PDA

View Full Version : Tried Cherry Vanilla and Diet CV DP

chrisok
09-22-2004, 04:29 PM
They are giving out free mini cans of both flavors at the State Fair of OK this year. The regular Cherry Vanilla has just a slight taste of cherry and vanilla, but it's pretty natural tasting. The Diet version is really good. I don't like Diet DP much, but the CV flavor really masks the aftertaste. I will probably have to go back to fair just to stock up on these. Good job DPSU.

DPDude
09-22-2004, 04:44 PM
According to the DPSU consumer affairs hotline Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper, along with the diet variety, is slated for release on October 15th in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, parts of Missouri and parts of Louisiana.

The rep I spoke with also told me that Red Fusion is still being produced and that there are no current plans to discontinue the product.

mjb1124
09-22-2004, 05:01 PM
Why the heck aren't they releasing this nationally?

Robot
09-22-2004, 05:17 PM
dammit i want to try this now!!!

and not sure what they are talking about red fusion.. in central IL its NOWHERE to be found, and in chicagoland, you can find 20oz bottles from like a year ago still, and cans are getting harder and harder to find.

Robot
09-22-2004, 05:42 PM
chrisok, any chance you could get an image of the cans and post it up here or email it to me?

also, what is the logo like? is it a better flavor than red fusion?

BevNET
09-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Check the homepage of the site for an image of the product...

They are only releasing the diet variety Nationwide (starting in Jan)...Regular will supposedly be available for 75 days to coincide with a major promotion that Dr Pepper is going. Either way, DPSU is fully expecting this to be a limited run product...recognizing that other flavor extensions (Red Fusion, Vanilla Coke, Pepsi Blue, etc) have limited lifespans.

The flavor is better (in my opinion) than Red Fusion and the "Fountain Classics" image will have appeal to consumers who look at Dr Pepper as a nostalgic brand. Personally, I'd still take a Dublin Dr Pepper over Cherry Vanilla smile.gif

Robot
09-22-2004, 08:40 PM
so diet wont stick around if it does well?

i thought vanilla coke/diet vanilla coke was still around and doing pretty well?

so is red fusion sticking around or what?

thats too bad the regular will only have limited distribution, i'd like to try it, even though I am mainly interested in the diet for regular consumption.

Robot
09-22-2004, 08:43 PM
oh i see, regular WILL be available nationwide but only for about 2-3 months... good good..

also, any idea what the future flavors will be?

chrisok
09-22-2004, 11:57 PM
Jimmy, I'll post a picture of the 8 oz cans as soon as I can, but they do look like the bottles on the homepage. I tried another can of the regular tonight after it chilled properly. Man, it was even better the second time. It's not that it tastes that great going down, although it's still pretty good. It's got an aftertaste that's awesome. They were guarding them pretty closely, but I'll see if I can obtain more for some of you guys.

The Great Plains Coke guy said it will be out Oct. 11 all over OK.

mjb1124
09-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Oh, okay. Thank goodness I'm not getting completely deprived.

Robot
09-23-2004, 01:13 AM
chrisok, thanks man!

if you happen to get more, and could get me a can of regular and diet, please let me know, i'd pay for shipping, i'd love to try it!

Coke04
09-23-2004, 03:09 PM
So will Diet be around for than 2-3 months?

badrocket
09-23-2004, 07:07 PM
so does the diet version of this use aspartame like normal diet dp?

chrisok
09-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Yes it does.

Robot
09-24-2004, 01:14 PM
it appears this will be around for approximately 6 months in diet form, and 3 months in regular form nationwide... so mid 2005 it will end.. it launches a bit earlier in a few select areas so youll get a couple extra months..

and then it will apparently be a cinnamon flavored dr pepper.. yummy!

Coke04
09-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks. Hope there's a diet cinnamon.

Robot
09-24-2004, 09:43 PM
i cant imagine they wont... they said they are pushing out the diet cherry vanilla for longer than the regular cherry vanilla.. so my guess is that each flavors "diet" will be the bigger seller/pushed.

cant wait for both!

will stock up on red fusion if they start to cancel it, i love the stuff.. wish they made a diet red fusion though.

Coke04
09-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Yeah, Red Fusion is still around here-- 12 packs are everywhere, and 2Ls to an extent. To bad I hate it.

Robot
09-26-2004, 12:09 AM
you HATE red fusion?! i cant imagine any big dr. pepper fan hating it...

what dont you like about the taste specifically?

i really hope it doestn die off, it just seems like it is, but maybe it will live on like mello yello in small distribution or something.

mjb1124
09-26-2004, 10:50 AM
I don't hate it, but I don't think it's anything special either. Tastes too much like regular DP - just a little sweeter. I think that's why it flopped.

[ 09-26-2004, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice? ]

Coke04
09-27-2004, 04:24 PM
I guess I don't hate it, but I do dislike it. I guess I'm not a huge DP fan to begin with, though, so that's probably why.