PDA

View Full Version : the "real thing" in "real glass"... for real.

popologist
01-26-2006, 02:28 PM
coca-cola is going to start selling coke classic, zero and diet in glass bottles again.

for those who care... read it here:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-coke26.html

ramonazo
01-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Cool! thanks for the update Popologist!

Bad for Chicago Sun-Times...why don't they put a picture of the bottles or an ad of the bottles in the note?

MrZ, redcremesoda, have you seen those bottles now?

[ 01-26-2006, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

Mr Nethead
01-26-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm pretty sure those Coke bottles are the same ones I found a few months back. Remember my "Coke in glass" thread?

http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003290

I'm not sure how they ended up in Wisconsin though.

Mr Zabe
01-26-2006, 10:15 PM
MrR
I'll bet that store,Woodman's in Wisconsin has it.
They are supplied by the Chicago bottlers and almost always get the new stuff first.

I will be going there this Saturday. I will report back. So far I have not seem them in the chain grocery stores.

[ 01-26-2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fusion
01-26-2006, 10:16 PM
They mention that fans have been lamenting the difficulty of finding them on an online messageboard.

I assume they mean here?

[ 01-26-2006, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

boodoo
01-27-2006, 12:27 PM
It ain't the "real thing" unless the formula is the same as pre-New Coke. One can only wish.....

popologist
01-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
They mention that fans have been lamenting the difficulty of finding them on an online messageboard.

I assume they mean here? ;)

Mr Nethead
01-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Someday, before I die, I must drink a Coke made with real sugar in a glass bottle. I've never had a soda of any kind made with sugar. I wish they had never invented high fructose corn syrup. :(

But at any rate, even with the HFCS Coke is better in a glass bottle. The Citgo station I've mentioned before just got a fresh stock in. I just drank one. :D

Mr Zabe
01-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Please go to a local Mexican Fruit & Vegetable Deli market. Most every small or large city has a few. Just find one and you will find Mexican Coca Cola in a glass bottle. All the Mexican soda pops that you find in this kind of market will have soda pop from Mexico made with sugar cain.

It's that easy. You have a long life to life so why not enjoy some sugar cain Coke in the bottle now. smile.gif

Mr Nethead
01-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I think we do have a Mexican market. I'm gonna track some Coke with sugar down.

fusion
01-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Zabe, we are gonna have to send you back to grammar school! It's cane sugar, not cain. Cain is the guy from the bible.

Mr Zabe
01-27-2006, 09:57 PM
I may not be Able.
To spell worth a darn.
Cause when I'm drinking soda pop.
I can't even spell my namme. LOL

Fast,fat,fingers equal gross miss spelling even with spell check. smile.gif

Zabe (spelling challenged.LOL)

bigrich
01-27-2006, 10:21 PM
At my local Shell Convenience Mart they are stocking Mexican Returnable Contour Glass 435ML Bottles with the plastic screw off top. They retail for a little over a dollar. They are nice heavy green glass bottles.

ramonazo
01-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Follow the advices of MrZ. and bigrich... Mexican Coke tastes better... and the american also :D .

The funniest thing is that in our visit to U.S., when my family tried Coca-Cola Classic, they said that tastes better than the mexican one... maybe because they're accustomed to drink Coca-Cola light... :D

popologist
01-28-2006, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
Zabe, we are gonna have to send you back to grammar school! It's cane sugar, not cain. Cain is the guy from the bible. i think Z meant that... it tastes so good, even Cain would drink it! ;)

ramonazo
01-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Please go to a local Mexican Fruit & Vegetable Deli market. Most every small or large city has a few. Just find one and you will find Mexican Coca Cola in a glass bottle. All the Mexican soda pops that you find in this kind of market will have soda pop from Mexico made with sugar cain.Want some? :D

http://static.flickr.com/40/82715950_ba860b34bf.jpg http://static.flickr.com/40/82715950_ba860b34bf.jpg http://static.flickr.com/40/82715950_ba860b34bf.jpg

[ 01-28-2006, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

SodaAddict
01-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Awesome, I live about 20 minutes away from Pheonix. Yay.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
01-30-2006, 12:31 AM
a grocery store in janesville wisconsin(woodmans) once had mexican coke in big glass bottles for about a week, and then they disapeared...

ramonazo
01-30-2006, 12:44 AM
One question... once you finish the bottle you return it to the store like we do here? or you throw it?

Mr Nethead
01-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Well in Wisconsin we have mandatory recycling. So I recycle them. But they're not returnable.

ramonazo
01-30-2006, 01:25 AM
the mexican empty bottles too?

Mr Nethead
01-30-2006, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't know where to return a Mexican bottle. So yeah, I'd recycle that too.

Returnables aren't very common in the U.S. I think in rare instances where they do exist, you usually return them directly to the bottler.

Mr Zabe
01-30-2006, 06:26 PM
In Illinois there are no store returnables like in the good old days. Now a days each village or city have their on curb side recycling service.

[ 01-30-2006, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Dr. Galaga
01-30-2006, 07:44 PM
I have often wondered: Do the Mexican grocery stores and restaurants (in the US) return their empties back to Mexico?

fusion
01-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Nope.

ramonazo
01-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Here in Mexico once we finish the soda in the glass bottle (or plastic bottle in the case of 2 liter or 2.5 liter returnable bottles), if we want another soda in glass bottle we have to return the glass bottle to the grocery store. So I thought that in U.S. did the same, but now that you tell me that in U.S. the mexican glass bottles aren't returnable... I can imagine the big amount of money that the distributors spent to carry the mexican Coke to U.S., because if you buy a returnable Coke in Mexico without giving an empty glass bottle to the cashier, he/she will charge you more money for the soda...

[ 01-30-2006, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

fusion
02-01-2006, 12:30 AM
I take mine to the recycling center, and recycle them with the other clear glass.

ramonazo
02-01-2006, 12:54 AM
You're a great example of the environment preservation! smile.gif , in Mexico we need to adopt more that culture of recycling glass and plastics to preservate the environment that is deteriorating... :(

BottleBoss
02-01-2006, 11:52 AM
I always thought it was kind of a shame that we have no way of sending the returnable bottles back. It would not be cost effective obviously. We are kind of killing our own hobby by not doing it though. They can't be refilled if we throw them away.

No Soda
02-02-2006, 10:30 PM
BottleBoss wrote:
I always thought it was kind of a shame that we have no way of sending the returnable bottles back. It would not be cost effective obviously. We are kind of killing our own hobby by not doing it though. They can't be refilled if we throw them away.

BottleBoss, I couldn't have said it better. I think it's sad that the bottles can't be returned back to Mexico for refilling, but there's no way anyone's going to hump them back there at their own expense. (If Coke were oficially selling them here, there would be a mechanism for getting them back.) I haven't bought any Mexican Coke recently because I have enough of the bottles for my collection (there's quite a variety of them) but I do hope to add one of those new ones Ramon el CC has shown in several posts. smile.gif

Ramon, in seems that in Mexico that there is a culture of protecting the environment...thru the use of refillable bottles. Reusing a bottle is better for the environment than recycling it even when you consider the energy used to transport it back to the plant for refilling and for sterilizing it. It's not uncommon for refillable bottles to stay in circulation for 20 years. So in Mexico they charge you more when you buy a Coke without turning in an empty bottle? Wow. Here, in the US, the soft drink and retail industries spend hundreds of millions of dollars a year fighting container deposit legislation.

Mr Zabe
02-02-2006, 10:49 PM
IMO...In Mexico there is a scarcity of materials. So it's a matter available material(existing glass) verses using petroleum products for plastic bottles.

MrR and I way off base with this?

[ 02-02-2006, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ramonazo
02-03-2006, 01:41 AM
MrZ. you're right there's a scarcity of materials, I remember once when I had the greatest priviledge to talk with the director of one of the Coke bottling plants in Aguascalientes, he told me that they have difficulties in launching new products and new presentations because the price of petroleum is getting high, and is getting more expensive making plastic bottles.

No Soda, I also think it's sad... :( , because wasting returnable glass bottles means that Coke will have to spend even more to buy new glass bottles, and that means an increase in the price of Coke... and maybe we have environmental measures... but if you come to Mexico someday, and you walk in the streets of any city, you'll find a lot of empty Coke or Pepsi plastic bottles on the floor... redface.gif

[ 02-03-2006, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

fusion
02-03-2006, 08:41 PM
The one-way glass bottles that are used in the US, at least the Coca-Cola ones, are made in Mexico.