PDA

View Full Version : So is Red Fusion being cancelled, phased out?

Robot
07-31-2004, 12:45 PM
More and more I hear about Red Fusion not being available in certain parts of the country..

Its still readily available and plentiful in Chicago here, but many states dont have it at all..

is it just being phased out, or will it linger in certain markets for years and then quietly be discontinued one day?

wish it did better, this doesnt bode well for any further expansion of the dr pepper line.

Soda Favorites Dot Com
07-31-2004, 01:00 PM
I just did an article about it on www.***************** (http://www.*****************)

Its getting Axed!

Robot
07-31-2004, 02:39 PM
can you email me the website at jaorobot81@hotmail.com ...

or is it soda favorites.com?

Robot
07-31-2004, 02:41 PM
great website, btw!

shell
07-31-2004, 07:58 PM
Hey jim we have diet live wire in bedfrd indiana at our jayc plus 12 pack for 1.99. shell

Robot
07-31-2004, 10:15 PM
can anyone else confirm that?

i didnt think livewire had a diet version?

Soda Favorites Dot Com
08-01-2004, 02:23 AM
The syrup recipe for Diet Livewire does exist. Whether or not it is actually being bottled... I seriously doubt it- I have yet to see it for myself. Ill try and confirm it on Monday!

bigrich
08-01-2004, 10:30 AM
I too saw Diet Livewire at JayC in Seymour, IN. It must be being produced at Pepsi Americas Austin, IN facility.

Robot
08-01-2004, 12:40 PM
dammit i need to get some, shell, thanks for the scoop!

shell
08-01-2004, 01:42 PM
your very welcome jim!hope you can get you some of it. shell

Robot
08-01-2004, 02:07 PM
I wish they'd move Diet livewire out nationally..

or at least in 20oz..

also, i have seen less and less red fusion in chicagoland now..

its still plentiful, but one grocery store i went to that used to have it didnt carry it at all, and the other looked like it was recently stocked by drpepper and it had very little red fusion left, only in 24 packs...

drpep
08-01-2004, 09:46 PM
About a month ago I was told by my Coke rep that the last pallet shipped out. I hit all the local stores and managed to get 5 cases. Two weeks later my Coke rep says another pallet showed up. Several local stores have cut it in with new shelf labels dated 7/25/04. Must be Coke is going to keep it awhile longer, although the sell by date was 8/23/04.

DPDude
08-02-2004, 04:48 PM
I just spoke to DPSU customer relations. They told me that the Red Fusion has not been discontinued. The reason for it starting to get scarce is that Coke bottlers who handle Dr Pepper products decided to stop making it since there was apparent brand confusion between it and Coke's own Red Flash product. Even though the flavors are not anywhere near the same the story is that public perception about two different "red" products next to each other on the shelf caused problems.

Red Fusion should still be readily available in markets that have a dedicated Dr Pepper bottler.

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-03-2004, 12:18 AM
that's horse ****. coke's notorious for not wanting outdated product. i bet a lot of red fusion was going bad. they don't sell red flash anywhere in michigan. where the hell do they sell that stuff anymore?

Robot
08-03-2004, 12:28 AM
yah there is no red flash in chicago, and alot of places dont carry red fusion whatsoever in cans anymore...

teamtitan512
08-03-2004, 02:32 AM
Jimmy, ABC (DPSUBG) does Dr Pepper in Chicago, not Coke.

Red Flash is only around Louisville, Southern Indiana, and Texas, AFAIK. I think Knoxville, TN has it too, and maybe Atlanta, but it's certainly not around. They just gave up on it, and made some lame excuse.

DPDude
08-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Teamtitan512,
Yep. Coke puts out Red Flash in areas that drink Big Red (Texas and Indiana) to try to scavenge some of the market share but Big Red fans will accept no substitute. Coke used to have a product called Cima Red which didn't sell well at all so they moved on to Red Flash. Still isn't selling well.

I really hope Red Fusion makes it in the long run though. It's my second favorite drink next to Dr Pepper.

drpep
08-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
that's horse ****. coke's notorious for not wanting outdated product. i bet a lot of red fusion was going bad. they don't sell red flash anywhere in michigan. where the hell do they sell that stuff anymore? Thats about how my reply was going to be.

mjb1124
08-04-2004, 12:37 AM
I think what DPSU should do is separate Red Fusion from the Dr Pepper brand, then market it to bottlers that don't carry DP (particularly independent or DPSU-affiliated bottlers in an area where DP is handled by Coke or Pepsi).

bigrich
08-04-2004, 09:45 AM
I don't think another bottler would touch this horible product. CCE and some Indies have dumped it, so has Pepsi Americas & PBG. Right now it appears that only DPSU group bottlers like ABC etc. are even bothering. The product is weak and watered down and I would rather drink Cheerwine because they get the taste right.

[ 08-04-2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

surge_my_afterglow
08-06-2004, 10:59 PM
red fusion is being replaced with a low carb, vanilla-cherry dr pepper that is very similar in taste, but will be bland because of the fact that it is Low Carb

XLS_04
08-07-2004, 02:20 AM
i have been hearing about the cherry vanilla dr. pepper for over a year now, when is it being released?

Shatter
08-07-2004, 10:41 PM
I went on a roadtrip through Louisiana, back through Houston, TX, and back home to Dallas. I went through several bottler's areas, and none of them had Red Fusion. I thought that at least Houston would have it, but they didn't.