PDA

View Full Version : High Fructose Corn Syrup is DISGUSTING!

DietCokeEnthusiast
07-23-2005, 06:53 PM
I've been drinking Coke Zero for the past month (and Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda for a month before that). All in all, I haven't had any Coke in a really long time (probably about 6 months or so...just Diet Coke, DCswS, and CZ. I decided to grab a Coke at a convenience store and it was absolutely awful! I don't miss HFCS and it makes Coke absolutely unbareable to drink! I really think that an original product should taste better than its calorie-free versions...but Coke Zero's flavour is just so much lighter and much more appetising!

Thoughts?

Look In The Tunk
07-23-2005, 06:57 PM
I was ticked that that new lipton green tea in the plastic bottles (the citrus flavor) had HFCS in it.

And I hate it when fruit "juice" has it too.

Mr Zabe
07-23-2005, 09:25 PM
This is strange.
Lately when I drink Classic Coke out a can or bottle, it just does not taste like it use too.

But when I have a McDonald's or Wendy's fountain classic coke,it tastes super good. It must be the ice factor. Wendy's has the best clear ice.

I must be goofy. :D

[ 07-23-2005, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Yeah Zabe, you're goofy.

Originally posted by TheConnieVandelayShow:
I was ticked that that new lipton green tea in the plastic bottles (the citrus flavor) had HFCS in it.
Yeah, the new Nesteas are very disappointing.

Over the past few years, I've definitely started to notice HFCS alot more than I used to(especially in 20 oz bottles of Coke, for some reason). Unfortnately, I have no other choice. As poor quality as HFCS is, and as crappy it is that the soda companies use this inferior sweetener for monetary reasons, and as sucky as it is that this is all because of sugar subsidies from the US gov't, I simply can't refrain from consuming it, because I'd be missing out on all my favorites.

SEV

Android
07-24-2005, 12:36 AM
I guess it doesn't make as much of a difference in fountains - because back in the early 80s, Coke made their sweetener changes FIRST to the fountain drinks. First from from sucrose to sucrose/fructose blend, then the switch to all fructose. Maybe they figure there are so many other variables in how fountain drinks can taste that the sweetener wasn't as important there.

andy

jblaviback
07-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I agree with Zabe. Coke coming out of the fountain just tastes better for some reason.

Mr Zabe
07-24-2005, 01:08 AM
Just maybe.
Just maybe eating high fat, high salty and grilled/fried fast food enhances the taste of soda pop?

I have noticed that eating a fast food meal does seem to make the soda pop taste better. My arm chair guess is that soda pop is engineered to taste better with high concentrations of salt?

I hardly ever use the salt shaker at home. Once in a great while I will salt a baked potato; I have noticed that my soda pop (flavor does not matter) will taste better.

[ 07-24-2005, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DietCokeEnthusiast
07-24-2005, 01:13 PM
That's cos salt will dry out your mouth, and any liquid will thus taste better.

BottleBoss
07-24-2005, 01:26 PM
To think what I have been missing in life by not paying any attention to things like this! Huh.

billygtexas
07-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by DietCokeEnthusiast:
I decided to grab a Coke at a convenience store and it was absolutely awful! I don't miss HFCS and it makes Coke absolutely unbareable to drink! I dont think its unusual at all! I have freinds and relatives who drink diet sodas all the time and when they have a HFCS sweetened soda they cant stand it, or think its too sweet.

I guess the body compensates to having less sugar if you use artifical sweeteners for a long period. So when you get a shot of the "real thing" it overloads the taste buds.

I'm drinking Coke Zero all the time (it's replaced Diet Pepsi in my house) and I hope I get the same reaction in the future. tongue.gif