PDA

View Full Version : walmart invented coke zero (well, sort of... )

popologist
01-26-2006, 03:39 PM
the article at the link is MOSTLY about powerade and a new delivery system at walmart.

however, it's also revealed that ORIGINALLY, coke zero was susposed to be sweetened with splenda!!! just as many of us said it should be (to cut down on confusion), BUT... it turns out, walmart suggested that coca-cola make a diet coke with splenda... and create a different version of coke zero (the one we have now).

my guess is that walmart figured that DC with Splenda was more likely to be a "hit" than some new drink called Coke Zero... probably because they were thinking about the "new coke" fiasco.

so... there you have it. the explanation to ALL the CONFUSION about WHY WHY WHY we got 2 new diet colas. (sigh)

anyway... about powerade...

http://www.beverageworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5254

Mr Zabe
01-26-2006, 03:55 PM
At the very least, the PowerAde news demonstrates the increasing power that Wal-Mart wields over suppliers. Wal-Mart also has been involved in Coke's new product development. Last year, Coke launched two new diet colas in the United States, Diet Coke with Splenda and Coke Zero. The beverage company had originally planned to launch just one drink, a cola sweetened with Splenda called Coke Zero. At the urging of Wal-Mart, Coke changed course.
I fail to understand what reason Wal-Mart wanted two new diet/low carb cola's. Also I know Wal-Mart is the US's and the world's largest in number and volume retailer;yet I just don't understand Coca Cola's reason in allowing an outside party manage their brands.

Please explain this to me as I am confused. smile.gif

greg
01-26-2006, 04:13 PM
I have learned in my years that: What Wal-Mart Wants, Wal-Mart gets.

ramonazo
01-26-2006, 06:04 PM
No doubt about it!, here in Mexico, Wal-Mart, along with their other supermarkets Bodega Aurrera, Superama and Sam's Club, is having a great market share, leaving behind stores like Comercial Mexicana, Gigante, Soriana, Chedraui (formerly Carrefour Mexico), etc. etc. But to be honest, the american Wal-Mart is 1,000 times better... :D

About Powerade... I think that Coke Consolidated and CCE want to do something similar that Coca-Cola Mexico is doing here in Mexico, as I mentioned in a previous post, Coca-Cola created a division called SALESKO in order to deliver the non-carbonated drinks of The Coca-Cola Company Mexico to supermarkets, drugstores and convenience stores nationwide. And a delivery and logistics company called EXEL are in charge of this delivery... so now in Mexico you can find a great variety of flavors of the non-carbonated drinks like: Powerade, Nestea, Minute Maid, Ciel Aquarius, Ciel Dasani and Spacio Leve...

For example, before the creation of Salesko, in my local Wal-Mart there was only few Powerade flavors: Berries, Fruit Punch, Lemon-Lime and Orange-Tangerine... now thanks to Salesko we have also Green Apple, Lemonade, Grapefruit, Citrus Mango and the Kiwi-flavor limited edition of the GOAL! movie... :D

[ 01-26-2006, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

the saint
01-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by greg:
I have learned in my years that: What Wal-Mart Wants, Wal-Mart gets. man you could not have squared the hammer up any better on the head of the nail on this one.LOL. The thing that gets me is they will come to Pepsi and want xx package that Pepsi doesn't even make so then it will be"exclusive" to walmart. Then they will send out numerous memos to the stores and half of the stores won't take it. Pepsi has to firesale it at other accounts or eat it and Walmart will see it and get mad because they are "exclusive" to that packaging.

fusion
01-26-2006, 11:21 PM
I would say they more invented DC w/ Splenda, not Zero. Zero was already in the works.

And I hear ya about the "exclusive packages," Saint. Same experience here. Even though we have national programs with them, they still have to be sold in at store level. And for some unknown reason, the store manager always likes to be involved in these decisions. How about delegating responsibility to your assistants?

01GTB
01-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
yet I just don't understand Coca Cola's reason in allowing an outside party manage their brands.

Please explain this to me as I am confused. smile.gif Walmart controls the universe

[ 01-26-2006, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

PepsiBlue
01-27-2006, 01:52 AM
i HATE wal*mart sometimes
Target is better

boodoo
01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah, Wally World is to retail what Coke and Pepsi are to the beverage community.

wonkapete
01-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Yea, last night at wal-mart, they had a 18 pack of Dr. Pepper cans.

How strange is that??

popologist
01-27-2006, 02:18 PM
how is diet coke with splenda doing, anyway? i see a lot of it in the stores, but i don't really see anyone drinking it.

overall, i'd say it's an improvement on regular diet coke, but i still think coke zero is 10x better.

what puzzles me is that A LOT of people actually LIKE the way diet coke tastes. they actually prefer it to regular coke.

either way, i can't figure out why walmart was concerned about whether coke zero was sweetened with splenda or not. weird...

[ 01-27-2006, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

ramonazo
01-28-2006, 12:19 AM
I saw a lot of DCS in Vegas...

ramonazo
02-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Unbelievable! Coca-Cola sues Coca-Cola :eek:

Around 50 Coca-Cola bottlers in the U.S. will sue The Coca-Cola Company and CCE as a result of the proposed implementation of the new distribution of Powerade: TCCC and CCE would directly place the product to the stores instead of the bottlers...

[ 02-14-2006, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

golee1
02-14-2006, 07:32 PM
There have been many lawsuits between the Coca-Cola Company and its bottlers in the past. On this matter, from what I've read I've got to side with the bottlers. Powerade coming in through the Wal-Mart warehouse takes away sales from the local bottler. I also fail to see how Wal-Mart will grow the brand faster doing it themselves than if it was kept as a DSD item. Many of the Wal-Marts I go into seem to have enough trouble keeping what they already handle stocked, without adding Powerade to the mix.

Mr Zabe
02-14-2006, 08:43 PM
When I shopped at Walmart for soda pop, it is very hit or miss as the shelves are not properly stocked or I have consistently shopped at times when sale volumes are strong. I guess that's one reason I do not shop their soda pop sales at the Big W.

[ 02-14-2006, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

XLS_04
02-15-2006, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by popologist:
what puzzles me is that A LOT of people actually LIKE the way diet coke tastes. they actually prefer it to regular coke.
thats what the Coca-Cola company has been saying for years thru diet Coke ads and articles online that is why alot of flavor extensions are introduced on their diet category first, because many people like the taste over regular Coke.

ChrisPC
03-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by popologist: what puzzles me is that A LOT of people actually LIKE the way diet coke tastes. they actually prefer it to regular coke. That was the whole point of Coke II.

Originally posted by popologist: either way, i can't figure out why walmart was concerned about whether coke zero was sweetened with splenda or not. weird... I think they wanted the Splenda version to be called Diet Coke instead of Zero, because Diet Coke sells better.

fusion
03-01-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by golee1:
Many of the Wal-Marts I go into seem to have enough trouble keeping what they already handle stocked, without adding Powerade to the mix. Ain't that the truth. Some items will go for over a week without being filled - and pallets and pallets of stuff in the backrooms. We turn over our backstock every day or so.

the saint
03-01-2006, 03:47 PM
{walmart manager voice)EVERY DAY OR SO!! YOU just don't know how to order properly. You should go truck to shelf only.(end)
My backroom stock is about a 2day possible 3 day at most, Sams choice ( I know it is wm baby but) seems to have whole pallets of every friggin flavor they make at all times and the shelves are still never full.

[ 03-01-2006, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: the saint ]

popologist
06-11-2006, 09:11 AM
here's another article that suggests walmart played a role in the creation of coke zero... or, at least, diet coke with splenda.

it's towards the bottom of the article:

http://bevnet.com/news/2006/06-08-2006-wal-mart_Coke_Powerade_CCE_private label.asp

shadowlp06
06-12-2006, 03:20 AM
Having have worked for Wal-Mart, I have been amazed what Wal-Mart gets from its suppliers. Wal-Mart wants a Coke vendor in all day on busy holidays to stock shelves, they get it. Wal-Mart wants a bigger bottle of this at a cheaper price, they get it. Whats that? You don't want to make a bigger bottle? Ok, then Company B will make us a cheaper bottle and bigger bottle. I didn't work on that side because I worked on preventing loss (shoplifters, internal theft, etc) but I've heard tons of talk about it. One thing I have always noticed. Wal-Mart never puts Coke or Pepsi on sale, at least in this area. Local stores will have 12 packs 2/5.00, and 2 liters for .69 but the price at Wal-Mart will be 3.89/12 pack, and 1.09 for a 2 liter. Never really got that. But having heard department managers complain, and vendors complain while I walked around the store, I could see Wal-Mart gets its way. They even had this program set up if a vendor came in and his count was short more than twice, that vendor was no longer allowed in the store. I saw numerous Coke and Pepsi vendors getting turned away because of wrong counts. But the classic moment eventually came when I caught a Coke vendor, stealing Pepsi products out of the backroom underneath his Coke load. This guy would take 12-packs of Pepsi product and load it in his Coke labeled boxes and then go out the backroom and load it into his Coke truck. Wow that was a good one!!! Sorry, got way off topic there...been a long day...

popologist
06-12-2006, 08:30 AM
the thing is... walmart got it wrong with diet coke w/ splenda. it's not really selling that well, is it? (or, at least, it's not really the blockbuster they expected).

of course, that probably has more to do with the taste (which i think is awful) than anything else.

cokepa
06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Yeah, diet with splenda isn't doing all that well here, IMO. Diet Coke drinkers seem to want Diet Coke, and don't want anyone messing with it. Diet Coke has quite a following.

By the way, it is not just Wal-Mart that demands exclusive packaging, etc. Other big retailers do as well. Of course Sam's Club, but also Costco, BJ's, Target, Home Depot, Bass Pro Shops. These have all had special packaging deals that have come through our warehouse. And usually too much of it gets torn apart and put in vending machines because the retailer didn't sell it all. This kind of thing must be a huge expense for bottlers.

popologist
06-13-2006, 12:03 AM
i think DC w/ Splenda is flopping because it just doesn't taste every good. it needs to be reformulated to get rid of that lemony after taste.

personally, i think it'd be smart to make coke zero the splenda drink, BUT... not if it ruins the taste.