PDA

View Full Version : Report from London

MATHA531
01-24-2006, 05:06 AM
Just got back from London and my report is as follows:

1. Several of the grocery chains still had limited amounts of diet coke vanilla.

2. Lots of lemon diet coke available (don't think they quashed that yet in London)

3. Lots of vanilla coke available (think they're still making that there)...incidentally lots of vanilla coke is available on the continent and some coke light with lemon. In some of the French fast food and motorway places, no coke light at all but lots of coke light with lemon.

4. No sign in London as to whether they will have coke zero. Also no sign of diet coke cherry which is supposed to be replacing diet coke vanilla, at least according to what I read in October.

5. Finally the coke light scam has spread to the caterers of the airlines. When I returned home on American Airlines, and asked for a diet coke, I was given a coke light. When I explained I could not drink this foul tasting drink, they searched and told me that was all they had. How diet coke light got on the airplane is beyond me as the 777 only serves the LHR route and does not go to the continent....

6. No sign of any of the cherry vanilla or diet cherry vanilla dr. peper either.

Mr Zabe
01-24-2006, 06:26 AM
Great UK report.

In regards to point #5, the airlines supply food and beverage from local food service companies. So on the way to the UK you were served US food and drinks and on the way back from the UK you were served UK food and drinks.

Granted there maybe some variation like the peanuts. LOL In general you get local products each way.

MATHA531
01-24-2006, 07:05 AM
very true....but the UK coke distributor serves diet coke....some in the UK import from long distances coke light...coke light is not British...coke light is from the continent....British serve diet coke.

ramonazo
01-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by MATHA531:
3. Lots of vanilla coke available (think they're still making that there)...incidentally lots of vanilla coke is available on the continent and some coke light with lemon.People of Great Britain and the whole Europe... I envy you

[ 01-24-2006, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

jmy007
01-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by MATHA531:

5. Finally the coke light scam has spread to the caterers of the airlines. When I returned home on American Airlines, and asked for a diet coke, I was given a coke light. When I explained I could not drink this foul tasting drink, they searched and told me that was all they had. How diet coke light got on the airplane is beyond me as the 777 only serves the LHR route and does not go to the continent.... Please note, that that AA 777 doesn't shuttle back and forth from one city to another. It was probably catered in Paris, or Frankfurt the day before. They rotate stock until it is gone with soda, and then resupply it.
I love flying internationl flights as a soda can collector, as you never know what you are going to get. Example:
3 years ago I was flying to New Zeland on air New Zealand, ask for a can of coke, got a can of coke from Japan!!! It made me enjoy that can of coke a little bit more.
Again, catering, though the flight started in the US and was headed to NZ, probably a couple of days before that it was on a Japan run.

SamC
01-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Even on domestic flights, you will see the soft drinks from all over. Just look at the cans for bottler names, special offers for regional things like sports teams or ammusment parks, and, certainly language differnces. I once got a Sprite out of a can that was what I think was Thai on a flight from Cleveland to Newark. The unserved product from one flight is taken off after each flight and repacked into a new full cart for some other flight. A particular can might have been placed on a flight in Japan and taken off that plane and put on ten or more others before its number comes up.

BTW, Diet Coke and Coke Light are the same product. Certain countries have laws that say the word "diet" implies "heathful" or "medical" so they use the alternate trademark. The sweetener blend in the product, no matter what they call it, will vary based on each country's laws and market conditions. A Coke Light you find to taste bad in Germany might be sold to you as a Diet Coke in England, while a Coke Light in Mexico might be the same formula as US Diet Coke.

MATHA531
01-25-2006, 02:32 AM
Coke light and diet coke are two completely different drinks with completely different formulas and completely different tastes.

To say that the coke light I don't like in Germany might be the same diet coke I don't like in the UK is simply utter utter nonsense.

[ 01-25-2006, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: MATHA531 ]

SamC
01-25-2006, 07:12 AM
You ought to tell the Coca-Cola Company that, they seem to be under the impression that Diet Coke is the prefered worldwide brand name, and Coca-Cola Light is the alternative brand name in jurisdictions (like Mexico, BTW) that prohibit the use of the word "diet" in that manner.

Since it says so on the company's own website.

ramonazo
01-25-2006, 10:47 AM
I think here Diet Coke was renamed to Coca-Cola Light in order to link more this product to the Coca-Cola brand, because here in Mexico the trademark "Coke" is not well-known...

popologist
01-25-2006, 12:13 PM
i'm confused. i thought "coca-cola light" in europe was the same as "coke zero" in the US.

so... if you guys hate coke light... then you also hate coke zero... since they're the same. if they are the same.

but... i just don't see how anyone could prefer diet coke over coke zero. zero is so much better.

ramonazo
01-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Mmm...nnnope... I've tried Coca-Cola zero and of course Coca-Cola Light, and IMO Coke zero tastes a little less sweet than Coca-Cola Light (in the case of the mexican one, I dunno how it taste in other countries), that's why I like Coke zero... because has the similar taste of the regular Coke, and the graphics are COOL! :D

And Coke light is good too... smile.gif

[ 01-25-2006, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

popologist
01-26-2006, 08:55 AM
so maybe coca-cola light is the diet coke formula... but with ace-k and aspertame. while diet coke in the US is just aspertame. and coke zero is classic formula with ace-k and aspertame.

dizzy yet? ;)

Mr Zabe
01-26-2006, 11:55 AM
YES!!!!!
Can't we just drink Diet Coke, Coca Cola Light, and Coke Zero from the country of our choice and in soda pop peace. LOLOLOLOLOL :D

popologist
01-26-2006, 12:33 PM
well, supposedly, the reason coca-cola light tastes different from diet coke is because "new coke" wasn't introduced to most of the world, so... coke based coca-cola light on coke classic. also, ace-k was legalized in europe before the US, so... that's also why it's different.

so...

ramonazo
01-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by popologist:
so maybe coca-cola light is the diet coke formula... but with ace-k and aspertame. while diet coke in the US is just aspertame. and coke zero is classic formula with ace-k and aspertame.

dizzy yet? ;) Right!, I just readed the ingredients from a label of a Coke light from the fridge and it has aspartame and acesulfame potasico (acesulfame pottasium, K is the symbol of Potassium, so it's Ace-K :rolleyes: )

MATHA531
02-24-2006, 07:33 AM
So I was back in London this past week...most of the original comments continue to hold...I was able to find diet coke vanilla at many of the Tesco and Sainsbury's outlets I use (but not all)..in one case they put it out in the carton it comes to them with and it says expires June 06..I suppose this is still inventory they are working down and it will soon be dead in the UK as it is now in the USA. But there seems to be no rush to kill Vanila regular coke...it was pretty plentiful.

2. As I noted, when I read the blurb from Coca Cola UK, diet coke vanilla is being replaced by diet coke cherry..I found a couple of places with diet coke cherry...it tastes almost like the cherry flavoured cough medicine mom used to give me some time ago...certainly a taste different than the diet coke cherry I'm used to although I've read Coca Cola wants to change the flavour somewhat in the US.

3. Lots of diet coke with lemon (incidentally it always confused me why diet coke vanilla and diet coke cherry always had yellow caps, diet coke cherry has red caps, diet coke with lime has a green cap). I don't think cc uk has pulled the plug on that flavour like here and don't think regular coke vanilla has been pulled there.

4. No cc black cherry or diet coke black cherry...don't think they're in the pipeline in the UK. Nor did I see any diet Dr. Pepper at all and certainly no cherry vanilla diet Dr. Pepper.

5. No sign of coke zero..wonder if it will be making its way to the UK.

The Mole (UK)
02-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Well we have

Fanta Zero
Dr Pepper Zero
Sprite Zero

So it may happen.

da987
02-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Just for everyone's information as to what is available in the UK, at this moment.

Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola Cherry
Coca-Cola Vanilla
Coca-Cola With Lemon (Limited edition for summer 2005, but still found in some stores)
Diet Coke
Diet Coke Caffeine Free
Diet Coke with Lemon (to be discontinued shortly)
Diet Coke Vanilla (to be discontinued shortly)
Diet Coke with Lime
Diet Coke with Cherry

Fanta Orange
Fanta Icy Lemon
Fanta Fruit Twist
Fanta Apple Splash
Fanta Zero Orange
Fanta Zero Icy Lemon
Fanta Zero Summer Fruits

Sprite
Sprite Zero
Sprite 3G

Lilt Pineapple & Grapefruit
Lilt Zero Pineapple & Grapefruit

Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper Zero

Pepsi
Diet Pepsi
Pepsi Max
Pepsi Max Twist
Pepsi Max Punch (limited edition for 2005, but still hiding on shelves)
Pepsi Max Cino

7up
7up Free
Cherry 7up

Tango Orange
Tango Lemon
Tango Cherry
Tango Apple
Tango Mango (limited edition)
Diet Tango Orange
Diet Tango Lemon
Diet Tango Cherry
Diet Tango Apple

I think that is all of the carbonated sodas from the 2 main bottlers "Coca-Cola & Britvic"

The Mole (UK)
02-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Can you still get Cherry 7UP,

The one store that sold it up here has stopped selling it...

ramonazo
02-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by da987:
Just for everyone's information as to what is available in the UK, at this moment.

Coca-Cola Vanilla I envy you... again :D

MATHA531
04-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Well I was back in London again this past week on business (it seems I have to be there almost every other month...will be back at the end of June) and on the coca cola scene (I don't notice the others) here is the report...

1. A lot less Coke Vanilla...hardly any.

2. Still approximately the same amounts of diet coke vanilla, diet coke with lemon, diet coke with lime...(I was under the impression dc vanilla and dc lemon are being discontinued)...don't know if there is still inventory or they are keeping the diet sodas for now.

3. More places had coke with cherry and diet coke with cherry...note what I said...not coke cherry or diet coke cherry but with cherry...the diet has a much stronger smell and taste of cherry than any cherry diet soda I've ever had...you can almost smell the cherry flavour oozing from the glass. It was much more palatable this time around.

4. No sign yet of Coke zero.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
04-24-2006, 12:34 AM
At least they still have Coca-Cola Vanilla... I envy you UK people... smile.gif

[ 04-24-2006, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]