PDA

View Full Version : Can I reuse these glass bottles?

ZmOz
08-17-2004, 07:45 PM
I found some Mountain Dew in glass bottles here (http://www.beveragesdirect.com/detail-844-Mountain_Dew_Glass_Bottles_24_Pack.asp), and I was wondering, if I got a capper and some bottle caps, like used for beer bottles, could I refill these bottles with mountain dew? Are all caps the same size? And will I have any problem with it going flat or anything?

Also, does anybody know of any place I could get the glass bottles any cheaper than the link above? (or locally?)

boodoo
08-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Product will go flat and most likely develop bacteria problem.

ZmOz
08-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Why is that?

boodoo
08-19-2004, 09:14 AM
If you have empty glass bottles around chances are they contain some type of bacteria. You could try boiling them in hot water prior to product transfer. The caps themselves also need to be as clean as possible to avoid contamination.

Once you open any carbonated beverage the carbonation immediately begins to escape. When you pour the MTD from one container to another you will additionally lose carbonation as the liquid is disturbed and comes into contact with air. It will hold some but after while it will rapidly go flat.

ZmOz
08-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Why will it go flat? Isn't the cap sealed? Why would it be any different when I do it than the bottler? Would this be any different than doing the same thing with 20oz plastic bottles? I refill those all the time, no problem.

glassbottlesrule
08-19-2004, 09:10 PM
why are you asking the question when you seem so convinced it will work? Go ahead do it if you do not like results stop. To me it seems like a waste of time. As a side note beverages direct is the best place to buy. They have the cheapest shipping around.

drpep
08-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by glassbottlesrule:
As a side note beverages direct is the best place to buy. They have the cheapest shipping around. I second that.

ZmOz
08-19-2004, 09:57 PM
I'm just asking a simple question...why? Why would it go flat?

Startup Dude
08-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Two elements will keep a liquid carbonated: pressure and temperature. More carbon dioxide will dissolve in a cold liquid, even more if the liquid is under pressure. Soda manufacturers bottle cold liquid at high pressure to obtain desired carbonation: pressure at the surface of the liquid inside the bottle forces the CO2 to stay dissolved within the soda. When you open the bottle, the pressure environment changes, the soda starts loosing its fizz, and there is nothing you can do to reverse the process in your kitchen.

Carbon dioxide has anti-microbial purpose. Reduce the amount of dissolved CO2 in the soda and you run the risk of bacteria contamination after a while, even if you use clean bottles.

ZmOz
08-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Will they go anymore flat after the cap has been put on? Like I said, I refill 20oz bottles all the time. While I agree that they are probably less carbonated than the original 2 liter bottle, it isn't noticeable, and once the cap is on it stays equally carbonated until I open it.

drpep
08-20-2004, 08:20 PM
JUST DO IT, OKAY. IF IT GOES FLAT YOU'VE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION. GEEZ!!

ZmOz
08-20-2004, 10:20 PM
There's no reason to get all pissy. Why is what I'm asking such a problem?

Shatter
08-21-2004, 12:24 AM
The same way that a sandwich left in a ziplock bag will still spoil, soda poured into a glass bottle will go flat. Just putting a cap onto the bottle won't keep the carbonation in. You need to vaccum seal the bottle to get all the excess air out. To do that, you need professional bottling equiptment. Honestly, it would be easier and cheaper to find an old fountain drink dispenser and get a local convenience store to sell you MD syrup. Then pick up cannisters of carbon dioxide from a local restaurant supply company. Get yourself one of those massive insulated cups like 7-11 sells, and carry it around with you.

ZmOz
08-21-2004, 12:40 AM
Thank you for elaborating.

Last question: (just a simple yes or no)

Considering bacteria, carbonation, and whatever else, would rebottling from a 2 liter be any different in these glass bottles than in smaller plastic bottles?

It wouldn't stay in the bottles for more than a week anyway...

Shatter
08-22-2004, 01:19 AM
It probably wouldn't stay carbonated for even half a day. It would be just like pouring Mountain Dew from a 2-liter into a glass. Pouring it will make it lose most of it's fizz. And putting a cap back on it will still not hold in it's carbonation for very long. Ever open a 2-liter bottle, and have it go flat in a couple days, even though you put the cap on extra tight? Same thing. The only way to really keep the glass bottles fizzy is to hermetically seal it with a professional bottling machine, which is pretty much out of the question for the average guy on the street. Sorry, dude.

ZmOz
08-22-2004, 02:37 AM
But again...would the glass bottles be any different than doing the same with a plastic bottle?

Startup Dude
08-22-2004, 01:22 PM
ZmOz, I'm baffled by your queries

drpep
08-22-2004, 09:41 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ZmOz
08-22-2004, 10:47 PM
Why is such a simple question so perplexing? If you don't know don't waste your time and mine by replying... :rolleyes:

Shatter
08-23-2004, 12:26 AM
Glass bottles would be no different than any other type of container. If it's not hermetically sealed, it will go flat. Plastic, glass, it doesn't matter. All air has bacteria in it. If there's ordinary air left in a bottle, the bacteria will get into the soda and spoil it after a while.

ZmOz
08-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Thank you again, Shatter, for actually answering the question.

Shatter
08-23-2004, 12:37 AM
No problem.

There was a Wal-Mart near me that, years ago, used to have a 'Fill It Yourself' soda machine. They had empty 1 and 2 liter bottles, and you could fill them by putting into this automated machine that would fill it up for you, but wouldn't pressure seal it, so the few I bought would go flat from getting shaken up on the drive home. I would have bought more soda from them, if they'd let me mix flavors together. I always loved mixing sodas together in fountain drinks, and I wanted to do it with that Wal-Mart machine, but it wouldn't let me. :(

Startup Dude
08-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ZmOz:
Why is such a simple question so perplexing? If you don't know don't waste your time and mine by replying... :rolleyes: I'm sorry I have wasted your time... Oops, I did it again :rolleyes:

drpep
08-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Sorry. Oops, I did it again :rolleyes:

ZmOz
08-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Wow, are you guys even old enough for your mommy to let you drink pop? Sounds like you need to get out more, you're getting WAY too worked up about this post...

Startup Dude
08-24-2004, 11:53 PM
I was really amused of being accused of wasting the time of a person who wants to rebottle a soft drink - seriously. Now, I feel sorry that I have wasted my time answering his question (as far as I'm know, I did answer his question).

Hey ZmOz, if I my mommy would approve, I would ask you to stick your insults up your a$$ and tell you to go F#@& yourself.

Sincerely,

Startup Dude

p.s. Oops, I did it again

No Soda
09-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey ZmOz...just do what I do-take one of your bottles and chill it, then pour the soda you want in and have it right away. I do this with refillable Coke and Pepsi bottles all the time. I tried the capping thing, but you just can't match the quality of the "professionally" bottled stuff at home, for the reasons already posted here.

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-23-2004, 10:02 AM
wait, so this whole post (which i ignored)is about this clown refilling glass bottles so it gives the aura that he is drinking straight from a glass bottle, even though his cheap ass is buying 2Liters? hahahahaha. this is one of the funnier posts we've wasted our time on on this board.

kmikeym
09-23-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm glad you figured it out... I was never sure the reason he wanted to pour his soda into another container in the first place.

boodoo
09-24-2004, 09:50 AM
I feel so...so...so...used!