PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Jones, Same Mistakes

Ron Swedelson
10-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I saw the new 12 packs today in Target. These 12 pack cans are the ugliest thing I can think of. They make Shasta look futureistic. Ugly cans, to much going on with the 12 pack holder, and a $3 something price point for 12, 12 oz. cans. Now why wouldnt a store owner just go buy a bunch of cans at 25 cents each, and sell them for 75 cents or $1 each. It would be cheaper than the bottles, same amount of liquid, and more profit for the stores. The 4 packs of energy drinks look good, no complaint there. But if I said 12 pack Jones cans, 4 pack Jones energy drinks, and 4 pack Jones glass soda, which one of thoes do not go with eachother. The 4 pack soda. Why? Because they are letting distributors deliver that and Jones is going direct with the 12 packs and Energy drinks. So they are once again hurting themselves with the distro. network and telling their distributors "We will send the profitable stuff outselves and keep the money, while you can deal with the breakables and less profitable cases. By the way, your 4 pack you will be selling, will be placed next to our 12 pack for about the same price. Run with the little guy." They are so not the little guy anymore. They are the sellouts. Just admit you are doing everything in your power to sell the company, or just let it be known that you only care about your bottom line $$ and not the health of your distro. network that is the lifeline of your product. By the way, Peter once told us that Jones would never go back to the 20 oz. plastic because it is against everything in their image. Glad they stick to their guns.

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-12-2004, 09:54 PM
do the cans have different labels on them?

Robot
10-12-2004, 10:41 PM
because of this thread, i just hit target and got a 12 pack of sugar free black cherry soda.. will be my first experience with this flavor, hope its good.

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-13-2004, 07:37 AM
it's fantastic

ichiro
10-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Ron, Ron, Ron. The can design kicks butt. The company is doing great, more and more people are finding the product and loving it. Don't be mad that you sold your shares in them @ 50 cents and now their at 4 Bucks. It seems in your world , they can't do anything right. Well, glad your not in charge. I love their products and...they are making me a rich man. God bless, Jones Soda...ichiro...the all time single season hiys record holder

turdferguson
10-13-2004, 05:56 PM
ron, can they do anything right in your eyes???? how did i know you would be the first one to rip on it???? what a shocker!!!!!! still jealous eh???? if you at all understood the beverage industry, it would be obvious as to why they had to go direct with target, and let the distributors bring in the glass in some markets.......as the mighty ichiro said, sorry bout your luck buddy....

fusion
10-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Does anyone have any idea who/where they are producing these? The ones I saw today were production code BA, boxes were Meadwestvaco, and the cardboard trays were from a plant in the greater Harrisburg PA area.

Ron Swedelson
10-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Anything right in my eyes? Didnt I say the 4 pack energy looked good? Tell me, what looks good about a Jones Soda can. The company that is all about their logo and design and leading in inovation. And they come out with a can with no Jones Soda pictures, just a blank can, without their "Run with the little guy story". You know the, "The last thing the world needed was another soda, so here is one more for you" or something like that. I saw the Straw. Lime soda, and it was just a red can with Jones Soda printed on it and Strawberry Lime Soda across the top. So bland and completaly against all of Jones Sodas marketing and whole concept. They would not even bring back the 20 oz plastic with different labels because it was against their conecpt. Please explain to me turd, as a supplier, I understand what they went direct with it. But if I were a distributor, please explain to me how you once again skipped over your distro. channel and decided to go direct with all the profitable items, but asked your distributors, who will service the same store, to go in with another one of their items? Why not let the distributors bring in the energy drinks as well? Plus the price just doenst make sence. Why have a 12 oz, 12 pack of Jones soda for $3.50 right next to the 4 pack of 12 oz for $3.99? I just dont see it. And Ichi and turd, Im glad you are making money in the stocks. I am not jellous, and I sold them much lower than .50 cents. I think I only got about 33 cents and a week later about 27 cents. Looking at my stock porfolio, I would have earned about $4300 by now, if I kept it. Problem is, and this is why I dont care or feel jelouse. I would of had to of sold them last year when I bought my house. So a year ago I would have only gotten about $2800. Great, pay 1/4 of my closing costs. By the way, my house I bought @$422,000, is now worth over $550,000 in just over a year. So you get rich on stocks, I will keep my money in the Bay Area Housing Market. No worries over here.
But please explain to me ichi how the can idea kicks butt, as generic as it is, and how that goes with their conecpt. And Turd, explain to me why they should keep going direct with all their items and screw their disto. network, who they need.

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-13-2004, 10:46 PM
ron, it's so much easier to have the cans go through with target. how many targets could one jones distributor have in their area? let's say six. now how many flavors are in the cans? a pallet of each of those, just for some targets? the hell with that. no warehouse would want that. you think faygo needs six more pallets for just ten stores?

my beer dist. used to have the exclusive kroger co. beers. we had pallets of em for all of six stores. ten beers, 20 pallets of beer, six stores. needless to say we ditched it soon as possible. i doubt faygo in michigan would care about this loss of a few cases.

fusion
10-14-2004, 12:30 AM
It's not just about cases. It's about that sinking feeling that you may wake up tomorrow and Jones tells you they're going direct with the glass, too. And that they're doing it with Wally World, 7-11, Kroger, etc, etc. Then you watch the brand that you've built up for years has been yanked out from underneath you.

It's not going to affect the big guys as much as the little guys.

I noticed that Bisek (military broker) now deals Jones. It's in the commissary I service.

turdferguson
10-14-2004, 11:37 AM
wow, you must be loaded dude!!!! a 422k house, right......plus its value increased over 130k in 1 year, why thats almost unbelievable....almost......and i live in a castle with a flowing jones soda waterfall (whichever flavor i want) and swedish bikini girls too.....it was worth 2.3 kabillion when i bought it, but now (after only 17 days) its worth 119.76 mcbillion!!!! can u believe it????? well you guys can dabble in the little stock market game, im sticking to the nutjob property values!!!!!!!!!!!! and i will continue to be a moron and put personal financial information about myself on the computer for everyone to see.....

Ron Swedelson
10-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Feel free to check out the San Francisco houseing market anytime you want. I live in San Ramon, see what you can find out here. Plus you got to think, If I am the only one who puts their name on this site, why, because why do I care. If you dont want to believe about the house, thats cool, I dont care. If you want to look it up, look at the realestate in the San Ramon area.
RWTLG, here in the east bay, the distributor covers 18 stores in the Alameda/Contra Costa county and another 6 in the San Jose area. I am sure there are areas that only have a few stores. But ok, so go direct with the cheap cans, but what about the energy drinks? The distributors sell them anyway, why not allow them to distribut them to the stores since they will bring the soda bottles anyway. And yes, it is part of the dist. fear that Jones will allow the dist. to do the work, then pull it and go direct. These are the things that keep distributors from loving Jones as a company. Jones will get these out of the way places in the Mall and expect the distributors to deliver there to a store they do not go to as a normal account. But something like Jones were all the distributors go, they go direct. Just doesnt seam right to me. Also, I like the design of the 4 pack energy drink, but the price is not something I agree with either. It is $4.99 for a 4 pack of energy drinks. So $1.25 per can. So right off the bat they are bastardizing their brand. Again, the stores can go and buy these energy drinks cheaper than they can get them from the distributors. Now if $1.25 was an into/promo price, ok, I guess. But it is their normal price on the shelf. Were do you go from there. Yes, energy drinks are very cheap to produce ($6-$8 a case), but just like with the sodas, how can they go direct with items, and as the distributor to sell to everyone else, but at a higher price than the store sells it for. Please explain it to me.

turdferguson
10-15-2004, 08:21 AM
oh ron....im just messing with you....ok, now you bore me thats all.

Ron Swedelson
10-15-2004, 08:42 PM
sorry I wasnt more exciting. I think the lack of excitment from the Jones 12 pack cans must have rubbed off on me.

sodasommelier
10-16-2004, 12:44 AM
Ron,

As you know "Al" is "Aluminum" on the periodic chart but it's "Alzheimers" to you and me smile.gif

Just had to comment on your new Jones remarks!!!

Ron Swedelson
10-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks SS, I am sure you are a fan of the crap in a Can put out by Jones, right?

Ron Swedelson
10-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Thanks SS, I am sure you are a fan of the crap in a Can put out by Jones, right?

sodasommelier
10-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Ron I think the only way you could assume that is because "fan" rhymes with "can"! So does "ban" and that's what should be done with the 'can'... and all cans forever as far as I'm concerned!!! Don't get canned; get real... that's what I say!

Hey Ron by the way... glad to hear you're doing well and your house has gained in value. Hey if you ever relocate and want to start your own sodabiz (in a city without one already) let me know! smile.gif

Ron Swedelson
10-17-2004, 08:36 PM
You know you would be one of the first I would call. No cans, all the great glass, what more could you want.

Ron Swedelson
10-17-2004, 08:37 PM
You know you would be one of the first I would call. No cans, all the great glass, what more could you want.

Ron Swedelson
10-18-2004, 08:26 PM
More great from Jones. I just heard they are sending 4 pack energy drinks direct to SaveMart, an 82 store chain out here in CA. Whats bad about that, the distributors are already selling their sodas to all the stores. So once again Jones is going direct to a traditional beverage outlet that their distributors already service. I dont get that. Plus I just saw a Chevron schemadic and Jones energy is on it. I was talking to the distributor about it, they said Jones is going direct with that as well. Hopefuly they will cut the "litle guy" off their slogan. I just dont get how Jones thinks they wont hurt their distro. network by going direct to all these stores that the distributors already service.

bigbottom
10-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Wake up america!

Robot
10-19-2004, 12:33 PM
hey, can anyone tell me if they still sell the fudge soda in stores or is that cancelled?

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-19-2004, 09:35 PM
lots around lansing, michigan. i think we're only a four hour drive jimmy, tops

Ron Swedelson
10-20-2004, 12:23 AM
let me go back and say I was mistaken about the chevron thing. A co-worker showed me the new schemadics mixed in with other chevron paper work, the two were not related. Jones has enough flaws to point out without given wrong facts.

Robot
10-20-2004, 04:13 AM
next time i am in michigan maybe ill take a peak around.. you think there'd be some in benton harbor?

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-20-2004, 09:49 AM
no