PDA

View Full Version : the pepsi logo...

popologist
01-21-2006, 05:48 AM
what's that yin-yang-looking logo thing for pepsi called? and where did it come from?

i remember in the ol' days, pepsi used to use four colors... red, white, navy blue and light blue on their packaging.

somewhere a long the way... it seems that the two blues merged into a new, "electric" blue color.

anyway... any info on the round logo thing?

the saint
01-21-2006, 06:03 AM
the Pepsi Globe

SamC
01-21-2006, 07:31 AM
As I understand it, the shape was simply originally a circle, its the bottlecap. Originally Pepsi bottle caps were green, but they changed to the red and blue in the 30s.

When PepsiCo was founded in the mid-60s, the corporate symbol was the Pepsi circle drawn to look 3D, like a sphere, with a grid of longatude and latitude lines drawn on to make it look like a globe. A few years ago the corporate symbol was changed to a sphere made up of multi-colored lines, one color for each main division.

In the mid-90s the bottle symbol was redrawn to likewise look sphere like, although without the grid.

It is properly trademarked as the "Pepsi globe".

Back in the 30s, nobody associated with Pepsi had ever heard of ying-yang, and Pepsi has had various internet rumors and urban legends relative to the symbol and its supposed religious origins, similar to the Scamway spread rumors about the moon and stars at P&G.

popologist
01-21-2006, 07:55 AM
their logo has definitely improved over the years. it was pretty stodgy until the 90s.

also, i couldn't help but notice that the "pepsi globe" seems to have something rather similar to the "coca-cola wave" right through the middle of it. ;)

my favorite pepsi logo was the diet pepsi logo of the late 80s... that sort of looked like the at&t logo. i thought it was a cool "interpretation" of the original logo.

[ 01-21-2006, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

popologist
01-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by SamC:
As I understand it, the shape was simply originally a circle, its the bottlecap. Originally Pepsi bottle caps were green, but they changed to the red and blue in the 30s.

i wonder if the switch to red, white & blue was due to "patriotism"... because of World Wars and stuff.

SamC
01-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
i wonder if the switch to red, white & blue was due to "patriotism"... because of World Wars and stuff. Don't know. I do know that the red circle on Lucky Strike pack (then a super popular brand) was green, but was changed during WWII because something in the green dye was needed for the war. The motto was "Green Luckies have gone to war." But the companies gave away Luckies to servicemen who got used to the red packs and they never switched back.

There also was beer brand, which you still see around now and then, called "Red, White and Blue", which attempted to pick up drinkers truned off by all those German and German sounding names.

popologist
01-21-2006, 03:03 PM
thanks SamC. interesting stuff. smile.gif

DJ HawaiianShirt
01-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Pepsi changed their overall color to blue in the mid 90s so as to distinguish themselves from Coke.

And it's worked. Nowadays, red cans bring to mind Coke and blue cans bring to mind Pepsi. Visceral and subconcious association is a powerful thing for marketing, which is why companies who have TV commercials tend to have very catchy and memorable jingles and catch phrases, like the Yahoo! yodel or the "Obey your thirst" motto for Sprite.

SEV smile.gif

fusion
01-22-2006, 03:19 AM
Sometimes we even refer to Pepsi as "blue" or "big blue." Or I'll call them the blue guys.

You get the idea.

SamC
01-22-2006, 07:40 AM
According to a "trivia" quiz on the Pepsi website, the Pepsi color changed from green to RW&B in 1941, so popologist's theory seems likely true.

I also read that Coca-Cola has been involved with the Olympics since the 20s. Even in pre-WWII Europe where colas were not popular (the only Euro country where Coke had real success pre-war was Germany). Even in the 1980 event in Moscow, where Coke was not normally available. So when the Olympics were held in Atlanta in 1996 the little irritating mascot character was unveiled and it was mostly BLUE. In KO's home town. The KO people was very insulted.

popologist
01-22-2006, 08:30 AM
well, coca-cola's red logo is much more "iconic" than pepsi's blue one. coke has "embellished" its logo a bit... here and there... but, basically, it's been the same for a century. pepsi's has changed several times over... in just a few decades.

also, coca-cola is loved (and despised) all over the world as a symbol of "america" (more so than pepsi). it is... THE "universal" symbol of capitalism. which is why it was unpopular in the soviet union, but... rapidly popular in the new russian republic.

ramonazo
01-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Coca-Cola always made use and transformation of the traditional spencerian script
http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/brands/0008/9875/brand.gif
while Pepsi almost don't make use of their first script (with the exception of "Holiday Spice" and the glass that appeared in the "it's the cola" print ads:
http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/brands/0001/9933/brand.gif

[ 01-22-2006, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

popologist
01-22-2006, 04:52 PM
no offense to pepsi drinkers, but... it's such an obvious, and inferior knock-off of the coca-cola logo.

halloaaryn
01-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by popologist:
no offense to pepsi drinkers, but... it's such an obvious, and inferior knock-off of the coca-cola logo. Excuse me? Pepsi doesnt even use the same font! Cokes is in sursive. Look at *ALL* logos from that time period (not just soda companies). They ALL LOOKED LIKE THAT!!!!!!! That was the typical design of the TIME PERIOD.

There is more to life than "copying" Coke.

popologist
01-23-2006, 01:20 PM
is that the logo for "crystal pepsi"? ;)

Android
01-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Okay I gotta chime in, being a Pepsi fan and collector much more so than Coke.

The above comparison between the Coke script and the Pepsi script logos isn't very fair, as Pepsi only started using that one in particular in 1951. (and Ramón, you cheated by "tilting" the Pepsi logo - shame! ;) ) Prior to 1951 Pepsi used a similar but blockier looking script that dated to like around 1906.

The red/white/blue "yin yang" was indeed a patriotic addition to the bottle cap. However Pepsi did not only just use that kind of "yin-yang" design on the caps, they used them in a "Flag" and an "Oval" variation as well when used in other locations than bottle caps, and those were often in black and white on their printed ads and Point of Purchase items.

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/DDPepsiOval..jpg

I'm also fairly certian that Pepsi phased in the red/white/light blue packaging in the mid 70's as leadup to the Bicentennial, where it seemed EVERYTHING was in those colors. (I remember they painted the fire hydrants in my hometown red white and blue for the bicentennial.)

Pepsi has always been about looking forward, not backward, in its marketing. (which is why I was very surprised to see the script logo in the Holiday Spice packaging) Back when returnable bottles were in, it was hard to afford to make huge changes quickly, like they can do today with so much more disposable items. Still Pepsi did phase out the white/red script logo on their returnable bottles by around 1978. I think it was in the mid 70's that Pepsi first used a "globe" all by itself - occasionally you'd see returnable bottles with a "fill line" under the bottle cap, and on rare bottles you will see these as little Pepsi globes. However, except for that one instance that I know of, it wasn't until the big logo change in 1991 that Pepsi moved their name out of the center of the "yin-yang" and made it into a globe. Which overall was part of a poor logo change, as they dropped the light blue color from their logo at that time, so it was red, white and dark blue - almost Coke colors. I was very glad when they went back to a lighter blue background for their logo in the late 90s.

I think my favorite Pepsi logo through the years was the one they went to when they first started moving away from the script logo. That was in around 1962, where they put the large PEPSI in block letters inside the bottle cap motif, and they only used it like this for about 3 years:

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/1962Pepsi.jpg

-Andy

popologist
01-24-2006, 11:35 AM
thanks for the history lesson, andy. always interesting to hear how these things happen.

question: has pepsi always been #2 to coke... or was RC (or someone else) ever #2?

ramonazo
01-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Andy, the Coke and Pepsi logo I posted are from a website called "Best Brands of the World" where you can download logos that you can use in CorelDRAW...

BTW, what's tilting? :confused:

popologist
01-24-2006, 01:52 PM
the pepsi script you posted was slanting (leaning) more than the one that andy posted. clearly, the pepsi script changed over the years (to look even more like coke's). ;)

ramonazo
01-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Oh, now I got it smile.gif .

Now that we are talking about the Pepsi logo, this one was the best of all IMO...

http://www.iscollection.jp/image6784.jpg

That logo makes me remember my childhood...

[ 01-24-2006, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

the saint
01-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Whatever you think guy.

Android
01-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Sorry Ramón, I didn't check the URL of the logos you posted above for that Pepsi one. It's obviously been slanted/tilted, just look at the "R" for the Registered trademark.

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/PepsiOval1958.jpg

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/OldPepsi6pack.jpg

That last one you put up, that was the "bookend" logo, that was phased in during the early 70's and by 1973 was the "official" Pepsi logo. It was modified in the late 80's by making the "E" and "S" curvier. That is my second favorite logo, it's a "happier" logo, the letters are freindlier, and fit thematically inside the globe better. It was that later lettering, that they italisized in 1991, that lasted til a couple of years ago when the current "spiked" P's and E were adopted.

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/PepsiBookend1973.jpg

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/PepsiBookend1987.jpg

-Andy

SamC
01-24-2006, 09:16 PM
As I understand the story, Coke sued Pepsi over the script trademarks in Ontario back in the 1930s. Coke lost and appealed the matter. In those days the highest court in Canada was not in Canada, but in London, the Privy Counsel, which was the supreme court not only for the UK but for the Commonwealth and Empire as well.

So the case works its way to London, where, at the time, cola was not sold. So the Lord Chancelor, who hated cases from "colonials" holds the two logos upside down to see if "a person who was illiterate would be confused". He decided that the two were different enough to not be trademark infringement. This established the law thoughout the British Empire, which was one-third of the world, and that was the end of the litigation.

Android
01-24-2006, 10:18 PM
I'd heard that story before too, but can't recal if I'd heard the details about the judge, interesting. One thing, I thought that Coke was attacking more than just the trademark as well, but the very use of "cola" as part of the name. Coke was able to force numerous other cola manufacturers out of business in the early part of the century by attacking the trademarks and "cola" specifically.

andy

popologist
01-24-2006, 11:05 PM
the pepsi logo has come a longgggg way since the early days.