PDA

View Full Version : Coca-Cola Breakmate, a waste of money.

Phire
08-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Well according to my calculations it is cheaper to buy coke in 2 liter bottles than to use a breakmate, so why exactly would you spend big bucks on a breakmate machine and go through the trouble of assembling and mixing syrup?

A 12 pack of 1 liter syrup of Coca-Cola mix costs 90$ which makes about 70 liters of drink.

Obviously you could buy tons more just by using the 90$ to buy 2 liters, storage would be an issue however.

ramonazo
08-10-2005, 11:04 PM
I saw once the Coca-Cola breakmate on sale on Ebay, is it good?, does it taste good the Coke that came out of it?

Mr Zabe
08-10-2005, 11:08 PM
I see your point. I have worked in smaller offices of say 10 people. 2 ltrs would be easy and convent to use, not to mention cheaper.

I don't like breakmates as the soda pop dispensed is usually not consistent in taste. Also, if one is not careful, there usually ends up with sloppy messes. People in general don't treat their break rooms very well.

Breakmates are more like expensive toys than mini work horses dispensing soda pop.

FYI....In my experience the small to large companies I have worked at, either had a soda pop machine or had cans in the fridge with an honor system cup.

FYI#.....I temped at a large computer software company that had a full service Coca Cola fountain (free to employees) in their break room.
A true soda pop freaks dream. LOL I recall that there were 6 different flavors with a crushed ice machine and an large supply of Coke 20oz wax cups.

[ 08-10-2005, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hacksaw
08-11-2005, 03:53 AM
If you can get syrup in those 5 galon containers it might be worth it, but you will need to use it a LOT. To say nothing about bulk CO2 usage.

I saw once something like a larger Breakmate in the 1970's that vended, but I think they were not worth the price. Yes, soda on tap can be very fresh, but can be a pain to keep everything up.

Zap
08-19-2005, 12:36 PM
When I looked into having my own fountain, I saw the BreakMate but it just wasn't very impressive. The syrup is expensive as are parts for the machine. The initial price is, too.

On the other hand, a standard fountain is a world of difference. I bought a whole setup and have had it running at home for almost a year. It rocks, plus it is a soda nut's dream. I contacted various manufacturers, and found out that many of our favorites are available in Bag-in-box form. I know for certain that you can get Cheerwine, Dublin Dr. Pepper, and Sprecher Root Beer (Cream & Orange Dream, too).

I haven't even run out of my first of two tanks of CO2, and among the four students in the house, plus parties, we have used 2 boxes and have three running at the moment.

If one knows what they are doing, the risk of problems is minimal. You must make sure CO2 cannot leak (or the tank fall over and bust a tap), and that all fittings are stainless steel, as anything containing copper will make poison when it contacts soda water.

At any rate, it is attainable to have fresh soda if one wants to! :cool:

Mr Zabe
08-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Zap,
WOW...that is so cool.
I have dreamed for years to have that kind of set up.