PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Mist in 92% of country?

teamtitan512
06-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Can anyone tell me the 8% of the country who is blessed with the fact this awful product doesn't take up valuable shelf space?

The only place I can think of here is where an independent Pepsi bottler around Harrisonburg and Staunton, VA held on to 7-Up, but the DPSU bottler who controls Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew (but not RC) picked up Sierra Mist. It's universally available everywhere I've been in PA, MD, WV and VA.

karks88
06-03-2003, 04:56 PM
I've seen it everywhere I go, but then again I never leave town ;)

teamtitan512
06-03-2003, 11:19 PM
You live in Central PA right?

Harrisburg/York/Lancaster was one of the first places to see Sierra Mist in the country, as 7Up rights belong to Davis in that part of the country.

bigrich
06-03-2003, 11:54 PM
You cannot buy Sierra Mist in Broward and Palm Beach Counties in Florida. Also, I believe in downstate Illinois, Pepsi-Cola Marion does not have Sierra Mist.

bigrich
06-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Pepsi did a better job with Teem and Storm. Teem never went nationwide. Both tasted much better than Mist.

SURGE
06-04-2003, 01:18 AM
ahhh Storm the flavor was so-so but the concept was cool sorta like the anti-7up, caffinated lemon lime.

karks88
06-04-2003, 09:27 AM
I only had storm one time, I wasn't too impressed with it but maybe my memory of it is a little hazy!

We actually had Sierra Mist here in the original packaging and I guess they redesigned it once it started to go national. I think we first got it in 2000 or 2001?

teamtitan512
06-04-2003, 06:51 PM
I remember that original packaging, it looked so much like a generic soda. I figured when they changed the logo soon after to the current one that sales were doomed and that it would be short lived. Guess not...

So Marion, IL Pepsi has what for a lemon lime? Still 7Up?

bigrich
06-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Marion Pepsi serves parts of five states. They sell 7-Up in parts of that territory. Their website is http://www.fizzbizz.com

Shatter
06-05-2003, 02:09 AM
I just checked out their web site. They actually bottle Caffeine Free Mountain Dew! I thought that was only available in Canada. And with all of Pepsi and Dr Pepper/7up's products at their disposal, they choose Orange Crush as their company's orange soda. Nice.

Terry K
06-05-2003, 02:36 AM
The entire state of Wyoming is a No-Mist area. Worland/Fremont/Admiral sells 7up in all of Wyoming and I do not know of any Sierra Mist there. I'm not even sure in Western Nebraska if you can get a SM since I recall seeing 7up there still

SURGE
06-05-2003, 10:54 AM
yeh we have CF-Dew here

fusion
06-05-2003, 11:01 AM
CF Dew is also available in the southern part of PA, west of Philadelphia (I usually see it in Lancaster).

I myself liked Storm, and was sad to see it go. It was similar to Sprite, but had that caffeine kick, and wasn't as syrupy sweet as Sprite. They dumped it all at a $1 store around here after it died.

teamtitan512
06-05-2003, 05:53 PM
CF Mountain Dew appears every once in a while here in PBG territory. CF Diet does as well.

fizzbizz
06-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Titan, here's a few Pepsi bottlers who still sell 7 Up. Buffalo Rock, G&J Pepsi in Lexington KY., Central Investments in Florida, PepsiAmericas in Puerto Rico, Vecchie Group in Florida and Illinois, Tenney in Newburgh NY., Brown Bottling in Mississippi, Gulport MS., Corbin KY. I know there are others but this should be a good sample.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-06-2003, 12:27 AM
i bet pepsi of corbin, kentucky still bottles 7Up and dr pepper.

good for the independents! usually they do a better job with these products anyway. i'd love to see an american orange crush bottle by pepsi.

when i was in utah (salt lake city, park city and alta) i went to a gas station (swire coke territory) and pepsi had hawaiian punch, country time, a&w, 7Up, dr pepper, sunkist and more. seems like they really didn't trust anything by pepsi besides pepsi and mountain dew

cf mt dew has been out in michigan for years.
no biggie.

it's unique in canada that you will be able to find caffeine free code red mountain dew, and caffeine free mountain dew live wire.

as well as caffeine free barq's root beer.

fusion
06-06-2003, 01:26 AM
Pepsi of Salisbury, Maryland also has franchise rights to a lot of DPSU brands, though they did drop 7-UP last year. They have Country Time, HP, and a few others. They also sell Pennsylvania Dutch, which is usually aligned with C-D dists in this area (Davis, Canada Dry Honickman)

teamtitan512
06-06-2003, 08:41 PM
In Canada, it's illegal for non-colas to have caffeine, therefore caffeine free Dew, Code Red, and LiveWire.

Pepsi seems weaker in the South and West, but seems to have amazing lineups! What's the ginger ale in Utah? I was figuring from the looks of that it is probably Canada Dry. Only thing is I thought Dr Pepper was a Swire Coke product there, along w/Squirt. PBG controls the Northeast primarily, and doesn't seem to care here where they do better than in other regions. They just pitched 7Up like it was the generic crap they're selling now.

It must suck to be an RC or third tier bottler in Utah. I bet they see a lot of Crush, Hires, Vernor's, Tahitian Treat, and that stuff most of the country never gets to see.

fizzbizz
06-06-2003, 10:30 PM
"Run", Pepsi Marion IL. and Pepsi americas in New Orleans still sell a lot of Crush. I still think that DPSU should sell the Crush TM to Pepsi. Either that or Pepsi should drop Slice and take the Crush line from DPSU to compete against Fanta.

Terry K
06-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
In Canada, it's illegal for non-colas to have caffeine, therefore caffeine free Dew, Code Red, and LiveWire.

Pepsi seems weaker in the South and West, but seems to have amazing lineups! What's the ginger ale in Utah? I was figuring from the looks of that it is probably Canada Dry. Only thing is I thought Dr Pepper was a Swire Coke product there, along w/Squirt. PBG controls the Northeast primarily, and doesn't seem to care here where they do better than in other regions. They just pitched 7Up like it was the generic crap they're selling now.

It must suck to be an RC or third tier bottler in Utah. I bet they see a lot of Crush, Hires, Vernor's, Tahitian Treat, and that stuff most of the country never gets to see.Actually...The 7up Bottler in Utah is Fremont/Admiral Beverages of Wyoming. They have a nice facility in Ogden that runs 7up, and a lot of the third tier products.

F/A has one of the most impressive lineups I've ever seen. The only Pepsi Product they have is Pepsi and Mt Dew (and their spinoffs). NO other PEPSI brand is sold by them. Everything else is DP/SU oriented. (Eg, they sell Squirt, Sunkist, A&W, Crush in some areas, Hawaiian Punch, etc..)

As for what they sell in 7up territory, I am guessing its primarily the major DPSU brands, and were the first to launch 7up in Fridge Packaging.

They have three Plant codes, WF, WY, and UT. The UT facility also does the specialty stuff for F/A including Pepsi Blue and Mr. Green.

Its worth noting they make the absolute BEST pepsi I've ever had :D

teamtitan512
06-08-2003, 02:02 AM
BTW, I thought it should be added that the name of that independent Pepsi bottler above is Pepsi Shenandoah Valley.

They have an interesting product lineup, w/all the Pepsi extensions, Sun Drop, 7Up, NuGrape, Slice, Mug, and I think Schweppes. They don't have Pepper or Mountain Dew rights (DPSU does in this region). DPSU has Dr Pepper, Mountain Dew, Sierra Mist, A&W, Sunkist, and Canada Dry. RC is a separate entity, and they have Cheerwine. I believe that's Blue Ridge Bottling for the RC. Coke is Central, and looks just like the stores here.