PDA

View Full Version : Mello Yello

Rob A
08-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Ok, I have never had the guts to ask this, but here it goes.

I'm was an avid surge and citra drinker back when they were around, and an avid vault drinker now. But I here how surge was supposed to phase out mello yello to compete better with Dew. But in the end coke stuck behind mello yellow and sadly killed surge altogether.

But I gotta ask, what the hell is mello yello? I am 100% serious. I have never seen or tasted a mello yello in my life, am I missing something here?

obese ninja
08-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Indeed you are. Mello Yello is 1000x better than Mountain Dew imho.

DJ HawaiianShirt
08-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Imagine Mt Dew with a little less caffeine, and accordingly, a much sweeter taste(because caffeine is bitter), and slightly less carbonation, and you have Mello Yello. Mello Yello's stomping grounds are in the deep south, from North Carolina, all the way west to Kentucky, and then down toward Alabama and back up through the Carolinas. Apparently it's popular enough there to merit its simultaneous sale beside Vault.

Smoothcat
08-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Sadly, it seems even here in one of Mello Yello's last "strongholds", Coke is trying to phase it out. In most convenience store coolers, 20 oz. bottles have been moved to the bottom shelves. We do still have it in most restaurant fountains, but I have to wonder how long. It's a shame, too. I tried Vault, and really wanted to like it. I just couldn't. Give me the sweet, rich taste of Mello Yello any day over Vault.

As an aside, when I traveled to Pennsylvania a few weeks ago, I was surprised to actually see Mello Yello in a few places. I assumed Coke would kill it outside of the South. Glad to see it hanging on, albeit barely.

[ 08-06-2006, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Smoothcat ]

David J.
08-07-2006, 01:04 AM
I bought some in Winona, like 4 fridge packs. I thought it was going away in my area, but I saw big can fridgepacks out and about.

Great drink, and very refreshing.

cokepa
08-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Smoothcat - Sorry but 20 oz. Mello Yello is now discontinued from our warehouse in central PA as of last week. Guess Vault is taking over.

DMC
08-07-2006, 06:58 PM
we still sell mello yello side by side with vault in all of our c-stores. mello yello has always held it's own in this area, but since vault has showed up, sales have been down, but not to merit a discontinuation of it in our plant...yet. and honestly, for that to happen, it's gonna have to really dry up in sales, because as of right now it's still holding strong. vault is selling pleasingly well.

killjimmy
08-07-2006, 07:09 PM
i just saw new packaging on the mellow yellow here today.

DMC
08-07-2006, 07:24 PM
yeah, we've had the new packaging of MY in our area for a while now.

Rob A
08-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

Smoothcat
08-07-2006, 11:53 PM
CokePA - I hate to hear that. I was pleasantly surprised to still see Mello Yello in PA when I was there about a month ago. I didn't expect to see it that far north. I hate it for fans of MY in your part of the country, as I know I would be pretty upset if I could no longer find it here.

NRGSLLR@
08-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Sounds like Coke is missing the point of the beverage industry. Why take an established brand and kill it in favor of brands and flavors no one has ever tried or heard of. Perhaps they should spending a couple million advertising brands they already own and stop trying to recreate the wheel. No wonder my stock has tanked in the last 10 years!!

Mana211
08-09-2006, 12:03 PM
I'll put it too you this way. I drink a Mello Yello every morning (usually before my feet hit the floor) and I won't even drink mountain dew or any other replacement for Mello Yello.

If by some weird mistake they killed Mello Yello production I'd probably switch to C2 for my morning soda or just cut my morning soda out completely.

Mana211
08-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Oh and I guarantee you if they give me a EOL warning on it I'd stock up at least 6 months worth if not 12 months (depending on price).

Sure I'd have twenty or thirty 12 packs stacked up but I'd wouldn't run out right away...

Mr Zabe
08-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Not trying to a smart ass..LOL
Do drink your first can of MY warm or do you have a mini fridge by your bed? Or even better yet have you trained a pet or a member of your family to get your first serving of MY?

A dear friend of my Mom's has started her day with a bottle of Coke (now a can) for the past 50 years. When her husband was alive, he used to bring it to her in bed.

[ 08-09-2006, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mana211
08-09-2006, 02:33 PM
My Girlfriend brings it to me most mornings but if she isn't around I walk downstairs and get it out of the fridge myself.

It just doesn't count if it isn't COLD. If it hasn't been in the fridge for more than 6 hours or the freezer for more than 30 minutes it isn't cold enough.

SaveCitra
08-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Citra!!!!!1

bigrich
08-12-2006, 09:57 PM
I visited three states in the last couple of days. I thought we had alot of Mello Yello in Indiana. I could not believe the amount I witnessed in Central & Northern Illinois & Eastern Iowa. Some stores in Iowa had six facing of Mello Yello. Pibb was the same way, also noticing Pibb Zero has spread all the way to the Indiana State line. The Pibb Zero had fresh dates and the Mello Yello was fresher than Vault.

fusion
08-13-2006, 08:10 PM
But no Diet Mello Yello?

Pibb Xtra and Mello Yello were also very well represented on my last trip through Kentucky. Supercenters had Pibb and Mello 20oz in every cooler. I even saw 24 packs of Pibb, something I hadn't seen since the Mr/Xtra switch, and Mid-Atlantic Canners produced Pibb cubes for Central Coke.

David J.
08-13-2006, 08:45 PM
I saw 24 packs of Mello Yello in Winona, well a couple at the Super Walmart.

SplitLevelP
08-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Mello Yello can be found in rest stop vending machines along I 90 & I 87 The NYS THRW.

David J.
08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
I thought CCE NY quit bottling it? I live near Alex Bay, so who bottles it?

pitch_spice
08-15-2006, 05:55 AM
Still alive in the Twin Cities. Can be found along with Vault in many grocery stores.

Mana211
08-16-2006, 05:13 PM
I stocked up on a several 12 packs of Mello Yello a few 12 packs of some others just this last weekend at walmart. New graphics on the 12 pack and late 06 or early 07 dating on all the packs.

I can't remember which were which. I got caffiene free diet dr pepper, caffiene free diet coke, C2, Mello Yello, and the Minute Maid Cherry Limeade (which is non carbonated and has 10 calories a can, ok taste but I miss the carbination, I suppose if you mixed it with sprite zero or some other sprite type drink it make a good run at reminding you of Sonic).

djfontes
08-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Sadly, from what I have heard out of a relative who works for Coke they are going to discontinue Mello Yello. It’s unfortunate to me because I’ve really come to love it. Actually I started to drink it when I first heard rumors of its market demise right around the time that my interests in MAME led me to Mello Yello Q*bert. These 2 things coalesced together and brought me to drinking it. Ironically I’ve been getting it cheap in a lot of places with discount stickers I’ve found on bottles, but I’d gladly pay the full regular price to keep it coming. In fact I just left a message to Coke asking them to reconsider this decision. Of course one other avenue for this might be to see if those who like the drink might get someone who makes small runs of obscure beverages to acquire the rights to manufacture Mello Yello from Coke. I know it sounds crazy, but I got the idea from talking with a fellow who worked at Soda Jerks in Missouri. I had told him how I used to love Jolt in the 12oz glass bottles and wished they hadn’t stopped making it in them. He then told me that some small manufacture actually did get the rights to make it that way and they did receive shipments of it in there at the store. (This store is an amazing place for those who haven’t seen it.)

breakstones
08-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Every c-store in minnesota basically has Mello Yello

iowacity
08-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by breakstones:
Every c-store in minnesota basically has Mello Yello Same here in Iowa. Not much Vault around.

Mr Zabe
08-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Last weekend, I saw two fresh facings of MY fridge packs at my Local Super Value (Jewel) grocery store. It was fresh as I checked the sell by date just for the MY heads on this board.LOL

Like I have said before,Chicago is the Mecca for Big Three soda pops. smile.gif

[ 08-23-2006, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

djfontes
08-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Well, 'hope you guys are right about that. I only know what he said and he's a regional distribution supervisor so they must be telling him something.

Cheer-wined
08-23-2006, 08:12 PM
We don't even have Vault in NW NC because CCBCC sells Sundrop and Mello Yello. That should give you an idea of how strong MY is here. They are like Tab drinkers, loyal to death.

David J.
08-23-2006, 11:44 PM
I thought it was only Abarta that didn't produce Vault? Before you know it, they will Bring Vault there.

Again, when I was in Minnesota, I sure did see a lot of MY there. I can't drink any citrus drink early in the morning -- for some reason I can get a funny taste and all citrus drinks have them (Mt. Dew, Vault, Mello Yello) and even drinks like MDX and AMP. When I'm not awake my taste buds can only pick up one taste and it makes me spit it out. I guess it's one of the indgredents?

Mr Zabe
08-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Your morning mouth (LOL) is probably sensative to the brominated vegitable oil found in nearly all citrus soda pops. B.V.O.

Brominated Vegtable Oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brominated_vegetable_oil)

David J.
08-24-2006, 04:03 PM
That might be it. If I drink any citrus drink when I am wide awake I can barely taste it, or not at all.

chelsthuggit
08-25-2006, 04:05 PM
okay so im desperate.
where the hell can i find mellow yellow here in las vegas??
my boyfriend is in love with it and i want to suprise him with some but i cant find it anywhere.

cokepa
08-28-2006, 03:38 PM
I saw Mello fridge packs in Altoona, PA last week. They would be coming from the sales center in Ebensburg, PA I believe so that area must still be carrying them, at least for now. I also saw C2 fridge packs there in the new big-can design with very good dates, for those of you interested in C2.

iluvsurge220
09-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Mello Yello is way better than Mountain Dew, you've gotta find one somewhere.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
09-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by chelsthuggit:
okay so im desperate.
where the hell can i find mellow yellow here in las vegas??at The World of Coca-Cola soda fountain, I bought a cup there :D

[ 09-08-2006, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

SplitLevelP
09-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by David J,:
I thought CCE NY quit bottling it? I live near Alex Bay, so who bottles it? the code on the bottle is 08162wv2ct972
after the freshness date are the letters RCA

[ 09-16-2006, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: SplitLevelP ]

fusion
09-16-2006, 05:21 PM
RC = Rochester, NY.

David J.
09-16-2006, 09:18 PM
You know... shoot me for saying this... but that Wal-mart Mountain Lighting is better than Mello Yello, so I won't miss it.

How much caffene is in the wal-mart mt. dew knockoff?

iluvsurge220
09-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Idk but yeah that stuff is good. But better than Mello Yello? That's pushin it a little bit don't ya think?