PDA

View Full Version : Picky about water?

DJ HawaiianShirt
08-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Since most everyone here is probably very aware of what they like and don't like in beverages, I was wondering if anyone has water preferences.

I tend to have very sensitive tastebuds, because I can rarely drink straight tap water unless it's been purified.

And I also won't even touch bottled spring water, because the salt is usually overpowering for me.

The ultimate water for me is straight-up distilled water, but you can only buy that in gallon jugs at grocery stores.

Quick runner ups are Dasani and Aquafina, because they're purified.

Any water preferences?

SEV smile.gif

Kyle
08-19-2005, 03:25 PM
I like zephryhills.. but I also really like my ESpring Water purifier. Everything has a funny taste to me or that nasty clorine taste

ramonazo
08-19-2005, 03:30 PM
My answer definetely is...
http://www.virtualvender.coca-cola.com/images/html/htmgHtml415.jpg

[ 08-19-2005, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

Mr Zabe
08-19-2005, 04:36 PM
I like Ice Mountain which is owned by Nestle.
In my area the are at least 3 other of brands from the same spring source.

I agree some spring waters are salty and have an after taste. I always read the label looking for the source. I also like Dansai and Walmart purified water. Aquafina is ok in a pinch but I will not buy it. I just do not enjoy it as much.

BottleBoss
08-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Down the road from the farmhouse I grew up in was a natural spring below a cow pasture. The farmer hammered a pipe into the ground and the water flowed out the pipe. MMMMMMmmmmmm. That was the best water. People used to come from miles around and fill up jugs. (The cows made it good!)

Mr Zabe
08-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I have a friend who has a medium sized spring fed lake in Onterio Canada. Only her family and a large population of rainbow trout use the lake.
She told me that they drink the lake water fresh out of the lake. She said it tastes great.

I can relate to your spring water story.

guaranajunkie
08-21-2005, 12:41 AM
I've always been keen to Aquafina or deer park water

boodoo
08-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Mountain Valley Spring Water in the 1.0L glass bottle! Best water I have ever tasted.

yankees26mlb
08-21-2005, 07:15 PM
nothin better than TAP WATER. Straight from your nearest sink

the saint
08-21-2005, 08:17 PM
the only thing tap water is good for around here is washing dishes or clothes in. My family as well as myself do not really have a preference other than I do not care for Dasani, it tends to have a salty taste IMO.

DietCokeEnthusiast
08-27-2005, 07:55 PM
In order of preference:

1. Dasani
2. Fiji Water
3. Evian
4. Poland Spring
5. Tap Water
6. Perrier
7. Pool Water
8. Aquafina (I know...7 and 8 taste the same, but I figured I should differentiate)

Look In The Tunk
08-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by DietCokeEnthusiast:
In order of preference:

2. Fiji Water
3. Evian
I concour on #2 and 3.

There was this brand of water my grocery store used to sell called Eden Brook I think, and it was so good.

I like Glaceau Smart Water (not to be confused with the vitamin waters and the flavored waters), and Volvic (easily recognizable by its blue square bottles) water, also.

Smart Water has some witty packaging as well:
http://members.aol.com/conniemilhouse/water.jpg

SamC
08-28-2005, 08:14 AM
I like all of the Nestle brands.

OT: why are there like 15 Nestle regional brands in the first place? All are pretty much the same. Its like trying to market a car and calling it an Acme in Ohio and a Beta in Illinois and a Champion in Michigan. It makes no sense.

Dasani is good. Fiji is good. Tyler Mountain (local brand here) is good.

Aquafina is undrinkable.

DJ HawaiianShirt
08-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Fiji is so salty that I swear they bottle it right on the beaches.

SEV redface.gif

Mr Zabe
08-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Plus Fiji,I recall is outrageously expensive,around $2.00 +/- per 20oz bottle here in Chi Town. I tried it few times last year (only because it was on sale for a dollar LOL); I was not impressed.

[ 08-28-2005, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

drpep
08-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by SamC:
[QB] I like all of the Nestle brands.

OT: why are there like 15 Nestle regional brands in the first place? All are pretty much the same. Its like trying to market a car and calling it an Acme in Ohio and a Beta in Illinois and a Champion in Michigan. It makes no sense.
I may be wrong but it could be that at one time the brands were independent before Nestle bought them. Just my theory.

Mr Zabe
08-28-2005, 11:33 PM
I believe you are correct.
Nestle was not originally in the spring water/purified water business. About the time Evan water was taking off and it was clear bottle water was going to be a trend and not a fade, Nestle got into the water business in a big way.

I read about this a while back but that's pretty much what happened. Nestle got involved with the water business at the right time. I believe they utilize 4 or so water sources across the country under national brands and local/generic brands.

I have a favorite brand that is sold at Walgreen's,American Spring Water. It's the same water,bottled at the same sources as Ice Mountain Spring water which is a Nestle company. If you know these facts you can save lots of money.

[ 08-29-2005, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Ron Swedelson
08-28-2005, 11:39 PM
Ciel is one of my favorite waters. I drank so much of that when I was in Mexico. Here in the US, Ice Age is my favorite water. One of the few waters I can drink at room temperature and have it still taste good.

boodoo
08-29-2005, 09:45 AM
I used to work for a guy that owns a bottled water company. He had a great line to use with potential new customers:

"Do you drink the same water that you use to flush your toilet?".

Mr Zabe
08-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Outstanding water sales pitch. I bet it increased his sales.

boodoo
08-30-2005, 09:44 AM
It definately gets your attention!

the saint
08-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Bad thing is that even though it may be in a bottle now, it more than likely HAS been flushed down a toilet at some point in time. Good pitch line though nonetheless

CaffeineBoy
08-30-2005, 03:20 PM
my favorite is tap water. i have a spring at my house so it's even better than bottled, literally.

ramonazo
08-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by boodoo:
I used to work for a guy that owns a bottled water company. He had a great line to use with potential new customers:

"Do you drink the same water that you use to flush your toilet?". Maybe in UK british people used that line to refer to Dasani, Do you remember how controversial was the note that mentioned that UK Dasani was made of water of the faucet?

For me it's normal (we'll, if it's included the purification process, of course), but why all this controversy about a year ago in UK?

BTW, soon we're going to have Dasani... Ciel Dasani, but something tells me that this mexican version won't be similar to the U.S. version, I read in a note that Ciel Dasani comes in two versions: one for improving the skin and the other one to improve the digestion (contains fiber). Weird.. Huh?

[ 08-30-2005, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

billygtexas
08-31-2005, 11:31 PM
I prefer Nestle Pure Life just because its the easiest to find in my area. You can get a huge 32 bottle pack for $4.24 at Sam's Club. Great deal for the hot summer. And when I can find it Nestle's Aberfoyle Springs water from Canada is excellent, especally in those big sportpack bottles. I also like Dannon and Wallgreens Pure American water isnt bad ether.

They are really hyping Ozarka water as "pure spring water" in my area. But to me it tastes as "pure" as Auquafina and Dasani does with that bitter overpurified taste. I got sick to my stomach on the stuff on day and swore I'd never buy it again. Another bad one is Sam's "American Choice" water - nasty tasting tap water and sadly one of the worst store brand products at Wally World.

[ 08-31-2005, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

Darren
09-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Dasani

ramonazo
09-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Ramón el Coca-Colero:
BTW, soon we're going to have Dasani... Ciel Dasani, but something tells me that this mexican version won't be similar to the U.S. version, I read in a note that Ciel Dasani comes in two versions: one for improving the skin and the other one to improve the digestion (contains fiber). Weird.. Huh? [/QB]In effect... too different than U.S. Dasani, here are the flavors:
- Grapefruit + fiber + papaya
- Carrot + Fiber
- Cucumber + Lemon + Tangerine + Green Tea.
Yuck!, I'd prefer a berry Dasani like in U.S., honestly!

BTW, Here's an ad of Ciel Dasani (Rated PG-13) LOL:

http://www.marketing-up.com.mx/imgarticulos/nota2479.jpg

Mr Zabe
09-01-2005, 10:07 PM
"I also like Dannon and Walgreens Pure American water isn't bad."

Dannon and Pure American are bottled by Nestle at the same source. The only difference is the label and the price. Pure American is cheaper.
Walgreen's has it on sale this week 2 12pks for $5.

Mr Zabe
09-01-2005, 10:11 PM
MrR
I thought Mexico had adult labeled bottled water? LOL Have you ever seen the pens that have an attractive lady that slowly looses her bikini as the pen is used?

Could you imagine all the 13 year old boys trying to buy bottle water if it had that kind of label?
Instead of pop cans they would collect bottled
water. LMAO

[ 09-01-2005, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

billygtexas
09-08-2005, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Dannon and Pure American are bottled by Nestle at the same source. The only difference is the label and the price. Pure American is cheaper.
Is Pure American Wallgreens own private label brand?

Mr Zabe
09-08-2005, 06:43 AM
"Dannon and Pure American are bottled by Nestle at the same source. The only difference is the label and the price."

Pure American is an "off label" brand of the same source of the brand spring water Dannon. The only difference is that the off label brand does not get marketed or promoted. It is not produced by Walgreens. Walgreens just retails it.

I brought Pure American at a local SpeedWay gas station last December. At the time 12ks packs of brand water were selling for $6, I paid $3.69 and was a very happy camper as it tasted great and when I read the lable I discovered it was the same source as Dannon. Needles to say I went back and picked up 4 more 12pks. LOL

Nestle in effect has brand waters and non brand waters that they sell.

[ 09-08-2005, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ramonazo
09-08-2005, 11:01 AM
MrR
I thought Mexico had adult labeled bottled water? LOL Have you ever seen the pens that have an attractive lady that slowly looses her bikini as the pen is used?

Could you imagine all the 13 year old boys trying to buy bottle water if it had that kind of label?
Instead of pop cans they would collect bottled
water. LMAO LOL :D , Actually the photo I posted only appears in TV and Print ads, this is the original label:

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9610/cieldasani4vf.th.jpg (http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cieldasani4vf.jpg)

With that label and that bottle it looks like a shampoo, isn't it?

pepsidew
09-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Aquafina for me

Mr Zabe
09-08-2005, 07:51 PM
pepsidew,
Your a company man all the way. LOL
In the words of Jerry Seinfeld "Not that it's bad." LOL

pepsidew
09-08-2005, 07:52 PM
i'd had dasani before, i just didn't like it...guess all that free pepsi stuff gets in your blood.

DJ HawaiianShirt
09-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Zabe, as a hardcore Seinfeld fanatic, I can tell you that it's actually "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Anyway, I have to retract one of my earlier statements:

Has anyone tried Spa spring water? It's the only spring water I like. There's literally no salty or mineral taste. It passes my test.

SEV smile.gif

DPDude
09-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Dasani and Deja Blue are my favorite brands of water.

Mr Zabe
09-09-2005, 02:21 AM
I tried Deja Blue about 3 times as it has been discounted for 50 cents per 20oz bottle at the mega store I shop at in Wisconsin.

Each time I drank it, the water had a slight aftertaste from the bottle. Now I like the drinking waters like Dasani where minerals are added. The use by date was all good as well.

Maybe it's the dark blue bottle that causes me to perceive the aftertaste. I'm cheap so I'll probably buy it again for my post shopping cooling off bevy.

[ 09-09-2005, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

boodoo
09-09-2005, 11:04 AM
SPA water from Europe? The TDS rating for that is so high it qualifies as a Mineral Water. Very European indeed.

Distilled Water TDS of 5 or less
Purified Drinking Water TDS of about 35
Spring Water TDS of about 140
Mineral Water TDS off the chart!

drpep
09-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
[QB] Zabe, as a hardcore Seinfeld fanatic, I can tell you that it's actually "Not that there's anything wrong with that."
Boy how I'd love to smack the person that uses that phrase ;)

Mr Zabe
09-09-2005, 07:26 PM
That would be me, so you can smack me. tongue.gif

Actually I have seen each episode so many times that I can't watch it any more. I'm on a Night Court bender now. :D

[ 09-09-2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ramonazo
09-09-2005, 08:54 PM
MrZ. if you come to latin america you'd better watch Sony Entertainment TV, there's Seinfeld in weekdays at 2:00 p.m. and 4:30 pm (central) and in August there was an 8-hour Marathon every saturday... You would became crazy!

[ 09-09-2005, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

Mr Zabe
09-09-2005, 09:46 PM
MrR, you are so right. I would have to drown my sorrows and numb my mind with some of those cool Mexican soda pops. After a few pops, I can deal with The Seinfeld gang. Right now I'm waiting to drink some cold sweetened lime juice with my late night dinner. YUM (Just a few more hours to go.)

[ 09-09-2005, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
09-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Boodoo, notice how I said SPA has no mineral TASTE.

This is coming from a guy who will drink Evian, Deer Park, and Fiji, and spit them out in disgust. That's gotta count for something.

SEV smile.gif

boodoo
09-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Yep, it is. My wife absolutely loves Mountain Valley Spring Water but we have a water cooler at home with Sparkletts drinking water and yet she hates Deja Blue and Dasani. Go figure.

redchucks219
09-10-2005, 10:46 PM
As long as it's cold most water is fine to me. One thing I cant stand however is cheap, flavored water with just the slightest hint of flavoring. If my water is flavored i want to taste it. But like i said cold water=good water.

ramonazo
09-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Ramón el Coca-Colero:
this is the original label:

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9610/cieldasani4vf.th.jpg (http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cieldasani4vf.jpg)

With that label and that bottle it looks like a shampoo, isn't it? I tried it today and my response is: YUCKKK!!

Tastes like if you pour in a glass a little grapefruit natural juice, and you fill the rest with water, no flavor, and tasted like if it had a little bit of tomato on it...

[ 09-13-2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Today arrived to my city Danone's (or Dannon's) Bonafont water in 20 liter gallons...

It's the weirdest water gallon I've ever seen...

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4370/garrafon4jh.jpg

sodagirl
03-14-2006, 01:53 PM
ramon...that ad makes the water look, uh, peach. it's just the lighting, isn't it?

i'm a water SNOB. i'm more than slightly ocd about it (and don't get mad at me for using that term, i actually have diagnosed ocd, which would explain my beverage obsession). here are my faves:

1. fiji
2. vittel
3. dasani
4. aquafina
5. poland spring

every bottle of water i drink, though, has to be ice-cold. i can't drink tap water or filtered water from the fridge. i don't know why. it makes me make an icky face. pity my parents. actually, pity me when i have to start living on my own and paying for my own water.

Mr Zabe
03-14-2006, 03:00 PM
sodagirl,
Ditto on your requirements for bottle water being ice cold. I will not drink tap water at all.
I being a bachelor am able to keep at least 18 or so 500 ml bottles of ice cold water for my needs.LOL

When I take out a bottle to drink, I replace it in the fridge with warm one. This way I will always have ice cold water. Here in Chicago, 14ct and 32ct cases of 500 ml bottle water are just about always on sale for $4.99 to $6.00.

Dannon Spring Water (A Coca Cola owned brand). IMO is the best bottle water around. It taste super smooth and super pure. My second favorite is Ice Mountain (A Nestle owned brand). It's good and does satisfy me but it is not as good and Dannon.

[ 03-14-2006, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

CStoreCatMan
03-14-2006, 03:43 PM
I drink water two ways - Aquafina and Brita. And generally I drink water at room temperature...I can't drink it ice cold except for those days where nothing but ice water will hit the spot.

I wonder what the deal is with Aquafina in other areas of the country. Here in SoCal it is the #1 selling brand - beating out Nestle's Arrowhead brand. It literally doubles or triples the sales of all other brands.

CStoreCatMan
03-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Except Arrowhead that is...

jgator5
03-14-2006, 04:35 PM
It's interesting that this topic has moved up to near the top - I've just run a blind taste test on some of the bottled waters I prefer. I'm really limited in what and how much I can drink, so a quality beverage is really important to me. Here is how my results turned out:

1. Volvic
2. Fiji
3. Publix spring water (local grocery store brand, source Ginnie Spring, FL).
4. Zephyrhills (the local Nestle regional brand)
5. Evian
6. Aquafina
7. Tap

I was quite surprised at the low ranking of Aquafina, as I had been drinking quite a bit of it. I guess the packaging is effective.

The top two waters, Volvic and Fiji, I feel have a "softness" to them that I enjoy. I think Volvic tastes best "store temperature" (the grocery stores are always colder than room temperature).

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by sodagirl:
ramon...that ad makes the water look, uh, peach. it's just the lighting, isn't it?Is the gallon, while the common water plastic gallons are blue, Bonafont is using "peach" plastic gallons, but the water on it is normal... really weird water gallon. That makes even hard the competition in the water segment between Danone's (or Dannon's) Bonafont, Coca-Cola's Ciel, PBG's Electropura and Pureza Aga.

[ 03-14-2006, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

jstylzz
03-14-2006, 07:32 PM
If I'm being picky, I LOVE Ty Nant water. It's not cheap, and I have to drive across town to find it, but I love the bottle, and the water is excellent. Ty Nant (http://www.finewaters.com/Bottled_Water/USA/Imported/Ty_Nant.asp)

Mr Zabe
03-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Just wondering how expensive is it? (Per case/size.)

jgator5
03-14-2006, 10:02 PM
I love the bottles for Ty Nant, but I found the taste a bit flat. I've only found it in the local health food stores, which means that it is very expensive ($1.49 for a (I think) 300 ml bottle). I've seen the cobalt blue bottles used as props on TV shows.

Hollow Man
03-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Like I've said in posts regarding soda, the bottle makes a lot of difference. Take any of these waters, pour it into a drinking glass, and watch how it miraculously tastes better.

I've been a water drinker forever (it's all I drank straight up through college), and have found most of this stuff to be acceptable to me if it's served cold in a clean glass.

Oh, for the record, I drink filtered Brita water. I used to drink unfiltered as a kid, but where I love now, it has an off taste that's removed via the fiter.

I also might add I dispise the idea of paying for water (I never pay for it in a restaurant), and only buy a bottle in a mall food court type place or conv. store because most of the workers give you a tiny urine cup size when you ask for water, which drives me batty.

-HM

[ 03-15-2006, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Hollow Man ]

Mr Zabe
03-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Ok, my problem with drinking water from a bottle poured into a glass is that,I wash all my dishes in a dishwasher. I use top of the line detergent that does a great job of cleaning my dishes.

In my mind,(could be just my own hangup) when I grab a clean glass I smell a very small oder of the detergent. The smell causes me to rinse out the glass which is not the end of the world. LOL
Sometimes that's what I do before I pour soda pop over ice. :D :cool: :D

I have become brain washed to totally dig the feeling and the object permanence of watching the bottle water disappear from the bottle while I'm drinking it. I know I am the biggest goof ball but for me the whole moment of drinking the cold bottle of water is just a real pleasurable moment of the feel of the bottle and the coldness of the water.

This may be due to the fact that I was breast fed as a child for the first 12 years of my live and now I am getting past my bottle envy stage of development. LMAO

[ 03-15-2006, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hollow Man
03-15-2006, 08:32 AM
The dishwasher probably does "color" the taste of your drinking glasses. But if you think for one minute that these plastic bottles you love so much, which have travelled through who-knows-what-filth to arrive at your house, don't ALSO color the taste as you imbibe...

-HM

[ 03-15-2006, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Hollow Man ]

Mr Zabe
03-15-2006, 08:37 AM
No not for me. I buy shrink wrapped cases of water. The bottles have been cleaned before they have been labeled. Besides, the water inside the bottles has not been altered from the pallet to the shelf.

It's just one of my goofy beverage stupid human tricks. LOL I just love cold bottle water, no convincing me other wise. LOL

[ 03-15-2006, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hollow Man
03-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm still 100% convinced that plastic/PET bottles add a really ugly taste to both water and pop unless you pour the drink out of it first. And I personally believe it's very noticible in water, since what makes water great is the ABSENCE of flavor.

This is why it took me so long to get used to any other beverage - any drink that has flavor is unusually weird to me until I get used to it. Which, I realize is totally opposite of what most people think (they are so used to flavored beverages that plain water is very hard to stomach - they need flavor!).

-HM

Mr Zabe
03-15-2006, 09:06 AM
I respect your view on this. I just happen to not share it. LOL That's why I dig this board. I get to hear other views on stuff which keeps me sharp or was that bloated. LOL

boodoo
03-15-2006, 09:38 AM
I just got back from Denver and I am wondering how anyone ever sells bottled water there? The municipal water is fantastic! It has to be the best tasting tap water I have ever had.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-15-2006, 10:40 AM
BTW, at every hotel we stayed in the U.S. we asked for some bottled water, and they told us that we can drink water from the tap... it tasted like bleach... But that proves that tap water in U.S. is safe... While here in Mexico were accustomed to have in a hotel room one or two bottles of water with two glasses... because drinking tap water here is not safe...

[ 03-15-2006, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

CStoreCatMan
03-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I've heard news reports lately saying that bottled water isn't all that its cracked up to be. Even though its probably cleaner than almost all tap water...most bottled waters don't have any of the fluoride or minerals that's found in tap water. Therefore, people that drink lots of bottled water (or only bottled water) are starting to have tooth decay problems due to the lack of the natrually occuring nutrients in tap. That's why I drink Brita at home...it tastes good and I'm still getting the "good" stuff that comes in water...

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by jgator5:
I was quite surprised at the low ranking of Aquafina, as I had been drinking quite a bit of it. I guess the packaging is effective.

The top two waters, Volvic and Fiji, I feel have a "softness" to them that I enjoy. The softness you taste is salt. Accordingly, you ranked Aquafina lower because it is stripped of this softness. My friends complain that Aquafina tastes bitter or sharp, which is because of the lack of salt/minerals.

DJHS

sodagirl
03-15-2006, 04:01 PM

When I take out a bottle to drink, I replace it in the fridge with warm one. This way I will always have ice cold water. Here in Chicago, 14ct and 32ct cases of 500 ml bottle water are just about always on sale for $4.99 to $6.00.

Ahhh, me too! I always replace...actually my rule of thumb is to have about three in the fridge at a time. At our local grocery store either Aquafina or Dasani are always on sale, so I'm safe. Fiji, sadly, is never on sale, so I only get it single-serving when I'm out or when I go to the city because it seems to be everywhere there.

It's really strange that people have mentioned this, because I've been drinking Aquafina all this week, (well actually all month because I had a 24-pack), and yesterday and today I've been unable to tolerate it except in small sips. It's just been tasting nasty to me. Luckily I have 4 bottles left and a 24-pack of Dasani waiting to replace it =)

Mr Zabe
03-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Strange, I had the same experience with a case of store brand water that was bottled locally. The case was given to me so I attempted to drink it. I drank about 7 or 8 bottles (tasted ok, B List not A list). I could barely drink the 9th bottle. It tasted metallic and dull, I ended up throwing out the remainder of the case.

It's weired.LOL

Hollow Man
03-15-2006, 04:13 PM
It flabbergasts me that people pay to drink Dassani and Aquafina on a regular basis. It's just the water they use in soda. Purified tap water. Just buy a Brita filter! Then pour that water in a plastic bottle if it makes you happy!

-HM

[ 03-15-2006, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Hollow Man ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-15-2006, 05:33 PM
A looong time ago, when I was a kid... we used to have a filter, but the water didn't taste so good, and "made in mexico" water filters are not reliable, so usually we buy two water gallons per week, two of Junghanns or two of Coca-Cola's Ciel, $1.90 per water gallon... it worths it..

[ 03-15-2006, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Sorry to bump my own topic, but I just tried Glaceau's Smart Water. I really like it, but I soon found out that the reason is because its base is distilled water.

I bet the spring water purists hate it. Am I right?

Now, my list of tolerable bottled water goes: Aquafina, Dasani, Smart Water, Spa

DJHS

[ 03-30-2006, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: DJ HawaiianShirt ]

Mr Nethead
03-30-2006, 07:11 PM
When I try to drink water from a glass, I can taste the dish soap that was used to wash it. That's why I prefer bottles.

Dannon spring water is by far the best. Ice Mountain is good too. If there isn't a decent spring water available, I can drink Aquafina or Deja Blue. I really don't like Dasani much because they add salt and I can taste it.

Also, bottles are great for chugging. I'm really not the sipping sort, and if I want to drink a liter of water in a short amount of time, a bottle makes doing that easy.

Bottles are easy to keep cold too, which is a must for me. I have no interest in drinking a warm chemical cocktail from a glass. (The water here tastes horrible.)

Mr Zabe
03-30-2006, 08:16 PM
MrN
DITTO smile.gif

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-01-2006, 11:35 AM
The tap water here in DC is pumped straight from the Potomac River, which is downstream of many other cities in Maryland and Virginia who dump their (treated) sewage into the river. It may be technically sanitary, but it tastes nasty.

DJHS

Mr Zabe
04-01-2006, 06:12 PM
The suburb I live in gets treated water from Lake Michigan. Most people rave at how good it is. It has no smell or perceivable taste,IMO.

I just have a personal hangup and want a source filtered water.I'm willing to pay for it with in reason.

[ 04-01-2006, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Techne
04-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Actually, if water is mineral-heavy, it's hard water, and soft water is mineral-free water.

Volvic is definitely my favorite still water. With the only other alternatives in Japan being Evian, Contrex (both waay too heavy for my taste) and Suntory brand (which is in an steel can with a white label that kind of turns me off), Volvic has been a favorite of mine for about 6 years now. Incidentally, I hate the flavored versions, as both the orange and lemon taste like Cascade detergent.

My all-time favorite is Dannon's Badoit, a lightly sparkling water popular in France. I've heard rumors of immigration to the US, but have yet to track it down.

Biggest wastes of money include Fiji (tastes like the beach in a horrible way), Voss (pretentious and bland--I can get a gallon of the stuff at Walgreen's, where it's called 'distilled'), S Pelligrino (worst tricked pulled on restaurant goers nationwide; should be called S Peligroso, so nasty it's dangerous), and flavored Perrier (carwash airfreshener). Ugh.

reset man
04-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Sampled Iceland Spring recently and was impressed, clean with no aftertaste. http://www.icelandspring.com/

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-02-2006, 12:04 PM
I like your style, Techne.

DJHS

JP QuikServ Drinks
04-02-2006, 02:51 PM
HAS anyone heard of Le Bleu Ultra Pure water?

reset man
04-02-2006, 10:45 PM
What do we really mean by purity?
At 58 mg per liter TDS (total dissolved solids), it is the lowest of the major leading imports

Iceland Spring 58
Evian 309
Volvic 109
Vittel 403
Fiji 160
Crystal Geysir 590

reset man
04-02-2006, 10:46 PM
What do we really mean by purity?
At 58 mg per liter TDS (total dissolved solids), it is the lowest of the major leading imports

Iceland Spring 58
Evian 309
Volvic 109
Vittel 403
Fiji 160
Crystal Geysir 590

mrgears
07-27-2006, 04:24 PM
>>"Dannon and Pure American are bottled by Nestle at the same source. The only difference is the label and the price."

>"Pure American is an "off label" brand of the same source of the brand spring water Dannon. The only difference is that the off label brand does not get marketed or promoted. It is not produced by Walgreens. Walgreens just retails it.

>I brought Pure American at a local SpeedWay gas station last December. At the time 12ks packs of brand water were selling for $6, I paid $3.69 and was a very happy camper as it tasted great and when I read the lable I discovered it was the same source as Dannon. Needles to say I went back and picked up 4 more 12pks. LOL

>Nestle in effect has brand waters and non brand waters that they sell."

Zabe, are you sure about this? Dannon and Nestle are two different companies... And as far as I know, Pure American is a label exclusive to Walgreens, the reported scans from IRI don't show any sales for Pure American outside of the drug channel in 2006... maybe Speedway doesn't report but still I was under the impression it was an exclusive.
-Gears

fusion
07-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Way off base. Dannon water in the US is now owned by Coca-Cola, hence the name Spring! by Dannon.. they have to phase out the Dannon name, eventually.

I'm not sure if it's all this way, but all the Dannon I have seen is bottled in Milesburg, PA.

Deer Park and Poland Spring are Nestle waters... Poland Spring from Maine, Deer Park from various sources.

Nestle also makes Pure Life, which is probably what he is talking about. It's a purified water.. originally it was Aberfoyle (from a spring in Canada), but Nestle transitioned the brand away from that name/source and into a purified water.

mrgears
07-27-2006, 05:05 PM
yeah, that makes sense, confusing pure life and pure american. bottled water names all have common themes, there are dozens of brands that include the same words. I think I'm going to launch a generic water brand called crystal clear glacier mountain brand aquanatural spring water...

Didn't realize Dannon water is run by Coke. Very interesting how all these brands switch around. Nestle for sure has the most big brands, don't forget ozarka, zephyrhills, ice mountain, arrowhead and calistoga, too.

fusion
07-27-2006, 05:25 PM
But those are regional brands, for the most part.

Mr Zabe
07-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Springs by Dannon and Pure American are bottled at the same source,Milesburg, PA.

I made a big error in my prior post. Pure American is a private label Coca Cola spring water produced for Walgreens and smaller accounts. I have seen it at Speedway gas stations.

hbg
07-27-2006, 11:52 PM
i drink Voss 22 mg tds per liter. Absolutley the purest water i have ever had

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-28-2006, 08:06 AM
It's the most expensive too, hbg...

Ron Swedelson
07-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Yeah, Voss is a little pricey for me to just buy. But it is pretty good. Ice Age is still my favorite water. Only water I can drink cold or at room temperature and have it still taste good

Mr Zabe
07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Ron
Who bottles Ice Age and is it distributed outside the California territory.
Tks

hbg
07-28-2006, 08:52 PM
hey you only live once might as well spend the money while your around

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Ron Swedelson:
Only water I can drink cold or at room temperature and have it still taste good I've found that THAT'S the ultimate test for the taste of any certain kind of water.