PDA

View Full Version : Fanta: American vs European

Jonsson8
12-13-2003, 06:14 PM
I'm from Europe (Sweden) and this summer I visited the US. I've always been a big fan of Fanta ever since I was a kid, and I was glad to see it was finally available there.

So among the first things I did when I arrived at O'Hare in Chicago was buying a bottle of Fanta Orange (which is my favorite back home). But I noticed some differences: It had an orange color (the ones back home are yellow), but that's fine cause the orange color looks cool. But when I tasted it, it didn't taste anything like the Fanta Orange I'm used to...

So I read the label and to my big surprise it said "Artificial flavors"... nothing about natural flavors. Our Fanta Orange has 6% orange juice, and another difference is that we use sugar instead of corn syrup.

I wonder if Fanta had been even more succesful in the USA if they've used the European "recipe"? Personally I think the European version is way better. I did think the American Fanta was "okay", but it wasn't "great" as I think ours is. Thoughts on this? Anyone here tried them both and can compare them as well? Maybe other flavors too? I only had Fanta Orange while in the US so I don't have any opinion about the other flavors.

The Swedish flavors right now by the way are Orange, Lime, Lemon/Elder Flower, Wild Berries, and Exotic Fruits. Then there are some other imported flavors from Germany as well. We used to have an interesting combo a long time ago (like 20 years ago) called Black Orange, a mix of orange and cola.

fusion
12-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Mexican Fanta is similar to the European version, it does have orange juice and they use real sugar. However, the color is quite orange. It can be very easily found online and in many Mexican/Hispanic stores across the US.

Dutch Fanta Orange is also available in some places in the US, and it sounds a lot like the stuff you're used to. It's got a paler yellowish color, and is made with orange juice and sugar as well.

bigrich
12-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Irish Orange Fanta can also be found here in the US, I think it tastes better than the Dutch version.

Shatter
12-14-2003, 04:49 AM
The color is different between countries because each country's governments have rules about food additives and colors. America's rules are very relaxed about excessive food coloring. That's why Fanta Orange here looks so colorful.

One reason why Fanta Orange tastes different between our countries is that the American branch of Coca-Cola doesn't have any respect for the people who buy it's products. They make their products cheaply here to squeeze as much money out of the consumers as possible. All anyone has to do to figure this out is to compare Coke from the U.S. and another country. It's like night and day.

sodasommelier
12-14-2003, 03:33 PM
Yeah and watch Coke notice how everyone likes their products from other countries that use cane sugar and glass bottles; for sure they will try to capitalize on the terror scare to excuse blocking what the people want from entering the country. Just like the Stalinist Red Crew that they are trying to emulate. Yes Northern European Fanta is much better (and better for you) than the American version. The Mexican one is with sugar but it is pretty artificial as well; not as good as the Northern Europe stuff.

Coca-cola in glass from just about any country outside the US is much better. Although I think they are evil for making roadblocks for importers of the good stuff, you can't help but figure that this is logical since pushing junk is much easier when you have nothing left to compare it to.

ben
03-23-2004, 03:50 AM
my mom goes to europ all the time and i tell her to bring back fanta flavers but science we have orange her i never asked her to bring it back