PDA

View Full Version : Bad Coke news on monday...

ramonazo
08-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Today I saw the Coke news on Google news and I found two bad news about Coke today, one is that in Mexico Coca-Cola will have to pay a 570 million pesos fine to the Federal Competition Commission in Mexico because this commission found monopoly practices by Coca-Cola in order to only offer Coke in grocery stores instead of Pepsi and Big Cola products, and the other one is that according to a Morgan-Stanley analyst, Bill Pecoriello, in an interview in Wall Street Journal Americas, Coca-Cola Zero isn't selling well and it only had 0.8% of sales since its launching, and he said that the sales are dissapointing, ha assures that maybe this is because the people is confused with Coke zero, some thought that was the one with Splenda, some thought it was C2 but with a new name, and some thought that it has no caffeine.

WHAT A SAD MONDAY FOR COKE FANS! :(

[ 08-15-2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

Mr Zabe
08-15-2005, 05:54 PM
It does appear the clowns who manage Coca Cola's national marketing for it's Diet/Low Carb Coke brands are not very sharp. The whole idea of launching new products is to educate the consumers on the new or improved qualities of said products.

How many of us posted on this board the utter confusion at the store level for the Diet Coke Splenda and Coke Zero roll outs. This is so simple. The POP materials were weak at best. The grocery stores are the gateway to any food or drink launch. I find it amazing that Coca Cola could drop the ball in such a big way.

I will stop venting and watch the Chill add for a taste of ambiguity.

Zabe

[ 08-15-2005, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Robot
08-15-2005, 05:55 PM
well they better not screw up the ads for coke zero; if they take that off the market ill go crazy..

to tell you teh truth; i think i've drank too much of it.. i still loove it and its the soda I buy the most; but i like pepsi one just as much.. pepsi one tastes more like a regular soda than coke zero, and its got a great sweet kick to it..

but still, coke zero is amazing..

SamC
08-15-2005, 07:54 PM
0.8% market share for a new launch is something that nothing else could posibably deliver. Well on its was to being a successful niche product, which is what KO wanted.

XLS_04
08-16-2005, 02:05 AM
Well the hype everyone made about Coke Zero actually made me not like it even more. Although I have to agree Coke did not do a good job with ads for this beverage either.

Also the packaging looks too cheap with all that plain black and white. That would have worked in the 90's but it is kind of old now.

I heard Mc Donalds will offer this product in fountain.

Look In The Tunk
08-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
Well the hype everyone made about Coke Zero actually made me not like it even more. Yeah, after the hype died down I was able to enjoy it.

pepsidew
08-17-2005, 08:55 PM
:D thumbs up for bad coke news :D

ramonazo
08-18-2005, 12:41 AM
No, man :(

Mello Yello Luver
08-18-2005, 03:05 AM
I wish I was in charge of Coke's promoting. I would get things done right. They don't need to advertise Coke. Or Sprite. The need to advertise Mello Yello!

[ 08-18-2005, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Mello Yello Luver ]

Look In The Tunk
08-18-2005, 04:30 AM
Poorly advertised Coke products:

Pibb Xtra ('guess because its a regional thing)
Fanta (those fanta girls ads are horrible)
Fresca
Mello Yello

NewColaLover
08-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Yeah they really need to push Pibb Xtra and the new Pibb Zero. I have never, ever seen a TV commerial or print ad for the product. Hopefully when the new Fresca flavors come out they will put a little $ behind it.

Mr Zabe
08-18-2005, 10:31 AM
It would be cool if a suit from Coca Cola could give us an idea as to how they market soft drinks in the United States. <Not..make that never going to happen. LOL>

[ 08-18-2005, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Look In The Tunk
08-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by NewColaLover:
Yeah they really need to push Pibb Xtra and the new Pibb Zero. Poor Pibb Zero is even more regional than Pibb Xtra. I think they only sell it in a few states.

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-18-2005, 07:51 PM
i hate the fantanas

Look In The Tunk
08-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
i hate the fantanas Yeah, those ads look like Barbie ads.

iowacity
08-18-2005, 11:00 PM
The Fanta girls are hot!

ramonazo
08-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Another bad news :( :

Coca-Cola Mexico also will have to pay to the peruvian Big Cola 157 million pesos, for the same reason: "monopoly practices" :mad: .

Pepsi and Big Cola have to accept it: Coke is No. 1 now and always!

[ 08-19-2005, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

Android
08-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by ramonazo:
Coca-Cola Mexico also will have to pay to the peruvian Big Cola 157 million pesos,How much is that in US dollars, $357.22?? ;) ;)

-Andy

ramonazo
08-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Mmm... approx. 14,443,422.26 dollars at the today dollar price.

Well, I used the calculator in my PC. :D

[ 08-19-2005, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

ramonazo
11-16-2005, 11:52 AM
The bad news continue... and this one really piss me off!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://www.cronica.com.mx/nimagenes/1/9.jpg

A grocery store owner in Iztapalapa, Mexico City called Raquel Chavez sued Coca-Cola because she argued that they didn't let her sell Big Cola, so she sued Coke and the worst thing is... SHE WON!, and Coca-Cola will have to pay a 150 million pesos fine (around 15 million dollars)... she argued that "she wanted to defend her rights"

What a beautiful way to obtain money, taking off the money of worldwide companies with lawsuits...

Now I want to ask to that woman,... would she mantain her grocery store without Coca-Cola?... NO!!

[ 11-16-2005, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

MATHA531
11-16-2005, 12:10 PM
I mean it seems that suing for frivolous reasons is alive and well in other places than in the USA. It's almost as sad as somebody suing McDonald';s and winning because they spilled hot coffee on themselves and it was McDonald's fault for making the coffee too hot...or the idiot who used a public phone and was hit by a car and sued the phone company and won because the phone cmpany put the phone in a dangerous spot.

ramonazo
11-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by MATHA531:
It's almost as sad as somebody suing McDonald';s and winning because they spilled hot coffee on themselves and it was McDonald's fault for making the coffee too hot...or the idiot who used a public phone and was hit by a car and sued the phone company and won because the phone cmpany put the phone in a dangerous spot. OMG! now the people is getting rich using fool excuses... the one that made me :eek: is the one of the public phone, the freaking idiot instead of suing the driver, sued the phone company... why? to win more money... GRRR :mad:

BTW,Here's the complete article of the lawsuit to Coke (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/15/AR2005111501101.html)

I want to quote one of the dumbest things that Chavez said to threat Coca-Cola after (according to Chavez)threaten her to stop selling their brands in her grocery store:

"I told to Coca-Cola, 'You can't refuse to sell to me. That's unconstitutional', I didn't really know if it was unconstitutional, but I said it anyway." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[ 11-16-2005, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

pepsidew
11-16-2005, 08:32 PM
bummer for coke - total bs

sodablog
11-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Ramón el Coca-Colero:
The bad news continue... and this one really piss me off!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://www.cronica.com.mx/nimagenes/1/9.jpg

A grocery store owner in Iztapalapa, Mexico City called Raquel Chavez sued Coca-Cola because she argued that they didn't let her sell Big Cola, so she sued Coke and the worst thing is... SHE WON!, and Coca-Cola will have to pay a 150 million pesos fine (around 15 million dollars)... she argued that "she wanted to defend her rights"

What a beautiful way to obtain money, taking off the money of worldwide companies with lawsuits...

Now I want to ask to that woman,... would she mantain her grocery store without Coca-Cola?... NO!! what? it's a trade and monopoly issue.

it's one thing to sponser a school and they sell only coke/pepsi but another to not allow a grocery store to sell certain ordinary legal products

fusion
11-16-2005, 10:32 PM
If the person signed an exclusive contract to just sell Coke, Pepsi, or Big Cola, then what's the big deal?

Mr Zabe
11-16-2005, 10:37 PM
I do not recall a law that says a company,business or individual must sell a product.
I believe there is a free market of sellers and buyers at least in the US. If Coke chooses not to sell/markets 3 ltrs as it had done in the past,
no vendor can sue Coke to produce and or sell 3 ltres.

IMO Coke would win this case in the US. I do not know much about he Mexican legal system so I will rely of MrR for his opinion and updates.

[ 11-16-2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

SamC
11-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Coke Zero: Clearly KO made a mistake launching too many products at the fundamentally the same time. C2 was a stupid idea and never should have been launched. Coke Zero and Diet Coke w/ Splenda should have been a single product. Real Coke taste, sweetened with Splenda.

However, KO has now launched new and very good ads for Coke Zero. Clearly a play on the "secret formula" urban legends and gets the point across that the product really tastes like Real Coke. C2 is dead and the Splenda product is going.

Mexican competition: This is the Pepsi worldwide strategy. Cry to government about KOs sales. The simple fact is that most people like Coke better because they like it better, not because of some sinister plot. The turnabout would be to attack Frito-Lays trully monopolistic marketing in a product segment where tates differentiation is non-existant.

ramonazo
11-17-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
IMO Coke would win this case in the US. I do not know much about he Mexican legal system so I will rely of MrR for his opinion and updates. MrZ... the Mexican legal system is really really really weak, for example, mexican politicians that are found making illegal transactions of money can be sent to prison, but because of "lack of proof" (despite after seeing a home video with the images of the illegal transaction) they can go out inmediately...

[ 11-16-2005, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

XLS_04
11-17-2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by SamC:
C2 is dead and the Splenda product is going.It is no suprise if that happens since Coke never did any ads for Diet Coke with Splenda, no store displays either. Coke zero was pushed everywhere from day one. Consumers made the Diet Coke with Splenda product and I suppose Coca-Cola in Atlanta thinks it will sell itself without promotions.

sodasommelier
11-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Well, Ramon.... my cousin Martin The World Traveler upon hearing about some frivolous beverage=related lawsuits in the USA said "The productivity of the United States has reached its zenith. Now there is more money in litigation and 'protection' than there is in actually working and producing. While the US is in gridlock and controlled by lawyers and judges, the rest of the world is moving forward. But the saving grace for the us [and not the rest of the world] is that the rest of the world always copies the trends of the US and there are tons of lawyers starting to do the same things elsewhere which means that the profiteers from the legal systems of foreign countries will impede those countries' progress as the ones here already have; thus resulting in the US's maintaining its position of a world power nevertheless."

There was a film recently in which two East Europeans come to the US and go on a murderous rampage with the intent to be declared insane and then make millions with book and movie rights and then through this money to buy their way out of the mental facility. The Russian guy says at one point "I love this country. Nobody is responsible for what he does".

Many people in the US go about life not planning a career but rather searching for a method of receiving periodically, "a check" in the mailbox.
This is why it is so hard to find decent employees in the US. Too many people either want to throw themselves in front of a car to collect from the insurance or they want to start working somewhere just to find some loopholes in their employee's organization and to then sue their way out and end up with more money than if they had just worked for it. The lawyers advertise on TV and on billboards and go after every aspect of potential controversy from vehicle accidents to work-related stress. Has an employer ever sued an employee for the stress that a lazy or incompetent employee causes (in addition to the financial losses often related)?

Anyway, generally it is my opinion that no company will "refuse" to sell to someone unless there is a reason like inconvenience, nonpayment, obnoxious receivers, etc. A product like Coca-Cola can be bought most anywhere; even in Mexico there are plenty of huge cash & carry warehouses where a store could buy truckloads of Coke and resell it. Here in the US it is often cheaper to buy it that way than from the bottler because the bottlers always give such a cheap price to such places that their frontline price is cheaper than the Coke truck's price.

But at the end of the day, before you assume that Coke and Pepsi are victims of the legal system look at how many US laws (especially franchise) are based upon decisions in cases involving Coca-Cola in particular. And finally, Coke and Pepsi have been known to harass and strongarm retailers and distributors using their power and legal staff... they are upset at losing that case but they aren't really any better if you consider some of the stuff they have done. What people in general need to do is to punish people and organizations who run around making frivolous lawsuits. If there were some sort of method for determining and punishing frivolous lawsuits, I think that the system would work much more efficiently. However, how will such laws come into effect when judges etc (usually lawyers before becoming judges) would be diminishing the demand for their services as a result? The reason that none of this ever gets fixed is because it's to the detriment of those who can fix it... to in fact fix it. So look out; that case probably set a precedent and there will be more to follow...

ramonazo
11-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks for your opinion, sodasommelier! I see now that setting lawsuits is becoming a worldwide practiced sport, and yes, the Chavez case unfortunately is still going... and market analysts said that this will be carried for a looong time...

[ 11-26-2005, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

CaffeineBoy
11-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by pepsidew:
:D thumbs up for bad coke news :D hooray! :D