PDA

View Full Version : Fanta, no suprise here.

fusion
12-12-2003, 08:50 PM
"Steve Heyer, Coke's president and chief operating officer, said the company has faced challenges in recent years in growing its Sprite and Fanta brands in North America, and volume growth in the region for Fanta, in particular, is not where the company wants it to be. He said Fanta's performance has been strong in Europe and Asia."

We all know Fanta is a dog, what took them so long to figure that out?

BottleBoss
12-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Yea, I think it could have potential too if they would do it right. Thay could start by making it taste good!

teamtitan512
12-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Central Coke is the first in a long line of bottlers who will be giving up on Fanta. I don't think we'll see the name in the US come the end of 2004, and this time, it will be gone for good.

SamC
12-13-2003, 12:02 AM
The Fanta question comes down to "can KO market Fanta flavors in such a way that consumers are willing to pay a premium over the 3rd Tier/store brand flavors rate"? Or, more sinisterly, "can KO push 3rd Tier flavors off the shelves?".

So far, neither is happening. Fanta is becoming nothing more that the flavor that happens to be in KO vending machines, and the occasional fountain.

To help it in the stores, KO must, IMHO, either market the h**l out of it, or break it loose from Coke in supermarket pricing. In fountains, KO must convince its major partners to move from a 5 or 6 nozzle fountain to a 10+ nozzle one.

Shatter
12-13-2003, 03:36 AM
Fanta won't leave Texas, it's just too good a seller here. The state's 47% hispanic, and that's a strong market for Fanta. Orange is a big seller here. You can't find Minute Maid Orange in 20oz. bottles anywhere around here, it's all Fanta Orange 20oz. everywhere you look.

Terry K
12-13-2003, 05:07 AM
and in So. Cal, its a great seller too.

The MM and Fanta flavours are both sold here, but Fanta is already being sold at sub-store brand prices (3 20-oz for 1.98, 2.50 a 12 pk, etc..) CCE is definately pushing it lower than the Coke pricing.

Of course, this is a STRONG pepsi market, but CCE also sells a ton of Cactus Cooler here, too.

karks88
12-13-2003, 10:50 AM
It's really a shame that Coke has done nothing to promote Fanta in this area of the country. When the local Wal Mart had it, I was addicted to the orange and I was really sad to see it go. You can't expect a brand to do anything when you don't promote it. I bet most people didn't even realize that it was a Coke product unless they happened to look very closely at the package.

Cheer-wined
12-13-2003, 11:54 AM
NC is still strong Fanta territory. You can find grape, orange, pineapple and strawberry almost everywhere. Even Fanta-branded vending machines. There's a significant Hispanic population here, and in some parts of town Fanta is just as visible as Coke or Pepsi in the supermarkets.

cph
12-13-2003, 12:08 PM
Was Fanta ever really promoted in the US? I used to see Fanta Orange and Root Beer on fountains, until Minute Maid and Barq's kicked them off. Occasionally, I'd see Strawberry too.

I didn't even know it was a Coke product until much later. The Coke museum in Atlanta has exotic Fanta drinks from all over the world.

From the Coca Cola Africa page at http://www.africa.coca-cola.com/brands.html :

Fanta
Fanta was acquired by The Coca-Cola Company in 1960 and is now sold throughout Africa. Fanta Orange is the core flavour, representing about 80% of sales, and has a solid fan base.

African consumers, particularly teens, fondly associate Fanta with happiness and special
times with friends and family. This positive imagery is driven by the brand's fun, playful personality, which goes hand in hand with the bright colour (particularly orange), bold fruit taste, and tingly carbonation.

Complementing orange are a range of Fanta flavours bringing local excitement and variation to the brand. Fanta variants proving popular with consumers in markets across the continent include Fanta Passion (Congo), Fanta Pineapple (South Africa) and Fanta Foliz (Morocco)

But back here in the US, it wasn't really promoted at all, and I bet most people just thought it was a store brand, or a third tier brand like Shasta.

The same with Pepsi's "Patio" brand...kind of languished until it was replaced by the Slice flavor line in the mid-80's.

XLS_03
12-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Most people still think it's a generic brand. It's all over the place in Europe it is very popular there.

But as far as the USA it has always given the impression of a store brand soda, since it's mostly sold in department stores and small markets. The packaging even looks generic.

I think only certain states will carry Fanta such as TX, IL, and Ca, etc... The reson is because those states had Fanta all along.

It really makes no sense to sell orange, or grape, Fanta to only have it compete with orange and grape Minute Maid.

If they want to keep Fanta they need to focus on the abstract flavors instead of the generic flavors.

There are people that don't even know it exists anymore.

XLS_03
12-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Most people still think it's a generic brand. It's all over the place in Europe it is very popular there.

But as far as the USA it has always given the impression of a store brand soda, since it's mostly sold in department stores and small markets. The packaging even looks generic.

I think only certain states will carry Fanta such as TX, IL, and Ca, etc... The reson is because those states had Fanta all along.

It really makes no sense to sell orange, or grape, Fanta to only have it compete with orange and grape Minute Maid.

If they want to keep Fanta they need to focus on the abstract flavors instead of the generic flavors.

There are people that don't even know it exists anymore.

bigrich
12-14-2003, 01:21 AM
Fanta is everywhere around Indy. We have a large hispanic population and Fanta used to be very popular in the 60's and 70's here. CCE needs to break out some other flavors. I don't believe Fanta is going anywhere here.

Shatter
12-14-2003, 05:40 AM
Fanta wasn't always in Texas. It was re-introduced here something like 4 or 5 years, if I recall correctly. They had more interesting, off-beat flavors at first, and pared it down to the most popular flavors. I actually liked some of their early drinks, like Pink Grapefruit.

Are you noticing a reoccuring theme here? All the places that still have Fanta also have large hispanic populations. As long as there's hispanic people in America, there's going to be Fanta somewhere for sale.

Terry K
12-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Shatter:
Fanta wasn't always in Texas. It was re-introduced here something like 4 or 5 years, if I recall correctly. They had more interesting, off-beat flavors at first, and pared it down to the most popular flavors. I actually liked some of their early drinks, like Pink Grapefruit.

Are you noticing a reoccuring theme here? All the places that still have Fanta also have large hispanic populations. As long as there's hispanic people in America, there's going to be Fanta somewhere for sale. Los Angeles/So. Cal was the test market for Fanta when they relaunched it in the US. They've even tried Apple (under the fanta and Mazana(sp?) Mia names), and still can't seem to get it to work.

Frankly, Coke needs to spend some $$$ on Research and development.

teamtitan512
12-14-2003, 09:29 PM
There's a large Hispanic population around DC, but Fanta there can't sell, period. Every time I look there, there's more Minute Maid.

Pittsburgh never really bothered w/Fanta for the most part, it's been Minute Maid there. The only place you could find it was in Westmoreland County because it was the only flavored soda brand they had at the time, then it vanished. Thing is Westmoreland County had Sunkist by Coke until 2002. Third tier there gained a lot, getting Sunkist and 7Up then from Pepsi, who only had it to the south and east of the city. The Pittsburgh area is all the same now, before, you could go from county to county and find different stuff.

cph
12-15-2003, 03:31 AM
Los Angeles/So. Cal was the test market for Fanta when they relaunched it in the US. They've even tried Apple (under the fanta and Mazana(sp?) Mia names), and still can't seem to get it to workThere's already a good Mexican apple soda called "Sidral Mundet", so Coke would really have to work hard to unseat it....

BottleBoss
12-15-2003, 06:53 PM
Not to mention Manzanita del sol (SP), which is also very good.

fusion
12-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Batch No. 6 Green Apple soda is a good apple-tasting soda, albeit sweeter than Sidral.

A chilled longneck Sidral Mundet can really hit the spot.

Hacksaw
12-20-2003, 08:51 PM
Fanta has NOT always been in California. There were no Fanta products in So. Calif. from about 1981 to 1987. The San Jose & SF Bay Area (hence No. Calif.) were with out them for a good chunk of the 1990's.

Part of the problem IS the gross lack of ads. The second big problem is the flavor choices. Fanta Grape & the "new" Orange (cocanut oil added, supposed to keep it emulsified, but I suspect it's just a filler) are not that special. Fanta Strawberry & Pineapple are good, but many have never tried them. Fanta Red Cream was GREAT, but it's gone around the west in general. Barq's Red Cream is nowhere as good. Fanta Tangerine is supposed to be good, but I can't find it anywhere in the west.

ben
03-23-2004, 04:43 AM
fanta tangerine is REALLY good but i still like fanta ornage. my mom works for america airlines and goes to lots of countrys she brings me back lots of fanta flavers 9some were only avable for limeted time)such as fanta rasberry,fanta kewi,fanta neo trio,fantawatermelon,fanta lemon,fanta lime,fanta blackberry,fanta grapefruite,i also like us flavers such as fanta orange,fanta strawberry,fanta pineapple,fanta black cherry,fanta peach and fanta blue berry

ben
03-23-2004, 04:44 AM
i also tried sprite blue from keroa . fanta citrus is one of my fav drinks now

djmousie
04-19-2004, 09:52 AM
what does SPrite blue taste like?

Hacksaw
04-19-2004, 05:28 PM
I just heard that Minute Maid is on the way out around here in favor of Fanta.

Don't forget Fanta Squash Punch & Spruce Beer! :D

Shatter
04-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Fanta 20 oz. bottles are around 89ยข here. I've been looking all over the place for Fanta Apple in 20 oz. sizes, but it looks like it's been discontinued. It's still in 2 liter bottles and 12-packs, but not singles.