PDA

View Full Version : PBV & NuGrape

Cheer-wined
08-18-2005, 11:46 PM
When PBV introduced Tropicana Twisters they dropped NuGrape like a hot potato. Choice USA picked it up and has been canning/bottling it for Sundrop of Concord. A big setback for a brand that had very good distribution up until now.

Which Pepsi bottlers stuck with their original grape sodas instead of switching to Tropicana? I would assume that Buffalo Rock kept Grapico - how about the others?

Look In The Tunk
08-19-2005, 12:02 AM
I went to a little convenience store in Murfreeboro, NC earlier this month and found Pepsi NuGrape. I forgot to write down the code though. Either its a 4 month old bottle or they kept it out there.

Cheer-wined
08-19-2005, 06:02 AM
Murfreesboro would be either PBV or Minges. I'm guessing Minges, in which case the code would've been CH for Carolina Canners.

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-19-2005, 08:46 AM
that sucks. it sounds like tropicana was a "sell it or die" line of drinks for PBG.

i'm still surprised that there are some pepsi guys that sell 7up

Look In The Tunk
08-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:

i'm still surprised that there are some pepsi guys that sell 7up Out here the 7up is in Pepsi "swirl" bottles. I'll write down a code next time I get some.

bigrich
08-21-2005, 11:52 PM
WIS-PAK also did Nugrape before Tropicana came along. They now produce Cheerwine since DR Slice is gone. Cheerwine is promoted well in some of their territory, with ads, billboards and even on some restaurants menus.

fizzbizz
08-22-2005, 10:47 PM
PBV is selling Sunkist Grape in most of their territories.

Cheer-wined
08-24-2005, 08:04 PM
PBV's main territory is in NC and they've had NuGrape for a while. Most of the indy Pepsi distributors in NC use NuGrape too. Even Pepsi-Charlotte, but that will change when PBG takes over.

Cheer-wined
10-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Big Red's website shows a 12oz diet NuGrape, never heard of it before.

MISTICman
10-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Hey Cheer-wined...
They sell Diet NuGrape in Hillsboro at Danny's Truck Stop. It's off exit 165 of I-85. Interesting enough...it's in a Pepsi case. I can't remember if they have Tropicana Twister or not. I'll look later today.

sodasommelier
10-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Ever since Big Red took over NuGrape you cannot find it anywhere. But Cheerwine... that stuff is good and in fact I myself drank 4 Diet Cheerwines on the road today... great stuff in glass!

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by sodasommelier:
Ever since Big Red took over NuGrape you cannot find it anywhere. But Cheerwine... that stuff is good and in fact I myself drank 4 Diet Cheerwines on the road today... great stuff in glass! so nice to hear from the king!

fizzbizz
10-07-2005, 06:23 PM
PBV dropped Nugrape in their Sunkist territories when they introduced Sunkist Grape.

fusion
10-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Pepsiamericas sells NuGrape in their territories in the southeast, at least from what I saw.. but it appears that it is being squeezed out in favor of grape twister.

Some of the indie Coke bottlers also sell Nugrape in the south, produced by Big Springs Coke in Alabama.

Cheer-wined
10-18-2005, 06:57 PM
The whole deal with PBV dropping NuGrape and Sunkist orange in favor of Tropicana Twisters had a weird domino effect in parts of NC.

Sundrop of Concord picked up NuGrape and dropped Crush grape. No more Crush grape.

Piedmont Cheerwine picked up Sunkist orange and dropped Crush orange. Sundrop of Concord picked up Crush orange. Luckily, no bottler picked up Orange slice.

I noticed that the Pepsi bottler in Charlotte is hanging on to NuGrape and many Sunkist flavors instead of moving to Twisters.

The Truth
10-19-2005, 11:16 AM
PBG bought Charlotte, it won't be long.

fizzbizz
10-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Ceerwined, PBV did not drop Sunkist Orange. They expanded the flavors to include grape. The Truth , PBG Charlotte will not drop Sunkist.

the saint
10-21-2005, 09:49 AM
My money is with The Truth on this one. The Pepsi bottler here had A&W for many years and within 3 months after Pepsico(before PBG) bought the place Mug was Forced upon them. I am sure the trop twisters will be forced into Charlotte as well.

[ 10-21-2005, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: the saint ]

Cheer-wined
10-22-2005, 06:06 AM
fizzbizz, PBV is Pepsi Bottling Ventures - they are based near Raleigh NC, and they are the main Pepsi bottler/distributor for central NC. This is a separate company from PBG. They have some territories outside of NC (I think they still have Long Island) but most of their business is in NC. They're also my local Pepsi distributor. They dropped Sunkist orange and it was picked up by DPSU distributors like Piedmont Cheerwine and Dr Pepper West Jefferson.
The PBG deal in Charlotte is supposed to be approved before the end of the year.

fusion
10-22-2005, 08:28 AM
PBV also purchased independent Pepsi of Salisbury MD last year. That territory includes southern Delaware, the eastern shore of Maryland, and a few counties in Virginia on that peninsula between the Chesapeake bay and the Atlantic Ocean. They also have a franchise around the Elizabeth City NC area.

When PBV bought Salisbury, they started shedding brands left and right. They carried a few of the smaller DPSU brands, like Country Time and I believe Welch's. They also had Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer. I think they had a few others, but I'm really not sure.

Most of these brands are carried in this area by Honickman Canada Dry, who also has territory down that way.. they picked up all these brands that were cast off.

fizzbizz
10-22-2005, 10:31 AM
PBV still sells Sunkist and has expanded the flavor line. Trust me on this. PBG Charlotte is part of the Southeast Business unit managed from Orlando. This business unit also manages Atlanta and Miami. Both PBG markets sell a lot of Sunkist. They will not drop it in Charlotte. Trust me on this also.

fusion
11-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Yikes. I can't believe I forgot to mention this.

Ale-8-1 carries NuGrape in their core area around Winchester KY, in longnecks.