PDA

View Full Version : West Jefferson Dr. Pepper - Glass Bottle Mountain Dew

missionmtdew
08-14-2006, 07:49 PM
I am desperately trying to get my hands on glass bottled mountain dew. I want to buy 2-3 cases, but the bottler in West Jefferson can't ship their cases because of a lawsuit between Pepsi and the State of California (the folks at the bottler were really nice about it). Anyway, I am looking for someone that lives in the area or is taking a pilgrimage to WJ to send me a couple of cases. I will pay for the soda, the shipping, and extra for your troubles. West Jefferson could have sent it for about $33, so I would probably pay $40 per case.

Thanks

NRGSLLR@
08-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Try PEPSI in Memphis MO. The last time I was there they were still bottling in glass.

http://www.pepsimemphismo.com/index.php

bigrich
08-15-2006, 02:58 PM
All US Pepsi Bottles have ceased production of glass returnables. Memphis, Lewiston & Davenport have all shut down their glass lines.

doug1885
08-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Can West Jefferson ship to non-California destinations? (Do they do any direct shipping? I've gotten their product through beveragesdirect.com in the past, but they seem to not be handling them now.)

-Doug

Android
08-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Since the issue of the lawsuit is West Jefferson distributing product outside of their own franchised territory, they will likely stick strictly to their home area until it is resolved. And unfortunately I think the odds are in favor of them losing this issue.

As far as Memphis goes, they were the last Pepsi bottler for returable glass in the USA, but even so, they would not sell to the public, they were just filling for their own small circuit of captive vending machine route by then. But last fall, their bottle washing machine died for the last time, it was not worth fixing so the line was retired.

-Andy

missionmtdew
08-15-2006, 08:43 PM
West Jefferson won't ship to Utah. They said that it is too close to California. (????) The way that they said that they couldn't ship to Utah made it sound like if I was closer to North Carolina, say Ohio or Tennessee, then they would be able to ship it. I am not sure though.

Dr. Galaga
08-15-2006, 10:16 PM
They can not ship to anything outside of their territory (which I think is only a few counties big). I am sure glad that I stocked up with a few extra cases when I heard that the hammer came down.

I heard that WJ is also limiting the amount that you can buy. Does anyone know how many cases they are allowing you to buy at one time?

Dr. Galaga
08-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Here's (http://www.memphisdemocrat.com/2005/news/051006_pepsi.shtml) the article about how the Memphis plant closed. :(

01GTB
08-16-2006, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Galaga:

I heard that WJ is also limiting the amount that you can buy. Does anyone know how many cases they are allowing you to buy at one time? I'm curious about this as well. It seems like I remember reading Dublin was limiting the number to 25 cases or something at one time.

Bri1072
08-18-2006, 01:22 PM
I have been lurking in this board for a while. This topic prompted me to join. I originally found this board while trying to locate Mt Dew in a glass bottle. I wound up getting a case from W. Jefferson last year. I must say I was very disappointed. I used to drink an 8 pk of bottles a day in the late 80's. I'm not sure if I have just become accustom to the taste of Mt Dew in a can , or the formula used in the bottles is that different than what I used to drink. It almost tasted like diet. I also bought some Dr Pepper at the same time and I was not crazy about it either. Has anyone else experienced this?

Dr. Galaga
08-18-2006, 06:02 PM
I enjoy the drinks from WJ. Mt. Dew and Dr Pepper taste like how I remember as a kid (early-mid 80's). Your post reminded me of when I first tried Sun-Drop in glass. The first few bottles tasted diet to me, but the rest tasted fine. Could it be you just had a bad batch?

Android
08-18-2006, 07:05 PM
I think it also depends on how fresh the product was and how it had been stored after it was bottled. I bought a case of diet Dr Pepper produced by WJ, but it must have been "in the pipe" for a long time before the vendor I got from sold it to me. It was more than a few months old, and diets don't hold up very well. It was drinkable, but only barely. And if it wasn't stored in a cool area it could go "sour" as well.

I also bought a case of RC at that time, and while it didn't taste perfect, it was definately better than the Diet DR Pepper. It was fairly old. I drank it pretty quickly, except one bottle I gave to my brother. He didn't drink his for several months after I gave it to him, plus I don't know where he kept it, and by the time he drank it I guess it had turned pretty nasty in taste.

The one time I've travelled in that part of the country I bought several bottles of RC at a local convenience store, and those tasted awesome.

-Andy

Cheer-wined
08-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Galaga:
I heard that WJ is also limiting the amount that you can buy. Does anyone know how many cases they are allowing you to buy at one time? Yes, they are limiting your purchase to the amount of product they have in the warehouse. Depends on how big your truck is.
Seriously, I've never heard of such a thing.

01GTB
08-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Haha, I hope that is still the case :D When I was there, and pulled in the parking lot 30 minutes after they were technically closed, a nice gentleman asked if he could help me. I told him I would like to buy some WJ Dr Pepper, and wanted to know if I was at the right place. He asked if I needed just a couple of cases, or a truckload.

Cheer-wined
08-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Well, I'll see the warehouse manager on Thursday so I'll just ask him then.

doug1885
08-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Does West Jefferson DP supply sucrose-based syrup to fountains in its local area? It would be interesting to try that. (Sometimes the fountains are set a little bit stronger, which would be all to the good, IMHO)

-Doug
shoot one from the south?

Fixx
08-22-2006, 04:35 PM
For the poster that is asking for Pepsi in bottles, may I recommend your local hispanic market?

They have what is called "Mexican Pepsi" that is far superior to anything that comes out of PBG in Los Angeles. It is made with regular sugar rather than HFCS that US manufacturers make.

I have never seen Mexican Mountain Dew or other Pepsi products but Mexican Pepsi is wonderful and highly recommended.

Later

fusion
08-22-2006, 08:57 PM
I have seen 7up, Manzanita Sol, Mirinda and Kas from Mexico in the US.

Cheer-wined
08-24-2006, 09:44 PM
To address some earlier questions

There is no set limit on your purchase, but they have to be practical about how much of one brand is sold to a single customer. They run a lot of brands, some not very often, and they need to be able to fill standing orders.

Cans/PET/BIB supplied by DPWJ are HFCS. The glass bottles are the only package produced at the plant and they are typically made with cane sugar.

BTW, when the glass bottle graphics were redesigned a few months back, Diet MD got dropped and the regular MD bottles now have stick-on labels not ACL.

Also DPWJ is now distributing the Nesbitt's and NuGrape bottles made by Tri-Cities Beverage. HFCS but nice ACL bottles.

Dr. Galaga
08-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the update Cheer-wined!

doug1885
08-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Cheer-wined wrote:
> Cans/PET/BIB supplied by DPWJ are HFCS. The glass bottles are the only package produced at the plant and they are typically made with cane sugar.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that (but thanks for the info!). If I ever go by DPWJ, I guess I won't spend time trying out the fountains nearby. It's a contrast to the Dublin TX Dr Pepper bottler, which does supply cane sugar BIB (bag-in-box) to area restaurants.

-Doug
who may have to go on a leisurely tour of Dublin-area fountains at some point ;)

dahojo
08-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Nesbitt's and NuGrape bottles made by Tri-Cities Beverage is pure cane, thats what the Dr Enuf people use.

The Nesbitt's Lemonade is really good.

Cheer-wined
08-29-2006, 10:02 PM
As of last May when I visited the plant, they were using HFCS for NuGrape and Nesbitts, at least that's what the plant manager said.

fivebyfive
09-01-2006, 05:18 PM
I live near Canada. Does Canada sell Mountain Dew in a glass bottle?

Ram0n C0keah0lic
09-01-2006, 07:21 PM
In Japan now there's Mountain Dew in glass bottle (and finally they changed the logo):

http://www.suntory.co.jp/news/2006/img/9443.jpg

[ 09-01-2006, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

fivebyfive
09-01-2006, 08:52 PM
I'll have to think of an excuse to go to Japan for work :D I haven't been there in 1.5 years. You don't know of any way of ordering it from there, do you?

fusion
09-01-2006, 09:34 PM
How about.. Prince Edward Island? Don't they still have some sort of bottle recyling thing up there, and they reuse glass bottles?

doug1885
09-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Re: P.E.I., when I was up there last year, they do seem to require glass-bottling soda (it was fascinating to see larger sizes, like 2 liters, in glass!). I don't remember about Mountain Dew, unfortunately. From tasting the Dr Pepper, though, it didn't seem to be particularly sucrose-based (if anyone is interested in that factor).

BTW, isn't Canadian Mountain Dew caffeine-free?

-Doug