PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with RC in California?

Dr. Galaga
07-28-2006, 04:54 PM
I was surfing the web and came across a California retailer that used to carry WJ RC (http://store.drsoda.com/rcrcrco.html), but can't anymore due to Proposition 65. What is so harmful in it? :confused:
Is all RC banned?

CStoreCatMan
07-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Maybe its a certain type of formula. Prop 65 involved the ban of chemicals and substances that cause birth defects, cause cancer, reproductive harm, etc. I don't know why RC cola would be affected, but maybe its a particular formula of it that had a problem. RC cola is around in California...

The RC in the link you provided showed it made with cane sugar and in a glass bottle. Maybe that particular type had a problem.

Here's the info I found on Prop 65...
http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/background/p65plain.html

[ 07-28-2006, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: CStoreCatMan ]

NRGSLLR@
07-28-2006, 06:02 PM
I think it may have to do with the Benzene level in the water where the product is produced. If it is higher than 1ppb it may be restricted

dahojo
07-28-2006, 07:08 PM
It was the paint on the bottles. The state of CA has sued coke, pepsi and anyone with some certain paint on. Must have warning on lable.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
07-28-2006, 08:58 PM
i remember seeing on a mythbusters episode where they were trying to find out what kinds of foods make more farts, but anyways, when they were shopping for the food, they picked up alot of rc in glass, and that was in california, the bay area to be exact. but that was a few years ago...

David J.
07-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Rob The SURGE Drinker:
i remember seeing on a mythbusters episode where they were trying to find out what kinds of foods make more farts, but anyways, when they were shopping for the food, they picked up alot of rc in glass, and that was in california, the bay area to be exact. but that was a few years ago... Odd I was watching that last week! but I didn't pay attention to that.

01GTB
07-30-2006, 06:29 PM
While we are on the subject of disappearing sodas, what happened to BeveragesDirect's West Jefferson line?

Dr. Galaga
07-30-2006, 09:33 PM
The mother soda companies cracked down and busted WJ for shipping out of their area. All of the "out of area" vendors are hurting.

01GTB
07-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Hmmm :( So DPSU cracked the whip? Would you happen to know if there are other ramifications of this decision? Like maybe, oh, limiting purchases at the WJ warehouse? :mad:

I apologize if all of this has been discussed. If it was, I missed it.

Dr. Galaga
07-30-2006, 11:30 PM
By what I understand, it was just that they were shipping out of their area. I don't know if it was DPSU or some other company (Pepsico?). I bet someone in WJ could make a mint by renting a U-Haul, buying pallets of drinks and then taking them to a trucking terminal to ship them to these retailers.

doug1885
07-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Dr. Galaga wrote:
>The mother soda companies cracked down and busted WJ for shipping out of their area. All of the "out of area" vendors are hurting.

Aaagh! This is bad news. West Jefferson had a consistently superior product. Given that the soda is considerably more expensive to purchase that way than locally, couldn't there be some sort of financial agreement where a "surtax" is applied to this "gourmet" business, and allocated to the relevant bottlers in the shipped-to areas?

-Doug

01GTB
07-31-2006, 07:19 PM
I guess that the bottlers are ticked off because products from other bottlers are ending up in their territory, and the rules are on their side. The rules just seems to overlook one thing. You are not bringing in the same product in an attempt to circumvent a bottlers territory. And in the opinion of a lot of people, you ain't even bringing in a similar product. Customers are going to extremes, paying large shipping costs, driving hundreds of miles, and paying a premium for it. If the same product was marketed in the territory they live in, they sure as hell wouldn't go to all that effort and pay more for it.

Hacksaw
07-31-2006, 08:20 PM
It's the paint on the bottles. But Bev & More still sells it, just with a warning. So. don't lick the paint on pop bottles!

bardsny
07-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Its 2 problems. CA. attorney general does not want bottles with lead paint coming into the state. They contacted Cadbury and Pepsi saying that WJ is shipping into the state and wants it stopped. Cadbury and Pepsi came down on WJ. to stop shipping to anyone who is not a licenesse so they really can only sell within their territory. Whats left on the market other than at WJ is the supplies they purchased before the problem took off. I understand you can still purchase product from WJ if you drive there and they have limited quantities available for sale from their store. Also many of the bottles are being repainted without the lead paint so that is why you see different colors coming out of WJ.

01GTB
07-31-2006, 10:01 PM
That's a tough deal for people who built a business around selling WJ product for sure :(