nothing but glass. And anyone in the Quebec or Richmond Area can drop their glass bottles off for .20USD a bottle...Secondly, Barqs,Sprite,Faygo are some who still bottle in glass in the US. Sorry I don't have any pics of my stash handy...

fusion
11-11-2003, 11:18 PM
There are a few others. I'm thinking a bottler in Winona, Minnesota still does. They've been discussed on the board before.

KanKing
11-12-2003, 10:05 AM
I beleive there is a Double COla bottle in either Kentucky or Tennessee that still uses returnables. Dublin Dr.Pepper also still uses them to an extent. But why use bottles when there are so many nice aluminum cans available!?

bigworld
01-21-2005, 01:15 AM
I think that the great Catawissa Bottling Company still makes Double Cola in 16 ounce glass returnables, or did as of a year ago.

And yes, they are still making their 12 ounce "Big Ben" soda in returnables. Just got a couple cases from a distributor in Manheim PA.

They re-use old bottles from many long-gone soda bottlers and slap a paper label on top.

drpep
01-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Also still do the 32oz returnables using old bottles with Big Ben labels slapped on.

ithastabeshasta
01-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Celo Bottling in Sauk City Wisconsin does Sundrop and their own flavors and Twigs Beverages in Shawano Wisconsin also does Sundrop, 76 lemon lime and their own flavors in returnable 12 and 16 ounce bottles. And yes the Coca Cola bottler in Winona still bottles in returnables.

Android
02-07-2005, 02:47 AM
These bottlers in Wisconsin, how are they distributed? Do you have to buy direct from the bottler or can you find the returnables in area stores?

andy

ithastabeshasta
02-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Sorry I do not know for sure, I purchase from the bottlers direct and did not enter any stores in the area. Although the Celo bottling company did mention he had a distributor which leads me to believe they are available somewhere other than the bottling company.

EnergyKing
02-23-2005, 01:37 AM
Two years ago Albertsons had returnable Pepsi in their Ad. God that is the best tasting soda in those glass bottles. From what I understand they use Pure Cane Sugar for those bottles.

You can actually still buy them in Mexican C-Stores.

Android
03-07-2005, 11:40 PM
I was leafing through some pictures today and came across this one. *sigh* I miss my Pepsi returnables, especially when they were priced this cheap! I can't believe that 8 years have gone by since I took this picture.

http://members.trainorders.com/android/pics/RTshelf.jpg

Rollerwings
03-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Android, that is an awesome picture! I didn't know that they reused the old "Pepsi Free" bottles for the diet, caffeine free & diet caffeine free.

Dr. Galaga
03-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Yea, nice pic. I think the last time I saw the returnable bottles was maybe late 80's.

boodoo
03-13-2005, 10:19 AM
As an old timer, my back hurts looking at this picture! As a consumer I miss the glass.

Android
03-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Yep, They reused those Pepsi Free bottles all the way til the end there in Central Iowa. That picture was taken, if my fading memory serves me correct, in Des Moines in a Dahl's store. That same day I also went to Davenport to my favorite Hy-Vee store that always would have tons of those awesome 12 ouncers Pepsi returnables in crates. I snapped a picture there of their huge Star Wars tie-in display which had quite a few returnables laid out in next to the 12 packs. I'd post that pic too but I can't find the darn thing!

boodoo - I agree about the merchandising side of things. During my brief stint with Pepsi around 11 years ago, I didn't care for even the NR glass products we'd stock. Too freaking heavy and too darn fragile as well. At least returnables were sturdy.

But as a consumer, I'd still making my bi-monthly "Pepsi Runs" to Iowa if they still bottled them. It's amazing how many bottles I was able to squeeze into my old VW's (that's multi-tasking of hobbies - travel, old VW's and returnable sodas all at once!)

-andy

http://members.trainorders.com/android/pics/Pepsirun2.jpg

EnergyKing
03-13-2005, 12:49 PM
It tasted the best in glass too. And the Carbonation seemed to hold longer too.

Android
03-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Yes it did, I think they must have put more carbonation in them, actually, since the glass could hold higher pressures. Or maybe it was just that there was no "leakage" though the "pores" like happens with crap PET over time.

andy

OOS
03-13-2005, 06:41 PM
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffff

boodoo
03-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Great pic Android!

SplitLevelP
03-14-2005, 05:36 AM
does any stores in USA stil have a display like that in 2005? if so where?

Android
03-14-2005, 07:21 AM
You won't find returnable Pepsi on the shelf at grocery stores like that anywhere anymore. That's a by-gone era. About the only place I've seen any returnables in a grocery store in a long time was in Winona, MN, and that was just one facing of Coke,Diet Coke and Sprite.

andy

Android
03-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Oh, I just found that picture from Davenport back in 1997. Good ol' AD Heusing product for the returnables. (but you can see WisPak pallets for the other stuff there)

-andy

http://members.trainorders.com/android/pics/pepsistarwars.jpg

bigrich
03-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Was that in the Hy-Vee on West Kimberly Road? That was my favorite place to stock up. They would bring the returnables in on skids.

Android
03-16-2005, 09:37 AM
yeah, that's the one. Someone once told me to try some other store, can't remember which, but it was nothing compared to that HyVee.

andy

No Soda
03-16-2005, 09:44 PM
Android, your photos should be entitled "The way it should be," with consumers given the choice of refillables at a bargain price, or cans and plastic at a higher price. Pretty neat to see the newest Pepsi graphics on the 8-packs, and that the Pepsi Free bottles were still in use. The last refillables I bought in the US was an 8-pack of Pepsi in September 1997 in Allentown, PA. I used to make fairly frequent runs out there when I lived in New York.

ithastabeshasta
03-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Here is a picture of the products I purchased from Celo Bottling Company in August of 2004. With the exception of the Celo Polka Cola they are all returnable bottles. http://www.canconnection.com/P1030773_small.JPG

[ 03-16-2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: ithastabeshasta ]

ithastabeshasta
03-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Here is the product in returnables from Twig's beverages in Shawanno Wisconsin, they have more flavors this is just the ones I purchased in august of 2004.
http://www.canconnection.com/P1030774_small.JPG

[ 03-16-2005, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: ithastabeshasta ]

ithastabeshasta
03-16-2005, 10:43 PM
I have more pictures posted at click here to see them (http://www.canconnection.com/trip.htm)

http://www.canconnection.com/P1030762_small.JPG

Android
03-17-2005, 12:58 PM
ithastabeshasta- good pictures from you as well.

FYI - The only reason that the 8-packs got the new Pepsi logo was that Des Moines was one of the test markets for that new design. It's actually a little bit different than what came out nationally later on. After the Iowa central bottling operation out of Waterloo shut down, I think the bottler in Buffalo, NY ended up with some of the Iowa stock, because I later saw these test market 8packs there.

I took a road trip a few weeks back with stopping around Winona, MN in mind just to see if any local grocery stores had their returnable cokes for sale, and was happy to find one. I don't drink Coke or Diet Coke so had to settle on buying all the Sprite they had on the shelf (just 3 8 packs). Then it was down to the NE Iowa region to pick up a bunch of Kitchen Cooked potato chips, the best dang chips made in the USA.

I'd inquired about those Sundrop bottlers before, because I'd had thought about going through there as well at some point. But, since I've never tasted their products, I don't know if I'd care for them even if I did find them in a store, or buy them from the bottler direct - thus I didn't venture that way.

For me, my pipe dream is that someday someone willstart up a company like "Pepsi Cola Alternative Bottlers" for returnables. Hah, yeah right, that'll never happen. I buy a few MexiPepsis down in Denver every month or two and ration them out, and they are good, but I still miss the good ol AD Heusing product.

andy

bigrich
03-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Hy-Vee was one of the reasons AD Huesing stopped bottling returnables. Hy-Vee did'nt want to mess with them anymore and the other local supermarket (Eagle Country Markets) went out of business. Target and Walmart never had them. They also said that new bottles were costing them 85 cents each and had to be shipped from Mexico.

Android
03-17-2005, 06:20 PM
I didn't know that Hy-Vee had a hand in the Davenport situation. I do know they killed off the combined central-Iowa Waterloo bottling plant - after Hy-Vee made it optional for stores to carry the 16oz 8-packs, too many of them dropped it around the state, so Pepsi didn't have the volume sales to sustain that line.

Still, Had Iowa not had the deposit laws starting in the 70's, I doubt their grocery stores would have put up with the returnables anywhere there through the mid-80's, like the majority of the rest of the country. At least with the deposit laws, people had to return everything, refillable or otherwise, grocers had to be set up to accept them whether they wanted to or not.

andy

ithastabeshasta
03-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Android:
ithastabeshasta- good pictures from you as well.

FYI -

I'd inquired about those Sundrop bottlers before, because I'd had thought about going through there as well at some point. But, since I've never tasted their products, I don't know if I'd care for them even if I did find them in a store, or buy them from the bottler direct - thus I didn't venture that way.

andy If you go to one of them go to Twig's in Shawanno Wisconsin, their products taste better and they don't have a problem with selling to out of towners.

Did you stop in Spring Grove Minnesota on your trip? The Spring Grove bottling company makes some of the best tasting cane sugar soda's that you will ever have. Not in returnables but they are 10 ounce glass bottles.

Android
03-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Nope, I didn't. I wasn't aware of them at all til now, bummer. Next time perhaps. Thanks for the information though.

I was digging in my pictures for something and came across this picture from probably the same Dahl's store from 1994, before the new Pepsi logos were around.

-andy

http://members.trainorders.com/android/pics/Pepsi1994.jpg

BottleBoss
03-26-2005, 08:42 PM
My wife and I took the trip up to the Catawissa Bottling Company today to drop off our returns and pick up some. Total purchase: 4 cases of Double Cola., Orange, Root Beer, Cherry, Lemon, Lime, Birch Beer- all in 7 oz., And Sasaparilla in 32 oz.
I took pictures if I can get them to show up here:
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=41728 (http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=41728)
Thats a picture of what we bought.
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=41730 (http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=41730)
Heres one of some of the individual bottles.

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=41729 (http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=41729)

Theres on of where I keep them by my Coke machine.

Now If I could get a dozen crates of sodas from Celo and Twigs in Wisconson I would have it made! Too far to drive though. Need to find more places around here.

[ 03-26-2005, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: BottleBoss ]

ithastabeshasta
03-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by BottleBoss:
My
Now If I could get a dozen crates of sodas from Celo and Twigs in Wisconson I would have it made! Too far to drive though. Need to find more places around here. Does Catawissa sell direct or can you purchase their products at a store?

I will be in New Cumberland PA next weekend attending a beer/soda collectibles show. It may be possible for me to bring you a couple of cases (sorry not enough room for a couple dozen cases) of Twigs beverages if you'd be willing to come and pick them up in New Cumberland on Friday or Saturday. Email me if you are interested.

BottleBoss
03-27-2005, 03:43 PM
I believe that Catawissa does have some distributors but I could not tell you who as I don't know. I buy direct from them. I have stopped at a few stores here and there on the way up to Catawissa but never seen any of their products. You can call them at 1-800-892-4419. Tell us more about Twigs beverages. What flavors do they bottle? Do they use the wooden crates?

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=41960 (http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=41960)

[ 03-27-2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: BottleBoss ]

ithastabeshasta
03-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Twigs bottles Root Beer, Black Cherry, Grape, Orange, 76 lemon lime and Sun Drop. I believe they have other flavors but I cannot remember as they were about to close when I arrived so I was hurried along. All are available in 12 oz returnable bottles and Sun Drop is also available in 16 oz returnables too. They do use the old wooden crates but they also have some cardboard cases for the Sun Drop (Sun Drop is huge in Wisconsin). Twig's does not put lables on thier flavors the flavor is printed on the caps only but the Sun Drop and 76 Lemon Lime are painted lable bottles. They also had a Hillbilly branded painted lable with what looked like squirt in them but I didn't see that until I was leaving so I didn't get any. Keep in mind I have been there 1 time it is 6+ hours (1 way)away from my home. But I am planning on going there either on the way to PA or on the way back.

Markito
03-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Android:
I took a road trip a few weeks back with stopping around Winona, MN in mind just to see if any local grocery stores had their returnable cokes for sale, and was happy to find one. I don't drink Coke or Diet Coke so had to settle on buying all the Sprite they had on the shelf (just 3 8 packs).Andy,
What was the name of the grocery store in Winona?

Markito
03-28-2005, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by BottleBoss:
...Theres one of where I keep them by my Coke machine...BottleBoss,
I collect Coca-Cola machines and yours in the photo is one of my favorite "square-top" models.

What's the story behind yours? Where and how long ago did you get it?

~M

BottleBoss
03-28-2005, 11:17 AM
ItHasToBeShasta- I really appreciate the offer to bring down some Twigs sodas but I think I will hold off for now. What you could do for me is get a business card and send it to me. Scope the place out and give a description of what it is like, flavor list and so forth. Pictures would be cool if you can post them here. If the New Cumberlad PA you are visiting is in the south part of Harrisburg than you will only be about an hour and a half from Catawissa Bottling. It is a straight shot up route 15/11, then onto 11 and follow the signs into Catawissa. Let me know and I will try to give you better directions.

Markito- I bought that Coke machine about three years ago. It was a wreck. The door was bent, The entire machine had been painted over several times, compressor never shut off. I had to repair the door, strip and repaint it, etc... But it still cooled down. I did have to replace the thermostat, the glass in the vending door, and a few small things. I rewired it to vend from a push button on the front so you don't have to put coins in. Not bad for about the $450.00 total it cost me. The good thing about the square top machines is that they are still fairly affordable compared to the more popular round topped ones. I bought it off Ebay.

[ 03-28-2005, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: BottleBoss ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-28-2005, 11:41 AM
So, let's get a review of this topic.

We can find returnable cokes in Winona, MN and Escanaba, Mi?

Any Pepsi left anywhere?

And then there's all these small bottlers, what are they again?

Android
03-28-2005, 11:58 AM
No pepsi left anywhere for retail purchase. I've heard there are a couple indie Pepsi bottlers that run very small quantities of 10 ounce bottles for captive vending machine accounts. But they don't do anything else for public sale. I think Memphis, Missouri might be one of these.

andy

[ 03-28-2005, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Android ]

ithastabeshasta
03-28-2005, 11:09 PM
BottleBoss - I will try to get a business card and some pictures for you. I also just now found out about another Wisconsin bottler that uses returnable bottles. It is the London Kist Bottling company in New London Wisconsin. As luck would have it I will be going through New London on my trip so I am going to see what I can get from them. They are the oldest plant in Wisconsin at 125 years old and the number 2 Kist (Kist is a old time brand) bottler in the world.

I may need to rent a trailer to get everything home!

bigrich
03-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Memphis, MO may still bottle 10 ounce, but have stopped 16 ounce. Uno's Pizza have built displays in their restaurants featuring cut cases with glued in glass full Pepsi bottles stacked on top of each other to cover a wall. They bought all the remaining AD Huesing empty 12 ouncers (that had not already been recycled) and had Memphis convert their 10 ounce line to fill them for their displays. This was not enough to do all of their restaurants so they bought all the 16 ouncers Memphis had. Memphis may still run 10 ounce but I have heard you can only trade empties for full.

Android
03-29-2005, 01:00 PM
I read that the Uno Pizzaria thing was part of Pepsi's corporate marketing deal with them. Pepsi would get the account, but they'd have to provide them with "X" amount of nostalgia product for the store displays. I guess it's nit-picking but I do wonder if it wasn't Pepsi corporate that bought up these instead of Uno itself.

My parents went on a trip earlier this year and sent me this picture from what I'm assuming is a Uno restaurant. It's not a wall display though. I have never been in one of those places myself. I asked my Mom if she looked to see what the bottler listed on the caps was. she didn't think of it - oh well.
andy

http://members.trainorders.com/android/pics/pepsistack.jpg

fusion
03-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Judging from the interior decor, I'd say it's a Pizzaria Uno.

BottleBoss
03-29-2005, 08:46 PM
It sounds like Wisconson is the retunable bottler mecca. Any place you can get a card from or pictures would be great. Eventually I will get around to a long road trip! Thanks.

SplitLevelP
03-29-2005, 11:06 PM
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_14703710/100_0041.jpg?bc.ugSCB8hRX40pL

This is some of what I have managed to get a hold of over the years there is alot more to my collection.Maybe i will post some others soon.

[ 03-29-2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: SplitLevelP ]

glassbottlesrule
03-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Scratch Escanaba off the list. Even though their website still lists it the bottler has stopped refilling the glass bottles. Said it was not commerciallly feasable anymore.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-31-2005, 01:19 AM
i just called them a month ago!

glassbottlesrule
03-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Stopped producing on the 11 of March.

ithastabeshasta
03-31-2005, 09:50 PM
I did stop at New London Kist bottling and they are still open and producing both the Kist orange and Ting in 13 different flavors. They mentioned another Wisconsin bottler still using returnables in Seymour (spelling may be wrong) Wisconsin, I will be stopping there on my way home. I will post pictures here when I get home next week.

Twig Beverages makes Sun Drop, 76 White Soda, Grape, Root Beer, Black Cherry and orange all in returnable bottles.

All 3 of these bottlers are within a 100 mile radius of each other so you can visit them all in the same day pretty easily. Although New London Kist bottling is a hit or miss as they don't keep regular hours.

BottleBoss
04-15-2005, 11:43 PM
So how did the trip go Shasta. What did you find out at all those bottlers?

ithastabeshasta
04-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Sorry I moved shortly after returning from the trip and I haven't had time to get the pictures up but I should be able to later this week.

ithastabeshasta
04-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Ok here are some pictures of the product inside of twig bottling in Shawano Wisconsin.

http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/twig1.jpg
http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/twig2.jpg
http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/twig3.jpg

Here is what the front of twigs looks like.
http://www.canconnection.com/P1030772_small.JPG

ithastabeshasta
04-22-2005, 09:26 PM
I lost my picture of the outside of New London Kist bottling but I do have a couple of the inside, if you are interested New London Kist bottling is for sale!
http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/london1.jpg

http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/london2.jpg

New London has 13 flavors of Ting soda in 8 ounce returnable bottles and they also still bottle Orange Kist in 7 ounce bottles.

[ 04-22-2005, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: ithastabeshasta ]

Dr. Galaga
04-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Neat.
So is this machine the whole bottling operation?
http://home.comcast.net/~dr.galaga/files/bottler.jpg
Do you know what those bottles are doing inside there (little left of center)? (It's kind of like they are attached and spinning around)

ithastabeshasta
04-24-2005, 12:04 AM
That's the whole operation, although he does have a couple of spares. What you see on the left is part of the bottle washer, the bottles are on the washing line.

ithastabeshasta
05-26-2005, 12:05 AM
I just got back from another trip to Wisconsin this time I managed to stop at Seymour Beverages in Seymour Wisconsin. This place had 14 flavors of 7 ounce returnables. They are Cola, Root Beer, Fruit Punch, Orange, Cherry, Grape, Half and Half, Strawberry, Cream Soda, Lemon Lime, Black Cherry, Lime, Blue Raspberry and Cranberry. All are made with sugar and are very good. http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/seymour7a_small.jpg
http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/seymour7b_small.jpg

ithastabeshasta
05-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Seymour also produces 10, 16 and 32 ounce returnables, Note I did not purchase all of the flavors available in these sizes and I do not recall how many were available in each size.

10 ounce http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/seymour10_small.jpg

16 ounce http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/seymour16_small.jpg

32 ounce http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/seymour32_small.jpg

ithastabeshasta
05-26-2005, 12:13 AM
While I was at it I stopped and picked up some more Ting in 8 ounce returnables from New London Kist bottling in New London Wisconsin. Pictured are Double Cola, Orange, Cherry, Lime, Strawberry, Lemon Lime and Fruit Punch. These were all the flavors they had at this time but usually they have 13 available.

http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/newlondon8ting_small.jpg

ithastabeshasta
05-26-2005, 12:16 AM
My final stop was at Twig's Beverages in Shawano Wisconsin where I stocked up on 12 ounce Sundrop, 10 ounce 76 and some 16 ounce returnables of their flavors. This is the first time I picked up 16 ounce bottles from them, as a matter of fact I didn't know they had them until now.

http://www.canconnection.com/images/trip/twig16_small.jpg

All of this pictures plus many more can be seen at my website (http://www.canconnection.com/returnables.htm)

BottleBoss
05-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Wow am I jealous. Man I wish I could get the time to go to these places. How about emailing me some adresses, if possible. Msreynolds1@hotmail.com.
Thanks

BottleBoss
06-01-2005, 10:47 PM
I've been doing a lot of checking and calling around for other returnable bottlers in the Maryland, Pennsyvania, and West Virginia area but am finding nothing. Anyone else know of anywhere?

Dr. Galaga
07-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Wow guys, the pictures in the latest Soda Pop Dreams look familiar!

Mr Zabe
07-20-2005, 02:33 PM
I just read this thread. So cool to see the pictures of those returnables sitting on the grocery store shelves. I must be living in a time warp as I have not see those kind of returnables in ages (maybe since the mid 70's????)

Thanks for the memories. :cool:

[ 07-20-2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ithastabeshasta
07-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Galaga:
Wow guys, the pictures in the latest Soda Pop Dreams look familiar! I wouldn't know, I don't get soda pop dreams anymore as I felt it focused to much on Coca Cola. If some of my pictures are in it I may have sent him some a while back.

Dr. Galaga
07-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Actually, they are the ones from Android and BottleBoss. I haven't had a chance to look at much of it but it looks like one of the stories is Android and his quest for returnables in his VW.

BTW: I would call this the Pepsi edition!

ithastabeshasta
07-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Well at least it wasn't another Coca Cola edition, there may be hope!

BottleBoss
07-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Yea, Blair asked if he could use my pictures and I said: 'No problem'. I haven't seen the issue yet.

Dr. Galaga
08-01-2005, 12:59 PM
I want to thank ithastabeshasta for his information. I passed through the area that he talked about and picked up some stuff. I came from Ontario, so I picked up some Sour Apple Crush and I also stopped in Stevens Point and picked up some soda made by Point Brewery.
http://home.comcast.net/~dr.galaga/images/sodas.jpg

I stopped by a grocery store in Seymour since the bottler isn't open much and I picked up 2 7oz. variety cases.
http://home.comcast.net/~dr.galaga/images/sodacase.jpg

Didn't stop by the New London Kist plant since I couldn't fit any more in my truck since I also had camping equipment in it!

Android
08-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Galaga:
Actually, they are the ones from Android and BottleBoss. I haven't had a chance to look at much of it but it looks like one of the stories is Android and his quest for returnables in his VW.

BTW: I would call this the Pepsi edition! Yeah, that was me! He asked me if I'd write up something similar to what I've posted here and I did so, and sent some pictures. Looked pretty good actually. That was a sneaky way of getting me to subscribe to the magazine though... hehe.

andy

No Soda
08-27-2005, 06:17 PM
I just returned from Prince Edward Island, Canada's smallest province, which bans the sale of carbonated soft drinks in non-refillable containers. Please bear with me as this is my first attempt at uploading photos to the board. http://photobucket.com/albums/b118/nosoda/?action=view&current=pepsi1.jpg

No Soda
08-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Okay, sorry, 'bout that redface.gif . As I said before, Prince Edward Island, Canada, mandates that all carbonated beverages be sold in refillable bottles. These were all purchased in August 2005.
Here are some Coke products I found. The CCE bottler's code is RV. http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/nosoda/coke.jpg Due to new nutrition labeling requirements, Coke is phasing out the 750ml Countour bottles in favor of the paper label bottle shown.

And some Pepsi products. Pepsi recently bought out the local bottler on the Island, Seaman's Beverages, which had a line of their own flavors. They are still made but not as widely available. They also bottled 7-up and some ACL 750 and 300 ml bottles are still in use.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/nosoda/pepsi1.jpg

The little 300mL bottles are sold in the 12-pack box in the back. Pepsi also uses a 300-ml paper lable bottle for Pepsi and all other Pepsi products sold in the province. Note that there are also two types of Pepsi 750-ml bottles-the swirl and the paper lable bottle.

Single (355 and 300 mL bottles)-yep, that's Pepsi Edge in glass:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/nosoda/pepsi2.jpg

Android
08-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Looks cool. Okay I'll edit this since it looks like you figured out how to post the pics.

I wasn't aware they still used those 750ml bottles, I've got several of them from elsewhere in canada from several years ago before they got phased out. I've got some of those 12 ounce bottles too.

I really wanted to make it up to PEI last summer but ran out of time on my vacation. SO, how much are they selling these for there?

I woke up today dreaming about finding a bunch of returnables at a local grocery store. I hate it when I have dreams like that because of the disappointment of reality when I wake up. :rolleyes:

-Andy

[ 08-27-2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Android ]

No Soda
08-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Andy, I have those dreams too... on PEI, I never tired of walking into c-stores and supermarkets and seeing nothing but glass. The 750mL bottles generally go for about 69-89 cents + 40c dep, and the 355-mL bottles about C$1+20c dep.

Look In The Tunk
08-27-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm super jealous of the glass Diete Cokes and the glass Pepsi Lime.

iowacity
08-28-2005, 03:41 AM
Those returnable glass bottles with plastic caps look so weird! I'm jealous, too. I wish we had glass everywhere!

Dr. Galaga
08-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for sharing them No Soda. The Pepsi botles look pretty cool!

SamC
08-28-2005, 06:37 PM
BTW, along with Quebec and West Virginia, PEI is one of only three North American jurisdictions where Pepsi outsells Coke.

With the completion of the Confederation Bridge, which makes trucking in economy-of-scale products from elsewhere possible, I would look for a push from all of the companies for a switch from refillables to mandatory recycling.

Look In The Tunk
08-29-2005, 12:09 AM
I knew what I meant to ask now, I see a lot of old logos (early 80's) on those glass pepsi bottles (not the Prince Edward Island ones, but the other oens) and do the bottlers ever "retire" the glass returnables after a while? Or do they just live on forever until they break or never get returned?

No Soda
08-31-2005, 10:11 PM
As long as the bottles aren't broken or damaged, they can stay in circulation. I remember buying Coke in Allentown, PA in the early 1990s and many of the bottles were 25 years old!

Dr. Galaga
08-31-2005, 10:18 PM
In the 80's I always used to take the Pepsi script empties from my parents 16 oz. supply - I just came across all of them a month ago!

No Soda
08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
With the completion of the Confederation Bridge, which makes trucking in economy-of-scale products from elsewhere possible, I would look for a push from all of the companies for a switch from refillables to mandatory recycling. While the soft drink industry is virulently opposed to refilling, the PEI Govenment's position is that refilling is more environmentally sound than recycling:

www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3?number=43696&lang=F (http://www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3?number=43696&lang=F)

No Soda
09-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Avery's Beverages, a small, 101-year old bottler in New Britain, CT, still uses refillables in 12 and 32 oz sizes, though they recently have started to use some non-refillable glass due to the difficulty in getting replacement bottles.

www.averysoda.com (http://www.averysoda.com)

drpep
09-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Have you had Avery's? What flavor is Korker?

BottleBoss
09-05-2005, 10:05 PM
They look awesome. Too bad these places are always soo far away from me. I am convinced there are closer ones. I just need to find where.

BottleBoss
09-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Catawissa Bottling refills old Korker Bottles. It is a Lemon Lime, I think.

No Soda
09-11-2005, 04:04 PM
drpep, I bought two cases of Avery's 2 years ago, but did not try Korker. I'm glad they're still around, but I prefer the sodas of Foxon Park, just a 15 minute drive from home.

BottleBoss, good luck in finding indie bottlers in your area-if no luck, Foxon Park ships!

www.foxonpark.com (http://www.foxonpark.com)

Dr. Galaga
09-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by No Soda:
I prefer the sodas of Foxon Park, just a 15 minute drive from home. Wow, those prices are steep!
I wonder how much shipping is? Most places will let you calculate postage before you check out, but I couldn't seem to do this there.

excelsoda
11-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Excel Bottling Company - Breese Il still produces soda in returnable bottles.

www.excelbottling.com (http://www.excelbottling.com)

Android
11-17-2005, 04:11 AM
it's always interesting to find out about another bottler.

Reading through the Excel website, I noticed something that sounded familiar to me. After a bit of research I dug it up - the paragraph where they talk about what bottles they use - it's the exact same text that Avery's website (mentioned above) uses - just with a different company name referenced. So is this plagarism or is there any kind of relation between Avery's and Excel?

quote:

"Most of Avery's (Excel's) soda is packaged in returnable, reusable glass bottles. You may notice that some of our bottles do not have an Avery(Excel) label on them. Because replacement bottles are not readily available we use "orphaned" bottles from other bottling companies that have gone out of business."
http://www.excelbottling.com/excel.html
http://www.averysoda.com/soda.html

[ 11-17-2005, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: Android ]

glassbottlesrule
11-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Man, I would love to get some returnable DoubleCola ans Ski.

BottleBoss
11-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Looks like I will have to plan a holiday out to these places.

BottleBoss
01-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Today I went up to Catawissa Bottling and picked up more sodas. I posted some better photos I what they carry for you all here:
1. Crates of what I bought.
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=259381
2. Several of the Big Bens flavors.
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=259382
3. Different Double Cola Bottles.
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=259383
4. Pictures of the many different types of bottles the use from other companies:
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=259386
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=259387
5. Image of a Catawissa Crate from the side.
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=259388
What do you think?

[ 01-07-2006, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: BottleBoss ]

BottleBoss
01-07-2006, 09:54 PM
One last picture of the two types of actual Catawissa Bottles:
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=259389

ithastabeshasta
01-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Cool pictures, I hope to actually make it there this year when I travel to PA for a beer collectibles show. Didn't make it last year.

Android
01-08-2006, 02:58 AM
What does Double Cola actually taste like, anyway?

-Andy

Dr. Galaga
01-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the pics BB.

How long is it going to take you to drink all of them?

BottleBoss
01-08-2006, 09:35 PM
About 5 months or so depending on how many I share. 2 cases will go away wednesday that I will be taking in for a cub scout pack meeting with a troop of boys I volunteer with.

BottleBoss
01-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Here's a picture of one of their Moxie bottles.
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=7453MgSLO&i=259641