PDA

View Full Version : Regular vs Diet Argument at home

shadowlp06
08-25-2006, 04:42 AM
My wife and I are in the midst of an argument. Recently, I came across Jazz by Pepsi at the local store. Much to my delight I picked it up...figuring no calories, no fat, etc, my wife would be proud. I loved it! Well...a few days go by and I start noticing everytime I drink the Jazz, shortly after I will get a pain in my chest, and it will not go away until I grab a glass of water. Well, my wife stated that she had heard Diet soda is worse for your body than regular. Somehow the artificial sweetners and aspartme, don't digest or aren't absorbed in your system like regular sugar, and aspartame is basically a poison. I told her I thought she was full of it. Anyone care to weigh in on this. I do not get the pain if I drink a regular soda.

mjb1124
08-25-2006, 01:34 PM
I did notice that Jazz in particular seems to cause some pretty bad heartburn. I don't think it's the sweeteners, because I drink plenty of other aspartame/ace-K sodas. I'm guessing that the Jazz flavors must be very acidic.

[ 08-25-2006, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: mikibacsi1124 ]

popologist
08-27-2006, 07:06 AM
nothing effects everyone the same way.

i don't seem to have a problem with diet sodas, but i've heard some people get heartburn.

obviously, there are health benefits to drinking diet soda (less calories and sugar); however, if regular soda is consumed in "moderation"... then it probably poses little risk (unless you're diabetic or something).

although... i'm not a doctor. just a person with common sense. ;)

DJ HawaiianShirt
08-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Popo is on the right track here.

If Jazz makes you feel bad, then don't drink it. But don't let your wife get the last word by saying that it's the poisonous aspertame, because if it IS the aspertame that's affecting you, then other diet sodas should as well. And even then, it's probably a short-term effect, not that fact that it's poisoning you.

It's true that artificial sweeteners are not digested/metabolized in your body: that's why they don't contain calories. That's even MORE reason why you should not be afraid of them.

Sure, when lab rats have been force-fed nothing but aspertame for days, it has had deadly effects, but that in no way correlates to the amount that humans do/can ingest on a regular basis (even for a diet soda addict). So far, any studies of adverse side effects of aspertame have been inconclusive.

As of now, the health risks of normal soda (HFCS) are much worse than diet soda among the general public.

Feel free to read up on the aspertame Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspertame

boodoo
08-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Shadow,

19 years of wedded bliss so I know.."If mama ain't happy...ain't nobody happy!". Drop the Jazz and stop the razz!

Mr Zabe
08-27-2006, 01:12 PM
boodoo,
Words of wisdom,for sure. smile.gif