PDA

View Full Version : Middlesboro Coca-Cola Bottling Works, Inc.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-05-2003, 11:45 PM
of Middlesboro, Kentucky (MK is their symbol) does not carry dasani.

Instead, they took over a local favorite water called Cumberland Gap (after the Cumberland river/gap). It's in the triangle bottle, but it is slightly blue (not as blue as dasani).

Uncap the Gap! is the slogan and the labels are personally made for the bottler, complete with the full bottler's name in script font.

very interesting how they took a local favorite over dasani.

this area of kentucky (say, the corbin exit off of I-75) is fractioned with mom and pop indies for coke, pepsi and rc cola.

7up usually stays with pepsi, also dr pepper. but middlesboro, who carries pibb, also was allowed to carry dr pepper 8oz by the local pepsi dist. how cute! talk about cooperation.

i mean, it's great. you could go into two stores across the street or down the road and they would have completely different stuff because their territory lines are so complex and overlapping.

i seem to recall that they do all their own bottling down there or exchange product with each other. all the cans have local addresses on them and everything.

product is always neat and well merchandised, stocked, rotated. these people all seem to have some sort of pride, unlike cce peeps i've experienced.

variety is the spice of life down there with full rows of 10oz glass for all brands, all 8oz glass was first there years before i saw it in michigan (coke, diet coke, sprite, barqs, dr pepper, rumored to be squirt and cherry coke as well).

ten oz glass include : pepsi, diet pepsi, diet cf pepsi, mt dew, diet mt dew, dr pepper, 7 up, coke, diet coke, sprite, mello yello, (was surge), mr pibb plus all tonics/gingers.

they even ran the "Big!" one liters years after cce switched to the contour bottles. that was cool and i brought home a case to show a friend.

they had full one liter lines of most if not all products whereas coke and pepsi here had limited varieties until maybe 2 years ago.

they always seemed to be willing to have as many flavors as possible aand were always couponing, discountng and running deals.

plus they had cool shells, including the light blue rc ones.

i rue the fact that i did not pick up more the last time i was down in that area. every store's an adventure.

i suggest traveling through the holler in harlan county for sure, don't forget middlesboro county ( i think) as well and dip into northern tennesee too.

fusion
06-06-2003, 12:15 AM
Thanks for posting. I am actually making a road trip from Maryland to Ohio to Tennessee, and possibly Georgia and the Carolinas, if I have time.

I will make it a point to detour over to Middlesboro. I actually know a guy who used to work at the Super Wally there, and he told me Coke runs things a lot different down there.

SURGE
06-06-2003, 12:53 AM
They had 10oz bottle of SURGE? Awesome in glass, is there any pics? What kind of bottle did it come in? Here I have only seen the coke contour bottle in glass.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-07-2003, 12:24 AM
ever see the schweppes or canada dry tonics in the 10oz glass bottle? that's the bottle.

Terry K
06-19-2003, 08:08 PM
We just sent our roving reporter down there. Reports indicate they may have shut down bottling there or greatly scaled it back.

Some glass bottles are coming from bottler MR now.

Cans are sourced from Consolidated and CV/CCE

fusion
06-19-2003, 10:52 PM
I'll be passing through there on Tuesday.. I'll provide a full report when I get back next weekend. MR=Marietta GA, which is CCE's glass plant for the Mid-Atlantic/South (and probably around the Great Lakes as well). The northeast's glass is produced in NH, Needham Heights MA.

fusion
06-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Middlesboro was too far off of my route to go there, but I did stop in Corbin, which is right off of the interstate. Found Coke, Sprite, Diet, and Mello Yello in 10oz fat bottles from their production facility, and one in Alabama.

Also saw Coke, Sprite, Diet, Barq's in 8oz 6 pack at the Super Wally. Cans are coming from CCBCC and CCE's Cleveland TN facility. They produce most of their own 2L/20oz, but some come from Marietta (MR) or Charlotte (SY).

And for the record, they now carry Dasani along with Cumberland Gap.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-28-2003, 02:19 PM
oh yeah? that's cool. my hillbilly friends goin down and he's gonna bring me up some cumberland gap water.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-13-2003, 11:11 AM
middlesboro used to run a 10oz bottle line, my 10oz bottle of mello yello has code MK on it.

also, while we're on the subject of kentucky, here's a smatttering of kentucky indies:

Dr Pepper Bottling Company
308 West Center Street
Madisonville, KY 42431
(270) 821-5537
Dr. Pepper and Royal Crown products

Greensburg Bottling Company, Inc.
108 Depot Street
Greensburg, KY 42743
(270) 932-5061
KDA Web Page
Double Cola, Diet Double Cola, Ski, Diet Ski, NuGrape, Dad's Root Beer, Tasty Ch...

Middlesboro Coca-Cola Bottling Inc
1324 Cumberland Avenue
Middlesboro, KY 40965
(606) 248-2660
Coca-Cola products

Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Corbin Ky Inc
1000 West 18th Street
Corbin, KY 40701
(606) 528-1630
Pepsi-Cola products, Mt. Dew products, Dr. Pepper products, 7-Up products, Ocea...

Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Winchester
221 Jackson Street
Winchester, KY 40391
(859) 744-2611
Pepsi-Cola products

oh, and if you want something funny, go to this website: http://highbridgesprings.com/flash.asp and click on flash and listen to their jingle. it's soooooo funny. how lame!

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-13-2003, 11:19 AM
also, there's a coca-cola museum inside the elizabethtown, kentucky plant. just found that out too.

bigrich
07-13-2003, 09:32 PM
The Schmidt Museum is still there, but it is not the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Elizabethtown anymore. The owner sold his rights to Coke, and it is now Cardinal Beverages. They co-pack private names and a Mr Fizz Brand. Coke now is shipped into that area from United and Huntville Coca-Cola. Yes, they have all the Mello flavors in E-Town.

teamtitan512
07-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Mr. Fizz is the soda brand of Rite Aid drug stores for those that didn't know.

Shatter
07-14-2003, 12:12 AM
I've never seen Mr Fizz drinks in Rite Aid Drug Stores before (although I haven't been in a lot of them, and not in the past year or two) but I have seen those Fizz drinks locally, in a grocery store selling generic foods. I think the store's some kind of division of Big Lots. I bought a few flavors, like Mountain Fizz and Sun Mist. And from the label on one of the cans I bought a year and a half ago, it's from Cardinal Bevs of Elizabethtown, KY.

teamtitan512
07-14-2003, 10:27 PM
Big Fizz is at Rite Aid. Not Mr. Fizz. I remembered it wrong.

Cheer-wined
03-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Terry K:
Reports indicate they may have shut down bottling there or greatly scaled it back.
Drove through Corbin and Middlesboro last week, most products now coming from other bottlers. Saw 10oz Coke, Sprite, Mello Yello from Big Springs/Huntsville Coke; 16oz/24oz/2L (maybe cans also) from CV; 8oz glass/2L from MR; some 16oz and cans from CCBCC-RE. 20oz products and 12oz PET Cumberland Gap water (in a short bottle like Buffalo Rock's) were from MK.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-30-2004, 01:15 AM
damn, they must be gettin it cheaper. oh well, still one of my favorites. thanks for the updates team titan!!!!!!!!!

Hacksaw
03-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Anyone seen Fanta Red Cream Soda (not plain Red) around there?

Cheer-wined
03-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Hacksaw:
Anyone seen Fanta Red Cream Soda (not plain Red) around there? That's a soda I haven't seen in a long time. Bluegrass Coca-Cola (Lexington KY) used to make it back in the '70s, bought some back then but haven't seen it since.

chrisj
06-22-2004, 05:47 PM
O.k. I really need your help here. I am going through Kentucky Thursday and will really appreciate it if you can tell me where I can buy strictly glass 9oz, 10oz or 12oz. pepsi or coke products or orange crush. I woul rather buy from a bottler as It would be cheaper. If you could tell me the phone numbers and what they carry that would be great. I live in Wisconsin and would like to have this set up before I leave Thursday.

Thank You

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-22-2004, 06:15 PM
eastern/southern kentucky seems to have the best indie bottlers (thus the most likely ones to have coke and pepsi products in glass).

fusion
06-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Orange Crush in glass is available at any Wal-Mart or Super Wal-Mart.

chrisj
06-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Is there a list of bottlers besides the one here?

chrisj
06-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Can you buy cases of 10oz and 8oz product in corbin or do you have to buy them individually? And what are the prices for them also? I am going through there on Friday.

Thank you

fusion
06-23-2004, 06:07 PM
I didn't hit a lot of places in Corbin, but I only remember seeing the 10oz individually at a gas station.

There is a Kroger and a Super Wal-Mart in Corbin. Everything there is just off the highway.

You can also visit the "Harland Sanders Cafe" which is a replica of the original restaurant that eventually became KFC.

Corbin is about an hour from Middlesboro. I suppose if you wanted to take a slight detour, you could take US 25 from Corbin to Middlesboro, and then 25 to 11W back to Knoxville.

chrisj
06-23-2004, 06:14 PM
I am actually going to the Dr. pepper plant in W. Jefferson, nc to buy pop. do you remember what they charged for an individual 10oz pop in Corbin?

chrisj
06-23-2004, 06:34 PM
In corbin can you buy 10oz coke products or 8oz?

chrisj
06-23-2004, 06:39 PM
I sent you a private message cheer-wined .

fusion
06-23-2004, 08:06 PM
At that gas station, I know there were 10oz Coke, Sprite, Diet, and Mello Yello. around 80 cents, I think.

Durham Coke also produces 10oz Coke products in their territory around Raleigh-Durham.

The Wal-Mart probably had 8oz, which can be easily found just about everywhere.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-23-2004, 10:19 PM
cj, hop[e you got the emails
godspeed on your trip, bevseeker

Hacksaw
06-25-2004, 03:16 AM
I just found a list of Kentucky beverage, water, distillers, & soft drink bottlers online:

http://agrinet.tamu.edu/agbus/ky208.htm

Wow, 11 Coca Cola bottlers, 12 Pepsi bottlers, 7 Royal Crown bottlers, 3 Dr. Pepper bottlers, even 2 Nehi bottlers. Not bad for a state of that Population & size!

I hope this helps. Now, if can just get a staight answer to where to find Fanta Red Cream Soda....

[ 06-25-2004, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Hacksaw ]

teamtitan512
06-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Just so you know, Fanta red Cream Soda is dead and has been since the mid 90's.

You'll find Barq's red Creme or red Flash in it's place.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you're leading a quest with no foreseeable end.

Cheer-wined
06-25-2004, 09:58 PM
This one is from 1979, bought at a Convenient c-store near Lexington KY. The only place I'd ever seen it was in KY in areas that were strong on Big Red. Now if you just had a time machine...
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/Fanta_Red_Cream.jpg

I think a number of those bottlers on the site listed are only distributors now. For whatever reason their SIC codes are not updated after they shutdown bottling operations. So it appears they are still categorized as bottlers although they don't produce anymore.

[ 06-25-2004, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

bigrich
06-25-2004, 10:19 PM
That looks like the Crown one piece steal cans Blue Grass Coca-Cola Lexington used to run. I remember Fanta Red Creme was also available here in Indy from about 1968 to maybe 1985. They had a straight sided steel can from American Can until about 1972, and then two piece formed steal can until about 1981, and then an all-aluminum can until 1985. Mid-America Canners in Madisionville, Ky also ran Fanta Red Creme Soda. They probably ran it from around the same time, switching to all-aluminum around 1972, they used alcoa cans. I believe Lexington does not produce product anymore, and Mid-America Cannners is completely out of business.

[ 06-25-2004, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

chrisj
06-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Which pepsi bottlers bottle the 10 oz glass bottles?
And why do they use the short bottles instead of the older taller 10 oz bottles?

teamtitan512
06-27-2004, 09:38 PM
PBG uses the little squatty 10 oz. bottles. Pepsi Shenandoah doesn't have any glass, AFAIK. I was only ever in PepsiAmericas territory once, and I don't remember what they had, if anything.

chrisj
06-27-2004, 10:30 PM
What bottler is PBG?

fusion
06-27-2004, 11:46 PM
bigrich, I belive you are correct. CCE produces in Cincinnati, and they run pretty much all the packages there. Lexington and Cincinnati would both be Tri-Cities division. I'm sure they do get some stuff from Indy and Cleveland TN, too.