PDA

View Full Version : Mello Yello Plan

melloyelloluver
08-13-2004, 01:01 AM
I have a great plan for Coke that would help them to compeate with Moutain Dew, and make millions of dollars in profit. Here is what I would do. It seems that a ton of Coke machines and fountains across the country have a setup something like this... 1.Coca Cola 2.Diet Coke 3.Sprite 4.Bargs 5.Cherry Coke/Vailla Coke 6.Coca Cola
A lot of times you will see a double Coke label in a machine or fountain like above. If I was the head of the Coca Cola company, I would cancel out every double Coke in ever Fountain or Machine nationwide and replace it with Mello Yello. I don't see how this plan could fail. Even if you take away a few double Coke slots and replace them with Mello Yello, I don't think this will affect regular Coke sales at all. And if Coke introduces Mello Yello nationally this way, they won't have to take away small brands in there machies or fountains like Diet Sprite or Minute Maid to add Mello Yello. I believe this idea would make Coke tons of money. And it could possibly awake a sleeping Giant - Mello Yello

So what do you people of the Board think of my plan to introduce Mello Yello nationwide. Would it work? I'm thinking of wrighting to Coke about this.

XLS_04
08-13-2004, 01:24 AM
It would help Mello Yello, but I am not sure if it would become national because of that. Coke is funny with some of their products, I mean you can try writing to them, but they will tell you something stupid like "oh that's up to your local bottler". As far as Mello Yello being sold national, anything is possible just look at diet cherry Coke most people did not know that was made and now it is national again.

zipper
08-13-2004, 11:13 AM
There's the problem that doubling up is because that's the top seller. In some places it's Diet Coke or Dasani that's doubled (or tripled) up because those will run out long before the others.

And as I said on the Pepsi Holiday board, Coke is chicken about national rollouts.

surge_my_afterglow
08-13-2004, 11:47 PM
mello yello is awesome, i love the taste and love it even more because it isnt pepsi smile.gif id love for that plan to work, id introduce it to CCE soon

surge_my_afterglow
08-13-2004, 11:52 PM
that plan kicks ass

Hacksaw
08-14-2004, 01:04 AM
Sounds good, but the response by the consumer upon finding the Coke being sold out (or one that Coke fears) would often be: "The machine ran out of Coke, so I won't get anything", or ever more dreaded by Coke/CCE: "The machine ran out of Coke, so I'll get a Pepsi from the machine next to this one". The same for Pepsi.

Now, if Coke/CCE (or Pepsi) researchs out the average sales of each product in each area, then they MIGHT find EXACTLY how many slots they need for each product, with the possibility of freeing up slots for reintroductions/new products.

I stil maintain that BOTH Coca Cola & Pepsi Cola have reached such a point of market saturation (how many people have tried neither but will start buying either based on ads?) AND product prefference (Will a Pepsi buyer switch to Coke just because of an ad?, and visa versa? I had one Boss where if there was no Coke at a Restaraunt he'd order an Iced Tea instead, forget Pepsi for him, no matter how many ads they have) that I think both are throwing away a lot of money with their ads for their colas.

Now, ads for the cola variants of both, & other products will do MUCH more good. I think Mello Yello falls in this class.

melloyelloluver
08-14-2004, 05:58 PM
I understand what you mean by Coke being afraid of not having Coca Cola in there machines.But if Coke would make special regulations to there own distributors to make sure there machines are full, I don't think they would have to worry about running out. Instead of worrying about Coke being in there machines they should be more concerned with there Mello Yello sales. Why doesn't Coke see how much Mountain Dew hurts there company. You see MD is a very youthfull drink. And the fact that all these kids are drinking Mountain Dew *and that Coke has hardly any competition* may cause Mountain Dew drinkers to favor Pepsi over Coke.

And another thing you said was that Coke over advertises it's regular brand. That is very true. I mean a person is either going to drink Coke or Pepsi and a comercial isn't going to change that. If I were in chare of Coke, I would carry through with the plan above, put Mello Yello in every convienence and grocery store, and then switch 50% of regular Coke sales to Mello Yello.

melloyelloluver
08-14-2004, 06:07 PM
That's 50% of Coke *ads* - not sales

drpep
08-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by melloyelloluver:
.But if Coke would make special regulations to there own distributors to make sure there machines are full It is not always Coke or Pepsi who are responsible for filling the machines. Also do you think they are going to spend money to hire a couple guys to drive around in trucks making sure the machines are filled?

melloyelloluver
08-14-2004, 08:34 PM
What I ment by saying *Coke should make special regulations to there own distributors to make sure there machines are full* - is Coke should know when to replace soda in it's machines, and should time the delivery trucks right to make sure there Regular Coca Cola doesn't run out. They don't need to hire people to make sure the machines are full. And secondly, I can't believe Coke lets there individual bottlers deside wheather or not to carry a soda. Coke should be in charge of the bottlers. It seems the bottlers are in charge of Coke.

zipper
08-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Coke ads are not meant to change an adult or teen from Pepsi. Dedication to brands is part of the reason demographics is the most important part of the Neilsons.
The ads are meant to keep a person drinking that bev instead of tea/juice/etc, get older individuals to switch from a generic, or get the children hooked that can hardly tell pepsi from pepper much less Pepsi from Coke

fusion
08-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Here's my two cents on this topic.

You'll have to first realize that Mello Yello is a much, much slower mover than Coke, Pepsi, Diet Coke, etc. Regardless if you put in in a vending machine, put it on a display, etc. I see a LOT of people buying 4 Cokes or 4 Pepsis when 12 packs are on sale 4/$10. No Pibb, no Pepper, no Sprite, no Mist, no Barq's, no Mug. Just the flagship cola. That's why even though we sell 30+ flavors, Coke still demands at least 10 facings on the shelf in any set 16 feet or larger. That's just the way it is. If I have a seven pallet display, two pallets better be Coke, or I'll be in trouble.

So, going back to your vending machine. Let's say that each selection represents 5 cases. And let's say that this machine sells 8 cases of Coke in between fills, and you have two selections for Coke. Take one away, and you've lost 3 cases of sales. Well, maybe some people will buy a Sprite, or whatever, but I think that most will just walk away, or maybe even buy a Pepsi. They want a cola.. not a citrus. People really are creatures of habit. Not everyone is a "try-er."

And with the number of machines, it would be way too labor intensive, not to mention the cost of running the truck, to deliver 3 cases of Coke to a machine 3 times a week, but not fill the other flavors but once a week. That just doesn't make sense.

The key is to have 2-3 machines available, that way you have the freedom to put other brands in them.

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-16-2004, 07:31 PM
bravo, fusion, bravo!

melloyelloluver
08-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Fusion, how can you say that people only buy the flagship cola like Coke and Pepsi? Do you not realise that Pepsi's Mountain Dew is the 4th top selling soft drink in the world? This is why Mello Yello is so important. If you introduce it nationwide and it suceeds, M.Y. will climb into the top 10.
And secondly, how can you say Mello Yello is a slow mover? Sure national sales suck *because it is only availible on a massive scale in a few states*, but look in SC,NC,GA,TN, and AL. Here Mello Yello sells about 40 million cases a year - this is inpressive. And Mello Yello is #20 on the top can selling soft drinks with a total of 50 million cases sold a year. Now just think what Mello Yello could be if it was sold nationwide.
So use you brain Fusion. Sure my plan on the top of this page, might cost some money. But think, if my plan worked Mello Yello would be huge, and earn coke millions and millions of dollars.

Startup Dude
08-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by melloyelloluver:
...So use you brain Fusion...I think he did. Maybe you should follow the example ;)

fusion
08-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Mello Yello is not Dew. Sierra Mist is not Sprite. Me-too drinks don't always succeed just because they imitate the big boys. Surge was supposed to be Coke's Dew, and it failed big time, on a national roll out. We were putting it in every cooler, on displays, in a prominent position in beverage sets, in lots of vendors, etc. One good year, and then it bombed. Vanilla Coke is headed down that road now, too. I don't even bother putting it on displays anymore, because hardly anyone is buying it. Coke's moved it up to the second shelf in the can set, which reduces the # of cases on the shelf at any given time. Cherry it outselling it at this point.

Mello Yello does indeed do well in the south. and I won't debate that Coke needs to put more behind the brand. I think the extensions were a great idea. Cherry was a lot better than Code Red, and Melon was very unique (I didn't care too much for Afterglow). But just cramming the brand into every machine isn't the solution. It needs to be properly promoted, included in displays, coupons, ads, etc. 2/$1 20oz in c-stores seems to be a good way to encourage people to sample products, from what I have seen.

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-18-2004, 08:57 AM
mello yello is in michigan...barely. it doesn't do anything really spectacular. so why would cce-michigan decide, "hey, wtf, let's take slots away and throw this stuff everywhere!"

now some stores will do alright with it, or a south carolina transplant will clear out a store at once, but it just doesn't do THAT well up here. dew is king.

regardless, i enjoy your enthusiasm for the brand, and maybe coke should have a more positive outlook on mello yello and some of it's other lesser known brands. i think that would be great. but a national re-re-re-rollout for mello yello would be tricky. coke is so massive they are happy with regional brands. look at all of their international brands. some of those cater to audiences that are smaller than the six states you identified.

imawalkingcorpse
08-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
mello yello is in michigan...barely. it doesn't do anything really spectacular. so why would cce-michigan decide, "hey, wtf, let's take slots away and throw this stuff everywhere!"

now some stores will do alright with it, or a south carolina transplant will clear out a store at once, but it just doesn't do THAT well up here. dew is king.

regardless, i enjoy your enthusiasm for the brand, and maybe coke should have a more positive outlook on mello yello and some of it's other lesser known brands. i think that would be great. but a national re-re-re-rollout for mello yello would be tricky. coke is so massive they are happy with regional brands. look at all of their international brands. some of those cater to audiences that are smaller than the six states you identified. I agree with everything that LilGuy has said here. Remember in the late 80's to the mid 90's Mello Yello sponsored a nascar team. It didnt help it all that much. Mello Yello is my favorite of all sodas by far and I am lucky that where I live you can get 12 packs and plastic bottles here and there. But we never did get any of the other flavors. I do wonder how Coke could go about it. it is definitely a mindset thing here, kind of like the Ford Chevy thing, they love mountain dew and cuss about Mello Yello, or they're like me I love Mell Yello and cant stand Mt. Dew. Maybe just a national resetting of the mind, who knows. But I do like MYLuvers enthusiasm. Thanks for letting me have the floor. Chris

karks88
08-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Coke just flat out doesn't promote most of its brands. They seem ok with the fact that Mello Yello sells well in a few areas of the country. They don't seem like they are willing to heavily promote it in areas that the brand hasn't traditionally done well in.

Personally, I'd love to see a way for fans of any one of their brands to get access to their favorite soda. To me it doesn't seem like it would be such a big deal to spend a little bit more money in order to make your customers happy. Trying to charge people more money for smaller packaging, etc. isn't making anyone happy and in fact all it's doing so far is costing them sales. I understand their need to make money but overall they have to become a more consumer-friendly company.

With the way things are, just be happy that there is at least an opportunity for you to buy Mello Yello if you want it. Even at worst you can still find it online. It's probably never going to be heavily marketed anymore, at least not in our lifetimes!

melloyelloluver
08-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Fusion, I am sorry for the comment I made. I guess I might be a little too obssesed with Mello Yello, but I just can't get over that fealing that I get when I go to the Southeast. PS-nice avatar immage! ;)

PhillySteve
08-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Has anyone noticed lately that melloyello.com is now being redirected to Coke's website. It can't be good news for the brand.

melloyelloluver
08-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Hey, PhillySteave - I myself was a little worried when I found out that the Mello Yello website was canceled. It's seems that Coke seems to be scaleing down the brand a little bit. But I wouldn't worry - It will hold it's ground in the Southeast. But I am slightly concerned that Coke is selling Sundrop with Mello Yello in some areas of the southeast.