PDA

View Full Version : Returnable Cokes Still Produced!

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Bink's Coca-Cola in Escanaba and Iron Mountain, Michigan still produce returnable Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite and Sunkist Orange Soda in 10oz glass bottles.

I just got off the phone with the receptionist in Escanaba, so this has been confirmed. However, she said that eventually they plan on discontinuing this process due to cost and the fact that it is a "dying breed."

They also distribute wine through a separate company.

drpep
09-14-2004, 08:25 PM
The website says Dr Pepper not Sunkist.

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-14-2004, 11:55 PM
nah, i called. no dp, sunkist now.

XLS_04
09-17-2004, 12:12 AM
surprising not many replies!

Android
09-17-2004, 05:16 AM
I used to buy returnables in the Michigan UP until Pepsi gave up and shut down their line. I remember my disappointment when I went up there several years ago now and found that the returnable section in the grocery stores had shrunk by over half. (The first time I was up there, was just after the "Big Slam" 1 liters had come out, and I found that Pepsi there still had the "original" big slam, returnable quart bottles. I think they had just discontinued them, but I bought all the ones I could find.)

As for Coke, I remember that they bottled Cherry Coke up there at one point, the only time I ever have seen that flavor in returnables. But this was all in 16 ounces. I never did see these 10 ounce bottles for sale there. I wonder how they are distributed/sold - retail 6-packs or full cases at groceries and C-stores, or in captive vending machines only like Pepsi does in Memphis, Missouri, or if you can only get 'em the straight from the bottler.

andy

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-17-2004, 05:28 PM
gotta wonder. i was very surprised, as well by the lack of replies!

drpep
09-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
gotta wonder. i was very surprised, as well by the lack of replies! WOW!!!! HOLY SHEET!!! 10oz GLASS
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Is this the reply you guys wanted :D :D :D

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-19-2004, 09:10 AM
yeah. poo on you

BottleBoss
09-20-2004, 07:23 AM
I am very excited about this. I drive to the Catawissa Bottling Company to get returnable bottles but I think Michigan may be a little to far for me. I would love a place a little more local to Maryland/ West Virginia. (Harpers Ferry area.)

sodasommelier
09-20-2004, 10:59 PM
MORE POWER TO THEM!! I've got their crowns in my collection smile.gif

chrisj
09-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Do you have their phone number. I live in wisconsin and may want to take a trip.

Chris

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-21-2004, 08:20 PM
go to the website

Shatter
09-22-2004, 01:46 AM
Don't you need to have empties to bring with you to the plant? One reason i've never tried going down to Dublin, TX's Dr Pepper bottler is because I don't have any Dr Pepper or Suncrest bottles to be filled. I don't know where to get any, either.

No Soda
09-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Of course there haven't been too many replies. After all, soft drink consumers only want the "convenience" of non-refillable containers. Haven't you ever visited the CCE, NSDA and Pepsi websites? THEY know what we want. Heck, Pepsi even went so far to protect our preferences by threatening legal action against US distributors of Mexican Pepsi because it comes in a refillable bottle.

Seriously, though, it's too bad this bottler sees refillables as a dying product. Maybe if they get enough biz they can be convinced otherwise, until CCE buys them out and shuts them down. The Coke bottle pictured on the site looks pretty modern, not like the scuffed refillables I remember in New York and Pepsi at the end of the refillable era.

Dr. Galaga
09-22-2004, 10:43 PM
I still can not get their web site to work. When I click on the coke bottle it takes me to another page of the bottles!

Android
09-23-2004, 01:15 AM
That intro page doesn't seem to work but if you get around it, the website is functional. This link should work

Bink's (http://www.binksbeverages.com/drinks/carbonated.html)

then you can use the dropdown menus from there.

As for the condition of their bottles, I think that's due to their isolated region. I recall back when I was buying stuff from them back when they still did 16 ouncers, many of their bottles looked nearly new.

andy