PDA

View Full Version : Passover Coke 2006

Pages : 1 [2]

Lepke
04-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Zap .. Good going. Make sure the store manager knows gentiles are hunting down KP soda and why. Maybe next year they will order more of it.

This Be’er Mayim half and half soda is the BOMB as the kids say. It is good stuff. I found some at a Jewish food coop in Lakewood NJ for$1.19 a bottle in flavors they didn’t have at shoprite @$1.99 a bottle. They also had ample supplies of coke and Pepsi and sprite KP at $1.29 2 liter. No cans.

Synchronicitysix
04-11-2006, 12:49 AM
I feel priveleged that I was able to find this the other day. Only saw coke 2 liters, no cans in the boston area. I remember getting coke with the yellow cap before but not knowing what it was. Now I can definitley taste a difference. The Kosher Coke has less bubbles and also is much smoother, no crappy aftertase, nice and sweet. I wish that coke would go back to this formula and drop the HFCS

Lepke
04-12-2006, 10:09 PM
http://kosher4passover.com/vintage/Pepsi-1941.jpg

http://kosher4passover.com/vintage/pepsicap.jpg

http://kosher4passover.com/vintage/drpeppercarton.jpg

http://images.goantiques.com/thumbnails/IZF7283/IZF7283B333_Home_560.jpg

[ 04-12-2006, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Days before Passover, Passover Coke has finally hit downtown DC in 2liter bottles.

Lepke
04-13-2006, 11:37 PM
I just got back from a sader where I had some KP coke. I like my Pepsi better.
My friend told me I should buy some of the coke 6 packs at $3.39 and see if I can sell em on eBay for $10.00 each.
Does anyone think people are stupid enough to pay $10.00 for a six-pack plus shipping?

NoVA Alex
04-14-2006, 12:43 PM
^ never know until you try. The shipping would be $$$ but if someone's desperate enough...

The supply of KP Coke is drying up here. Have 6-7 2L bottles though so I'll survive for a while.

Lepke
04-14-2006, 10:57 PM
A friend of mine insists there is no difference in taste between sugar and corn syrup. He claims he understands why Jews would look for it at Passover but he says it’s bizarre that Jews eat crackers because their invisible friend in the sky says too.
He says he will not go out of his way to get KP soda and thinks it’s ridiculous that any non-Jew would bother to seek out this product. He says that on some kind of principle he won’t have it in the house.

I think that’s a little odd. Hell if his wife brings it home he should just drink it. Even if he can’t tell the difference.

Mr Zabe
04-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Sounds like this guy could use some Pop Therapy. LOL
Cane Sugar soda pop rocks!!!!

[ 04-14-2006, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
04-14-2006, 11:09 PM
I think he is just anti religion and any thing religious he frowns upon.

Mr Zabe
04-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Heck if the Church of the Blessed Pygmy Chimps had weekly cane sugar soda pop tasting sessions....I would convert in a NY second. LOL

01GTB
04-15-2006, 12:12 AM
LOL :D

rustyjo
04-15-2006, 10:27 AM
---"Heck if the Church of the Blessed Pygmy Chimps had weekly cane sugar soda pop tasting sessions....I would convert in a NY second. LOL"---

Sign me up too! :D

Lepke
04-15-2006, 10:57 AM
My synagogue makes sure to stock up on KP coke and Pepsi for me. Believe it or not.
After services there is always what we call an oneg a snack time for the congregation.
Well the woman in charge of buying the cookies. Cake, coffee, tea and soda. Know that I’m a freak about the KP soda so they buy tons of it and always remind me they got it for me.
So I have no need to join your pigmy chimp cult.

One day those pigmy chimps may pull a Jim Jones on you. Who knows you may be forced to drink Jones soda. And no one wants that.

Mr Zabe
04-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Lepke,
If I had the same treatment with my childhood congregation, I would have become a Rabbi. LOL

You sure do have a nice oneg situation going. smile.gif

Lepke
04-15-2006, 11:30 AM
It’s a very small and friendly synagogue. My childhood experience was far from friendly. For one thing it was orthodox and my family was secular. I went to yeshiva as a kid and believe me that turned me off to Judaism.
But now I’m an adult living in the burbs and the synagogue is conservative not orthodox. And again it’s very small. Small is nice. It can be hard to get a mynion every night being so small but we do get it most nights.
And the first Friday of the month is tot Shabbat. A shortened service geared to children of any age. The rabbi is a very nice guy. He has his leg in a cast after a skiing accident in Utah. I told him that’s what he gets for cavorting with Mormons.

But it is nice that they keep cases of KP coke and Pepsi on hand just for me.
It’s for every one but they buy cases at Passover to make sure they have it for me.

Mr Zabe
04-15-2006, 11:49 AM
You are a lucky man to have a congregation and a Rabbi that involve children like that. Very special indeed. smile.gif

Lepke
04-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Zabe my friend,
I’m sure if you went synagogue shopping you would find a nice little shul also.

Mr Zabe
04-15-2006, 11:56 AM
I agree.
There are a good number of shuls in my area.
It's some thing to think about. smile.gif
I would want a Pepsi shul if possible.(Joke)

I think becoming apart of a community would be very nice. smile.gif

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Lepke:

Does anyone think people are stupid enough to pay $10.00 for a six-pack plus shipping? Yes.

Also, I think I detect a slight earthiness in the flavor of Passover Coke. Otherwise, there's very little taste difference between that and normal Coke.

Mr Zabe
04-15-2006, 10:20 PM
IMO...I can easily tell the diffence between the two. KFP Coke is super smooth.

Lepke
04-15-2006, 11:21 PM
DJ HawaiianShirt,

I just have to say, nice new shirt. It fits you well.

Looks good on you.

[ 04-15-2006, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Why thank you!

I made this icon months ago to put on the top of my Start bar.

So I thought "What the heck" and slapped it on BevBoard.

I also made a great signature picture for "DJ HawaiianShirt" that I use on other boards, but BevNET doesn't allow pictures to be in signatures anymore. Those who still have pics in their sigs still have them because it's not a retroactive rule.

Click on my profile to see the sig I'm talking about. Call it shameless self-promotion.

Lepke
04-16-2006, 02:13 PM
It’s shameless self-promotion… not really.

So did you get to stock up on KP soda?

And how does everyone like my new avatar? I never used one before but came across this and thought it was cool. It’s a little hard to read but it is Pepsi in Hebrew.

[ 04-16-2006, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-16-2006, 02:31 PM
As a foreign language enthusiast, I very much like your Hebrew Pepsi cap.

I bought 4 2liters of Passover Coke. The only reason I didn't buy more is because I can't drink 2 liters fast enough to prevent them from going flat.

Mr Zabe
04-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Lepke,
I noticed your avatar a few day ago. I kept meaning to tell you I really like it.

[ 04-16-2006, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
04-16-2006, 05:58 PM
My wife just called from the supermarket to ask if I wanted more KP Pepsi. It’s on sale for 79¢ for a 2 liter. I didn’t say it to her but I was thinking what a stupid question.
So I got 6 more bottles coming.

LordJezo
04-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Question!

I have read this thread and now have some questions about what I bought..

1) I bought a 2L bottle of Coke with the yellow cap and the Hebrew letters on it, and the KP. The list of ingredients say sucrose. When I compare it to normal Coke I see that the normal has the corn syrup on it. Did I get the right Kosher coke? Is this the same as coke used to be back in the day? Didn't it used to use plain old sugar and list that on the bottle instead of sucrose?

2) I also got a bottle of Pepsi that had the KP marked on the top. Nothing else though indicates Kosher. The ingredients of the Pepsi lists both sugar and/or corn syrup. Is this stuff any different than normal Pepsi?

[ 04-17-2006, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: LordJezo ]

Lepke
04-17-2006, 07:12 PM
You got the right stuff my friend. And sucrose is sugar. You are good to go. Now chill drink and enjoy.

Hollow Man
04-17-2006, 07:13 PM
The Coke you got is the right thing. Sucrose is "plain old sugar". Sucrose is what's extracted from the sugar cane when it's refined via an enzymatic process.

-HM

Mr Zabe
04-17-2006, 07:19 PM
LordJezo,
You are now part of the elite 2006 KFP cola club.
In honor of your first taste of the Holy Cola you can pour us a tall glass of the Unleavened Suds in a gesture of board fellowship.LOL

Hollow Man
04-17-2006, 07:21 PM
BTW, it went on sale here. 99 cents a 2 liter instead of $1.50.

-HM

Lepke
04-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:

Unleavened Suds You’re killing me here. I can’t stop laughing. “Unleavened suds “ that is just too funny.

And Hollow I got ya beat the KP Pepsi is only 79¢

Hollow Man
04-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh believe me, I wasn't saying 99 cents was at all cheap. But it's pretty good considering the neighborhood the supermarket's in, heh.

-HM

Lepke
04-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Every thing is expensive up where you live. It would be cheaper to buy one of the Arab emirates then fill up your car with gas up there.

Hollow Man
04-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Don't remind me. You guys pay less for gas and don't even have to pump it yourselves!

-HM

Lepke
04-17-2006, 08:00 PM
But here is the question? How will I ever be able to go back to HFCS after drinking nothing but KP all this time?

Hollow Man
04-17-2006, 08:06 PM
You can't. You're screwed.

Fortunately my favorite, Sunkist, is way too expensive to get with sugar all the time, so I'll suck it up. But if I liked Pepsi or Coke, I'd just stockpile a ton of it. If kept cool, dark, and dry, you'll have no problem making 2 liters last 9-10 months.

-HM

Mr Zabe
04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Good point Lepke,
KFP Pepsi has set the new bench mark for it's great taste. You may need to check into a 30 day KFP deprogramming clinic. LOL

[ 04-17-2006, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
04-17-2006, 08:15 PM
I think Betty Ford.

LordJezo
04-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Pretty cool.. I'll be sending my guy to get more bottles tonight from his local supermarket. Hopefully there will be a lot left, there was on Sunday when he found it but wasn't sure if it was the real thing.

I could taste a slight difference when I had it last night and taste tested it to the corn syrup stuff. It had a much more 'real' flavor to it. That's the only way I could describe it but it seems to get the point across good.

So how about that KP Pepsi stuff? Is there anything different about that?

Lepke
04-18-2006, 09:34 AM
Last night I had no cold KP Pepsi in the fridge so I grabbed a can of the regular stuff. After 3 weeks of drinking only KP I found I could not finish the regular stuff. There really is a difference.
The KP stuff just goes down so much easier.

Hollow Man
04-18-2006, 10:25 AM
LordJezo,

I agree, and would state that I believe the HFCS covers up the "cola-ness" of Coke more. You get more actual cola flavor with sugar as the sweetener.

-HM

Mr Zabe
04-18-2006, 10:46 AM
I just put my last 10 cans of KFP Coke on safety emergency alert. I will only drink them on a as needed basis or during the next rough electrical storm. LOL Man KFP soda pop season is the best!

Lepke
04-18-2006, 10:49 AM
My wife wont let me buy the cans, as they are $3,39 for a 6pack

Mr Zabe
04-18-2006, 10:55 AM
You would think that if you can find some cans after the holiday that the price will have been lowered. Man you would be a happy KFP soda pop shopper in the Chicago Land area. The high price for 6pk was at $2.29 each.

[ 04-18-2006, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

01GTB
04-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Score! :D

I was in a local Publix (northwest of Orlando) tonight buying a few things and decided to go down the soft drink aisle. I remembered that my mom mentioned that they had a special on three 12-pack cans of Coke products for $8. And on the shelf are coupons that give you two free 2-liters when you purchase the three 12-packs.

I didn't have shopping cart, and almost didn't go back to the front to get one. The whole time I had never even spotted the KFP Coke. I was going to get three 12's of Coke Cherry and Coke Cherry 2-liters. As I pick up my cans I just glance up and see the yellow caps :eek: This can't be! I had checked this store, other Publix and every other store around numerous times. Yet there they are, 12 yellow-capped bottles mixed right in with the HFCS stuff.

Anyone who has lucked out and found this elusive stuff know the exact feeling that came over me at that moment :D Anyone who hasn't, it kind of is like seeing a bill laying on the ground and as you pick it up, you discover it is a $20 bill. No, a $50 bill ;) I didn't clear them out. I took six of them, there were still six left. But I can guarantee I will be back at other area Publix tomorrow tongue.gif

Mr Zabe
04-18-2006, 09:50 PM
It's about time. smile.gif
Outstanding story. I await to hear your review.
Enjoy!!!!

01GTB
04-18-2006, 10:00 PM
I'll give it a 16-hour chilling and sample some tomorrow smile.gif

I still can't believe I found it. A friend of mine is headed to the Miami area this weekend and said he would take a look. Honestly, I don't expect him to find it. Whether from lack of looking or whatever. But I never, never expected to find it so far from Miami. Wow! I still feel giddy :D

Mr Zabe
04-18-2006, 10:04 PM
My guess is that it will be all over Florida.
Many senior citizens live around (maybe not near
the tourist stuff) Orlando that are Jewish. I bet the market for Kosher food products is pretty good. Just my two cents. OMG...Did I not say that the Orlando area would have it and you guys sort of laughed at me.LOL I just remembered I posted that about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Baby, I still have game. :D

[ 04-18-2006, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

01GTB
04-18-2006, 11:05 PM
from March 16th smile.gif

My guess is that it will be all over Florida.
Many senior citizens live around (maybe not near
the tourist stuff) Orlando that are Jewish. I bet the market for Kosher food products is pretty good. Just my two cents.

[ 04-18-2006, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

Doug
04-18-2006, 11:12 PM
I actually looked at about 10-15 different places for it, with no luck before someone on here answered my call and I made the 20 min drive to get it...delicious stuff, I stocked up with about 20 2L

Lepke
04-18-2006, 11:28 PM
01GTB Good deal. You got the “unleavened suds” as Zabe calls it. At this point in the Passover holiday the soda companies are just shipping the KP stuff out with everything else. So you will find it mixed with the regular stuff in places you wouldn’t think would carry KP soda. Some of it may even be sent to c-stores. They are not keeping it separate anymore.

As a good Jew I just had some matzos with butter and my favorite “unleavened suds” in honor of the holiday.

Humm…. maybe I should have some Gefilte fish with my unleavened suds?

Mr Zabe
04-19-2006, 01:41 AM
Gefilte fish with white horseradish......
My Grandma use to make homemade Gefilte fish that was truly the 8th wonder of the world. I used to get a few bottles of KFP soda pop and just loose myself in a plate of Gelfilte fish.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-19-2006, 03:12 AM
the place near me that has EVERYTHING (woodmans) never got this... :( it sadens me... maybe next year i will have to take a day trip to chicago...

Mr Zabe
04-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Are you referring to the Gelfite Fish or the KFP soda pop? LOL

01GTB
04-20-2006, 03:00 AM
Alright, here is my take on it. I am not a big Coca-Cola drinker by any stretch of the imagination. So take this with a grain of...sugar :D

I cracked open my first two-liter yesterday afternoon and poured it over ice in a plastic cup. I think I was looking for something that was not there. Tonight I cooled it down a little more and poured it in a frosted glass without ice. Much to my surprise, it was not all that different from the way it tasted over ice in the Solo cup.

It was sweet, but not heavy. And that is pretty much what I enjoy about drinks sweetened with cane sugar. I always thought cane sugar left no aftertaste, but clearly it does. Cane sugar does not leave a nasty aftertaste, to me anyway, like HFCS does though. But it does leave something. KFP Coke does not seem to leave any aftertaste. It is smooth, but has plenty of spark. It has a nice fluffy caramel-colored foam to it, but seems lighter on fizz. If that makes any sense. It certainly is not down on taste. If anything it has a stronger Coca-Cola taste that is not masked by strange sweetener. It just does not linger.

I thoroughly enjoyed the thrill of the hunt for this stuff and will enjoy the rest of the two-liters smile.gif Do I like it better than Mexican Coca-Cola? Probably not. It probably is not fair to compare a glass bottle of cane sugar Coke to anything in PET. But it is a good soft drink that made a person who doesn't really drink Coca-Cola buy a few bottles, and then go back for more. But to any hard-core Coke drinker who says there is no difference between KFP and standard issue, I think you may be insane :D

[ 04-20-2006, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

LordJezo
04-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Here is my review. (http://www.78west.com/wordpress/?p=57)
Has some pictures, too.

Guy got me 4 more bottles of the stuff from his store. He said there were lots more. North Brunswick, NJ at the Shop Rite if anyone is interested.

Lepke
04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by LordJezo:
Don’t ‘Passover’ This One.. lol. Very finny title and very nice writing.
My wife works two minutes from that shoprite she said when coke 2 liter bottles are on sale if they don’t have any KP at the shoprite down here she will get me some up there. Same for Pepsi. But she still wont let me get more then 6 or 8 at a time. I just need to find an excuse to make more trips to the supermarket.

Well now that Passover has passed over it should be interesting to see how many places that did not have any KP before or during Passover will have it now. And as the weeks go by I think there will be rare sightings all over the place.
I know I’ll be able to get KP Coke for at least another month at the kosher markets in Lakewood but I’ll have to pay full price as these guys are little and the soda giants don’t run the sales with them.

As LordJezo says in his very articulate article “After having a few glasses of the Kosher version I didn’t want to go back to corn syrup.”

Every year the two soda giants come out with KP versions just so as not to lose the very tiny Jewish business. Jews are only 2% of the population of the United States and even a smaller percentage keep kosher for Passover. From what I’ve been reading all over the web people who may no be Jewish and rarely drink cola products are drinking and enjoying the KP versions. It may behoove Coke and Pepsi to bring back real sugar as the increased sales may exceed the 2% of the population whose business they seek to retain at Passover.

PSOmasterX77
04-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Doesn't taste that different to me

Mr Zabe
04-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Ok try this.
Try eating a salty snack. Pretzels,chips,peanuts what ever. Try the KFP Coke/Pepsi after you have some salt in your mouth. You may be surprised at how smooth and "clean" the sweetness tastes from that of the HFCS varierty.

This unscientific method helps me evaluate new soda pops.

Lepke
04-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Zabe, not every one can taste the difference. I told you about my friend.
If every one were like us then Coke and Pepsi would use sugar all the time.

Mr Zabe
04-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah that's true but when I hear about a fellow soda pop freak board mate suffering with KFP soda pop impedance,my heart goes out to them. LOL

[ 04-20-2006, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

PSOmasterX77
04-20-2006, 11:47 PM
To be fair though, I haven't had normal coke in a while. Maybe I'll pick up an HFCS bottle tomorrow and compare.

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-21-2006, 12:16 AM
GTB, I just want to point out that Passover Coke isn't sweetened with cane sugar, it's sweetened with sucrose, which, for our purposes, is essentially table sugar.

Cane sugar definitely has its own taste to it, which is probably why you find that Passover Coke tastes different than Mexican Coke.

If you already knew about the sucrose, I beg your apologies.

PSOmasterX77
04-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by DJ HawaiianShirt:
GTB, I just want to point out that Passover Coke isn't sweetened with cane sugar, it's sweetened with sucrose, which, for our purposes, is essentially table sugar.

Cane sugar definitely has its own taste to it, which is probably why you find that Passover Coke tastes different than Mexican Coke.

If you already knew about the sucrose, I beg your apologies. Someone mentioned it, but it still helped me in realizing that I still need to go pick up Mexican Coke sometime. Thanks.

Lepke
04-21-2006, 12:44 AM

If you already knew about the sucrose, I beg your apologies. My bag of sugar says pure cane sugar.

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-21-2006, 01:02 AM
It's my understanding that "table sugar"(the white stuff we buy for baking and whatnot) is a more refined version of the "cane sugar" that is used in sweetening certain soft drinks. But it's certainly true that they both come from the sugar cane plant.

I believe this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_sugar) supports this statement, though I could be wrong. The "impurities", as the article states, that are removed during the refining process, I'm guessing, are what makes cane sugar beverages have a more earthy aftertaste, if you've ever tried one.

It's really disheartening to discover all the intense chemical refinement that something as simple as table sugar can undergo.

01GTB
04-21-2006, 01:41 AM

If you already knew about the sucrose, I beg your apologies. Ha :D No need to beg for apologies. I certainly am no expert. If I understand it correctly though, cane sugar can be defined as sucrose. But sucrose does not necessarily have to be derived from sugarcane. Right when I drank KFP Coke I noticed no aftertaste. After drinking KFP Coke, I noticed that Mexican Coke (presumably made from cane sugar) does have an aftertaste, but not one like HFCS.

Zap
04-21-2006, 03:35 AM
Your bags of table sugar may or may not be pure cane sugar. I am only aware of three brands that claim to be "Pure Cane Sugar": C&H, Imperial, and Domino. C&H's bags and website are a good resource, because it discusses that there are not any fillers (including beet sugar) in any of its products. People that are serious about baking (gourmet restaurants or even picky home bakers) insist on only pure cane sugar because it make for a better end product. C&H also makes a superb product called Baker's Sugar, which has a smaller grain, and gives a more delicate texture in baked goods. Some stores do explicitly label their products as beet sugar as well, so it is out there, too.

On a KFP note, there was still product (6-packs) at the Jewel-Osco on Sunday, as my family was returning and picked me up some more while getting an I-Pass! I was stunned at how many places here in Columbus got it right before Passover in 2L form. I think almost all the Giant Eagle stores had it!

Finally, Rob, I was curious since you have mentioned Woodman's, where are they and what do they stock? I will need a place to get good soda once I move to Milwaukee smile.gif

[ 04-21-2006, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Zap ]

Mr Zabe
04-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Zap,
I'm not quiet the Woodman's shopper as Rob is as he goes there several times if not more a week. I go there on average several times a month. IMO..Woodman's soda pop section is way larger and has way more variety than any other large/mega grocery store I have ever been to or merchandised in with P&G.

I'm sure Rob can give you more details. All I can say is that the end cap weekly hot sale prices are usally outstanding. I brought 500ml 6pk of Dr Pepper last month for $2 which was a full $1 cheaper than what I would pay for it on sale here in my local grocery store.

The other thing is they have a very nice glass section of local and regional brands.

[ 04-21-2006, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-21-2006, 09:43 AM
GTB, you're right.

I believe the sucrose in Passover Coke is beet sugar.

Someone on the board pointed this out about a month ago, but I'm too lazy to look for their post. :( It might even be in this thread!

Mr Zabe
04-21-2006, 09:48 AM
IMO....Beat surgar or cane sugar; either one of them sure tastes beter than HFCS. :D

01GTB
04-21-2006, 04:10 PM
IMO....Beat surgar or cane sugar; either one of them sure tastes beter than HFCS. :D +1

That is exactly what I was going to say.

Hollow Man
04-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Someone pointed it out in this thread, but I don't necessarily believe it. Conjecture with no proof whatsoever. All they said was (effectively) sucrose = beets, which is just plain wrong.

Fact is that sucrose is what's extracted during the refining process, so it could be from beets or cane. You'd have to get the word from Coke, but I bet they won't be willing to tell you which one their sucrose comes from.

-HM

drpep
04-21-2006, 08:26 PM
A friend of mine insists there is no difference in taste between sugar and corn syrup. Coke says the same thing about American Coke with corn syrup and Mexican Coke with real sugar.

popologist
04-22-2006, 12:32 PM
is passover coke sold during hannukah too? or is it just for passover?

b/c, if so... maybe coke could just come out with "holiday coke"... sold during the christmas season... and also passover. smile.gif

Lepke
04-22-2006, 12:45 PM
At Passover time Jews are religiously prohibited from eating certain foods that are permitted the rest of the year. One of these foods is corn used to make corn syrup.
While kosher for Passover foods are kosher all the time not all kosher foods are kosher at Passover.

The real sugar product is a Passover season item only.

popologist
04-23-2006, 08:17 AM
aw. :(

At Passover time Jews are religiously prohibited from eating certain foods that are permitted the rest of the year. One of these foods is corn used to make corn syrup.
While kosher for Passover foods are kosher all the time not all kosher foods are kosher at Passover.

The real sugar product is a Passover season item only.

01GTB
04-23-2006, 04:08 PM
A friend of mine is out of town this weekend and he wanted me to go by their house and let the dog out. (Yes, you now know who let the dogs out :D ) Anyway, his wife is the a Coca-Cola fiend. I was really thirsty and saw a few cans of Coke in there and decided to give it a taste.

I rinsed my ice and poured the cold Coke Classic over it. This isn't anywhere close to KFP Coke! Not even remotely! I know some of you think we are exaggerating. I'm not. I don't even like standard issue Coke, and now it is very clear why. I went in with high expectations of KFP Coke and a lot of times when you do that you walk away disappointed. Look, it would be a heck of a lot easier for me not to like it. You can hardly even find it around here. I found a few bottles in one store. And then it only comes around once a year. Being that it is Coca-Cola, I would have been the first to pick it apart if it had not been "all that."

Mr Zabe
04-23-2006, 04:19 PM
This will sound goofy but by now most of you now I'm goofy. LOL I so enjoy KFP Coke that I can't drink but one can and not everyday. I mean that I'm satisfied with an occasional can and any more IMO would be too much for me to process mentally.

It's like breaking out the good wine or scotch for special occasions. Now am I a goof ball or what? (No need for an answer. tongue.gif )

[ 04-23-2006, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hollow Man
04-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I drink the Sunkist with sugar I bought only every so often. I still enjoy the HFCS version too - I just consider it a different product.

-HM

popologist
04-23-2006, 08:54 PM
is sugar so expensive that coke will compromise its flagship product with an inferior ingredient?!?

apparently so.

but, then, maybe that's why HFCS sodas have been sliding in market share for 20 years too.

01GTB
04-23-2006, 09:55 PM
I'd like to let everyone know that I scored five more two-liters today at another Publix tongue.gif These were in the wine section. Those yellow caps are easy to spot at long distances ;) There were also three or four KFP Diet Cokes there.

So you Florida folks, look. They are out there, still.

Lepke
04-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Screw the diet stuff. No sugar anyway.

Synchronicitysix
04-24-2006, 12:50 AM
I agree with everyone here who says that KFP Coke is so much better than HFCS coke. Its like night and day and i'm so glad my area had some. Albeit only one store in an ultra jewish community but the stuff is amazing. Very smooth, no awful aftertaste, just pure coke goodness.

I was glad today to find a few more 2 liters hanging around and marked down 4/5 at my local albertsons.

buzzcut
04-25-2006, 07:22 PM
I didn't read this whole thread, but am I the only one who was disappointed with KFP Coke? Don't get me wrong - it is much better than HFCS Coke, but the taste was a bit off.

Maybe it was too sweet, or it was made with beet sugar like someone else said on here. I just didn't get that feeling that I got when I drank a Canadian coke with cane sugar in it - that "oh yeah.. that's what Coke is supposed to taste like, and what it tasted like when I was a kid" feeling.

Too bad all the Mexican coke now says "HFCS and/or sugar".

Zap
04-25-2006, 08:51 PM
AFAIK, the Mexican Coke label is just a generic label, but I have never found one yet that isn't made with sugar. Canada's soda is also produced with HFCS, to the best of my knowledge, but the labels don't have the same nomenclature.

I snagged another 2L recently (I should really take a picture of the new stash of KP/Sugar soda...) and it was just with the regular Cokes at this point. I think it would be fun to make labels for next year that say "Original REAL SUGAR formula" and stick them on the KP Cokes that I find tossed in with regular stock. I'm sure it would make someone's day rather than just being bought and consumed by someone without a clue of what they actually found!

[ 04-25-2006, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Zap ]

Lepke
04-25-2006, 10:20 PM
My wife stopped at the Shop N Bag in Farmingdale NJ to pick up some shallots and mushrooms so I could make her a chicken Marsala for dinner.

And low and behold what did she find? The entire Pepsi shelf filled with 2-liter KP Pepsi 5 deep. She said only four bottles were regular Pepsi with blue caps. She checked the caps to make sure it was KP and not just K and found it was KP as far as the eye could see.
I am not a Coke drinker so she didn’t notice if any of the Coke was KP.

Anyway she got me two bottles and said I could go back this week for more. They are on sale for 99¢

I knew that the supply would not end with Passover.

Good hunting to the rest of you folks.

01GTB
04-25-2006, 11:52 PM
What cap is on the KP Pepsi?

Lepke
04-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Just a white cap with KP smack in the middle. Sometimes you will see a white cap with just a K so make sure it’s KP not K. all the K I have seen lately has had blue caps.

But remember KP not K.

Zap
04-26-2006, 02:41 AM
Here's the snapshot : All Cane, All the Time!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/CarillonAmericana/AllCaneAlltheTime.jpg

The KP Pepsi from Chicago has the cRc triangle logo with P-06 beneath it on the cap, but the cap is the SAME blue as the regular ones. Is the KP Pepsi on your end only labeled Sugar, or does it still have the and/or label? These still say and/or on them.

The other day I had two Cokes at my girlfriend's family get together. Needless to say, some of her family are now in the know and understand the craziness. :D

I actually have yet to try the Pepsi, as only one of the 2L will fit in my mini fridge, and I only open bottles when I know that most of it won't be consumed flat.

I have some of the 10oz glass bottles that I've tried to refill, but it seems like even they go flat soon. Is this just how it works, or should I be doing something differently to retain the fizz longer?

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-26-2006, 02:48 AM
Wow... no doubt you have Passover sodas for all the year! :D

Is the glass bottle Coke I see in the pic a mexican Coke?

Zap
04-26-2006, 04:21 AM
The stuff in glass is just the standard issue, but the rest is all KP. I actually don't have any Mexican Cokes at the moment, the few there are the Dutch variety. They are smaller, and taste a bit different than any other Coke I have had. As they say, it's probably in the water!

I do have a Mexican Sprite, 7up, and Squirt still left though!

[ 04-26-2006, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Zap ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-26-2006, 04:28 AM
Enjoy them buddy! smile.gif

Lepke
04-26-2006, 09:43 AM
The Chicago rabbinical council (CRC) seems to have kosher products produced in your area locked up. I think most kosher products in the United States are orthodox union (an O with a U inside). I was reading on the Pepsi website that they use some rabbi in Brooklyn for kosher certification. I went to a screen where you ask questions and asked this is what I got.

"Pepsi-Cola Company concentrate certified Kosher or Kosher for Passover, is produced under the supervision of Rabbi Zevulun Charlop, of Brooklyn, NY. Individual bottling plants must obtain local certification before their finished products can bear the Kosher or Kosher for Passover symbols, K or KP."

The labels here also have not changed and still say “and/or”. The only difference is the cap.

Once you open a 2-liter there is little you can do to keep the fizz. Make sure you close it tightly and don’t let the bottle shake or move around much. Don’t store it in the door and keep it cold. Never open a warm bottle. But you are just going to have to drink it fast.

Hollow Man
04-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Once again for everyone's pleasure, here's my article on the things you can do to help preserve those 2 liters longer:

Linky! (http://www.vaultkicks.org/vkb/?p=69)

-HM

Mr Zabe
04-26-2006, 10:35 AM
My two cents.
Like Lepke said, NEVER open a 2ltr bottle that is warm. Only open the bottle with it is at it's peak coldness.

Adjust the shelves in the fridge so that the 2 ltr bottles can stand right near( not against) the cooling vent. Most modern refrigerators have a vent located in the back. Usually there are a freezer and refrigerator adjustable controls along with the vent. This is the coldest part of the refrigerator.

Also adjust the freezer and refrigerator setting to the highest they can go. The trick is to not freeze water or milk but to keep the fridge ice cold. It will take a day or two to figure out the right settings. Try look at your service manual or go on line to find it.

I twist the 2 ltr top very hard to the second stop. I feel a very tight cap keeps the gas strong. I always put the cap on while I'm drinking it. Believe it or not with a super cold refrigerator and a tight cap I can get 5 to 6 days of carbonation from an opened 2 ltr bottle of soda pop.

[ 04-26-2006, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hollow Man
04-26-2006, 10:38 AM
The average person will really only start to notice the drop in carbonation once the bottle is half empty. That would be the time to transfer the contents to a smaller bottle.

-HM

Zap
04-28-2006, 02:52 AM
FWIW, There is still Passover Coke available. Anyone in Columbus, Ohio - There are 20 2L bottles at the Giant Eagle in Dublin. Enjoy smile.gif

Lepke
04-30-2006, 12:30 PM
I went back to that shop n bag supermarket to try to score some of the good stuff. They had 3 bottles of 2-liter Pepsi left and it was priced at $1.59 so I passed on it.

So I drove over to the shoprite in Lakewood just to see if they had any left and they did.
They had about 30 bottles of 2-liter Pepsi and no coke. They did have eight 6-packs KP coke cans but at $3.39 each I passed.

The Pepsi was 98¢ a bottle so I got 12.

Looks like the supply of unleavened suds is waning.

Mr Zabe
04-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Lepke,
Your nectar is starting to evaporate. :(
Good find and the price was right. I know you really wanted to grab all 30 of those 2 ltrs. LOL
Your wifey would have sent you to the couch to sleep for a week. smile.gif
Zabe

Lepke
05-05-2006, 12:47 AM
I went back to shop rite today and the KP Pepsi was all gone.
All over till next year.
They did have one 6 pack of KP Coke with one can removed on the shelf. Maybe I should have asked the manager o cut me a deal on the 5 cans.

I think I’ll still be able to get some KP stuff at the kosher grocery stores. But they don’t get the deals the big guys get so I will have to pay full price.

I’m sure they will have KP because the soda companies have high minimum orders and these guys don’t sell that much Coke and Pepsi.
Most of their customers will hold off on buying soda because it’s full price. They will buy one or 2 to tide them over till they can get to a big supermarket and buy it on sale.

Today I had a dinette set delivered and my wife offered the guy a drink.
She then poured him an entire glass of my private stock with no ice.
We have tons of soda in the house as we are having a party this weekend. You name it we have it. And she gave away my precious.

Zap
05-06-2006, 10:09 PM
I was just at the Dublin Giant Eagle again. Apparently they still have some of the KP Coke (14 bottles!) They haven't placed the stock in with the regular shelf, so I suppose that is why.

Lepke
05-19-2006, 12:36 AM
Stopped into a kosher market today. And guess what? They had lots of KP Coke.
I only picked up one bottle because it was full price $1.49. Little markets just don’t get the deals the big chain supermarkets get.
If this store has it I know others still have some. I think I’ll make the rounds on Sunday just to see who has what.

Lepke
06-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Stopped into Shloimy’s kosher market today and low and behold, kosher for Passover Coke. It was $1.49 per 2-liter. I picked up 3. My wife is livid she says it’s 69¢ at the A&P but here it is the middle of June and I can still get the unleavened suds.

I told you people it would still be around in June.

:D

[ 06-11-2006, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Mr Zabe
06-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Unleavened suds are worth a few frying pan lumps on the head. LOL Enjoy your KFP suds. smile.gif

01GTB
06-11-2006, 03:21 PM
I've got one left and the date on it is June 5. I suppose I should put it in the fridge.

richcapo
06-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Coke with sugar a la KFP Coke and Coke from countries like Mexico and Costa Rica does, in my opinion, taste a lot better than HFCS Coke.

That said, Coke is not a high quality beverage in any form, with any formula, imo. Compared to some premium brands out there, even sugar Coca Cola tastes bad.

BTW, I've heard it be said that the only difference between HFCS Coke and sugar Coke is the packaging -- sugar Coke tends to come in bottles, where HFCS Coke comes in cans, usually. Not so, not in my experience. I recently tested a can of HFCS against a can of Costa Rica sugar Coke. CR Coke blew "our" Coke out of the water.

Sugar makes a huge difference to Coca Cola, unlike, say, Dr. Pepper, which, as far as I can tell, tastes no different with sugar than it does with HFCS.

Believe the hype: Sugar Coke beats the pants off HFCS Coke. Though that's really not saying much.

_Rich

[ 06-11-2006, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: richcapo ]

Lepke
06-13-2006, 12:47 PM
If you are still looking for the kosher for Passover stuff you just may be able to find it.
Find a kosher market in your area. Coke and Pepsi have large minimum orders so small kosher markets had to buy a lot of the kosher for Passover product if they were going to be able to carry KP soda at all.
Most of the customers of these stores buy their soda at the large supermarkets when it’s on sale and may only pick up one or two bottles at the kosher market because the price is higher. So I’m finding plenty of KP Coke out there. KP Pepsi I’m not seeing, as many of these stores wont carry Pepsi because Pepsi took part in the Arab boycott of Israel until the 1990’s. Still many Jews remember and will not drink Pepsi.

So get out there to a kosher market and make sure it’s the kosher for Passover stuff and not just kosher.

You can also find KP Dr. Browns among other sodas that are KP.

01GTB
06-30-2006, 03:19 AM
I could wait no longer. I just cracked open the last bottle. Almost a month past the date on the bottle and still pretty darn tasty.

Mr Zabe
06-30-2006, 03:35 AM
Drink it in good health....so said my Bubbie. smile.gif
(Bubbie is Yiddish for Grandmother.)

[ 06-30-2006, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hollow Man
02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
It just isn't that far away!

I found a 2 liter bottle of the stuff in the back of my fridge that was over half full. It was only a bit flat, and tasted fine. Great tasting Coke FTW!

-HM

dr nootz
02-06-2007, 08:17 AM
does anyone know if they are going to make passover cherry coke also?

AzRocks
02-06-2007, 09:18 PM
they only make passover coke and sprite (and the diet versions) so no (at least i dont think so...)

Mr Zabe
02-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Yes, I have only seen Coke KP and Diet Coke KP at the various store I shop at. Last year I drove 5 towns over (30 minutes) to get Coke KP six packs.
I would love to get some Pepsi KP.