PDA

View Full Version : mello yellow afterglow

sundrop
06-05-2003, 03:03 PM
a new orange flavored mello yello is now being sold buy ccbcc. i saw it in our warehouse today.
just 20oz so far
neat looking graphics

drpep
06-05-2003, 04:14 PM
Where?

sundrop
06-05-2003, 04:29 PM
charlotte has it now. consolidated's other areas will be receiving it soon I would think.

drpep
06-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Thanks. I'm heading thru that area next week. I will keep an eye out.

teamtitan512
06-05-2003, 05:58 PM
Glad it's coming. Is it going to be permanent or a summer only type deal like LiveWire? I'll have to try it, Central won't carry it, a little Fresca and regular Mello Yello is all they offer in Citrus. They used to have both Surge and Citra, then dropped both for Mello Yello in 2000.

SURGE
06-06-2003, 01:55 AM
Hmm whats the flavor supposed to be? Can u post the grafix. Around here we NEVER get anything interesting. If its like Mellon I'll be really interested.

Shatter
06-06-2003, 03:25 AM
I can't seem to find any info about the new MY anywhere. Not on Coke's corporate site, not on their Mello Yello site, nowhere. Not even with Google. Coke has press releases for all sorts of foreign products, but nothing for MY.

SURGE
06-06-2003, 11:57 AM
yeh google gave me 17 results. Thats prolly the lowest I have seen for any search i have ever done on there. Where the hell is this stuff?

teamtitan512
06-06-2003, 08:33 PM
I believe I heard it's orange flavored. Most likely, it's a LiveWire knockoff, but it may taste better or worse, it depends on the bottler whether I prefer Mello Yello to Mountain Dew. All my Mello Yello I drink comes from Consolidated Coke because I don't trust Central will keep it around.

Terry K
06-14-2003, 06:05 AM
We were supplied with an image courtesy of a loyal salutetosoda reader:

http://www.salutetosoda.com/afterglow3.jpg

According to a call we made to Coke, they stated it was a peach flavoured Mello Yello. I'm not going to pass judgment until I get one in my hands to try it. However...if it is, they've not exactly copied Dew. Do note that they stated its naturally flavoured, instead of artifically as they did with other products.

DietCokeEnthusiast
06-14-2003, 10:38 AM
it isn't naturally flavored! it is 'natural flavored'...when will these damn soda companies learn english?

drpep
06-14-2003, 11:55 AM
Its all over the WInston-Salem and Charlotte NC area in 20oz. There are even billboards in the Charlotte area for it.

teamtitan512
06-14-2003, 06:46 PM
If it's peach, WOW, sounds like very very interesting stuff! I'll have to get some when I'm in WV Consolidated territory in about 10 days.

steveu
06-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Hey, long time, no see, Bev Board ... Well, I clicked this thread expecting opinions, but I guess I'm one of the first to try it! I found it on a trip to NC. It's everywhere between Raleigh and Asheville, but missed it west of Asheville on I-40 then it wasn't in Tenn. ... havent tried here in Bama since I got home.

The review: First of all, it does NOT taste like LiveWire, in my opinion (and I have become a surprise Live Wire fan). This is definitely a beverage that hits you in stages. At first, you just think 'orange soda,' then it hits you with a powerful aftertaste. It's not quite orange, but I can't describe it. Maybe tangerine or nectarine? The best I can come up with is like a Fuzzy Naval mixed drink without the alcohol.

I guess it's an acquired taste. Some may not like it, but I suspect others will REALLY like it. It definitely deserves the offbeat name. If you get a really cold bottle, prepare to be shocked a little bit. It DOES hit you.

I'm gonna be REALLY pissed if I don't find it here. We've had cherry and melon MY ever since I moved here, so I'm expecting to find it. If I do, I will be drinking it frequently.

(p.s. this is an edit; I see where the poster mentioned the peach flavor now ... I guess that's it, but I wouldn't let that impact you pro or con. This beverage deserves at least one taste, regardless)

[ 06-18-2003, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: steveu ]

T.I.A.
06-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Afterglow and Cherry were all over Fairfield County, SC (off 77, between Charlotte and Columbia) and surrounding areas. I too, saw an Afterglow billboard near Charlotte.

I did not try Afterglow, but I did try Cherry. I was not impressed. Tasted like Code Red, I suppose, but with less flavor. I'd give it 2 stars out of five.

fusion
06-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Any plans for 12 pack or two liter package on this new flavor?

steveu
06-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Well, it's not here in Huntsville yet, so I'm officially bummed. Please don't tell me it's only available in N.C.! Hurry up, Mello Yellow!

teamtitan512
06-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Since Consolidated has it, it is in North Carolina, South Carolina, southern Virginia, central Tennessee, southern Alabama, and most of West Virginia, discounting the appendages to the north, including Wheeling and Weirton, being CCE, and the eastern panhandle area which is all Central Coke.

Terry K
06-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
Since Consolidated has it, it is in North Carolina, South Carolina, southern Virginia, central Tennessee, southern Alabama, and most of West Virginia, discounting the appendages to the north, including Wheeling and Weirton, being CCE, and the eastern panhandle area which is all Central Coke.We just got a report that its being sold in Kentucky by Middlesboro Coke (Bottler code CV, cleveland TN, CCE)

steveu
06-20-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
Since Consolidated has it, it is in North Carolina, South Carolina, southern Virginia, central Tennessee, southern Alabama, ....OK, well let me state my needs/questions in the simplest form. Will we eventually see it here or in other locales. Why or why not? How can I get distributor(s) to have it in Huntsville? Do I have to write my congressman? I want afterglow!

teamtitan512
06-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Who is the bottler of Coke in Huntsville? it all depends on whether they choose to pick it up or not. I'd call and ask them maybe if they're adding it (If they have Cherry and Melon, I don't think there's any doubt in my mind it's coming).

drpep
06-24-2003, 12:01 PM
I split a bottle with 3 coworkers and all liked it. All agred it had a peach flavor.

Boris
06-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by T.I.A.:
Afterglow and Cherry were all over Fairfield County, SC (off 77, between Charlotte and Columbia) and surrounding areas. I too, saw an Afterglow billboard near Charlotte.

I did not try Afterglow, but I did try Cherry. I was not impressed. Tasted like Code Red, I suppose, but with less flavor. I'd give it 2 stars out of five.Yes, I gave cherry a try to, I found mine just south of Brunswick Georgia, Like Exit 3 at a flash foods. God that stuff is horrible, I'd give it a 1/2 of star out of 5

steveu
06-25-2003, 01:25 AM
A woman at a Huntsville c-store told me she saw Afterglow in Gadsden or Anniston, so I know it's in that territory. If I can just get it up here.

Terry K
06-25-2003, 05:14 AM
I had a chance to try Afterglow. I'm impressed. Its got a nice peach flavour and you can definately taste the tangerine in it.

I think its better than Livewire by far.

Cherry Mello Yello isn't bad.

steveu
06-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Where did you find it?

fusion
06-27-2003, 09:43 PM
I didn't like Afterglow. I bought a bottle that was produced in Cleveland TN (CV). The peach taste is completely too strong. I did buy Fanta Peach in NC, I really liked it. A much milder peach taste.

Terry K
06-27-2003, 09:54 PM
It was brought out here by our roving reporter at the salute! =)

I want Fanta Peach!

steveu
06-29-2003, 05:23 PM
I'm going to make a Tennessee border run up the Parkway in the next day or two to see if I can find the stuff. Wish me luck.

steveu
06-30-2003, 12:15 PM
I can't believe Bevnet doesn't have anything about Afterglow yet...

steveu
07-01-2003, 11:00 AM
I am very pleased to report that I traveled last night from Huntsville 20 miles up the Parkway across the Tenn. state line, which I thought might be Consolidated territory. It was and I got my Afterglow!!! Found it in C-Stores in 20 oz. only. No cans or multipacks in grocery stores. Anyone seen either anywhere?

As a bonus, also found Cheerwine in the 12 oz. glass, but only in 1 of the 6 places I stopped. Otherwise, found various things of note. Found 6-pax glass of the full IBC line in wally world ... almost bought the Berries and Cream after Shatter mentioned it on another thread...

FitzgeraldHead
07-01-2003, 05:47 PM
I found it in Cordele, Ga... on I-75 exit 101

Shatter
07-02-2003, 02:21 AM
Hey, you missed out. That Berries n' Cream was great! My local Wallyworld has been sold out for about a month, and they don't look like they'll get around to reordering it soon. Stores like that don't like having holes in the shelves, so they cram anything into that spot to make it look good. And they usually put the stupidest person on ordering those shelves, so he won't read the tags and figure out that they have 7 facings of IBC products, which is taken up by only 2 flavors.......

[ 07-02-2003, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

DietCokeEnthusiast
07-02-2003, 02:24 AM
Any sightings of Afterglow in New England?

Anyway, I think they should have played off the "Mello Yello" name by calling it 'Mello Yello Afterglo'...but too late, it is.

teamtitan512
07-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Consolidated and United will be the only bottlers to pick this stuff up, unless some of the bottlers like Evansville, IN and Sioux City, IN who offer some more stuff start producing it. There's an independent bottler in NH I believe that produces Melon, they might be a likely place to find Afterglow.

I just wish Central would sell out to Consolidated, and I can have all the Cherry and Afterglow I want. Central's a terrible bottler, other than our usual availability of Pibb which I hate anyway. They're going to realize they look like idiots when CCE switches to 24 oz. 6 packs universally, since they buy the 1/2 liters from CCE and Consolidated, unless Consolidated switches too, then you've got the mockery that is third-tier in Western MD, w/20 oz. from Winchester mixed in w/American 1/2 liters.

fusion
07-02-2003, 05:11 PM
CCE produces Afterglow in their Cleveland TN facility (CV).

I think Central will sell out to CCE, personally. Either that, or they could sell part to each, since they operate in quite a few diferent separate areas.

Hagerstown/Cumberland
York
those two counties in WV
Charlottesville area
upstate PA

etc, etc. About half of their territory adjoins CCE, and about half Consolidated. The PA territory would definately be a haul for Consolidated.

steveu
07-29-2003, 04:02 PM
For my 100th post, I will report that I have contacted my local bottler (Big Spring, right here in H'ville) to ask him to start bottling MY Afterglow. He said he'd consider it. Oh well. Short trips across the Tenn. State line will likely continue...

teamtitan512
07-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Actually Central has much more territory in WV than 2 counties. Those 2 you mention are Preston and Marion counties. They also control Mineral, Hampshire, Hardy, Grant, Morgan, Berkeley and Jefferson, and possibly Pendleton and Tucker. They control the Eastern Panhandle.

In MD, they have Garrett, Allegany, and Washington, with production in Hagerstown.

In PA, they control Bedford, Fulton, Franklin, Adams and York counties. I'm not aware of them controlling anything in upstate PA, all of that was Herbco and now CCE.

In VA, they control the Shenandoah Valley area around Winchester, Staunton, Harrisonburg, Waynesboro and Charlottesville. I believe they control the Culpeper area as well, and the Fauquier County area. Loudoun County begins CCE Mid-Atlantic territory.

The VA and WV parts, along w/MD I think would fit perfectly for Consolidated. Consolidated would then control all of WV except for the northern Wheeling tip, which is in CCE's Pittsburgh system. It would give Consolidated their first territory in MD, and give them possession of all the places along I-81 in VA.

If production was kept in Hagerstown or York, Consolidated could take PA as well, as the only part it controls in PA is the part along the MD border.

Also, I think Central's sellout would force MAC almost out of business, as Herbco and Central basically fueled MAC's existence. They would only be providing product for a few small independent bottlers around, which most have been or will be absorbed into CCE.

fusion
07-29-2003, 06:56 PM
There's no production in York. It's the same setup for there as the rest of Central. Cans from MAC, 2 liters/20oz from Hagerstown, 16.9 from CCBCC/CCE.

As for the upstate PA territory.. Central has an office in Williamsport, PA.

CCE-EGL is to the east in Pittston, to the south in Sunbury, and also in State College. Right over the state line to the north is CCE-NY territory.. I remember seeing 16.9 Canada Dry in Waverly NY.

ben
03-24-2004, 01:08 AM
mello yello afterglow is sorta like livewair

melloyelloluver
06-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Hey - I'm going down to Myrtle Beach in a week. Do they have MY Afterglow here? I can't wait to try it!

drpep
06-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by melloyelloluver:
Do they have MY Afterglow here? Why are you asking us? You live in Pa. Go look.

XLS_04
06-13-2004, 10:23 PM
don't listen to the negative feedback, If I lived in that area I could answer that question better, unfortunately I have no idea of Afterglow is still even produced.

i understand you made a mistake in you're typing and were talking about myrtle beach.

[ 06-13-2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: XLS_04 ]

drpep
06-13-2004, 10:47 PM
tongue.gif