PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Dr. Pepper

The Homosexual
08-17-2006, 10:36 PM
I have some bad news for my fellow Dr. Pepper fans.

I recently visited Amsterdam with my boyfriend and I noticed Dr. Pepper was for sale in the local stores.

I took a looksee at the ingredient list and towards the end of the list was sucralose.

Yes, sucralose.

And this was regular Dr. Pepper, not the diet version.

I have a feeling we will see sucralose in Dr. Pepper in the near future in the US. It's being put into non-diet products like bread here in this country and nobody seems to be complaining, so it's only a matter of time before it ends up in our soft drinks.

DJ HawaiianShirt
08-17-2006, 10:57 PM
I dunno, that's quite a declaration.

I definitely can attest that artificial sweeteners are getting broader use. Recently I saw them in children's cereals that claimed to have less sugar.

But Dr Pepper? I can't imagine such a change without a horrendously large backlash.

iowacity
08-17-2006, 11:32 PM
That's disgusting!

Dr. Galaga
08-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by DJ HawaiianShirt:
Recently I saw them in children's cereals that claimed to have less sugar.

But Dr Pepper? I can't imagine such a change without a horrendously large backlash. They could slowly mix it in over time like they did with HFCS! :(
Or, make it half and half.

[ 08-18-2006, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Galaga ]

fizzbizz
08-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Better talk to Coke about it as they own Pepper in Europe.

Fixx
08-18-2006, 05:24 PM
I was to understand that HFCS was done because of the sugar embargo of the early 70's and originally 7Up did it because the major soda brands were afraid of the price point of soft drinks as the price of sugar went up. Therefore HFCS was invented and they actually found it cut production costs and they were able to keep the same price point. It was not a gradual shift away from cane sugar but almost instantaneous shift from cane sugar to HFCS.

I am going strictly on memory but that is why Dublin Dr Pepper is the BEST. By the way, the Pepsi Bottler in Abilene, TX <AbTex Bev.> also produces cane sugar Dr Pepper in 10oz PET bottles and a 6 pack will be on sale for $2.50 in the local market. One of my favorites when I go back that way. smile.gif

Later.

DJ HawaiianShirt
08-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Fixx, you're correct, I believe. I'm pretty sure the HFCS switch was instantaneous, not gradual.

HFCS is used both because of the sugar embargo, but more importantly because of the corn lobby in our nation's capital.

01GTB
08-18-2006, 08:11 PM
The same corporations that lobby for continued corn subsidies also lobby for the sugar quota. In other words, the price of sugar is artificially high and HFCS is artificially low. Soft drink bottlers usually don't care to spend more than they have to to sweeten their products.

It will be interesting to see how increased ethanol production will eventually affect the price of HFCS.

popologist
08-18-2006, 08:41 PM
i'm confused. isn't sucralose = splenda?

and... are you sure you didn't see "sucrose"... which is sugar?

i just can't see hfcs being replaced by splenda. something here isn't right.

golee1
08-20-2006, 05:18 PM
And isn't splenda much more expensive than both HFCS and sugar?

01GTB
08-20-2006, 06:36 PM
I couldn't tell you how much bulk sucralose costs. But being so many hundreds of times sweeter than sugar or HFCS, it's going to be cheaper, I'm sure.

I just found this too http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/news/ng.asp?id=65046 Looks like sucralose might be getting a lot cheaper.

[ 08-20-2006, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

SamC
08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
All artificial sweeteners cost way more than sugar or HFCS.

01GTB
08-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Everything I am reading says sucralose is 600 times as sweet as sugar. If that is true, one pound of pure sucralose will sweeten as much as 600 pounds of sugar. Not packaged Splenda, but pure sucralose. Now the question is, what would be the wholesale cost of sucralose? If HFCS prices go up due to ethanol demands, when does is become a better value for soft drink companies?

Android
08-21-2006, 04:08 AM
If HFCS went way up in price, I'd much rather them turn back to cane sugar than articial sweeteners!

mjb1124
08-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Maybe Dr Pepper is a "mid-calorie" drink in Amsterdam. That was the case for Sprite in Hungary (it contained aspartame and ace-K, as well as sugar).

01GTB
08-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Android:
If HFCS went way up in price, I'd much rather them turn back to cane sugar than articial sweeteners! No doubt. But since sugar prices seem to be artificially tied to HFCS prices because of lobbying efforts, I'm sure sugar will always remain just a little higher. Of course, they say cane sugar makes for a better source of ethanol too.

Mr Nethead
08-26-2006, 03:32 PM
I've noticed that Nestea Lemon Iced Tea mix has sucralose listed on the ingredients. This is the powdered mix which also contains sugar. I'm pretty sure the main reason for doing it was to lower the calories in the drink. This is not a diet beverage though, and it doesn't even have a Splenda label on it.

If the soda companies ever did start adding sucralose to their non-diet sodas, it would probably be to lower the calories. (There sure is a lot of talk about all the calories in soda these days.)

Mr Zabe
08-26-2006, 04:48 PM
I used to enjoy Nestea Lemon Ice Tea Mix and Limpton Ice Tea Mix back in the early 1990's.
I tried a few Ice Tea mixes last summer and they were pretty nasty (regular).

I do not recall what the labels said,if they contained aspartame that might be why they tasted nasty to me???

doug1885
09-16-2006, 07:08 PM
I see at pepperme.com that the European Dr Pepper now has about 2/3 of the calories of the American non-diet formulation. The ingredients list shows sucrose, E950 [Acesulfame K], and E955 [Sucralose].

How does the taste compare with HFCS or the various all-sucrose (cane or beet) versions?

-Doug

Android
09-17-2006, 01:42 AM
I checked out that pepperme site, kinda cool. Also kind of sneaky how they cover up the sweetener info soon after it appears on the screen. Yeah, 2/3 is about right. At the levels the nutrition facts labels states, it would have 103 calories in a 12 ounce can.

I would guess the taste would be decent, Dr Pepper has a very distinctive taste that seems to defy artificial sweeteners (it the first diet soda I ever had that didn't taste die to me)

Here's what that label says:
-Andy

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/pepperlabel.jpg