PDA

View Full Version : are soda cans too cluttered?

popologist
01-22-2006, 08:43 AM
is it just me... or are soda cans more "cluttered" now than they were a decade ago?

i mean, now, they've got logos... and bubbles... and swooshes... and whozitz and whatzitz... and ad slogans, etc. (not to mention the extra nutritional data being added this year).

do you like this trend?

and... does it even matter? smile.gif

DJ HawaiianShirt
01-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Let's call it another front in the war against Americans' attention spans.

SEV :rolleyes:

yankees26mlb
01-22-2006, 05:50 PM
no it doesn't matter smile.gif

Mr Nethead
01-22-2006, 06:27 PM
I don't really care, I guess. The packaging has surprisingly little impact on my beverage choices.

Mr Zabe
01-22-2006, 06:52 PM
I agree. Not by color,religion,race or creed do I judge the design on the can/bottle; it's all how the soda pop tastes. :D

XLS_04
01-23-2006, 12:14 AM
i'm not that way, if i dont like the packaging i wont buy it or collect the beverage if i can help it.

Coke had some sloppy looking logos in the late 90s, examples were cherry coke, diet coke, citra, mello yello.

as far as clutter this has been a problem especially since Nutrition Facts were added in 1994.

Coke seems to be black happy the past decade turning the texts on all their products black or using black coloring in the designs, I don't really consider plain black or plain white as colors, but more as filling in idle space and gives it a cheap look.

Pepsi atleast uses color still in their graphics.

PepsiBlue
01-23-2006, 02:33 AM
My leat fav coca-cola label was the one from 00-03, the bursting bottle, too cluttered, LOVE the current set of graphics!
EWW to these 2 coke cans from the same period
http://usasoda.com/images/coke64.JPG
http://www.usasoda.com/images/coke116.JPG

[ 01-23-2006, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: PepsiBlue ]

popologist
01-23-2006, 09:04 AM
i agree with both of those examples, pepsiblue. (the cherry coke one came to mind specifically... it's just "scary").

also, when it comes to coca-cola... i like to see the "wave" on the packaging. otherwise it feels like it's missing something.

i also didn't like when diet coke cans had a lop-sided wave on the can (it sort of went behind the logo). it really irked me.

i like the logo they're using on their cans now, though... except... maybe too many bubbles. also, C2's wave is too low... u can't see it with the script.

[ 01-23-2006, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: popologist ]

boodoo
01-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Way too cluttered. I also care little about the design when it comes to buying. I cast my vote to keep it simple and clean.

[ 01-23-2006, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: boodoo ]

ramonazo
01-23-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm agree with PepsiBlue, the Coca-Cola current logo it's awesome! IMO one of tbe best logos in Coke history...

popologist
01-23-2006, 01:10 PM
for awhile, coca-cola had the right end of the wave flowing out of the end of the script. i think that was in the late 90s. i sort of liked that.

but, i agree with pepsiblue and ramon, that the current logo is pretty cool.

ramonazo
01-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
for awhile, coca-cola had the right end of the wave flowing out of the end of the script. i think that was in the late 90s. i sort of liked that.That's true... it was after the 1996 olympic games when Coca-Cola started to get rid of the wave in their labels and packaging, the labels just had the Coke script and the packs had the red disk icon. I remember that when I started to see the logo without the wave, I was :mad: but a few days later I got accustomed it...

But the current logo is so much better... smile.gif

XLS_04
01-24-2006, 12:55 AM
Well Coca-Cola had the worst packaging in it's history in the late 90's.

I'm glad Coca-Cola has straightened out there graphics because the late 90s were the ugliest ones they had in history.

Removing the dynamic ribbon was stupid, glad it was brought back in 2002.

As far as Coca-Cola current logo it is very nice and reminds me alot of the Coca-Cola logo from the early 80s but this time with a digital looking wave/ribbon.

Only downfall of the current Coca-Cola logo is, the word classic doesn't look like it belongs on the packaging and was done as a last minute thought.

The word "Coke" is becoming less and less common on the product names as well. Examples are Coca-Cola cherry, and Coca-Cola with Lime, etc...

I'd like to know if anyone agrees.

PepsiBlue
01-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Oh yea also cant foprget the first label when they removed the ribbon (which should never ever happen!) oh and add some words, and change Coca-COla from vertical do a horizontal angle.
http://usasoda.com/images/coke62.JPG

ramonazo
01-24-2006, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
Well Coca-Cola had the worst packaging in it's history in the late 90's.

I'm glad Coca-Cola has straightened out there graphics because the late 90s were the ugliest ones they had in history.

Removing the dynamic ribbon was stupid, glad it was brought back in 2002.

As far as Coca-Cola current logo it is very nice and reminds me alot of the Coca-Cola logo from the early 80s but this time with a digital looking wave/ribbon.

The word "Coke" is becoming less and less common on the product names as well. Examples are Coca-Cola cherry, and Coca-Cola with Lime, etc...

I'd like to know if anyone agrees. I agree too, that's one of the many reasons why I like so much the current graphics, it reminds me the 70's-80's logo (and also my childhood) but now updated for this era...

I also agree that was bad idea to remove the dynamic ribbon or wave, the labels were so meaningless during 1996 and 2000, at least the sensation logo (the one of the cap) gave it a little of life to the label, but now with the current label the bottles look awesome!

iluvsurge220
01-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
i'm not that way, if i dont like the packaging i wont buy it or collect the beverage if i can help it.

Coke had some sloppy looking logos in the late 90s, examples were cherry coke, diet coke, citra, mello yello.

as far as clutter this has been a problem especially since Nutrition Facts were added in 1994.

Coke seems to be black happy the past decade turning the texts on all their products black or using black coloring in the designs, I don't really consider plain black or plain white as colors, but more as filling in idle space and gives it a cheap look.

Pepsi atleast uses color still in their graphics. I personally dont think packaging matters. What the package or can or bottle or whatever it is looks like in no way effects the taste. If my favorite drink was packaged in a pee yellow box with black box letters spelling out the name of the drink on it and thats all, I would buy that over a drink I didnt like that was in a multi-colored package with a cool logo.

popologist
01-30-2006, 05:39 PM
packaging may not play a part in your "conscious" mind, but... who knows... maybe if your favorite beverage came in an ugly package, you might... subconsciously... start drinking less of it.

and, even if it was one less can a week... if you multiply that by millions... or even billions... it adds up.

just a thought.

iluvsurge220
01-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah I see what you mean.