PDA

View Full Version : Passover Coke 2006

Pages : [1] 2

AzRocks
01-19-2006, 02:11 PM
I am already getting excited for Passover Coke. If anyone doesn't know what it is, it is when Coke starts to produce Coke with REAL sugar instead of HFCS. They do this for the Jewish holiday of Passover, which you are not allowed to eat certain food items such as corn syrup, because of this Coke produces Coca-Cola and Sprite in 2L and sometimes in cans that have real sugar in it. You can tell Passover Coke from Regular Coke because it has yellow caps and has a KP on it or another kosher symbol with a P after it. Passover begins in the beginning of April and they usually start to produce these about 2 weeks before so we have a bout 2 months till you can stock up. They usually only produce them around cities with a fairly large Jewish population but most fairly big cities in the US (New York, Chicago, LA, Miami, etc.) have them.

popologist
01-19-2006, 02:37 PM
do we have to go to a special jewish store? or will regular stores have it too?

i live in nyc, and will definitely try to find some. just to see if there's any difference.

also, is there a kosher version of pepsi too? or is this just part of the "coke side of life?" LOL

AzRocks
01-19-2006, 02:52 PM
most big stores will have it in the NYC area
there is a difference between Kosher and Kosher for Passover. Pepsi, Coke and baisically every soda is Kosher all year round except for Passover. I believe that pepsi has a kosher for passover version too of just pepsi but coke proabably will be easier to find

popologist
01-19-2006, 04:01 PM
thanks for the clarification.

i'll definitely look for it. smile.gif

Mr Zabe
01-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Speaking of the Chicago Jewish demographic; there are some areas both in Chicago and it's suburbs that have large Jewish communities.

A good number of the large Chain stores,Domiciks and Jewels, will carry Kosher for Passover soda pop. I have see Coke;I recall in 2lts bottles.
I have seen KP Coke in the north suburbs. I rarely go into the city of Chicago so I could not tell you if the chain stores carry KP Coke.

My guess would be they would.

popologist
01-19-2006, 11:18 PM
coke with sugar better be as good as you've said it is, zabe! ;)

Mr Zabe
01-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Coke with sugar is the bench mark for most serious older soda pop freaks. LOL I remember when I at the age of 9 was sipping a cold Coke at a Cubs Game (1972). I swear I thought that cup of Coke was the finest food or beverage that I ever tasted. Yeah Coke with sugar is and will always be on my A list.

[ 01-19-2006, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Nethead
01-20-2006, 03:00 AM
I doubt they'll have it around here. :( I wish Netgrocer would sell it.

AzRocks
01-20-2006, 10:39 AM
ya coke with sugar is much better then the HFCS one

Synchronicitysix
01-20-2006, 11:10 AM
When will this stuff start popping up? I have a big jewish community near me and i'll have to take a look for it. If not would any of you be willing to send some my way?

AzRocks
01-20-2006, 11:17 AM
its not gonna come for like 2 months probably not until the last week of March

popologist
01-20-2006, 01:11 PM
well... there's still time to make a new jewish friend. LOL. ;)

AzRocks
03-13-2006, 08:06 PM
just a heads up- about 2 weeks till ull start to see it

Mr Zabe
03-13-2006, 08:21 PM
I will report back when and if I see any Passover Coke.

jmyjunk
03-13-2006, 08:43 PM
I've just been thinking it's already that time of year again. April 12th is the first night of passover. So, I would think it should be hitting the major stores, in major areas in the next week or so.

Mr Zabe
03-13-2006, 09:12 PM
The Dominick's by me usually has passover products a good two weeks before the holiday. I am looking forward to finding some. smile.gif

[ 03-13-2006, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

jblaviback
03-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Anyone know if there will be any in MN/Minneapolis?

AzRocks
03-14-2006, 02:07 PM
hmm... i dunno- does minneapolis have a jewish population- if yes then proabably

Mr Zabe
03-14-2006, 02:49 PM
I take it your sarcasm was meant to be light hearted? :D :rolleyes: :D

AzRocks
03-14-2006, 10:45 PM
:cool: ;) tongue.gif

Doug
03-15-2006, 12:30 AM
I wonder if Philly Coke'll bottle it, I sure hope so....maybe I can snag some on ebay or something if they aren't going to

Hollow Man
03-15-2006, 08:21 AM
I'll be looking around for it. Keep this thread active so I remember!

-HM

SURGE
03-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by jblaviback:
Anyone know if there will be any in MN/Minneapolis? Yes Passover Coke will be availible in the Twin Cities. I don't believe that we get Passover Pepsi though they might start this year.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know if Passover Coke might make it to the DC Metro Area this season?

DJHS

CCE Girlie
03-15-2006, 10:41 PM
You might want to try Mexican Coke---same thing!

Mr Zabe
03-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Good point. If one is a religious Jew, the soda pop has to be made under strict Kosher law which requires a Rabbi to observe and certify the machinery and materials used to produce the product.

So in theory you are correct if one is not an observant Jew.

AzRocks
03-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Im sure it will be in the DC area

fusion
03-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Alexandria VA (AX) is one of the facilities that produces Kosher Coke.

Doug
03-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Alexandria VA (AX) is one of the facilities that produces Kosher Coke. Do they carry it anywhere around where we live?

01GTB
03-16-2006, 02:40 PM
What about the Orlando Florida area? I'm not a big Coca-Cola drinker, but would like to get a bottle or two if they are going to have it around here.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-16-2006, 04:38 PM
I knew I could count on you, fusion.

DJHS

AzRocks
03-16-2006, 08:46 PM
this is just guessing but i highly doubt it will be in orlando- it will definetly be in southern areas of florida like miami....

Mr Zabe
03-16-2006, 09:05 PM
My guess is that it will be all over Florida.
Many senior citizens live around (maybe not near
the tourist stuff) Orlando that are Jewish. I bet the market for Kosher food products is pretty good. Just my two cents.

AzRocks
03-16-2006, 09:07 PM
i dunno... orlando seems more touristy then actually having a large amount of jewish people- there is a prettyl good chance though

01GTB
03-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Maybe the Tampa area will be more likely to have it.

Doug
03-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
My guess is that it will be all over Florida.
Many senior citizens live around (maybe not near
the tourist stuff) Orlando that are Jewish. I bet the market for Kosher food products is pretty good. Just my two cents. There's a larger Jewish population in southern fl, more towards miami

NoVA Alex
03-23-2006, 10:38 AM
found Passover coke in Northern VA this week. Already have 8 bottles and will probably pick up a few more.

"Coca Cola will again be available with an OU-P for Pesach. Aside from the New York metropolitan area, Coke will be available in Boston, Baltimore-Washington, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. This year, in New York, Coca Cola items will be made with an OU-P in 2 liter bottles and in cans. Other locations will have more limited Coke items made in different sizes. All these items, of course, require the OU-P symbol. Most of the bottling plants servicing these markets will designate the Passover Coke items with a distinctive yellow cap in addition to the OU-P symbol on the cap or shoulder of the bottle."

http://oukosher.org/index.php/passover/article/4759/
Note: This was an excerpt from a post on another board and the link is apparently no longer valid. :confused:

So maybe a Passover Sprite? I had Sprite with sugar in Bermuda and it rocks and would love to get some more. (airfare to Bermy = $$$) mmmmm

Fusion: Sounds like you'd know the answer... is AX producing any other U-P products?

[ 03-23-2006, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: NoVA Alex ]

fusion
03-23-2006, 10:48 AM
I remember Passover Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke, and Seagram's Ginger Ale in the NY area about seven years ago.

Mr Zabe
03-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Fusion,
The Alberton Jewel Food Stores(Chicago) grocery stores have Dr Browns Black Cherry and Cream Soda 1 ltrs Kosher for Passover soda pop on sale this week for $1.
(Sorry for the long run on sentence. LOL)

I saw this in their weekly sales flyer.

I have yet to see Kosher Coke or Pepsi.

[ 03-23-2006, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
03-23-2006, 12:20 PM
The only thing better about Passover food is the soda. Passover food really sucks. And it causes constipation. While I look forward to dinner with family and friends and of course the pure cane sugar in my favorite soda I am dreading the kosher for Passover food.

Mr Zabe
03-23-2006, 12:34 PM
I could not have that said any better. A few years ago I ate some matzah for breakfast. I just about ended up in the hospital. I suffered for a few weeks. LOL

For some other reasons and that matzah incident, I do not eat passover food any more. Soda pop is cool. smile.gif

[ 03-23-2006, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

AzRocks
03-23-2006, 07:45 PM
I could not have that said any better. A few years ago I ate some matzah for breakfast. I just about ended up in the hospital. I suffered for a few weeks. LOL

For some other reasons and that matzah incident, I do not eat passover food any more. Soda pop is cool. smile.gif lol- i havent seen any yet in NY...

stevenpeven
03-25-2006, 03:18 PM
I havent seen any in my area (MI) yet either. Are there any websites that will be selling this?

Mr Zabe
03-25-2006, 05:11 PM
I lurked on a few websites and did some Googling with no luck. I was just filling some time,I myself would not buy it via the internet (just one of my hang-ups).

[ 03-25-2006, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
03-25-2006, 07:33 PM
If you are in Michigan then just go to a town or city with Jews and you will have little trouble finding KP soda. Jews all over America have no problem getting KP products.
And guess what? You will still be able to find KP soda even weeks after Passover.
From the people posting on this board you would think Jews were rare and exotic.
We live in every state in the union. More in some then others.
If you think you are going to have trouble finding KP soda ask the manager of your super market.

AzRocks
03-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Lepke:
If you are in Michigan then just go to a town or city with Jews and you will have little trouble finding KP soda. Jews all over America have no problem getting KP products.
And guess what? You will still be able to find KP soda even weeks after Passover.
From the people posting on this board you would think Jews were rare and exotic.
We live in every state in the union. More in some then others.
If you think you are going to have trouble finding KP soda ask the manager of your super market. Very well said!

Lepke
03-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Just got back from the shop rite in Lakewood New Jersey and they have a ton of kosher for Passover Pepsi. All in 2 liters. I didn’t figure I’d be able to get cans. I don’t think they produce it in cans here any more.
So I picked up 4. They have lots of coke too.They also have a bunch of Jewish kosher brands that put out KP sodas of assorted flavors for the ultra orthodox Jews who don’t trust Pepsi or coke to be kosher enough,
I hope it does not give me another kidney stone. That would suck.

[ 03-26-2006, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Jason Perlow
03-26-2006, 11:44 PM
I've totally come up empty trying to find KFP Coca-Cola in cans in New Jersey. I've been to six different supermarkets in Bergen County, all in Orthodox Jewish towns (Teaneck, Englewood) with HUGE Kosher for Passover sections and there is no canned KFP Coke to be found at all. No KFP Dr. Browns either.

Anyone have any luck in other parts of Jersey?

[ 03-26-2006, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Jason Perlow ]

AzRocks
03-26-2006, 11:51 PM
found it in NY- its all over the place here

Jason Perlow
03-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Could you post a picture of what it looks like? Is it sold as six packs or in the long 12 pack fridge cartons?

Jason Perlow
03-26-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm wondering if I can find it just across the river in Westchester or in Rockland County near East New York, where all the Orthodox towns are.

AzRocks
03-27-2006, 12:00 AM
by found it i mean 2Ls and i believe i saw 6 packs of coke but im not 100% sure

Jason Perlow
03-27-2006, 12:05 AM
Oh I got plenty of 2Ls. KFP Coke, Sprite, even Pepsi. No cans though.

Lepke
03-27-2006, 12:11 AM
I don’t think they are doing it in cans any more. Back in the 70’s when I was a kid they has it in cans but that would have been easy they didn’t use HFCS back then. I think they just do the 2-liter now. It’s easier to do a special production run on 1 SKU. There is no need for them to go to the expense and trouble to do more then that.

Jason Perlow
03-27-2006, 12:33 AM
According to the Orthodox Union web site (http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/), its being produced in cans as well by the Coca Cola Bottling Company in New York, which is based in Hawthorne, NY (Westchester County).

Coca Cola will again be available with an OU-P for Pesach. Aside from the New York metropolitan area, Coke will be available in Boston, Baltimore-Washington, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. This year, in New York, Coca Cola items will be made with an OU-P in 2 liter bottles and in cans. Other locations will have more limited Coke items made in different sizes. All these items, of course, require the OU-P symbol. Most of the bottling plants servicing these markets will designate the Passover Coke items with a distinctive yellow cap in addition to the OU-P symbol on the cap or shoulder of the bottle.In Chicago, KFP Coke is being produced locally by bottlers supervised by the Chicago Rabbinical Council and it has a cRc-P06 marking on the cap.

[ 03-27-2006, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Jason Perlow ]

Jason Perlow
03-27-2006, 12:52 AM
The only thing better about Passover food is the soda. Passover food really sucks. And it causes constipation. Well, not to go offtopic here, but it doesn't HAVE to suck. My wife is a pretty damn good cook. I look forward to Passover, in fact.

Not all Passover food is the Eastern-European heavy duty heartburn matzoh and brisket induced coma kind, either. Sephardic Jews eat stuff that is pretty much the kind of food you would eat at a Middle Eastern resturant and some of it is really exotic, like the stuff Moroccan Jews make. For example, they eat dishes made with rice, because thats permitted under their form of Jewish law. Israelis don't eat what Ashkenaze Jews think of "Passover Food" either.

[ 03-27-2006, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Jason Perlow ]

Mr Zabe
03-27-2006, 01:18 AM
I lived with a Sephardic family near Jerusalem many years ago. I totally enjoyed all the wonderful Moroccan food my host Mom use to make.
It was such a pleasure to feast on all the special recipes she use to make.

We drank Beera Schora??? It was dark black sweet beer???

Lepke
03-27-2006, 01:37 AM
Well being Ashkenazi I am prohibited from eating kitniot (sp). Beans rice and corn are no no’s. But you should be happy they are not permitted or you would never have real sugar in your coke and Pepsi.

I think I’m going to call the local Pepsi plant and see if I can get info on KP cans.

Lepke
03-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Jason Perlow:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The only thing better about Passover food is the soda. Passover food really sucks. And it causes constipation. Well, not to go offtopic here, but it doesn't HAVE to suck. My wife is a pretty damn good cook. I look forward to Passover, in fact.

Not all Passover food is the Eastern-European heavy duty heartburn matzoh and brisket induced coma kind, either. Sephardic Jews eat stuff that is pretty much the kind of food you would eat at a Middle Eastern resturant and some of it is really exotic, like the stuff Moroccan Jews make. For example, they eat dishes made with rice, because thats permitted under their form of Jewish law. Israelis don't eat what Ashkenaze Jews think of "Passover Food" either. </font>[/QUOTE]So boy chic where is my invitation? I’ll bring the soda and the sawdust Passover cake.

Jason Perlow
03-27-2006, 11:03 AM
I lived with a Sephardic family near Jerusalem many years ago. I totally enjoyed all the wonderful Moroccan food my host Mom use to make.

We drank Beera Schora??? It was dark black sweet beer??? Getting back to soda here, Israel has AMAZING soft drinks. I'm pretty sure the Coke and Pepsi in Israel uses real sugar year round, and they have all kinds of great fruit flavored sodas. Cadbury Schweppes has mango-flavored ginger ale, and they also have a natural strawberry soda that is one of the best I've ever had. There also a whole bunch of unusual flavors of Fanta that you don't see in the states either, in addition to all the European soft drinks they import that we dont get here.

Jason Perlow
03-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Well being Ashkenazi I am prohibited from eating kitniot (sp). Beans rice and corn are no no’s. But you should be happy they are not permitted or you would never have real sugar in your coke and Pepsi.

I think I’m going to call the local Pepsi plant and see if I can get info on KP cans. Actually the jury on kitniot isn't out on that yet. I was shopping in the Passover aisle yesterday looking for the cans when I came across a box of Joyva chocolate covered marshmallows. On the back, there was a disclaimer that said it was halachically permissable for corn syrup to be used provided there was appropriate supervision to assure that the corn syrup was incapable of fermentation. However, only a limited number of hechshers permit this -- the OU and Star-K and the cRc, who certify Coca-Cola for Passover in the US, do NOT.

http://judaism.about.com/library/3_askrabbi_c/bl_pesachcornsyrup.htm

Coke is still made with sugar on passover because of the problems with assuring the source of the corn syrup -- because Coca Cola bottlers buy their corn syrup from any number of sources a Rabbi cannot guarantee it is fit for Passover use. Its also very highly unlikely the OU, which is a very fundamentalist hechsher, would permit corn syrup even if they could guarantee it would stay inert.

Which is good for us!

[ 03-27-2006, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Jason Perlow ]

Lepke
03-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Ok I called Pepsi in jersey and they say they are making only 2 liter but the Brooklyn Pepsi says they have six pack cans there.
Coke in jersey says they are doing cans but would not tell me where I can find it.
The people at Pepsi were helpful and the folks at coke were abrupt and a little rude.

POP
03-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I just called my grocery store. They said the shipment should be coming in tomorrow.

I'm kinda excited to drink REAL Coke again.

Mr Zabe
03-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Hey Dizz, how many trays are you going to buy? :D Outstanding news for you. smile.gif

POP
03-27-2006, 03:05 PM
As many as my wife will let me... jk.
I'm not sure, depending on the packaging.

If they have cans, I may buy the whole lot, if it's in 2 liter bottles 10-20?

Let me know if you need any Z.

Mr Zabe
03-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Dizz
As they say in my family,"Use it(drink it) in good health." I will be happy that your happy enjoying your new found Passover Coke. In a quaise way, I will enjoy it in cyber land. smile.gif

[ 03-27-2006, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

POP
03-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks Z.
If you can't get your hands on any, let me know, I'll ship a few liters out to you.
Holla atcha yo boy!

AzRocks
03-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Well being Ashkenazi I am prohibited from eating kitniot (sp). Beans rice and corn are no no’s. But you should be happy they are not permitted or you would never have real sugar in your coke and Pepsi. Same here

AzRocks
03-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Jason Perlow:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mr Zabe:

We drank Beera Schora??? It was dark black sweet beer??? Getting back to soda here, Israel has AMAZING soft drinks. I'm pretty sure the Coke and Pepsi in Israel uses real sugar year round, and they have all kinds of great fruit flavored sodas. Cadbury Schweppes has mango-flavored ginger ale, and they also have a natural strawberry soda that is one of the best I've ever had. There also a whole bunch of unusual flavors of Fanta that you don't see in the states either, in addition to all the European soft drinks they import that we dont get here. </font>[/QUOTE]Yep- the israeli soda is awesome (especially Fanta Shokata and Exotic)

Lepke
03-27-2006, 09:02 PM
all i drank was coke when i was in Israel oh so long ago.

Mr Zabe
03-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Same here. I remember drinking ice cold Cokes out of glass bottles. I have no memories of drinking anything else. :(

I also remember drinking milk from plastic bags.
I do not recall if there was bottled water. If so I would have drank less coke. When I would go into Jerusalem's City Center, I would drink at least 5 to 6 bottles of Coke. I was spoiled.LOL

[ 03-27-2006, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

AzRocks
03-27-2006, 09:16 PM
fanta shokata is the BEST soda on earth- ive tried sooo hard to sum how get it in america- o well- my friend is going to israel for passover and hopefully he'll get me a cupple of cans...

Zap
03-28-2006, 12:56 AM
I spotted 2L of KP Coke at a smaller chain store in Columbus, OH (Giant Eagle in Upper Arlington). I was stunned, and ended up buying 6 bottles. They only had around 20, but it was the first time I've ever seen it in a regular store. I was planning on checking around soon anyway. Last year, Bilker's Deli in Cincinnati had both 2L and *cans* of both Coke and 7-up. I feel like I was spoiled, but I am going to check locally in the more appropriate places before giving up hope for more cans. The bottles just aren't as convenient or long lasting! I believe they brought in the cans from NY though.

[ 03-28-2006, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Zap ]

Lepke
03-28-2006, 01:06 AM
go for it boy!

Mr Zabe
03-28-2006, 05:02 AM
Is fun to see such excitement over the quest for sugar cane soda pop. smile.gif It just proves once again that soda pop freaks are very determined people. ;)

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-28-2006, 10:25 AM
So, if I wanted to find some Passover Coke here in DC, where would I look?

I mean, it's not like there are any Jewish groceries or delis around here.

Does anybody know?

DJHS

Lepke
03-28-2006, 10:55 AM
For god sake man, you are in DC. Go to the supermarket. If you were in Montana I could see having some difficulty finding KP products but you are in DC. This is not brain surgery.

Mr Zabe
03-28-2006, 12:49 PM
DJHS
If I were in your shoes, I would call a conservative Jewish synagogue and ask someone in their office or even the Rabi. I'll bet you would be suprised that there are many places to buy Passover soda pop. smile.gif

[ 03-28-2006, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

jmyjunk
03-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by DJ HawaiianShirt:
So, if I wanted to find some Passover Coke here in DC, where would I look?

I mean, it's not like there are any Jewish groceries or delis around here.

Does anybody know?

DJHS I take it you are being sarcastic? DC has a large jewish commuinty, just head up to Silver Springs, Bethesda and walk into any supermarket.

[ 03-28-2006, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-28-2006, 02:30 PM
For god sake man, you are in DC. Go to the supermarket. If you were in Montana I could see having some difficulty finding KP products but you are in DC. This is not brain surgery. I'm downtown without a car. It's not like the supermarkets here are the expansive Walmart Supercenters like that of the sprawling suburbia.

The Safeways here are so cramped, they have to pick and choose which merchandise they sell because they don't have room for it all. Space here is not cheap.

It's at least a 2-3 dollar metro ride(one way) and a 20 minute walk or so to get to any decent supermarket around here. And then you have to buy few enough things to carry it back.

Suffice it to say I rarely spend the time or money finding exceptional places. I usually settle for the mediocre-to-average places that are near to me.

So on that note, does anybody know of a specific chain that might sell Passover Coke so I don't have to spend a day looking for it?

DJHS

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-28-2006, 02:34 PM
I've heard there are Jewish populations in Bethesda. I've not heard of or seen any Jewish markets specifically, but I'll try to go up there this weekend and see what's going on.

DJHS

Mr Zabe
03-28-2006, 02:46 PM
DJHS,
Ok my friend, I have been there and done that with having transportation and cash problems. Because I happen to think your a cool guy I will offer you some more advice. smile.gif

1. Do you have any friends,acquaints that could take you shopping or share cab fare back and forth?

2. Look up your University/College Hillel Group (Jewish students who pray and have social functions) for help or at lest some local locations for Passover Soda Pop.

3. Some grocery store both large and neighborhood can deliver groceries for a reasonable price. I would call some stores and see what the costs are.

4. Like I said before search for a local synagogue for locations.

Good Luck smile.gif

[ 03-28-2006, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
03-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Go down to your local supermarket and see if they have it. If they do not have it ask the manager to order it. You don’t have to tell him/her you are not Jewish. Just say that you need kosher for Passover. It will be in their next delivery.

Jason Perlow
03-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Is fun to see such excitement over the quest for sugar cane soda pop. smile.gif It just proves once again that soda pop freaks are very determined people. ;) In actuality, Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola and Pepsi is not made with cane sugar. Its made from Sucrose, which is the refined white sugar you get when you process sugar beets and its the type that is used as a general purpose table sugar, like Domino -- it doesn't have any residual molasses in it. Chemically, beet sugar is the same as Cane Sugar, but there are other chemical compounds in cane sugar besides just Sucrose which gives you an additional sugar-caney aftertaste, and the stuff is VERY expensive. Some gourmet soda companies -do- use acual cane sugar, like Dublin (Texas) Dr. Pepper and Boylan's Cane Cola (which, if you can find it, is awesome). Mexican Coca-Cola uses cane sugar because they have access to the resource locally, as does Dominican Coca-Cola and other stuff from South American countries.

redcremesoda
03-28-2006, 06:08 PM
All right class. Here's the scoop on my adventure today.

The Dominick's and Jewel grocery stores on Lake Cook Road in Buffalo Grove/Wheeling have the Kosher Coke in 2 liter plastic AND 6 pack cans. Dominick's has the better price on 2 liter bottles ($1 each) and Jewel has the better price on the 6 packs ($2.25 each). Also, both had Kosher Pepsi in 2 liter plastic for $1 each as well.

I took pictures but I do not know how to post them here. Any suggestions?

Mr Zabe
03-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Redcremesoda,
Outstanding news!!!!!!
I live less than 20 miles from those stores.
I'm so up for a road trip,I bet one of those stores is open 24/7. I rather get those 6pks. Heck I call my local Jewel ASAP. I can feel a late night not road trip might just perk me up. LOL
Tks much.
Zabe smile.gif

PS#### Unbelievable....I just found out my local "large and favorite" Jewel sold out of all their Kosher for Passover Coke six packs in one day. I will try and meet up with the Coke associate(route person) at 6am or so tomorrow morning if I do not find some at any other store this evening. Gee this soda pop is a real challenge to find. Next year I might have to hire my own SPF. LOL (Soda Pop Finder)

[ 03-28-2006, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-28-2006, 06:41 PM
dang, i hope that woodmans in janesville, wi has some, we are only a couple of hours from chicago!

redcremesoda
03-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Mr Zabe...

The Jewel had a huge end cap display at the front of the store. They have LOTS of the cans.

Is $2.25 a good price for Kosher Coke in cans? Seemed high to me so I only bought 2. Then I went to Dominick's and it was $2.99 a 6 pack. Maybe that's just the cost.

BTW, what a fantastic religion that influences Coca-Cola to do this every year. Any religions out there that mandate all carbonated beverages come in glass?

bigrich
03-28-2006, 07:11 PM
It has arrived in Indianapolis but only in 2L Coke & Diet Coke. It is shipped from Alexandra, VA. I would love to get ahold of some cans.

Mr Zabe
03-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Rob,
LOL...If we have to put of with chocolate covered marshmallow bunny rabbits once a year...I guess passover pop wins hands down,not even close. ROTFL smile.gif

$2.29 is a very good and cheap price for a single six pack of the Big Three variety. $2.99 is the average price charged. In general Jewel has the lowest pieces both regular and on sale.

[ 03-28-2006, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the great post, Jason. Come to think of it, I think even less beverage companies use sucrose than pure cane sugar.

And I agree that Boylan's Cane Cola is divine.

DJHS

POP
03-28-2006, 07:55 PM
How lucky am I?

I went to lunch at some obscure restaurant in Tustin. I had no desire to eat there, however, my friend is insistent and I gave in.

Afer our meal, I noticed a ethnic(Mexican) supermarket in the same plaza. I decided to walk in just to check out the competition or to see if there was any to begin with.

From nearly three aisles away, I see a Coca-cola cooler. There were glass bottles taking up the middle row. I immediately rush over there to see if that is what I think it is...

Low and behold, Coca-cola en hecho MEXICO! I've been to other Mexican markets and seen the glass bottle with the label saying: "high fructose corn syrup and/or sucrose". No baby...

The ingredients from this bottle read: "Water, sugar..." I was grinnin' ear to ear.

My ignorant friend is wondering why I'm spazzing out. I grab as many bottles and I tell my friend to do the same.

I ask the cashier if this is a regular occurence, she's looking at me as if I have a third eye, she's says: "Yeah, we always stock Coke from Mexico."

Transaction completed. I crack open a bottle for myself and my friend.

My friend has seen the "Light". He immediately noticed that it was "different". Not sticky or syrupy. He also noticed that halfway through the bottle, he was completely full.

What a great way to end a crappy gloomy socal day. I'm stocked for about a week with real sugar Coca-cola.

I paid close to a $1.50 for 12oz glass bottle. So if any of you guys can't find Passover Coke, I'll be more than happy to pick you guys up a few bottles and ship them out.

$1.50 and whatever shipping will cost to where ever you guys are.

http://cars.netmonkey.org/albums/ipg35c/IMG_1026.sized.jpg
http://cars.netmonkey.org/albums/ipg35c/IMG_1029.sized.jpg

Mr Zabe
03-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Dizz
Welcome to M.C.S.C. LOL
(Mexican Coke Sugar Club)

How cool for you!!!!!

Zabe

Lepke
03-28-2006, 08:00 PM
KP coke and Pepsi should not cost any more then regular coke or Pepsi. Go to the market that has it on sale. Here they seem to switch off while shop rite and say stop & shop will have say Pepsi on sale, pathmark and key food will have coke. Or some thing like that. But either they don’t raise the price on the KP coke or Pepsi. At least not here.

And again people… if your store does not have it… they will order it…i bet they are doing that for other people.

Make sure you specify KOSHER FOR PASSOVER.
Supermarkets special order kosher foods all the time for customers who ask.

[ 03-28-2006, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

POP
03-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Hellz yeah!
M.C.S.C.
4 life!

Z, seriously, if you can't get your hands on some sugar, let me know.
I'll be more than happy to send you a few bottles of the good stuff.

[ 03-28-2006, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Dizz ]

01GTB
03-28-2006, 08:35 PM
We have plenty of Mexican supermarkets around here, but I am afraid to go in them. I am afraid I will get in there and people will only speak Spanish and laugh at me for my feeble attempt at speaking their language :D Seriously, I am not sure what the hell I did during those two years of high school Spanish.

Mr Zabe
03-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Believe me your cash is bilingual. ROTFL

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-28-2006, 09:21 PM
i have a mexican market downtown in my city, and they have a cooler that is always full of many many glass bottle, cane sugar drinks, including: sprite, coke, fresca, all 3 crush flavors, sidral mundet, jarritos, and even VAULT (but thats not in glass with sugar, tho...)

killjimmy
03-28-2006, 09:32 PM
bigrich, where did you find it in indy? i'd like to try some.

bigrich
03-28-2006, 09:41 PM
I bought my first few bottles at Marsh @ 86th & Ditch. Kroger @ 86 & Township Line usually also has it, as does the Meijer in Carmel. Marsh & Kroger usually have special displays of the product. I was at Marsh tonight and the Passover products were being heavily shopped.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-28-2006, 09:45 PM
It's "Hecho en Mexico", btw. :D

DJHS

Jason Perlow
03-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Rob The SURGE Drinker:
i have a mexican market downtown in my city, and they have a cooler that is always full of many many glass bottle, cane sugar drinks, including: sprite, coke, fresca, all 3 crush flavors, sidral mundet, jarritos, and even VAULT (but thats not in glass with sugar, tho...) There are a LOT of cool Mexican sodas made with sugar.

Recently, Mexican Fresca just started to be imported in the US -- unlike the US version which is a diet soda, Fresca in Mexico is a sugar-based soda. And like all Mexican sodas it comes in crown cap glass bottles. Its awesome.

There are other grapefruit sodas as well that they produce with sugar -- Squirt, and Jarritos Toronja. Actually all the Jarritos flavors are very good. And Mexican Fanta is the bomb.

fusion
03-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Believe me your cash is bilingual. ROTFL And most of them speak some English. You just don't have to say anything - haha.

Sometimes they will speak Spanish to me, when giving back my change. Other times they will have already figured out that I probably only speak English.

I usually say "gracias" (but not that loud).

fusion
03-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Oh - and this sweet nectar has arrived in our warehouse. I spotted it today, with a big sign on it - "Kosher for Passover - do NOT use."

Last year they picked it and put it on regular orders.

Mr Zabe
03-28-2006, 11:33 PM
fusion,
LOL...that's a funny story. Will you buy some for yourself?

Zap
03-29-2006, 02:34 AM
I was out and about again today in Columbus, but not as much luck. I may look again tomorrow. The only other KP soda I found was Dr Brown's 1L of Cream Soda, but they were $1.79 each. A friend of mine tells me they are $1 ea at Kroger in Toledo, so I will check a Kroger nearby and maybe snag a few bottles of the Black Cherry if they've got it. The Kosher market only has plastic, so it might end up meaning a trip to Cincinnati to get any cans. They have 7up again this year, and Coke is on the way, but I believe they were about $4.50/6 pack last year! Does anyone know if there is an easy way to check for local supply? Most of the stores don't even have a clue if you call, I have tried that in past years.

Zap
03-29-2006, 03:14 AM
For those that haven't seen them before... pics of the labels on the KP Cans. I also can snap a pic of the new 2L label, ONLY says Sucrose on it! Have a cap here from the 2L as well.

7-up (see the Kosher K-P label):
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/CarillonAmericana/Kosher7upcan.jpg

Coca-Cola (engraved into top of can):
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/CarillonAmericana/KosherCokeCan.jpg

Mr Zabe
03-29-2006, 03:25 AM
I called about 7 different Albertson Jewel Food stores (they are #1 in Chicago) and not one store manager had any idea of what I was asking about. They had to page some to walk down the soda pop isle. LOL

Gee it's a regular day job finding this stuff.LOL

[ 03-29-2006, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Zabe
03-29-2006, 06:27 AM
All right class. Here's the scoop on my adventure today.

The Dominick's and Jewel grocery stores on Lake Cook Road in Buffalo Grove/Wheeling have the Kosher Coke in 2 liter plastic AND 6 pack cans. Dominick's has the better price on 2 liter bottles ($1 each) and Jewel has the better price on the 6 packs ($2.25 each). Also, both had Kosher Pepsi in 2 liter plastic for $1 each as well.
To all the Kosher For Passover soda pop thrill seekers. ;)

I finally picked up a nice starting supply of KFP
Coke 6pk cans. I went out at 3am and drove about 3 or 4 small towns north of me to a Jewel that caters to a affluent Jewish community. I know because my Aunt and Uncle live there. LOL

I kid you not,for a suburban grocery store(Buffalo Grove), I can not recall seeing such a vast amount of Passover products. I stood around and was just amazed.

The KFP Coke display was tall and deep with Coke and Diet Coke 6pks. There were 2lts as well, the Coke 2lts were well shopped as they are the most popular CFP soda pop for family gatherings.

I did see Dr Brown's. I did not buy any. I brought 4 6pks of KFP Coke. I also brought 4 1 ltrs of KFP Seltzer Water just because I love seltzer water. LOL

[ 03-29-2006, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Zabe
03-29-2006, 08:24 AM
My two cent KFP Coke review.

I could not wait any longer. I'm in the middle of my second can of KFP can of Coke. I'm drinking it over a full 9oz cup of ice.

Pure magic. It tastes like it did when I was a kid. I can taste the difference between the sucrose and the HFCS formula. The KFP Coke is sweetly smooth sweet "bright" tasting.
Very pleasing with not a touch of an aftertaste.

It really was worth all the phone calls and board posts to arrive at a gem of a soda pop. For a soda pop freak drinking this quality of Coke is a gift.

Hollow Man
03-29-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm not a fan of cola, but I will be looking out for some this year - probably will do the hunting tomorrow or the weekend. Got some KFP Dr. Brown's Creamlast year.

-HM

NoVA Alex
03-29-2006, 11:10 AM
DJHS:

I'm in Alexandria and the availability here is hit-or-miss. I found two Targets that had it as well as a Shopper's ... but nothing at the Giant and Safeway I visited.

Shoppers had theirs on an endcap with other kosher foods, practically on the other side of the store form the rest of the sodas.

So wherever you go, look around a bit. smile.gif

jmyjunk
03-29-2006, 11:19 AM
I know that this has been discussed, but it is worth mentioning again.
With folks willing to spend extra from Coke bottles from Mexico, why on earth hasn't Coke come up with a real sugar Coke. Obviously there are people, like myself, who are willing to pay extra for a product like this.

Mr Zabe
03-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Like you said it's not in total the cost. It's the volume of sales (overall all market/demand) that are need to justify (profit) it's production.

We are the chosen "minority",the special beloved soda pop freaks that would crawl on our hands and knees though a category five hurricane to have our glass cane sugar soda pops.

The majority of soda pop drinkers demand cheap soda pop and do not even have the thought to walk any further than to a local grocery store for it.

It's all a supply and a demand delima. smile.gif

[ 03-29-2006, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
03-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Most Americans are oblivious to the fact that the big soda companies use corn syrup instead of sugar. Even if most people knew they would not know the difference or care.
I’ll bet the very last thing they want to do is publicize that they are using crap for a sweetener. Putting out a “classic” real sugar product would have them competing against their own product, while educating the consumer to the fact that they are being fed poison.

Mr Zabe
03-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Lepke
Excellent point. I agree with your point too.

[ 03-29-2006, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hollow Man
03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Well I just ordered some cane sugar Sunkist from the Sun Drop Bottling Co. in Pulaski, TN. Down with HFCS, I tell ya!

-HM

SplitLevelP
03-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Ok heres my take on why there is no real sugar option for reg Coke.The chance they would take to release that and have it flop.would leave them open to lose twice since to release a "premium Coke" would leave pepsi or others to say the stuff they have is a second rate version.Second thing being if it fails now the others could say now your top stuff failed and all you have is this now publicly admited B version left on the market leaving a field day for pepsi and dpsu.As much as I would love to see it I think the brass lack the balls to risk putting out a "A" version and having it flop.

01GTB
03-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Go ask 100 random people on the street what Coke (Pepsi, Mt Dew, whatever) is sweetened with. I bet 85%, or more will tell you sugar. The public doesn't know and the manufacturers don't want them to know.

From the cost standpoint it's hard to say. When I see customers walk into a store and pay $1.39 and tax for a 20oz PET soda single, I don't see cost being a determining factor. I don't know a single person who drinks Pepsi who would buy a 12 pack of canned Coke because it was 18 cents cheaper.

The companies have a lot at stake. I remember reading on here that some Coke bottlers who bottle Dr Pepper were going to do some short runs with cane sugar later this year. I think of that as an experiment for Coke without risk of damaging their own name.

bevorama2006
03-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Zabe or any other Chicago folks-

Have you found Passover Coke anywhere within the city or is it just in the northern burbs?

I really want to try it but don't think I'll be able to make a field trip that far. Has anyone tried Rogers Park? I know they have a larger Jewish population in certain areas.

Mr Zabe
03-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Go to Hungarian Kosher in Skokie. I believe it's on Devon. It's worth a trip. Here is a link that has just about every Kosher Chicago store.
I would call first to check quantity and price.
Good Luck smile.gif

Chicago Kosher Store Guide (http://www.jewishchicago.com/directories/kosher2.html)

(I posted this link a few days ago.)

[ 03-29-2006, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

doug1885
03-29-2006, 05:31 PM
I just had some of a 2 liter passover Coke. It actually had "sucrose" in the ingredients this year (no HFCS)! Not only did it have the "clean" mouthfeel, but you can tell the difference even while it's in the bottle (if you shake it, you get small persistent bubbles on the top, like a froth, which resemble the way sugar looks when you heat it on the stove).

They also had Sprite and Diet Coke, in the 2 liter form factor.

If only real-sugar Dr Pepper could be gotten so easily!

-Doug

Lepke
03-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Well don’t bother with the KP diet, it has no sugar anyway.

The shop rite near me has a very kosher brand called Bier Myim in assorted flavors. Cola, black cherry, root beer ECT. It’s $1.89 for 2 liters as opposed to the $1.00 for 2 liters Pepsi this week. Next week it will be coke.
I looked high and low for the coke in cans that the very rude Coca-Cola bottling company told me they were producing but could not find any in that store. Lakewood NJ is a big yeshiva town filled with ultra orthodox Jews. If coke didn’t ship the cans there where would they have sent them. They would not tell me when I called. They did tell me to go to every supermarket till I found KP cans. I’m choosing not to take their advice. Screw em I like Pepsi better anyway.

just checked it's spelled Be'er Mayim and it would seem it's from brooklyn

[ 03-29-2006, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Mr Zabe
03-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Lepke
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Nothing like seamless customer service. :( Hang in there. smile.gif

Lepke
03-29-2006, 07:16 PM
i think bevnet needs a chat room

Mr Zabe
03-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Ok, I see your point. The only problem is that a good/well operated chat room needs a few on the ball moderators. Every chat room I have every participate on, ends up being a war zone for flaming and nastiness. I in general HATE chat rooms. IMO they are a big waste of time.

(I do not think BevNet would want to spend the time and energy to have a chat room.)

[ 03-29-2006, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Jason Perlow
03-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Well don’t bother with the KP diet, it has no sugar anyway.

The shop rite near me has a very kosher brand called Bier Myim in assorted flavors. Cola, black cherry, root beer ECT. It’s $1.89 for 2 liters as opposed to the $1.00 for 2 liters Pepsi this week. Next week it will be coke.

just checked it's spelled Be'er Mayim and it would seem it's from brooklyn I spoke with the Kosher section manager at the Englewood NJ Shop Rite at length about the KFP coke can scarcity issue. It has to do with the fact that the only bottler making it is Coca-Cola of Hawthorne, NY (in Westchester) and they won't ship the cans to NJ. The Englewood store is Shop Rite's flagship Kosher store, they have 3 full length aisles dedicated to kosher with its own kosher meats section and they import stuff from Israel. Whenever Shop Rite gets a new Kosher product it hits that store first for testing, because Englewood is a huge Orthodox Jewish town. With that kind of purchasing power you would think they could get the KFP Coke in cans, but Dominick, the Kosher manager there, says it doesnt matter. Coke of Hawthorne just won't do it.

In addition to Shop Rite, try to head toward your nearest PathMark. In addition to Coke and Pepsi products in KFP form, they also have their in-house soda brand which is KFP and also made with real sugar. Their Cola flavor is not to be scoffed at and they also have orange and a lemon/lime flavor that is excellent.

Another NY metro area chain that has a huge Jewish following is Waldbaum's. I beleive they also have their own soda brand that they contact manufacture as well that is KFP. I think that the same company that is making PathMark's is also making their soda for Passover as well.

POP
03-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Englewood?
Woot woot!
Fort Lee in da hizzo!

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-29-2006, 08:55 PM
I appreciate the info, Alex.

DJHS

Lepke
03-29-2006, 09:42 PM
I called the coke distributor in Neptune NJ. They told me they had cans but would not tell me where to get them. They may have been lying to get me off the phone. They were unpleasant.

Believe me Jason; Lakewood NJ is very orthodox the biggest yeshiva in the world is there. The shoprite has the kosher connection. 3 full isles of kosher foods including all the stuff from Israel. Kosher butcher, kosher fish and a deli with all sorts of prepared foods. You may get the stuff first because the community is more affluent up there. Here many of the orthodox are poor believe it or not. They are here to study and are very into the religion most seem to study full time while their wives work.

I miss waldbaums, we don’t have it here. For a supermarket they had great appetizing. The best pickled herring with onions in cream sauce.

Have you tried the Be'er Mayim soda? I have not yet.

There is a pathmark here I’ll have to check it out.

I’ll also have to check out the smaller kosher markets and see what they have to offer. I know all the owners from my olde Brooklyn soda days.

Mr Zabe
03-29-2006, 09:49 PM
My sister lives near Yardly,PA which is approx. one hour from NJ. A few years back I spent some time by her;Waldbaums is amazing!!!! At the time Chicago did not have a store of that quality not even Sunset Foods could compare. The pathmark was also pretty darn good.

It's really strange how nice thriving Jewish communities can't get Coke or Pepsi to service their Passover business on a more consistent basis.

[ 03-29-2006, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Jason Perlow
03-29-2006, 10:01 PM
I called the coke distributor in Neptune NJ. They told me they had cans but would not tell me where to get them. They may have been lying to get me off the phone. They were unpleasant.

Believe me Jason; Lakewood NJ is very orthodox the biggest yeshiva in the world is there. The shoprite has the kosher connection. 3 full isles of kosher foods including all the stuff from Israel. Kosher butcher, kosher fish and a deli with all sorts of prepared foods. That Lakewood ShopRite sounds like a comparable store to the Englewood one, Lepke.

I did buy some of the Be'er Mayim stuff, the orange, the Half and Half and the Grapefruit flavor. I tried the orange tonight, its very good, tastes like really old fashioned orange soda, but its expensive compared to the PathMark stuff which is just as good. I was able to get the Pathmark 2 liter KFP's for 79 cents a bottle! Dirt cheap.

Jason Perlow
03-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Dizz:
Englewood?
Woot woot!
Fort Lee in da hizzo! Yeah, speaking of Fort Lee, most of the supermarkets in that area have run out of KFP Coke. I made the mistake a few days ago of only buying 4 bottles of the 2 liters and was down to my last bottle in like 2 days because of people coming over and sampling it. So I made another supermarket run today only to find out that Kings was out, the Shoprite ran out, and the Pathmark by Edgewater ran out. The Fort Lee Pathmark had a huge cache of KFP Coke and KFP Sprite left, so I bought 16 bottles of Coke and 8 bottles of Sprite. at $1.49 a bottle no less. My wife thinks I am insane, but I don't want to take any chances on it being all gone in a week. I'm leaving for New Orleans on Friday and I come back for Passover, and I don't expect to be able to buy any more when I come back.

[ 03-29-2006, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Jason Perlow ]

Jason Perlow
03-29-2006, 10:15 PM
I’ll also have to check out the smaller kosher markets and see what they have to offer. I know all the owners from my olde Brooklyn soda days.Were you in the industry? Do tell! My mom's family were good friends with the family that owned Hoffman's Soda. I remember my grandparents having cases of it delivered when I was very little, I think the company died out in the early 1970's. They had a LOT of flavors, I remember that.

Lepke
03-30-2006, 01:08 AM
I’m pretty sure Hoffman lasted past the early 70’s. I used to have hammer or Hoffman one of them delivered to my home till the early 80’s.
They also had the old-fashioned seltzer bottles you know the clown down the pants type seltzer.

I used to distribute olde Brooklyn till the winter of 2001-2002 when they went belly up.
They never did a KP run. Money was tight at olde Brooklyn.

[ 03-30-2006, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

mattgs0
03-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Has anybody found Passover Coke or Sprite in the Atlanta area? I am sure that Atlanta will have it, however, last year I was unable to find any.

Any help would be awesome!

Lepke
03-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Kroger Dunwoody Club ~ 770-391-9035
2090 Dunwoody Club Drive • Atlanta, GA 30350
Mashgiach: Joe Melamed
Kosher Fish, Meat & Deli (Glatt)
Sun & Thurs 8 am-8 pm; Fri 8 am-3 pm

Kroger Sage Hill ~ 404-607-1189
1799 Briarcliff Rd., Atlanta, GA 30329
Mashgiach: Khosrow Radparvar
Glatt Kosher Meat dept.

Kroger Sandy Springs ~ 404-256-3434

227 Sandy Springs Place, Atlanta, GA 30328
Mashgiach: Moshe Molliou
Fresh baked challahs, breads, baked items. Pas Yisroel.

Kroger Toco Hills ~ 404-633-8694
2205 LaVista Road • Atlanta, GA 30329
Kosher Fish, Meat & Deli (Glatt), Parve Pas Yisroel Bakery
( Separate from the in store non-Kosher bakery)
Mashgiach: Rabbi Avraham Schwartz
Sun & Thurs 8 am-9 pm; Mon-Wed 8 am-8 pm; Fri 8 am-3

Publix SuperMarket ~ 404-638-6022
2969 North Druid Hills Rd., Atlanta, GA 30329
Mashgiach: Rabbi Dovid Schwartz and Rabbi Lew Weinrech
Glatt Kosher Meat & Fish dept , Deli, Sub Shop, Kosher Dairy and Kosher Parve Bakery

Quality Kosher Emporium ~ 404-636-1114
2153 Briarcliff Road • Atlanta, GA 30329 All Kosher Grocery, Bread, Meat, Deli,Takeout Glatt, Pas Yisroel; Delivery available.
Sun & Fri 7:30 am-3; Mon-Wed 7:30 am-6 ; Thurs 7:30 am-7pm
Catering also available.

Did a quick Google search and came up with this….. Call the store before you go.

[ 03-30-2006, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Lepke
03-30-2006, 03:37 PM
BTW Jason the bag of sugar in my closet says pure cane granulated sugar on it. The ingredients list just lists sugar. It's stop & shop brand.

[ 03-30-2006, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Jason Perlow
03-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Domino uses cane as well as sugar beets for their various products, other companies use sugar beets to make industrial sucrose. Beet sugar isn't usually sold in retail packaging, its used in the confectionary industry and for other things.

The tooling for using a sucrose-based liquid sweetner system in beverage manufacturing is also somewhat different than for cane syrup. I think its more compatible with what they already use for HFCS sweetner systems.

[ 03-30-2006, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Jason Perlow ]

Hollow Man
03-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Finally found some last night at the Stop and Shop in the Amity Plaza near Woodbridge, CT. In 2 liter bottles. I'm not a big cola fan, but I found this stuff light and smooth. Very cool.

-HM

Mr Zabe
03-31-2006, 08:32 AM
Hollow Man,
It's about time. smile.gif
Congrads, it's nice to hear that you enjoyed it.
It does taste much better than HFCS Coke.

Hollow Man
03-31-2006, 08:38 AM
It was definitely a very happy evening. I love a sucessful hunt! I'll have to set up a taste test between it and HFCS Coke.

My friend who was with me, who enjoys Coke quite a bit, definitely enjoyed it.

I should probably go back, stock up on it, and just give it away to people. Spread the joy, y'know?

-HM

Mr Zabe
03-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Cool...I like your idea of spreading some cane sugar Coke joy. I wish you could find the 6pk cans as they will last so much longer in storage.

I agree with you the hunt is better than the kill.
(Just speaking about soda pop hunting. LOL)

[ 03-31-2006, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hollow Man
03-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah, especially since I'm not a big cola drinker, cans would be a much better option for me. But you gotta take what you can get, right?

-HM

Mr Zabe
03-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Well said.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Kroger in Okemos, Michigan has a stack by the deli. Okemos is an eastern suburb of Lansing, MI.

99cents and produced at plant AX, Alexandria, VA if i am correct.

Zap
03-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Kroger in Columbus, OH (E Broad St) has a huge Passover section. I found lots of Coke 2L as well as some Dr. Brown's Marked K-P in 6pack cans. I picked up some Black Cherry, they also had Cream Soda, though a bit pricy at $4.59 for 6. That brings the total to 13 bottles, including one that I gave to a good friend! One bottle has already been emptied. smile.gif

The funniest thing I have seen in a while, this older woman was pushing her cart to the front of Kroger, and I swear she had about *20* bottles of Kosher Coke in it. I was seriously wondering if she or someone she knew was a soda fan.

Mr Zabe
03-31-2006, 07:49 PM
LOL...Just a large Sedar(spelling?) gathering. LOL

popologist
04-01-2006, 05:29 AM
does passover coke come in cans? and, if so, how do i know what to look for?

Mr Zabe
04-01-2006, 05:35 AM
I picked some KFP Coke Classic in the 12oz cans.
Look for Sucrose as the only sweetner. You may or may not see some Hebrew writing on top of the can. If you see HFCS in the ingredient list it is not KFP. I have not seen or heard of Pepsi KFP in the cans.

popologist
04-01-2006, 05:35 AM
for the "history" of passover coke, check out this link. ;)

http://www.ajhs.org/publications/chapters/chapter.cfm?documentID=270

but my question is... does this mean that there's a rabbi out there who knows the secret formula to coke?

popologist
04-01-2006, 08:49 AM
i tried one store in my neighborhood today, but they didn't have it, but it's a primarily latin grocery.

i'm going to try the bigger supermarket tomorrow. they have a large jewish clientele, so i might find it there.

Lepke
04-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by popologist:
for the "history" of passover coke, check out this link. ;)

http://www.ajhs.org/publications/chapters/chapter.cfm?documentID=270

but my question is... does this mean that there's a rabbi out there who knows the secret formula to coke? Great article! Thank you for posting it.

Mr Zabe
04-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Well there could be several Rabbi's who may need to know the ingredients but I will bet anything they do not know the amounts of the ingredients.

Besides ingredients it's how they are mixed and processed. Although your question would make a real cool fictional book or movie. Here is my title..."The Soda Pop Code Rabbi". LOL

[ 04-01-2006, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
04-01-2006, 09:14 AM
I think there should be a thread {Jewish contributions to the American beverage industry}

Mr Zabe
04-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Cool Idea.
My Grandpa owned an operated a number of neighborhood stores in the south side of Chicago back in the 1930 and 40's. He use to tell me all kinds of stories how he had to bribe various suppliers to get products to sell in his stores.

He said that each vendor had certain requirements on the side. LOL I found his stories to be fascinating.

Lepke
04-01-2006, 09:26 AM
I was thinking more in terms of Jews who started companies, invented drinks or flavors that were exclusive to the Jewish community that came become mainstream.

Hollow Man
04-01-2006, 09:35 AM
A side question - some web searching turned up the fact that KFP Coke is probably made with beet sugar, not cane. Anyone know for certain? And if so, what would be the taste difference?

-HM

Mr Zabe
04-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Lepke.
Gotch ya. There as you know are many examples of what your talking about. It would be fun to do some research on this topic and hear some family stories too.
Zabe

[ 04-01-2006, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

bigrich
04-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I doubt it is made with beet sugar. Many years ago KO had a contract with some beet farmers to use beet sugar. This was in North Dakota and it was marked on the containers. IIRC customers did not like the way it tasted. I believe I have seen one of the containers at one time.

[ 04-01-2006, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

Hollow Man
04-01-2006, 11:03 AM
The place I read this is in the responses here (http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/archives/2001/07/24/classic-coke-ptui/). A closer look makes me think the guy is confused. He says since the bottle says "sucrose" that it's beet sugar, but my understanding is that sucrose can be extracted from cane or beets.

-HM

POP
04-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I didn't care for beet sugar. I bought a bottle of Limonade(sp?), I was unable to finish the bottle.

The copacker's that facilitate sucrose have informed me that the sucrose they use is liquified "table sugar".

videoman
04-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Kroger Sandy Springs ~ 404-256-3434
227 Sandy Springs Place, Atlanta, GA 30328
Mashgiach: Moshe Molliou
Fresh baked challahs, breads, baked items. Pas Yisroel.

Did a quick Google search and came up with this….. Call the store before you go. SCORE!

Thank you so much. Found some Passover Coke at the Kroger listed above. Anybody in the Atlanta area looking for some should check them out, they still had about 100 2-liters left when I was there today. They're stacked up on a pallet near the produce section in the back part of the store with a sign on them saying "Coca-Cola for Passover" on the side.

Mr Zabe
04-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Outstanding find.
So how dose it taste?
Review please. smile.gif

videoman
04-01-2006, 06:08 PM
It's chilling in the fridge as we speak.
I'll try some later tonight when it's cold.

[ 04-01-2006, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: videoman ]

Synchronicitysix
04-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Cant find anywhere in Eastern MA, can anyone be of any assitance?

Lepke
04-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Where are you? Have you tried Google? Do you live near Jews?

Synchronicitysix
04-02-2006, 12:56 AM
Yeah visited the heaviest jewish community i knew and couldnt find it at the big grocery store in that town. I've seen it before in my area too I just havent seen it yet oddly.

Lepke
04-02-2006, 01:00 AM
The big supermarkets will have it. Break out the phone book. Call around. Let your fingers do the walking. I could try a Google search if I knew where you were. But you can do it as easy as I could.

AzRocks
04-02-2006, 01:49 PM
is there any differecne between KFP Diet Coke and Diet Sprite and Regular Diet Coke/Sprite?

Lepke
04-02-2006, 01:52 PM
AZ my friend…… it’s diet who cares???? No sugar…..,.

Mr Zabe
04-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Yes, KFP Diet Coke as been certified by a special Rabbi (both the physical plant/machinery and ingredients. Non KFP has not been certified and according to the laws of Kosher for Passover are not Kosher for observant Jews to drink during Passover.

Mr Zabe
04-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Lepke,
It does mater, diet soft drinks need to be certified for KFP. The machinery has to be cleaned in a special way to "burn" off the Chematz.

[ 04-02-2006, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Lepke
04-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Zabe I know it needs to be chumetz free to be KP I just meant who cares in here. I go to synagogue fairly regularly.

Mr Zabe
04-02-2006, 02:05 PM
No biggie, I was just reacting to his question.
I know that you know what's what. I thought he wanted to know the the difference and that is what I tried to say. ( I do see your point.)

Friends? smile.gif

AzRocks
04-02-2006, 03:01 PM
i know about the chometz thingy but i was just curious abiut the taste

Lepke
04-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Well I couldn’t tell you. I’d sooner drink water then any diet soda.

AzRocks
04-02-2006, 03:44 PM
lol same here

Mr Zabe
04-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Me too. :D

Lepke
04-03-2006, 12:13 AM
I am going through a 2 liter Pepsi a day. This is not good. But it taste so very good. How will I ever go back to HFCS? I guess I’ll have to lay off the Pepsi after it’s gone any way because my doctor is telling me the Pepsi is causing my kidney stones. But it’s sooo sooo sweet!!!

Mr Zabe
04-03-2006, 12:40 AM
I can relate. I'm getting spoiled. KFP Coke is awesome. I decided on only having 2 cans a day. I hope to find some after the holiday and buy as much as I can.

Lepke
04-03-2006, 01:09 AM
It’s hard to limit my consumption to lets say two twelve once servings a day. The bottle is already open in the refrigerator and loosing carbindyoxcide (sp). I just can’t let it go flat. That would be a sin. Such a holy beverage. It would be like some kind of blasphemy. Not only that ….. Don’t tell anyone but I think I hear it calling my name.

Mr Zabe
04-03-2006, 01:45 AM
So you are saying that you are powerless over open bottles of your Holy KFP Pepsi. smile.gif

Zap
04-03-2006, 05:14 AM
On the topic of KFP 2L bottles, does anyone know of an effective device to keep the soda from going flat so quickly? I just can't drink the 2L fast enough, even when sharing before it will inevitably go flat.

I have a cap that is better sealed, you screw it on and the top flips open and clicks shut. The problem is once the bottle is only partially full, it seems to get progressively worse! Do those pump caps work?

[ 04-03-2006, 05:15 AM: Message edited by: Zap ]

Hollow Man
04-03-2006, 08:21 AM
The only effective way to help keep carbonation is to transfer it all to a smaller soda bottle. This way there will be less air for the CO2 to escape into, thus, it will stay in the soda solution. The pumps really don't do anything except possibly slow down the process for a bit. But at some point the C02 will escape into the empty air that's in the bottle to reach an equilibrium.

Edit: And here (http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/acsdisplay.html?DOC=%5ceducation%5ccurriculum%5cch emmatters%5cfizz_0202.html) is a paper explaining the scientific basis behind equilibrium and why the pumps don't do anything to prevent this process from occurring.

-HM

[ 04-03-2006, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Hollow Man ]

Mr Zabe
04-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Also the material that is used to make the actual 2 ltr bottle will slowly leak CO2 gas over time. That's why there are shorter use by dates on 2 ltrs. I like cans, if I want I can save a few cans for 9 months or so in the fridge and they will taste as good as the day they were born.

[ 04-03-2006, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hollow Man
04-03-2006, 08:53 AM
'Tis very true. So if you could find some way to take your leftover 2 liter bottle and store it in an airtight can (good luck!) or glass bottle, that's much more preferable than a plastic bottle.

I usually use empty 8 oz. Wal-Mart brand plastic soda bottles for my leftovers (they're really cheap), but lately I've been considering moving to 10 oz. glass bottles of Canada Dry Tonic water (more expensive, but will do a better job of holding carbonation).

-HM

Mr Zabe
04-03-2006, 09:10 AM
I only buy the cheap two litters when I have a good urge to drink them in a day or so. I have been able to keep the cap on extra tight and finish drinking them 6 or 7 days later with pretty darn good carbonation. IMO the trick is to keep my fridge as cold as possible and put the 2ltr bottle in the coldest part as well.

Just my own insanity. LOL

Lepke
04-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Zabe you think you’re insane?
I have to wash my ice to reduce surface tension so the soda does not fizz up when it hits the ice and lose all it’s carbonation. This also helps to remove any freezer taste from the ice. And I will not use or even open a warm soda it must be good and cold before I pour it over the ice again to maintain carbonation. Not only that but it must be poured on a 90 degree angle to prevent fizz up.
My family and friends make fun of me all the time over this.

Hollow Man
04-03-2006, 09:39 AM
It fascinates me that you go through all those rituals and still use ice, which will dilute your soda.

-HM

Lepke
04-03-2006, 09:56 AM
I like my Pepsi slightly diluted I find it more refreshing. So it’s important to me not to waste any carbonation and be ice cold as to slow down both dilution and co2 loss.
Ok so I’m neurotic.

Mr Zabe
04-03-2006, 10:06 AM
All the sudden I don't feel as crazy. LOL
In all my travels I have never heard of the ice washing ritual. :D I too do the 90 degree glass tilt.LOL I too need all my soda pops to be ice cold with ice.

Hollow Man
04-03-2006, 10:10 AM
And I thought I was nuts because I put my leftover pop in smaller bottles to keep it carbonated.

Anyway, I just compiled all that information and put it up here (http://www.vaultkicks.org/vkb/?p=69) for all eternity. Note that I do indicate to pour the pop from one bottle into another carefully so you don't agitate it, heh.

-HM

Lepke
04-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Gregg, after reading your article on the vault blog I have come to the conclusion you are just as NUTZ as I am. smile.gif

Hollow Man
04-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Am I? Darn, I was hoping it wasn't true. tongue.gif

I admit there can't be too many people who are so fastidious about trying to drink only 12 oz. of soda a day, that they would go through the bother of buying 8 oz bottles so they'd have something to do with what's leftover from a 20 oz bottle...

It's why cans of VAULT can't show up soon enough in CT! I hate 20 oz. bottles!

-HM

Lepke
04-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Zabe fill your glass or what ever you drink your soda from with ice, then fill it with cold water from the tap. Now with your hand over the top of the glass drain the water out. Now pour the soda as you would on an angle. Drink and enjoy.

You want to reduce the surface tension of the ice. By doing this you prevent the ice from cracking or popping thus causing the soda to fizz up and reduce the level of carbonation.

[ 04-03-2006, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Mr Zabe
04-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Ok...I'll give your method a try. LOL
I'm always up for trying new things.
Maybe you could make an instructional video and sell it on early morning cable TV.

What would name your system?

Hollow Man
04-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I have a friend who does this too. Yes, seriously!

-HM

Lepke
04-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Actually I saw it like 20 years ago on the today show or good morning America. They were interviewing a scientist and he demonstrated this method explaining how it worked to keep the soda from foaming up.
Not only does it save the carbonation but also it removes the freezer taste as a bonus.

[ 04-03-2006, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Tannerman
04-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I just wanted to pass on my thanks to Mr Zabe in regards to the Hungarian Kosher recommendation in Skokie. Picked some stuff up today. Thanks!

Tannerman
04-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Here are some photos I took of a Passover Coke can I tracked down in the Chicago area:

http://steveandamysly.tannerworld.com/databank/2006/image_kosherforpassovercoke1.jpg

http://steveandamysly.tannerworld.com/databank/2006/image_kosherforpassovercoke2.jpg

http://steveandamysly.tannerworld.com/databank/2006/image_kosherforpassovercoke4.jpg

[ 04-08-2006, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Tannerman ]

Mr Zabe
04-03-2006, 05:27 PM
It was my pleasure to be of help.
Enjoy your KFP Coke. smile.gif

Mr Zabe
04-04-2006, 01:37 PM
I know I have posted this thought many times as have others. I just can't control myself. LMAO

KFP Coke is best ever mass market soda pop!
I just can't get over how smooth and great tasting it is IMO.

I just had a snack of low salt peanuts with a can of KFP. OMG...what a combination! Lord have mercy.LOL

Lepke
04-04-2006, 08:47 PM
I went to my local stop and shop supermarket today for a regular food shopping. I also needed some delicious and refreshing Pepsi cola. When I got there I found 2 liter bottles were on sale for 79 cents. They had tons of it in displays all over the store. But of all the Pepsi in the store only 10 bottles were KP. I bought 6. They had about 20 KP diet Pepsi 2 liters, not that it maters. It is diet after all. No KP soda of any other kind was in this store. No KP coke, doctor browns or any thing. This really pissed me off and if I weren’t with my wife and 3 year old I’d have taken the time to complain.

I hope you folks don’t mind I just needed to vent.

Zap
04-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Out of curiosity, can any of the Chicago folk tell me where I can find 6 packs of cans on Friday in the evening? (Meaning, places that will be open, and still have stock). I will be passing through Chicago on a trip up to Milwaukee and would appreciate locations closest to I-94/294 or the Skyway. I will alter my route in order to get some! I would like Coke AND 7up if possible, and 50/50 would be great (if KP exists, like I have read somewhere??)

Thanks!! smile.gif

Rob The SURGE Drinker
04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
i have no idea, ask zabe or one of the other chicagolanders. but, have fun in wisconsin, the cheese heads welcome you!

Lepke
04-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Well you are not going to get it at a kosher store on a Friday night.
You will have to find it in a supermarket.

01GTB
04-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Has anyone here had any luck finding KFP Coke in Florida, at all?

Mr Zabe
04-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Zap,I would stop off at the Jewel in Glenview IL. Here is a link to help you find it. The Jewel Food Stores in Glenview and Northbrook cater to a very large Jewish community. Another store would be Sunset Foods. You will have to Google for that one. I would call these stores first to check. Good Luck. smile.gif

Jewel North Shore KFP Soda Pop (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?addtohistory=&address=2775%20Pfingsten%20Rd&city=Glenview&state=IL&zipcode=60026%2d1198&country=US&geodiff=1)

DJ HawaiianShirt
04-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Coming out of a market today, I passed a Coke distributor near his truck. He knew nothing about Passover Coke.

I also asked my friend in Bethesda to check a local Giant for any, and there was none. He says he thinks it's because many of the Jews in Bethesda are reformed and relgiously liberal, having no need to stay kosher, thereby creating no demand.

DJHS

SplitLevelP
04-05-2006, 12:41 AM
It's offical my favorite time of year to drink coke is here.Tonight I found a 2 liter bottle of Coke with a yellow cap with a label that said sucrose.I found it at South Utica Price Chopper.

Doug
04-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Anyone know of any in the Philly/Wilmington area?

Doug
04-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Coca Cola Kosher for Passover (OU-P) will be available from Coke’s bottlers in the New York Metropolitan Area, Boston, Baltimore-Washington, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Philadelphia and Los Angeles. In New York, Coca Cola will be distributed in 2-liter bottles and in cans with other locations having a more limited variety. Most of the bottlers will use a special yellow cap for its OU-P products.

So it is available in Philly somewhere, just where?

01GTB
04-05-2006, 01:31 AM
Ok, so Miami is in there. Last weekend I notified a friend of mine, who heads down that way about once every month or so, to keep and eye out for it. I'll call him back and tell him he should be able to find some if he looks hard enough smile.gif

AzRocks
04-05-2006, 07:15 PM
DJ, im almost positive that they have KFP Coke in DC, or in the surrounding areas... keep looking

orangehole
04-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Doug:
Anyone know of any in the Philly/Wilmington area? Yes Doug, You are in luck. On RT 202 across from the Concord mall is a ShopRite that has the 2L passover coke. It is in the passover isle with some passover sprite as well. I did notice some of the coke was mixed in the regular coke section as well. I didnt see any cans, just 2L. I bought about 10 bottles since it's only once a year. It does taste better than the version we normally drink. Look for the yellow caps on the bottles with the hebrew writing!!

Doug
04-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by orangehole:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Doug:
Anyone know of any in the Philly/Wilmington area? Yes Doug, You are in luck. On RT 202 across from the Concord mall is a ShopRite that has the 2L passover coke. It is in the passover isle with some passover sprite as well. I did notice some of the coke was mixed in the regular coke section as well. I didnt see any cans, just 2L. I bought about 10 bottles since it's only once a year. It does taste better than the version we normally drink. Look for the yellow caps on the bottles with the hebrew writing!! </font>[/QUOTE]Kick ass man, I actually have to head down that way tonight (going to Best Buy), thanks again, I hope they still have some left by the time I get there...

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Ooooh I finally saw Kosher Cokes in ShopLocal...

http://akimages.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_li/200.0.88.0/Retailers/Albertsons/060331_SC_3_A_31.JPG

In Las Vegas Albertson's... 2 for $3 (card price)...

More info here... (http://www.shoplocal.com/lid-2095328056prid-99868_-coke-all.fp)

So that means that the girl that appears in the Coca-Cola USA Website has a kosher Coke in her hand??

www.cocacola.com/usa (http://www.cocacola.com/usa)

[ 04-06-2006, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

Lepke
04-06-2006, 09:49 PM
2 for 3 is a lot of money for 2 liter bottles. Here when it’s on sale it is $1.00 or less. Every week the stores alternate one week coke one week Pepsi. If some of the stores have coke on sale then others will have Pepsi on sale.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Another question... the Kosher Coke is only seasonal or is permanent?

BTW... Mexican Coca-Cola products and other sodas are allowed and certified, according to this site:

http://kosher.com.mx/pmarcas.php?opcion=217&seleccion=ok

[ 04-06-2006, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

Mr Zabe
04-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Ditto
At least in my part of Chicago I can not recall in the past 8 years ever paying full price for any soda pop(size and brand).

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-06-2006, 10:10 PM
MrZ. sorry for my ignorance, but... what's Ditto?

Mr Zabe
04-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Ditto =
I agree with your thoughts.
I share your point of view.
{I'll have a ham and cheese sandwich. :D }

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Good! Thanks! :D

BTW, that makes me want to go to my kitchen to make me a sandwich with ham, cheese, cream... mmm...sandwich... my daily dinner tongue.gif

Lepke
04-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Ramón Cokeaholic,

As far as I know coke and Pepsi are kosher at all the bottling plants in the United States all year round. I could be wrong; maybe it’s not kosher in Utah.

Kosher for Passover is a whole other story.

Passover is a Jewish holiday that comes every year and lasts a week. At that time most Jews may not eat corn products (among other things) so that’s why we get the sugar product.

Being in Mexico and having real sugar all the time there you need not concern your self about it.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Wow! thanks for the information...well... in fact I'm catholic... so there's no problem, but I didn't know about Passover and I didn't know that jewish people don't eat corn, I had curiosity about the Passover and it's good to know about other religions and to know what things are important for the jewish religion smile.gif

[ 04-06-2006, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

Zap
04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Zabe,

Thanks for the info! smile.gif I will hopefully find some in my travels tomorrow. I plan on calling the stores during the day to make sure they still have stock, and I'll pick up at least a few 6-packs. Do they only have KP Coke in Chicago? I know the store in Cincinnati got their Coke and 7Up from NYC, but they charged $4.50 per 6-pack because of that!!

Lepke
04-08-2006, 05:17 PM
For more on Passover Coke, be sure to listen to this interesting NPR broadcast from 2004.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1832301

Mr Zabe
04-08-2006, 05:28 PM
ZAP,
I do not know for sure but I'm guessing that KFP Pepsi is also available in Chicago.

Lepke
04-08-2006, 05:53 PM
For those of you looking for KP Pepsi but are not sure if you have found it here is how you tell.
The cap is white and just has a simple KP on it. Regular kosher Pepsi will just have a K.

Thus far I’m only to finding 2 liter KP Pepsi.

You better hurry up Passover starts Wednesday night, April 12th at sundown and lasts a week. After that you will be very lucky to find any KP soda. Although in last year I did see KP coke and Pepsi being delivered to some C-stores till June. Funny but they didn’t bring them any during Passover. And most of the kosher Jewish supermarkets in Lakewood New Jersey seemed to still have an ample supply till June as well.

One more thing. Any supermarket manager who wont order it for you is a NAZI and you need to tell him/her so. Be vocal, yell and scream, make noise and be sure to scream that they are anti-Semites.

Good hunting.

Lepke
04-08-2006, 09:08 PM
http://www.jewfaq.org/graphics/kfp.gif http://www.jewfaq.org/graphics/kfphecksher.gif

popologist
04-09-2006, 07:51 AM
does passover coke really taste that much different?!?

i need to know. i'm going to go look for it this morning. hopefully there's some left.

do they sell it in 12 packs? or do i have to buy a 2-liter?

Mr Zabe
04-09-2006, 08:12 AM
YES!!!!!

IMO Coke Classic KFP tastes way better than Classic Coke sweetened with HFCS. If you really enjoy Coke you must try KFP Coke. KFP Coke has a real smooth sweetness to it. I find it very satisfying.

I have only seen 2lts and 6pks of cans. I have not seen KFP Pepsi by my parts. If you can find it buy as much as you can as when you taste it you will be glad you did so.

Lepke
04-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Last night I went to the shoprite in Lakewood NJ, where they have the huge kosher section and where all the ultra orthodox Jews shop.

Nether coke nor Pepsi were on sale. I asked the store manager about this and he assured me Pepsi would be on sale starting today.
I also asked him if he was aware of the sugar/ corn syrup thing at Passover. He was obviously Hispanic and I figured he would not know, but he did. He told me after 25 years in the business he knew all about it. Then related stories of people filling shopping carts with KP soda. People who he said he didn’t think were Jews. About how every year people call to ask if KP sodas are there yet? And how after Passover people will come in looking for KP soda left overs.

I was hoping to pick up some KP coke as I have not had any this year. But at $1.49 my wife said NO. She said I could come back tomorrow and get the Pepsi when it’s on sale and that we were not going to pay $1.49 for something we could get for 79¢ the next day.
The Pepsi was $1.49 as well. I’ll have to go to another store where the 2-liter coke is on sale and hope they have some KP.

Thus far my wife has only let me buy at most six 2-liter bottles at a single shopping trip. But I explained to her that I needed to stock up because it will be gone soon, so she is going to allow me to “stock up”. I’m not sure what that means yet but I’ll try to get as many as she will let me get.

You see people; in a Jewish home the wife is the boss.

She did let me buy one 2-liter bottle of be’er mayim kosher soda. It was $1.99 a bottle and she limited me to just 1. I had a choice of cola, Lemon, black cherry, orange, root beer and half and half a grapefruit/lemon soda. All with real sugar
I got the half and half. And guess what? It’s good stuff.

They also had doctor browns cream and black cherry KP in 1 liter bottles for $1.29. But the wife said no way as it was only 1 liter and 2 liters of Pepsi would be 79¢ the next day.

BOY AM I WHIPPED.

Mr Zabe
04-09-2006, 01:13 PM
You are whipped and loving it. LOL
Your lucky to have a wife who can manage your money so well. smile.gif I bet you have a little "pushke" on the side. LOL

AzRocks
04-09-2006, 01:49 PM
translation: "pushke"= charity box

Mr Zabe
04-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Pushke as used by my parents meant a little bit of mad money that they kept secret from each other.

Pushke also can mean a communal pot of money that everyone contributes to. Like taking a road trip with frinds,we would kick in $20 each for gas and beers.

Lepke
04-09-2006, 04:05 PM
I’m tellin ya, I’m gonna collect up some information on Jewish constitutions to the beverage industry and start a thread. Maybe even a web site.

If I ever get around to it and if my wife lets me.

[ 04-09-2006, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Lepke ]

Mr Zabe
04-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Lepke, I know you would do a great job with a web site. Your heart is in it and that's what makes anything great. You got my support. smile.gif

[ 04-09-2006, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

01GTB
04-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Mr. Zabe, I didn't get a chance to go back and read through here again, but did you say you have KFP cans up in your neck of the woods?

Mr Zabe
04-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Yes,
I brought some at Jewel Foods (Albertsons). I have not been out of my house for over a week so I do not know availability. My guess is that there is still some available. I paid $2.29 per six pack. It was well worth the money. KFP Coke rocks. smile.gif

AzRocks
04-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Lepke, I know you would do a great job with a web site. Your heart is in it and that's what makes anything great. You got my support. smile.gif good luck lepke!

Lepke
04-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Ok. The shoprite by me now has the KP coke in cans. The price is $3.39 for a six-pack. The wife told me if I wanted it I had to put back 4 bottles of KP Pepsi. Needless to say even I wont pay $3.39 for a six-pack when regular coke 12 packs are on sale for $2.00.
The 2-liter KP cokes were still $1.49 and there were hardly any left. They must have more in the back or coming this week.

The KP coke cans were on a full pallet with only 1 six pack taken out. I think no one wants to pay that much.

Mr Zabe
04-09-2006, 08:51 PM
I wonder how that store can keep it's customers.
$3.99 for a 6 pack is outrageous.

Lepke
04-09-2006, 09:39 PM
it was $3.39 not $3.99 but thats bad enough.

Mr Zabe
04-09-2006, 10:16 PM
LOL...either way that price is way out of line; can we say gauging?

fusion
04-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Actually, $3.39 is around the average non-sale price for a six pack of 12 ounce cans at a chain store.

We are usually around $2.99 - but the only six pack we regularly carry is TaB.

mattgs0
04-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks Lepke. I found the KP Coke in the Kroger in Sandy Springs. I looked around and could not find any cans. I still bought about ten 2-liters though :D

AzRocks
04-10-2006, 01:59 PM
if anyone is still looking for KFP Coke then remember that passover starts wednesday at sundown so it will start to be harder to find pretty soon. in about 2-3 weeks everything will be gone!

Zap
04-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Many thanks to Mr Zabe!!! smile.gif I stopped at the other Jewel in the area(called and the first store said "only 2Ls".) When I got there, I found the Passover section and there were tons of cans of Coke, as well as the 2L of Pepsi. The 2L were 88 cents or so, and the 6-packs about $2.25 ea, so I am now stocked up and going to try the KP Pepsi in a few days!

Thanks again! smile.gif