PDA

View Full Version : Staunton, Winchester, Hagerstown, Chambersburg

Cheer-wined
12-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Planning a trip to Grantville PA (near Hershey) for New Year and have “negotiated” some stops along I-81 with my co-passengers. I figure we have time for one stop in each of the above mentioned cities so I am trying to make sure they’re darn good ones.

Know we have board members around several of these areas so I need your input!

Here’s my shopping list
Jolt (any)
50:50
Cherikee Red
Dad’s
Hires
Cotton Club
A-Treat (maybe I should look further north in PA for this one?)
Fanta other than grape, orange, strawberry, pineapple
Sunkist other than orange, grape
Slice other than orange
Nehi other than grape, orange, peach (but would like to find grape/orange in cans)
Still no Northern Neck in the valley?
Any Pepsi Blue in cans?

I despise plastic so if you know places that have cans or glass that’s better. Which supermarkets in these areas tend to have the best variety?

teamtitan512
12-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Kroger in Staunton and Harrisonburg has an excellent variety. Food Lion's is OK. Martin's and Weis don't have wonderful variety, IMO. Giant Eagle is OK.

Jolt - NO
50:50 - Not until you get up toward Pittsburgh more, where ABC does third-tier.
Cherikee Red - same as 50:50, ABC has it.
Dad's - NO
Hires - Yes, in Winchester, RC Winchester gets it in from Independent Beverage out of Charlotte. You can only find it in 20 oz. in the 7Up cooler at the Super Wal-Mart there.
Cotton Club - Again, to ABC areas.
A-Treat - further North.
Fanta isn't even done by Central Coke. You won't see ANY from Staunton to Chambersburg. There may be a little Orange and Grape around Harrisburg from CCE, but I don't think they have any Fanta anymore either.
Sunkist is only offered in orange here. Diet is even a chore to find. I think Davis does it, but RC Winchester does not.
Slice is only in Orange and Diet Orange.
Nehi and Northern Neck aren't here

Pepsi Blue may be in cans around Staunton and Harrisonburg as CPG-Pepsi Shenandoah still had it when I was there last around the middle of November. They also still had Mr. Green, and had NuGrape, Pepsi-bottled 7Up, Cheerwine and Diet Cheerwine, Sun Drop too.

Plus, get to Winchester, and you can find the coveted non-Pepsi Mountain Dew from there. You'll find it pretty much anywhere in town, markets, Super Wal-Mart, or any Sheetz or 7-11. Their DP I've heard is much better than PBG DP, which may be why I hate DP so much, all I've ever had is PBG's junk up here in Cumberland.

There's not much glass around here. You can get Schweppes and Canada Dry in deli bottles, and maybe club soda and tonic water, but that's about it, except for the Coke longnecks around here in major brands. I occassionally see some Pepsi and Mountain Dew deli bottles, but I think they're only over in Northern West Virginia.

Central Coke bottles the Coke from Staunton up to Shippensburg. After that, in immediate Harrisburg (most of Cumberland County and all of Dauphin County) is CCE.

Davis bottles third-tier around Harrisburg. RC Winchester does DP from Chambersburg down to Winchester, and Davis does some of the other products. However, RC Winchester recently has been doing some of the other brands now too.

Pepsi is Pepsi Shenandoah in Staunton and Harrisonburg up through Woodstock, and then Winchester on is PBG.

DP is regained by Pepsi in Harrisburg, from there down it's RC Winchester, and then it's third-tier bought off PBG (might as well be Pepsi's stuff - it tastes like it).

fusion
12-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Northern Neck was in Hagerstown for a hot minute, but the stuff ran out of code before they sold it all. They "fire-saled" what they had left, just to get rid of it.

A-Treat is an Allentown-area beverage, so you won't find it in any of those areas...Well, MAYBE you will find it at the Giant in Hershey, but I seriously doubt it. It's a brand new store, and I hear it's a sight to see.

Lancaster is probably the closest place to Hershey that has A-Treat.

Definately stop in RC Winchester territory and get yourself some DP and Dew. Even their Red Fusion tastes better than the Coke and Pepsi stuff around these parts.

You won't find any other Fanta flavors in that area. Philly does Black Cherry, Consolidated does Peach. Both of their territories are really far away from Hershey.

Jolt is produced by Paul's Beverages in New Castle, Pa, which is north of Pittsburgh. I see their stuff in different places, but it's mostly carried by small indie distributors. Don't recall seeing any around the areas you mentioned stopping in. They also produce Dad's-- I've seen their 20oz.

Hagerstown is a Central Coke area, so you'll find Barq's Red Cream there, if you haven't tried it already. The Super Wally in Hagerstown is right off of I-81 (take the 40 West exit). In Chambersburg, it's on 30 (East of I-81). There are also plenty of Sheetz stores at these stops, and they often have some intersting stuff in their coolers. In Staunton, the Super Wally is off of 250, West of 81. The Sheetz store in front sells CF DP in 20oz, which I hadn't seen until I was there a few years ago. I also found Dublin DP at that Wally.. but they haven't had it since, and I've stopped as well as others have stopped, and no luck.

I've only seen Cherikee Red and 50:50 in the northeast part of PA, where I believe Crystal Soda bottles it. Oh, and when I went out to Ohio, I saw it around Pittsburgh, too.

You're not exactly going to places that are a hotbed of beverage excitement. You will find Sierra Mist handled by a 3rd tier and Dew by RC Winchester, which are two oddities.

Cheer-wined
12-08-2003, 10:29 PM
thanks for all that info, it helps a lot. I'll definitely try the MD and DP around Winchester. Plus I'll check out the super wallys for Hires and other stuff. Interesting that Hires comes from Independent in Charlotte, our local distributors only carry their A&W, as far as root beers go. I guess Independent doesn't send any A&W up that way so they're trying Hires instead?
We'll be in Hershey so I'll try to check out that new Giant too.
It's a pity that Crystal Soda and A-Treat don't distribute around Harrisburg, it looks like they make some interesting stuff.

ps the barq's cream will be high on my find list too, I haven't tried that in a loooong time.

[ 12-09-2003, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

teamtitan512
12-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Central has been pushing Seagram's hard here at least to the west. The Winchester Wal-Mart Supercenter is off Exit 313 and then you'd turn right, go around the mall, and it's behind the mall.

Martinsburg's Supercenter is in the mall, parallel to I-81.

Harrisonburg has a new Supercenter off Exit 247B right off I-81.

karks88
12-09-2003, 10:30 AM
You wouldn't happen to be visiting Penn National race track up in Grantville would ya? smile.gif I go there every once in awhile.

As for your wish list, I can only speak about Harrisburg/Chambersburg but here's what I know:

Jolt - You probably won't find this in any grocery stores in this area, but you can usually find the cola in 20oz plastic (sorry) in convenience stores. I know the 7-11's in the area carry it and I'm pretty sure Sheetz does too. Sheetz are a little closer to I-81 as well.

Cherikee Red/Cotton Club - I've only ever seen it in a vending machine in Camp Hill, but I didn't actually test to see if they really had it. Otherwise, you will have to go up into NE PA as Fusion said. I was born in Scranton and they always have it up there. It's possible a convenience store may have it are Hershey though.

A-Treat - Haven't seen any in this area but I know again, NE PA has it.

Hires - Haven't seen it in Central PA for years unfortunately.

Fanta - The Wal Mart in Carlisle had Grape and Orange for several months but hasn't carried it for awhile. That was the only place in Central PA I ever saw it.

Crush - The Wal Mart in Chambersburg has Orange, Grape and I believe Strawberry in glass!

Pepsi Blue - It seems to be long gone here, you might find a c-store that has out of date stuff though.

The other stuff on the list I've never seen in these parts.

kbw guy
12-09-2003, 11:09 AM
You can find A-treat sodas in Redners Wharehouse markets some of them are around Harrisburg and Lancaster areas,Redners has a website with locations, they will carry plastic and cans in a variety of flavors, depending on the shelf space in each store. You might be able to find it in some smaller grocery stores south of the Susquehanna, not sure where off the top of my head. Hope this helps out.

Cheer-wined
12-09-2003, 11:37 AM
thanks kbw guy, I checked the Redner's website, there is one in Palmyra just north of Hershey and they carry A-treat!

fusion
12-09-2003, 11:45 AM
I totally forgot about Redner's! I used to travel up 81 and 78 on my way from Maryland to New Jersey, and I would often take side trips, through Hersey, Lebanon, Allentown, and so on. At that time, the only Super Walmart on the trip was in Lebanon, so I often stopped there to stock up on various things.

Redner's is an interesting store.. and they have good prices, too.

Cheer-wined
12-09-2003, 11:46 AM
karks, never been to Penn National, my cuz' is going to play at a new year's party up there. hillbilly music, it should be a blast. i hear that the local sheep are already getting nervous :D .

golee1
12-09-2003, 01:52 PM
Jiffee Mart has Nehi Grape and Orange in cans, and I think Hire's in cans also. Here's how to get there. (it's about 10 minutes off the interstate)

-Exit 225 of interstate 81
-275 West Until it ends
-When 275 ends, turn left onto 250
-250 takes you into Staunton, at first light turn right onto Grubert, Jiffee Mart is right there on the right, can's miss it.

While you're in the area, turn right out of Jiffee Mart. When you get to the light go straight into the shopping center. There is a Big Lots there that had Cotton Club and Dad's last time I was there, but alas, only in Plastic (mayb have been some cans, but I don't remember seeing them, but then again I wasn't really looking).

Hope this helps.

karks88
12-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Hey I live in town so I don't know anything about those sheep smile.gif

Cheer-wined
12-09-2003, 07:54 PM
golee1, thanks, yes it helps. We're planning to hit some of the antique shops around Beverley St. so we'll make a pitstop at the Jiffee Mart.

drpep
12-09-2003, 09:34 PM
As many times as I have made the trip my mind has now drawn a blank. :(

Cheer-wined
12-09-2003, 09:50 PM
btw, any opinions about the selection at Shurfine or Karns supermarkets?

drpep
12-09-2003, 10:01 PM
The Shurfine in Enola, a bit out of your way, is not to exciting. Karks88 has some near him and he has never said much.

[ 12-09-2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

karks88
12-10-2003, 11:08 AM
Yeah, the Shurfines around Carlisle don't have too much interesting stuff from Coke or Pepsi. You will find some deli-style glass bottled 7up and 1 liter plastic of Wink, but that's about it. Oh, and PA Dutch Birch Beer in case that isn't easily found in your area.

karks88
12-11-2003, 08:08 AM
I have something good to report, I found some A-Treat at the Texaco in Grantville last night! If you're coming from I-81 North, take the Grantville exit (I believe it's #80) and take a left. You will see the Texaco almost immediately on the left side of the road (there is also an Exxon right across the street). They have a bunch of different flavors in 20oz. bottles. I bought a cream soda, I remember my grandmother always used to have it (and Cherikee Red) when I'd visit. It's good stuff!

Cheer-wined
12-11-2003, 05:37 PM
OH YEAH good stuff. I've only tried their birch beer and cream soda once, liked them, this time I want to try their other flavors. I'll check out the Texaco - isn't that in front of the Holiday Inn? We went to the "Winner's Circle" bar there last time .... Yuengling on draft ...[insert Homer Simpson drooling sound here...]

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-11-2003, 07:30 PM
yuengling...drool...

karks88
12-12-2003, 08:11 AM
It is just down the street from the Holiday Inn. You can actually see the Texaco as you're coming off the exit. Then, if you go down that way a little further is the horse track.

Cheer-wined
12-13-2003, 01:14 AM
Found a few things from my list at the Big Lots in Mt. Airy (Mayberry) today - they had Dad's orange & red, Cherikee Red and Cotton Club. Plus something called Dogs n' Suds which I passed on. Seems like the soda section in each Big Lots is different, which makes them all the more interesting.

fusion
12-13-2003, 04:39 PM
I was suprised to see A-Treat in 24oz PET, 12oz cans, and 2 liters in a dollar store today (Dollarland for those in the greater Philadelphia area). 24oz were 3/$1, cans were 5/$1. Not sure about the 2L.

drpep
12-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Dog n Suds is a small midwest chain that serves its own Rootbeer and also, of course, hot dogs.
Here in NY state because of the bottle return law the Big Lots do have carbonated beverages.
By the way the Mayberry General Store has a good selection of West Jefferson products and the bookstore/news stand has Nehi. I was suprised the book store had Hustler for sale. I did'nt think Sheriff Andy would tolerate that smile.gif

[ 12-14-2003, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

Cheer-wined
12-15-2003, 10:46 PM
the dogs n' suds thing made me think of giving the dog a bath so that one just didn't set right with me. :D
Funny thing about Griffith, he never comes around here anymore. They named a stretch of US-52 after him last year, and he showed up for that ceremony, but that's about it.

drpep
12-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Cheer-wined, when in Grantville keep an eye out for Stewarts Birch Beer. You will be in or near birch beer country. Also if you have time you are about 1-2 hours as the crow flys from Catawissa Bottling. But being a holiday week they may be closed.

[ 12-16-2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

kbw guy
12-19-2003, 03:01 PM
You will also be getting close to Kutztown Birch Beer country.

Cheer-wined
12-22-2003, 09:44 PM
DP, I'll be looking for the Stewarts in PA. Catawissa is one place I'd like to visit - BTW I saw one of their old metal ad signs at a club in Winston-Salem a couple of weeks back. Probably won't get there this trip but maybe next spring.

We can get all the Kutztown drinks around here, at stores in the Amish communities. Good stuff.

Cheer-wined
12-24-2003, 10:48 PM
ok, one more stop added on this trip, this time I need some advice for the Philly area.

We are supposed to go to the mummers parade and we will be near city hall. can someone suggest a convenience store in the area (it will be Jan. 1 so I hope something is open) that would have Fanta Black Cherry or any other local stuff?

Corey
12-26-2003, 12:52 PM
If anyone needs information on Crystal Soda's fine quality beverages, such as 50/50, Cherikee Red, Crystal Club: Ginger-Ale, Orange, Root Beer, Birchola (Birch Beer), Swiss Creme, etc.

Please Contact Crystal Soda @ (570) 347-5661

Attn: Dan Thomas - Marketing Manager

Cheer-wined
01-03-2004, 12:37 AM
Here are the places I found stuff…

A-treat in several flavors at Texaco in Grantville, Redner’s in Palmyra, Weis Markets in Harrisburg and Wal-mart in Lancaster. Their “big blue” looks interesting.

The Exxon off I-81 in Grantville had one row of very sad looking Choglit cans, a year past the “best by” date.

Canada Dry cranberry g/a and Frozen Run birch beer, both 12oz from Abarta-BH, at Redner’s in Palmyra and Beer Zoo in Harrisburg.

Hires root beer and Moxie from Cro-Pac at the Beer Zoo in Harrisburg.

Fanta birch beer (fountain drink) at the Bird-in-Hand restaurant near Lancaster. One of the best birch beers I’ve ever tasted.

Giant in Harrisburg off Union Deposit Rd. had Penna. Dutch birch beer in 4-pack longnecks, only place I’d seen it in glass.

Lion Brewery root beer in longnecks at Fox Markets off Union Deposit Rd. in Harrisburg.

Barq’s red cream from Mid Atlantic-HM at Giant Eagle in Hagerstown, Wal-mart in Winchester, Food Lion in Winchester.

Stewart’s birch beer at Wal-Mart in Winchester VA, and all over Harrisburg. I tried one at the Beer Zoo but it was kinda flat.

Nehi orange and grape 12oz from Independent Bev. at the Jiffee Mart in Staunton.

Also around Winchester I saw several C-S products from Independent Beverage that we don’t get here, Hires 2L, grape Crush 20oz., Country Time pink lemonade 12oz. etc.

Didn’t see any Mr. Green, and Pepsi Blue only at one c-store near Hershey. Coming down the valley I found Root 66, tried the root beer but thought it was too sweet – tasted like cotton candy.

Last but not least…some new competition for the red and blue guys…
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/live_bait.jpg

golee1
01-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Glad to see you made it to the Jiffee Mart. Hoper you enjoyed your trip.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-03-2004, 10:26 PM
i LOVE seeing live bait vending machines! since i live on/near the detroit river, they're everywhere.

karks88
01-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Wow, Hires in Harrisburg??? I'm going to the Beer Zoo!

Cheer-wined
01-04-2004, 11:33 AM
It was a pretty good trip ... great weather, advice from this board, and a gps made it much easier. that gps probably added an extra year to my life through stress reduction smile.gif .

didn't get to spend as much time around Staunton as I would've liked. sacrificed that for more stops in the upper valley and PA since it's further away. it's interesting for me how beverage retail works in PA, with the package stores and all. the beer variety is so much better than NC. Beer Zoo rocks!

a couple other things i recall from the trip:
Yoo-hoo 15 ounce cans at the Wal-Mart in Winchester. Yoo-hoo tallboys?! what a hoot.

saw too much of that demon plastic. some of the Sheetz stores I went in had nothing but PET. with all these new smaller PET sizes I wonder what will happen to cans and glass. :(

those live bait vendos make me smile every time - especially when they're sitting right next to a Coke or Pepsi machine. i wonder if anyone's ever put money in the wrong machine...