PDA

View Full Version : Big Gulp Soda Pop

Mr Zabe
08-21-2005, 07:58 AM
I ended up stopping off at few 7-11s this morning.
Both stores had the full line up of Big Gulp soda pop. I brought Apple Ginger Spice? and Lemon Lime Mint Twist?

They are cooling off for now, I will report back with my review.LOL I did not get cola or diet cola,they just did not seem appealing to me.

(The 7-11 stores were located in Mt Prospect and Arlington Heights,IL.)

[ 08-21-2005, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Zabe
08-21-2005, 10:06 AM
I just drank the Apple Ginger Snap Big Gulp soda pop. What a let down. It just did not do it for me. There was not much apple flavor. The impression I got was that it was trying to be an apple soda pop and a ginger soda pop. It failed at both miserably.

[ 08-21-2005, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

NewColaLover
08-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Still looking for these at my local 7-11 in Michigan. None of them carry any of the flavors. Are they somewhere different than the coolers with the other sodas?

Mr Zabe
08-21-2005, 12:01 PM
The bottle looks pretty standard. The mouth of the bottle is a little bigger which makes drinking a touch easier. The bottles were cut in with the other big three bottles.

I have yet to try the lime flavor, my gut tells me these Big Gulp soda pops are a notch below store brand pop. Probably a C list soda pop in my goofy scoring system.

[ 08-21-2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Look In The Tunk
08-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Oh yeah, I saw 2 liter bottles of the reg. cola stll in their shrinkwrap at a seven eleven in Newport News, VA yesterday.

yankees26mlb
08-21-2005, 06:44 PM
why they made regular and diet big gulp cola soda beats me. No one is really going to buy it

fusion
08-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Oh no.. 2 liters, too?

Robot
08-22-2005, 03:01 AM
the diet cola is pretty good, but i wont go out of my way for it..

the mint lime is amazing IMO.. different than anything else out there.

havent tried the sugar cane cola, but if i drank regular sodas alot, i'd definately consider the sugar cane cola on a regular basis.. the apple ginger doesnt sound ogod ot me but ill definately give it a try sometime.

Mr Zabe
08-22-2005, 03:16 AM
Jimmy,
I just tried the BG Mint Lime Twist.
IMO, it had a rather subtle flavor which did not grab my taste budes. It was smooth for sure but not tasty enough. Again this would be a C list soda pop for my goofy grading system.

[ 08-22-2005, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Frostie Man
08-22-2005, 10:44 AM
I have tried all of the 7-11 flavors. I also produce a second tier soda in the market. I think the mint is a new taste that does have a great taste. The apple to me did have a strong apple flavor. Who will buy these? In the cstores everyone is getting hit with high gas and smokes cost. Some people dont want to pay 1.29 or more for the majors. The grocery stores all stock some store label for people who are looking for value. The c stores are looking down the same road. I would be curious as to what other sodas you would rate a C.Name some B also. The stores are also tried of the big guys with their pricing all over the place and demand for shelf space. The bigs make great pop but sometimes a little heavy handed.Just my thoughts.

Mr Zabe
08-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Taste is a matter of personal preference. I can only comment on how these beverages impact on me and my taste buds. Just like anyone else who posts on this board, I drink new soda pops and I share opinions good and bad.

I stand by my original thoughts. The apple ginger was a weak tasting soda pop for $.99 or a $1.29 (Which 99% of us soda pop freaks is not a sufficient price point. Heck for $1.49 give me my 20oz Pepsi/Coke. LOL)

The mint lime twist tasted weak to me as well.

That's all we do on this board is share our soda pop passions good,bad up and or down.

Have a nice day.

Zabe

[ 08-22-2005, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Frostie Man
08-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Would never try to change your mind on taste. You are correct that we all have different taste. My spouse will only drink COKE even at 2.00 per unit. My only point is there is a segment looking for value soda. I believe the beverage board is also a outlet for more than just taste profiles. I sell pop so always have marketing ideas in head. Love to see what pans out for other guys in biz. Thanks for your thoughs. Have to respect a senior member.

Frostie

fusion
08-24-2005, 12:50 AM
There are also other issues to consider. With the name brands, you'll get DSD delivery, 100% credit on damaged/ooc items, merchandising, and so on.

The only time you'll have to touch the product is when it's scanned at the register (although I do realize that at some locations, store personnel also refill the sodas).

But you are right, there are some consumers that will buy on price. That's why there is a private label segment. But from what I have seen, 7-11 hasn't communicated the price of their PL sodas that well. I only knew that they were 99ยข because I bought one.

DJ HawaiianShirt
08-25-2005, 11:17 AM
The Big Gulp Cola is utterly fantastic.(go cane sugar!)

I prefer it to Coke.

SEV smile.gif

golee1
08-27-2005, 01:49 PM
I tried the Cola yesterday, I agree it is excellent. But I saw the same thing, no communication on the .99 price point. Pretty much no execution at all. Kinda hard to get a new product of the ground that way.

Irishpepsi04
09-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
Oh no.. 2 liters, too? Hi Fusion

Yeah I saw a 2 liter of Reg Cola Big Gulp for $1.49 one shelf below the 20 oz Big Gulp's. Tried it, tastes not bad, but it'd be nice trying that in a glass bottle.