PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks.....loosing edge?

Mr Zabe
08-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Starbucks Forzen Drinks Hurting Core Business. (http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/08/02/D8J8KO500.html)

Wow, I guess Starbucks is loosing it's competative edge?

Gee,I bet a smart store manager probably had been telling upper management that long frozen drink prep times were drastically lowering hot coffee sales. Funny how an obvious correctable problem can cause such financial loss.

[ 08-02-2006, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

greg
08-03-2006, 09:46 AM
I personally don't get the big deal about Starbucks. I enjoy my coffee black. I don't get into all the choices. My wife on the other hand goes in there and orders like a seasoned veteran. When she tells the "barista" that her husband wants a coffe black it is almost commical how the reaction is. They can't believe someone would want just a black coffee. They ask her 2-3 times if she is "SURE" that I want it just Black.
LOL

Ron Swedelson
08-03-2006, 10:38 AM
My wife loves Starbucks, her little sister works at one, so she loves that she gets everything 1/2 price. When ever I go and order for her, or get me a hot chocolate, or one of their new frozen drinks (I have coffee), I refuse to use their sizes. I will still order small, medium, or large. They will repeate with grande or whatever it is, and I will say "Yes, medium, or yes large please."

Rob The SURGE Drinker
08-03-2006, 02:26 PM
ahh, starbucks...one day, we diddnt have any of 'em. then, two empty buildings were built on the north and west sides of town. for a few weeks, they were just empty. then starbucks moved in, and added a franchise of theirs into a target store, too. no one goes to the standalone stores, and the one in target makes the entire store smell horribly of extra strong coffee... where i live, they never had an edge. they never advertised, and all the local coffee shops that were there for 20+ years still are selling more than that overrated franchise. i give them 6 months, and they will be out of my town, and on to the next small town...

greg
08-03-2006, 03:03 PM
ROB,
I bet it is a hard sell to get a mid-westerner to pay up to $6 for a cup of coffee! I live in South Florida where abundance and frivolous spending is the norm and I have a hard time paying $6 for anything that doesn't have alcohol in it!!!!!

Mr Zabe
08-03-2006, 05:06 PM
LOL
Heck $6 bucks for us Midwest folks can get us a bag of beef jerky and a litter of Coke.LOL That's enough to feed a family of four and the pet dog Rex. LOLOLOL

The addiction of the $5 to $6 dollar coffee is alive and kicking in the small towns to the big Windy City. (Speaking for the greater Chicago area and it Suburbs.)

[ 08-03-2006, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
08-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
LOL
Heck $6 bucks for us Midwest folks can get us a bag of beef jerky and a litter of Coke.LOL That's enough to feed a family of four and the pet dog Rex. LOLOLOL
yeah, espesially if you shop at woodmans, they have even better prices, with a bag of jerky averaging 2.99 for a big bag. that, a cup of yogurt, and a 2 liter of vault is a nice meal, lol... and under 6 bucks

pitch_spice
08-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by greg:
ROB,
I bet it is a hard sell to get a mid-westerner to pay up to $6 for a cup of coffee! I live in South Florida where abundance and frivolous spending is the norm and I have a hard time paying $6 for anything that doesn't have alcohol in it!!!!! I LOVE LOVE alcohol!

the saint
08-04-2006, 08:17 AM
The walmarts around here give away coffee to the customers so there is always a bunch of people standing around. They built a Starbucks not too far from my house 4-5 milesor so and they are building another a few blocks away. I haven't ever noticed a line at the existing one.

[ 08-04-2006, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: the saint ]

Mr Zabe
08-04-2006, 08:38 AM
LOL
A few weeks ago, I was waiting in my car near the entrance of my local grocery store. This grocery store gives out 4oz cups of fresh coffee.

Some clown in a dusty pick up truck,double parks by the store entrance. He gets out of his truck with a large 7-11 coffee cup. He runs into the store and a moment later runs out with a full cup of coffee.

I could not help myself but to laugh. I guess if the store had free self serve soda pop,I would do the same. LOL

CStoreCatMan
08-04-2006, 11:58 AM
LOL Zabe! I got a visual of that!

Here in SoCal, also home of much frivolous spending, people don't bat an eye at paying $3-$6 for thier coffee drink. In fact, many have a daily Starbucks habit...

Then there are those who add more stuff to their drinks and rack up the price. I think the most expensive concoction I've seen someone get rang up at around $7!!!

Rob The SURGE Drinker
08-04-2006, 10:26 PM
in many of our shopping centers, there is at one place that offers free coffee for the shoppers, so people who are shopping in the center will go into that store, and grab a coffee, and leave and go to another store... i have to admit i did that once, lol

popologist
08-07-2006, 05:13 PM
starbucks are everywhere in NYC.

but they've definitely got more competition now than they did 10 years ago. i think even mcdonald's is selling some premium iced-coffee drinks now.

pepsipimp
08-08-2006, 04:02 PM
One of the malls in town here has a Starbucks Kiosk & store in the mall, another in The Great Indoors, Another across the street (stand alone), another inside an office park across the street, another inside Meijer, and another inside Giant Eagle all on the same street!

Mr Zabe
08-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Gee it sounds like a simular situation in parts of the near north areas of the City of Chicago. In the "Yuppie" (young and up in coming crowd) there is just about a Starbucks on every other block along with other sorts of coffee shops.

I swear if I had a nickel for every "in use" coffee cup on any given day in that area of the town, I would have acquired enough money to go to a fancy day spa for several weeks. LOLOLOLOL

David J.
08-09-2006, 01:07 AM
One is coming to my town, and I think they do well. Even though median incomes are less than $25,000 in my area! You wouldn't beleive how many people working minimum wage jobs buy/have nice items... and have to work six/seven days just to stay afloat.

Thank god I am frugal, but that's a rant for another time. smile.gif

Mr Zabe
08-09-2006, 07:25 AM
David J,
From one frugal guy to another.... smile.gif