PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi / 3rd tier bottler codes - need help

Cheer-wined
11-28-2003, 09:32 PM
Can someone help with these plant codes (all are 12oz cans):

VS - found on a Sunkist grape in east TN, produced by Pepsi
PG - found on Pepsi products in SW VA

PS, GC - most of our local Pepsi products come from Pepsi Bottling ventures in Raleigh. I have seen their products with either of these codes. Does a single manufacturing location sometimes have multiple codes?

Also does anyone know how to decipher the codes from All-American Bottling Corp.?

bigrich
11-28-2003, 09:39 PM
All-American codes I know: Oklahoma City: A, Louisville: B.

Cheer-wined
11-28-2003, 09:52 PM
thanks, that's a start - I've seen four different codes so far, H and G on longnecks, B and K on cans. Anyone else?

fusion
11-29-2003, 12:03 AM
In this area, most Pepsi carries these four codes-

BE - Baltimore, MD
LE - Unsure, possibly Lancaster, PA?
QE - Wilmington, Delaware (my guess)
SY - Salisbury, MD

Maybe VS is Valdosta, GA?

I don't think one plant has more than one code, but often a code has nothing to do with the town the plant is in.. Example, CCBCC's Charlotte plant code is SY, because the plant is named Snyder.

RC Winchester product carries the code EB, from what I have seen.

Cheer-wined
11-29-2003, 12:24 AM
SY is Charlotte, not Salisbury, right?
Here's an example of what we have:

Sierra Mist, 12oz can, "PREPARED BY PEPSI BOTTLING VENTURES, RALEIGH NC", code PS

MD Code Red, 12oz can, "PREPARED BY PEPSI BOTTLING VENTURES, RALEIGH N.C.",code GC

So if they're both prepared by PBV Raleigh how are the codes different? Am I missing something here?

teamtitan512
11-29-2003, 02:56 AM
I've been wondering where LE is, that and BE are around here.

I think Pepsi produces product in Johnstown, PA, but I'm unsure of their code.

Terry K
11-29-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Cheer-wined:
SY is Charlotte, not Salisbury, right?
Here's an example of what we have:

Sierra Mist, 12oz can, "PREPARED BY PEPSI BOTTLING VENTURES, RALEIGH NC", code PS

MD Code Red, 12oz can, "PREPARED BY PEPSI BOTTLING VENTURES, RALEIGH N.C.",code GC

So if they're both prepared by PBV Raleigh how are the codes different? Am I missing something here? Generally speaking, most decent sized bottling works have several plants that run different things.

For example, Coke has this tendency to pull products from multiple plants, simply due to the volume and number of products they run.

In Kansas City, its possible to see products with codes WI, LX, and SL (WI is Wichita, LX Lenexa, and SL St Louis), simply becuase a given plant can't run everything a local bottler may sell in a given market.

In Springfield, Ed Rice runs plant OZ (Ozarks Coke), but sources product he does not run from LX/WI, SL, or even WM (Memphis) and OC/EE (Coca Cola Great Plains)

So, a bottler may say a given name but run things at different plants simply because they want to shift the load (and its also possible that in a given market doesn't even sell the product it makes...OZ, for example, runs and sells Pibb Xtra in markets outside of Springfield, but not territory they own themselves)

Cheer-wined
11-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Terry, so do I understand correctly - generally speaking, the "produced by..." verbage found on the can/bottle is not necessarily accurate i.e. it may produced at another location?

With the example stated above this would make sense, because PBV has a smaller plant in Winston-Salem as well, maybe one of the codes is Winston-Salem and one is Raleigh.

Android
11-29-2003, 11:20 AM
I really wish someone would just put together a website that lists all the different bottler codes and how to read the date codes for bottlers that don't use expiration dates.

fusion
11-29-2003, 07:56 PM
The SY for Salisbury I mentioned was a Pepsi code, sorry for the confusion.

Pepsi Bottling Ventures is the creation of a merger between PepCom (owned by Suntory, a Japanese beverage company) and five smaller PepsiCo owned facilities (pre PBG). Their HQ may be in Raleigh, but they also have territory in New York (Long Island), Virginia, and South Carolina.

They have a large production facility in Garner, NC, which produces bottles, cans, bag in box, Aquafina, and pre-mix. They also used to have one in Rocky Mount, which was destroyed in hurricane Floyd. Another facility is in Winston-Salem, NC.

That's what i've found in my online research so far.

fusion
11-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Also, in response to Terry's post.

CCE has some facilities that are older, or are dedicated to making just one package. That's pretty much the way it is in the Mid-Atlantic. Baltimore is a can facility. They make Fridge Packs, 6 packs, and 24 packs. They used to make 4 packs and 18 packs as well (and probably 20 packs, too).

Alexandria, Virginia is a bottle facility. They only make two liters and one liters.

Silver Spring (an old sales center) just makes 20oz and bag in box. I suspect that Alexandria ran them before this facility was remodeled, but I'm not sure.

Richmond is the newest facility, and the most versitile. They run every package, but mostly for the Virginia and the one NC sales center. However, when demand is too high for the other plants, we will get 12 packs, or 24 packs, or 2 liters from them (rarely do we get their 20oz, though). Funny thing is, all the Mello Yello FPs I've seen in our area have come from there. They recently added on a Dasani line, which produces 20oz, 6pk 16.9oz, and 12pk 16.9oz. This facility also produces 16.9oz for the whole Mid-Atlantic Division, plus they also sell some to Central and other indies.

Even with all that, sometimes things happen.. too much demand, not enough of a brand, or maybe they've ran out of concentrate, labels, cans, etc.. So they source from Twinsburg... Twinsburg makes everything including Dasani.

A lot of the indies never had can lines, they bought from other bottlers, or places like Mid-Atlantic Canners.

Terry K
11-30-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Android:
I really wish someone would just put together a website that lists all the different bottler codes and how to read the date codes for bottlers that don't use expiration dates. We at the STS are compiling such a list for your viewing pleasure. I will hopefully have it posted soon. :D

Terry K
11-30-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Cheer-wined:
Terry, so do I understand correctly - generally speaking, the "produced by..." verbage found on the can/bottle is not necessarily accurate i.e. it may produced at another location?

With the example stated above this would make sense, because PBV has a smaller plant in Winston-Salem as well, maybe one of the codes is Winston-Salem and one is Raleigh. You're absolutely right. The name posted on the cap is just the name and HQ of the bottler, not the actual production facility. ALL PBG product says "Produced by Local Bottlers for the Pepsi Bottling Group, Inc., Somers, NY 10589"

CCE says "Bottled by a member of the CCE bottling group, Atlanta, GA 30339"

Indie bottlers, eg, Ozarks Coke, list their name and city of HQ on each cap (Ozarks Coca-Cola/Dr Pepper, Springfield, MO 65807).

In my area, California, it would be impractical to sell product acutally produced in NY here.

Cheer-wined
11-30-2003, 12:06 PM
ok, got it now. I knew for the big ones like CCE that the location was generic, but now I see that it applies everywhere. so what's printed on the side of the can/bottle/etc. is the legal entity that does the production, but the code is the only accurate way to know the production facility. thanks!

RunWithDaLilGuy
11-30-2003, 08:15 PM
terry k, you guys at sts rock.

RunWithDaLilGuy
11-30-2003, 09:25 PM
the side of the can is generally where the HQ is. if it's small, like say, coca-cola middlesboro (which you should've found in harlan county, kentucky), their general offices would probably be in the same building or right next door to the bottling plant. however, cce's HQ is in atlanta. for michigan (our own division), the HQ is in belleville but nowhere near any sort of processing plant (dt: detroit, gr: grand rapids, fl: flint, paw paw as well).

one place i want to go to is in the UP, there's this one area serviced by, get this, Bink's Coke. Bink's?!?!?! Yes, and they're also a beer/wine and possibly a liquor distributor as well. i kid you not. supposedly, they also have third tier brands like snapple and jones. that last one is a rumor but these guys are indie and supposedly proud of it. one day when i have a free time i'll call up there and see what they've got, i bet it's pure lunacy, maybe downright Binky.

drpep
11-30-2003, 10:33 PM
Where is the "UP"?

drpep
11-30-2003, 10:34 PM
LE - Is there a place called Laural Pennsylvania. That sticks in my mind. Near Pittsburgh?

[ 11-30-2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
11-30-2003, 10:39 PM
sorry, upper peninsula. i've been caught being a michigander. how lame.

fusion
12-01-2003, 12:35 AM
Be careful with some of the newer Coke packaging, though. Since Coke formed the Coca-Cola Bottlers' Association (a company that purchases raw materials in bulk for small bottlers and passes the savings on to them), some cans have showed up with "Canned under the authority of the Coca-Cola Company, Atlanta, Georgia by a member of the Coca-Cola Bottlers' Association, Atlanta, Georgia 30318. I have some DP and Fanta from Philly Coke that say that.

teamtitan512
12-01-2003, 01:00 AM
Laurel, PA? Nope, not that I know of, but I would assume maybe that there is a production center around Pittsburgh. I'm pretty sure Johnstown has a production center considering the building is WAY too large to be a sales center there.

Terry K
12-01-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Be careful with some of the newer Coke packaging, though. Since Coke formed the Coca-Cola Bottlers' Association (a company that purchases raw materials in bulk for small bottlers and passes the savings on to them), some cans have showed up with "Canned under the authority of the Coca-Cola Company, Atlanta, Georgia by a member of the Coca-Cola Bottlers' Association, Atlanta, Georgia 30318. I have some DP and Fanta from Philly Coke that say that. Swire and (I believe) Great Plains also use this, as well.

I think most indie bottlers still put their names on caps of bottles and so on that they run, but I could be off on that.

Terry K
12-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
terry k, you guys at sts rock. We Try :D

I can say we have something else major in the works as soon as some logistical issues are resolved, and I think *everyone* will like what we've got in the works.

Cheer-wined
01-08-2004, 07:14 PM
other Pepsi codes and miscellaneous notes
AD = Charlotte NC (Sunkist 5 flavors in 20oz, no DP)
GE = Roanoke VA (PBG, DP, Schweppes)
GC = Garner NC (PBV's main plant, outside of Raleigh, Nu-Grape, Hawaiian Punch, Sunkist orange, Schweppes)
PS = Winston-Salem NC (also PBV)
GF = Hickory NC (17 counties in the western part of NC, I *think* part of PBG; Sunkist orange and DP, lotta stuff comes from Carolina Canners in Cheraw)
ZV = Charlottesville VA (PBG, our deli bottles come from there)
NE = Newport News, VA (PBG,grape slice in 20oz/2l,DP)

VS, PG - not sure but I think Marion VA and Princeton WV

[ 01-13-2004, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

drpep
04-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Just bumping this up to show the poster asking about code PG that this was asked 8 years ago and no real answer was given then.