PDA

View Full Version : Info needed about Canfield's Diet Chocolate Soda

sodadood
12-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Hi - I'm working on a story about the A.J. Canfield Co.'s 'Diet Chocolate Fudge Soda'... I've got lots of info about when it was big in the 1980s, but not sure if it was discontinued in late 1980s and then brought back in its current form? Does anyone know if it's still owned by A.J. Canfield's or is it just using the original name on the cans? And if the A.J. Canfield Co. isn't still operating, what ever became of it? Lots of questions... would appreciate any responses if possible.

Thanks!
Blair, Soda Pop Dreams Magazine

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-06-2003, 01:34 PM
cadbury owns it. i rarely see it, mainly in sdquat 20oz PET and 6pk can and usually i just see the diet flavors. about as popular as Dr Brown's. in the midwest it's distributed by Kehe Foods out of Chicago, Ill.

50/50
12-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Dt Fudge was never out of production. Canfield's was sold to Select Beverages (Darien, IL) in '96. They continued producing it, as did Cadbury when they created American Bottling Co. (when Cadbury put their 14 state group of independents, inclusing Select Beverages, together in '98).

Bob Green's throw away column lit the fuse for this item, w/his follow-up column a couple of weeks later ("Gee, since my first column I'm having trouble finding it...")really kicking it.

50/50
12-10-2003, 10:27 PM
Select Beverages purchased Canfield's in May of '95. Sorry 'bout that!

Tony W
12-11-2003, 10:44 AM
I'd like to see you do a story about A. J. Canfield's. I grew up drinking their flavors: Draft Root Beer (winner of the Chicago Tribune's best Root Beer contest), Swiss Cream, Honey Bee Orange, and many others. I don't know the exact year Select bought Canfield's, but the root beer, cream soda & 50/50 (like squirt) was sold here in Davenport until about '97 or '98. Then the logo was changed to reflect the sale. Since then the root beer is not to be found. I called Select and asked them about that, and they said their contracts with other root beer company's prevent them from producing Canfield's root beer anymore. Since Select bought Canfield's, they have let that brand go to hell in Chicago. You can't find it in most stores. I've only seen the Swiss Cream, 50/50 and sparkling water in some Jewel Food Stores...but you really have to look for it. The brand use to be very visible in Chicago with billboards painted on the sides of buildings. Maybe one day, I hope, it will come back, just like someone brought back Jays Potato Chips in Chicago. You can still find their Diet Chocolate Soda and sometimes Diet Chocolate Cherry.

Cheer-wined
12-22-2003, 10:13 PM
are all of Canfield's chocolate sodas diet only?

Inc. magazine's website mentions a 1987 article on the A.J. Canfield company.

Article (http://www.inc.com/magazine/19900801/5285.html)

[ 12-23-2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

DPDude
02-07-2004, 02:22 AM
Several Canfields flavors are still available in south Texas in HEB stores. Back in the 80's San Antonio based Texas Beverages (bought out by Cott) bottled the regular and diet Canfields Chocolate and Cherry Chocolate mint flavors.

Hacksaw
02-09-2004, 10:11 PM
I used to see Canfield's more often in the past here in San Jose. I've only seen the Vanilla Cream once, & that was in Victorville 15+ years ago.