PDA

View Full Version : Dog Days Of Summer Hydration

Mr Zabe
08-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Just wondering during the high heat and humudity,are you cutting back on caffeinated beverages?

Even though I do not go outside much I find myself drinking more Gatorade and spring water.
Soda pop just does no seem as appealing. Ok I stil manage to drink about four cans a day.LOL

jblaviback
08-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Yeah,
I know what you mean. What I find really enjoyable is taking an empty gatorade bottle filling it with kool-aid and putting it in the freezer until it is about half frozen. Then shake it up and you have a super cold super tasty kool-aid slushy.

Mr Zabe
08-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Great idea.
I will give it a try. smile.gif
Tks

greg
08-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I used to take 1.5 ltr Aquafina bottles and fill them up 1/3 of the way and freeze them at a 45 degree angle. I would then fill the bottles the next day before work with water. Always kept me satisfied. Those were the good old days. Ate what I wanted and still couldn't put on weight. Now it is the opposite, watch my diet and my pants still get tighter by the day.
Now I work in an air conditoned office all day and sweat my A$$ off when I go outside.

jacksmom
08-02-2006, 03:21 PM
I have always chilled my drinks, whether it's summer or winter (although in the winter I wear a sweater when I drink them). It differs on the drink, i.e. Mountain Dew from a can is perfectly chilled at 40 minutes in the freezer for me (just bordering on slushy but still able to get it out of the can), colas require less freezer time to get the same result (only about 15 minutes) and anything that's bottled I prefer in a semi-slushy state. With anything, if it's meant to be cold, I like it really cold - if it's meant to be hot, I like it really hot! I'm a "just so" kind of gal!

doug1885
08-02-2006, 03:26 PM
You're talking about 40 minutes in the freezer (0 degrees F), after taking it out of the refrigerator (40 F), aren't you? (I had estimated 35 minutes for this in the past, and about 1 hour and 20 minutes for starting from "room temperature".) Of course, I suppose refrigerators might vary.

-Doug

jmyjunk
08-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Just wondering during the high heat and humudity,are you cutting back on caffeinated beverages?

Even though I do not go outside much I find myself drinking more Gatorade and spring water.
Soda pop just does no seem as appealing. Ok I stil manage to drink about four cans a day.LOL Well no humidty here in Colorado, but it is plenty hot!! (A dry heat some would say)

These days I am drinkning seltzer water from 2 litres with pure lemon juice adde. No calories, very tasty, and keep me hydradted. I have been shying away from Gatorade because of the HFCS. But that's another topic.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
08-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Here in Aguascalientes is dang hot!, specially in the afternoon, is so hot that I have to drink around one or two daily liters of Ciel water (BTW, a new Ciel water dispenser arrived at the office where I work)... but also it rained a lot here during these last days...

01GTB
08-02-2006, 11:43 PM
I am a blue collar slob that has to work out in the heat and caffeine doesn't seem to affect me. Of maybe it does and I am too stupid to notice. I do drink a lot of lemonade, Gatorade and water this time of year, but still drink plenty of iced tea though.

Nick Laugher
08-03-2006, 02:39 AM
I've actually upped my caffeine consumption.

I'm averaging 3 cans of Hype a day.

In fact, yesterday I had 2 No Fear, a Tab, 3 Hype and a 4 pack of Red Rain.

DJ HawaiianShirt
08-03-2006, 05:43 AM
You're probably physically addicted to caffeine, Nick. Do you get headaches when you lower your caffeine intake?

jacksmom
08-03-2006, 11:25 AM
3 cans of Hype a day? You must spend all your time in the bathroom - I can't imagine that much caffeine! However, I do notice that the heat really zaps my energy, so maybe that's why you've instinctively been drinking more caffeine. On a side note, yes, Doug, my timed freezer assumptions were from taking a drink from the refrigerator and putting it in the freezer. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who "times" their beverage to a perfectly chilled degree!

Mr Zabe
08-03-2006, 11:58 AM
LOL
I do the same thing with Gatorade and bottled water. My problem is that I'm very impatient.LOL Waiting for the "slush effect" drives me nuts.LOL I wants my drinks when I wants them.LOLOLOL