PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back!

Romario
06-01-2003, 05:05 PM
SodaSom, I went to that local bottler a few months ago, his drinks were nasty-- his facilities were okay but his labels were poor / bottles poor, and prices unreasonable!

Anyways, That discouraged me until now.
I still have a few questions-- also congratulations to INKO! The Tea Man.

How much do those flavor companies usually charge-- anybody have any experience with a particular one?

Could anybody recommend some mid-west bottlers that can bottle custom bottles.. anybody in michigan?

How does the product go from the flavor company--*(ingredients)* to the bottler, to the distributor.

I want to run low runs-- any bottlers that do that?

What if i wanted to just make the stuff myself at home, Then I could do bottles (not cases) What equipment would i need, how would it taste? and do i need any special insurance?

That's all for now smile.gif
Thanks

Boris
06-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Welcome back. Now for you questions...I will have to say I am sorry and that I wont answer your questions. Seeing as I started my soda company without any help I think you can do the same if you really want to. But I will say just one thing...Look in the yellow Pages...

Romario
06-01-2003, 05:49 PM
You know what boris...
If you were on these boards they you didn't start your soda company without any help smile.gif

If you don't want to help, that's fine.. there are lots of people who are willing to help, The Soda King being of them.

I do wish you luck-- Lets look at my questions a little further shall we? I asked if anybody has any first-hand experience with any particular flavor companies.. I know tons that I could just telephone... Same with bottlers, distributors, etc. You don't get references from the yellow pages bud.

Seeing that you are in a different country then me and I would never pose a risk to your market.. quite frankly find it rather selfish that attitude you have taken on a community forum such as these.

Thanks smile.gif I'm glad I met my first ******* in the business early on.

[ 06-01-2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Romario ]

Romario
06-01-2003, 05:50 PM
You've been here only 2 months smile.gif

drpep
06-01-2003, 10:36 PM
Welcome back!!! Never missed you. Where did you go? Who are you?

Boris
06-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Romario:
You know what boris...
If you were on these boards they you didn't start your soda company without any help smile.gif I actually started last year around this time...I just came to promote...

If you don't want to help, that's fine.. there are lots of people who are willing to help, The Soda King being of them.Where is he?I really still dont see what you need help about...All I can tell you is that you have to be over 18 to own a business properly...

I do wish you luck-- Lets look at my questions a little further shall we? I asked if anybody has any first-hand experience with any particular flavor companies.. I know tons that I could just telephone... Same with bottlers, distributors, etc. You don't get references from the yellow pages bud.I wish you luck as well comrade...Or shall I converge on my american roots bud
Also,You meant Flavour.
"Tons", really? You dont need references. They send you free samples of whatever the hell you want. Try TFF,the guy there is from odessa Russia, Great place, I passed through there once. But I could hate something that you could enjoy, Thats the bad thing about references...One thing of advice, Dont waste your time paying a bottler for something you can do yourself.

Seeing that you are in a different country then me and I would never pose a risk to your market.. quite frankly find it rather selfish that attitude you have taken on a community forum such as these.I live (At the moment) Just south of Richmond Va, It looks like, unless you lied in your profile that you are also from America, Unless you dont consider Virginia America...I also live in quebec canada...So thus I am trying to get distributors throughout the north eastern seaboard. Hey, you have to feel honoured, I was raised communist. Its been hard for me to draw the line. Sorry if I offended you in any way...

Thanks smile.gif I'm glad I met my first ******* in the business early on.Oh if you think I am something wait to you start talking to the real competetion...

You've been here only 2 months
What the hell has that to do with anything. And didn't you say something like "If you were on these boards they you didn't start your soda company without any help" tongue.gif

Romario
06-02-2003, 03:19 PM
I thought about that, bottling it yourself.. that would eliminate a lot of my problems. I want to start small and most bottlers have minimum runs, that I can completely understand.

For somebody like me, we have different definitions of small :D

How would you begin bottling yourself at home, and what kind of insurance would you need- if any?

Boris
06-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Right now I am small, Yes. Every weekend I carbonate 3 5 gallon kegs....Giving me 15 gallons of pop which I bottle in glass bottles with some caps and a capper. 15 gallons is about 140 12ounce bottles...It takes me about two months(non-summer) to run and bottle my entire line.
You just really need a business license...You can get FDA approved if you want. But most distributors dont care as long as you have the nutrition facts or a number to call on the bottle.
Right now, I see it easier to carbonate and bottle myself...Maybe if I start getting bigger...
But the only thing about bottling for me here in Virginia is finding clear bottles. I can get amber bottles easy from my local home brew shop. But I only find those good for my Root Beer. I looked every where. Then finally I drove up the road 10 miles to The Switch's location. Have you heard of The Switch around there? Well after some lying to make them not think I was a competetion they gave me the place where they get their bottles. Success! But the bottles ended up costing about 40 cents a bottle...So I offer anyone who gives me back the bottles 20 cent for each bottle.

Romario
06-02-2003, 04:00 PM
how do you develop your drink? Once you get your ingredients.. Do you use a syrup that the flavor company provides? Do you follow a process similar to: http://www.olybrew.com/sodamaking.html

I think I spent too much time focusing on finding a real bottler and not looking at the obvious-- Bottling at home.

How do you carbonate your drinks? Yeast? Carbonated water?

You should check out this top ten flavor companies list!

http://www.leffingwell.com/top_10.htm

anyways, let me know any additional info!

T.I.A.
06-02-2003, 10:53 PM
After a rocky start, Boris and Romario's relationship blossomed into a strong partnership.

How touching...

Boris
06-03-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Romario:
how do you develop your drink? Once you get your ingredients.. Do you use a syrup that the flavor company provides? Do you follow a process similar to: http://www.olybrew.com/sodamaking.html

I think I spent too much time focusing on finding a real bottler and not looking at the obvious-- Bottling at home.

How do you carbonate your drinks? Yeast? Carbonated water?

You should check out this top ten flavor companies list!

http://www.leffingwell.com/top_10.htm

anyways, let me know any additional info!I make my own syrup. They are seceret recipes and that is one thing I cannot even hint about.

I force carbonate in Cornelius Kegs, I never liked the idea of yeast so I never used yeast.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-03-2003, 10:55 PM
wait, you were raised communist? then why are you starting your own business? hope you spread your profits out evenly...

as for the question of clear glass bottles, a brewery in pennsylvania, lion brewing, had the same problem. so they went to the store and looked at other bottles (like you did, to the switch).

next, they said, we want bottles like that, but cheaper!

michigan 10 cents!

now lion brewing buys from my beer distributor in michigan miller lite bottles which they use to contract brew many microbrews.

if you wanted switch bottles boris, find the michigan distributor of the switch (by simply going down the road, like you did before...)

:
Where is The Switch's headquarters?

We are located at 300 Turner Road, Suite C, Richmond, VA 23225.

How do I contact The Switch?

You can email us at switchinfo@switchbev.com or call us at 1-866-875-8423.

find out who it is (i think it might be pop co out of ann arbor, mi) or kehe distributors out of chicago. they should collect empties, buy em back for ten cents each and wallah, cheaper, cheaper, cheaper.

pull a kramer and rent a truck to get em back to virginia, nice n simple.

this hairy french canadian comes to us and picks up all labatt's bottles which labatt's refills.

he's disgusting he has so much hair on his body. watch out for him next time you're in quebec.