PDA

View Full Version : Is it Pop or Is it Soda or is it Both?

jmyjunk
09-07-2005, 12:54 PM
A follow up to the Where are you thread.

Do you call the carbonated sugar/sweetener based beverage soda or pop or soda pop?

I'm from St Louis, and it's soda!
I live in Colorado, where people here call it pop.

What about in your area?

Mr Zabe
09-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Excellent thread.

I have called my favorite carbonated drinks POP
since the first sip my parents gave me at the dinner table.

When I joined this board I felt it was important to call it SODA POP so as fit in my better.

I know in parts of the south pop is called COKE for all carbonated soft drinks.

I would rather just say POP?
What do you guys think? Should I just say pop?

[ 09-07-2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

jmyjunk
09-07-2005, 02:13 PM
See, I could never call it pop.

It's soda, and I could never change that. To me it is a reflexive word.
But, Mr Zabe, if you grew up calling it Pop, then its just as reflexaive for you to say that, as me saying soda!
So, Pop away!

Mr Zabe
09-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks, pop it is.LOL

wonkapete
09-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Yep, it's "Coke" here in the South. You just ask for a coke.

redchucks219
09-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Just like most of the midwest, Michigan calls it pop. After calling it pop most of my life I just started to call it soda for some reason. Pop kinda sounds weird to me. And if you look on all the bottles/cans it says soda so i think i'm gonna change my ways. Long Live Soda!

SPLASTiK
09-07-2005, 06:20 PM
I call it soda generally.

Though if talking about it to a friend or whatever I'm more like to say something like, "want to go to the store and get some coke?"

check out this website, it's a ****** poll thats been going since the late 90's in North America. It seems Pop is said slightly more than Soda is.
http://popvssoda.com/

ramonazo
09-07-2005, 09:24 PM
If you want a Coke here in Mex, ask for a "Coca", or if you want a Pepsi, ask for a "Pecsi"

And we call soft drinks as: refrescos or "chescos" (we rarely name them "sodas")

[ 09-07-2005, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

turtleboy
09-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Excellent thread.

I have called my favorite carbonated drinks POP
since the first sip my parents gave me at the dinner table.

When I joined this board I felt it was important to call it SODA POP so as fit in my better.

I know in parts of the south pop is called COKE for all carbonated soft drinks.

I would rather just say POP?
What do you guys think? Should I just say pop? Well, Zabe, you can fight it for a while, but you will soon be calling it "soda". I, too, called it pop most of my life. I taught my children to call it pop. My wife is from Ohio and she calls it pop. After following the BevBoard for a few months I was calling it soda pop. Within a year it was just soda. Now pop just seems too weird to say. That's just one of the ways the BevBoard changes your life!

XLS_04
09-08-2005, 02:27 AM
here in Rhohe Island we call it "Soda" but we also call water fountains that you drink from "bubbler's"

Mello Yello Luver
09-08-2005, 02:53 AM
CHECK OUT THIS SODA MAP!!!!!
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/blogphotos/Blog_Cola_Large.gif
MY state of PA is split in half:
Eastern PA=SODA
Western PA=POP

[ 09-08-2005, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Mello Yello Luver ]

BottleBoss
09-08-2005, 09:45 AM
When I lived in Jamaica they called the "Soff Drinks". Not Soft, Soff. They even spelled it that way.

Mr Zabe
09-08-2005, 10:09 AM
MYL
That map is awesome!
Very cool to see how the country breaks down
name wise. It's kind of like the bible for soft drinks here in the US. smile.gif

iluvsurge220
09-08-2005, 04:36 PM
In Kentucky, it's a split between Coke and Pop. Personally, I dislike Coca-Cola so when I want a pop I don't say Coke because I'm not gonna get a Coke. I think it would be kind of confusing if someone said, "Hey wanna Coke" and they bring out like a Mello Yello or Sprite or something besides Coke. Well thats my piece. Pop all the way!!

DPDude
09-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Yep, calling all "carbonated beverages" Coke is commonplace in the south, even in Texas. When I was growing up people would ask "What kind of Coke would you like?" and the reply could be "I'll have a Sprite" or more likely "I'll have a Dr Pepper."

BottleBoss
09-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Calling all sodas a coke is like calling all cars a 'Ford'. What kind of Ford do you drive?

Acheron
09-10-2005, 10:18 PM
I grew up in a very heavily Soda area (east-central WI) and reside in a very heavily Pop area (east-central IA.)

That map seems spot-on, though it completely escapes me how the lion's share of the south can call all soft drinks Coke. I guess that explains one reason why Coke is far and away the #1 drink brand.

Mr Zabe
09-10-2005, 11:05 PM
Coke may have been one of the first carbonated beverage that was distributed in the South. That's my guess. Maybe a collective of people were at a party, they drank some Coke and together said "gee that's good Coke" and the name stuck. LOL