PDA

View Full Version : Gold Peak Teas: Your opinions please.

cokepa
08-03-2006, 07:05 PM
I haven't read much on here about Coca-Cola/ Nestea's Gold Peak teas yet. What do you think?

I am hearing very, very favorable comments on them out in the trade. We've been out of stock on them some this week and have had some very disappointed customers.

My opinion: I've tried the Lemon and the Green Tea and like them very much. The diet Lemon is OK but I am not much of a diet drinker. I think there are two more flavors (one being a Sweet Tea without lemon) too but we are not carrying them in our area. They are replacing the current 16 oz. hot-fill Nesteas (in the plastic bottles) in our area.

The bottle is very attractive. I think someone did their homework on this one. It's a 16.9 oz. bottle but looks much larger than that. Compare it to Lipton's short 16 oz. bottle, there's a tremendous difference in the two, at least in appearance, although Gold Peak is only .9 oz. more. Anyway, IMO, this would lead the consumer to feel he is getting a lot more value for the money, and then he gets great taste too. This will definately bring in initial sales and then repeat customers as well.

So who has tried them, what do you think?

Mr Zabe
08-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Nestea Gold Peak (http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002912950)

Here is an article that you may find of interest.
I have yet to see NGP. I'm going to the Kenosha Woodman's this weekend. If I find it (on sale LOL) I will buy it and offer my review. smile.gif

[ 08-03-2006, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fusion
08-03-2006, 08:11 PM
The diet version isn't lemon flavored. It's just diet tea.

I have tried the lemon, green, and sweet. Despite the use of HFCS, these are good teas. I really liked the sweet. I found it in Philadelphia Coke territory, apparently CCE is only selling the lemon, green, and diet for now?

It's all being produced in California, in American Canyon (code AC).

The bottle is very attractive, but the labels fall short, in my opinion. But it does look better than the rocket 16oz it's replacing. It's taking some getting used to with this glass packaging, we haven't had single serve glass for a long time.

Acme has them 10/$10 this week, and they are featured in a back to school ad for the next two weeks at 10/$10 as well.

The official website is

http://www.goldpeaktea.com/

Godiva Belgian Blends are due out next week.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
08-03-2006, 10:07 PM
zabe, i might go to woodmans tommorrow, ill see if they have it here.

Mr Zabe
08-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks Rob.

Mr Zabe
08-06-2006, 11:14 AM
I found 3 flavors of Gold Peak this morning at my local Jewel grocery store. They were priced at $1.29 (not on sale). The shape of the bottle reminds me of a small wine bottle. I must say it is a rather sexy presentation. The label dose have a certain elegance being that it is for a mass produced sugar tea. LOL

I brought a few lemon flavored and few green tea flavored bottles. The are cooling down in the fridge but soon I will post back with my tasting reviews.

Mr Zabe
08-06-2006, 04:37 PM
I just tasted(drank) the Lemon and the Green Tea Gold Peak ice teas.

1. The tea flavor was strong but not so that I did not enjoy it. LOL In my silly way of expressing my beverage tasting experiences;the tea flavor tasted like a non stop commuter train entering and then leaving the train station. I have never tasted an Ice Tea that so reminded me of homemade sun tea.

2. Both teas had a balanced sweetness in that,I was not over powered with the "HFCS" after burn efffect.

3. IMO Gold Peak was a notch above the Limpton Glass Ice tea. Gold Peak IMO was well worth the $1.29 I paid for it. If you like a nice "perky" ice tea that goes down smooth, then Gold Peak is a good choice.

4. The only hope is that Coca Cola gets it's act together and employees a solid marketing plan.

[ 08-06-2006, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

cokepa
08-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Fusion: thanks for your correction on my Diet Tea not containing lemon. Not sure what I was thinking on that! I'll be down in Philly Coke's area this week so I'll try to get some of the Sweet tea there. We were told that the "higher-ups" of CCE made the decision to only sell the three flavors (lemon, diet and green) in our area. But I don't know how widespread this is or how "higher-up" these decision makers are. But glad to know that Philly is carrying the other flavors so I am anxious to try them.

DMC
08-07-2006, 10:38 AM
well, we had goldpeak for about 2 weeks, and have since stopped the distribution and went back to selling 160z nestea.

we are an independent bottling company (ozarks coca-cola/dr. pepper bottling company) so we have to score contract with CCE to distribute prdoucts. well, supposedly, there was some hidden language in the contract we agreed to, so we pulled out and we are still in negotiations to get gold peak back. i'm sure we will, but it could be a few weeks yet.

as far as the quality, it's excellent. it's got the fresh brewed taste that nestea doesnt have. a great quality tea, i really hope we get it back.

CStoreCatMan
08-15-2006, 06:19 PM
BevNet didn't give them a great review and then trashed them further in the latest blog. When oh when will Coke get non carbs down?

popologist
08-16-2006, 03:19 PM
i think coca-cola would rather you all like the new teas, then a few finicky editors at bevnet. ;)

cokepa
08-16-2006, 04:55 PM
I agree, popologist. I am impressed with how they are selling so far, and the favorable comments I hear on the street. I know of one customer buying 4 or 5 bottles a day!

I was down in Philly Coke's area last week and tried the Sweet Tea. It was good, but I agree with others that it would be a lot better with sugar instead of HFCS.

juniorjin
08-31-2006, 02:16 AM
they are available in michigan in the meijers
and i tried the green tea flavour

i really am not impressed with it. The HFCS really dumbs down the flavour of the green tea. Nestea's green tea and arizona's green tea are still better tasting

i am wondering if coca cola bottling has also started distributing the arizona iced teas and if they are being suggested to be placed in the coca-cola cold vault with the other coke drinks or with all the other drinks

i'm still curious as to why coca-cola bottling started distributing arizona and why coca-cola started selling gold peak pretty much in the same time period....

cokepa
08-31-2006, 06:20 PM
Where is Coke distributing Arizona Teas? Which bottlers are doing this?

reset man
08-31-2006, 10:22 PM
I thought from the look of the packaging I'd be getting a real brewed, hot fill tea. I was disappointed to see it was just another tea from concentrate.

fusion
08-31-2006, 10:59 PM
CCE is distributing AriZona in Canada.

rackitup
09-02-2006, 12:24 AM
I tried the Lemon flavored, it was OK.

I likeds the wide mouth bottle.

I liked the low price, $1.59 in Vegas.

I thought it was real brewed/hot filled like Reset Man, I am dissapointed it is not.

I still prefer Lipton Brisk in 16 oz glass.

cokepa
09-04-2006, 06:43 PM
I was in DuBois, PA today and saw all 5 flavors of Gold Peak there, so some CCE areas are carrying all of them.

golee1
09-06-2006, 12:31 PM
We're supposed to be getting the other two also. The initial three are doing well.

fusion
09-06-2006, 12:50 PM
The sweetened version is good - but I wonder why they didn't do an extra sweet/Southern style? Pepsi sells tons of that, at least around here.

DJ HawaiianShirt
09-07-2006, 09:41 AM
I just tried the Green Tea and I believe it has a taste that's more sophisticated than most green teas out there.

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-08-2006, 05:50 PM
i don't think this stuff has legs. anyone think it's got legs? i think it looks terrible. so amateur!

fusion
11-09-2006, 11:51 AM
It's doing ok, despite the lack of promotion.

We now carry the unsweetened and sweetened varieties in our warehouse.

golee1
11-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Have you heard the rumor that a extra sweet version may be on the way?

Supposedly the sweet without lemon is the best of the bunch. I can't stand tea so it all tastes like junk to me.

cokepa
11-09-2006, 01:28 PM
We're supposed to be getting the unsweetened and sweetened in our warehouse too but I haven't seen any yet. I've had some customers ask about extra sweet, so if people want it, they'll likely introduce it sometime. I'd be in favor of it.

wonkapete
11-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Here's the ones in our area..

http://static.flickr.com/112/293362640_4cfc5488f8.jpg?v=0