PDA

View Full Version : Trip to South Carolina / Moving to Providence

T.I.A.
06-10-2003, 11:06 PM
This upcoming Friday I'm leaving on a road trip to South Carolina. We're going down Route 29 from Charlottesville and connecting with Interstate 85 in Greensboro. We're stopping about 45 minutes beyond Charlotte. Any drink meccas I should check out?

In August I'm moving to Providence, Rhode Island, northwest of downtown (Elmhurst neighborhood, IIRC). Any places I should check out?

DietCokeEnthusiast
06-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Hey, Rhody is a great place! But, we get really crappy distribution. Crappy Distribution + No PiBB=??

I dunno,but there are tons of great places in Rhode Island, and they are all relatively close (considering that the state is like 50 miles long, LOL)

Clarke

SamC
06-11-2003, 06:26 PM
In that part of SC, you will be a little west for Blenheim ginger ale, but I would look for it anyway.

Also, look for Cheriwine. Especially if you can find a store that has that Dr Pepper-ish product as a frozen (Slurpie/Icee) drink. Sundrop.

T.I.A.
06-11-2003, 09:49 PM
We actually carry Blenheim in our store, so I'm very familiar with that. We get that from Fitzgerald Dist. near Richmond.

I'll look out for Cheerwine.

Clarke, distribution problems are nothing new here. I'm sick of seeing commercials for products for a year before I ever see them in real life.

Boris
06-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Where are places along 95 that sell cheerwine in nc and sc?

FitzgeraldHead
06-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Rocky Mount, NC for sure.

drpep
06-23-2003, 10:50 AM
The Exxon in Lumberton, NC.

teamtitan512
06-23-2003, 02:22 PM
You can't get Cheerwine in or around Charlottesville? The RC bottler just to the west in Harrisonburg, Staunton, and Waynesboro carries it I know in 12 packs and 2 liters, didn't see anything glass. Bottlers I guess would have to be different considering the Dr Pepper products in that region are separate from RC, whereas RC has them in Charlottesville. You couldn't have anchored a bottling company on A&W, Sunkist, and Canada Dry. Pepsi in Charlottesville screwed things up for RC there considering they had Mountain Dew, Dr Pepper, and they did have 7UP (although that's changed I believe).

T.I.A.
06-23-2003, 09:26 PM
I haven't seen Cheerwine in Charlottesville, but I did see two liters of Cheerwine yesterday at the Food Lion in Lovingston, VA, about 35 minutes south of CVille on US 29.

My trip report will be coming soon.

teamtitan512
06-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Blue Ridge Bottling is the company I believe in and around Harrisonburg and Staunton. They also serve Roanoke and Lynchburg, where Lovingston is most likely distributed product from.

T.I.A.
06-28-2003, 05:38 PM
My South Carolina Trip Report

I apologize, as I failed to get store info for most of the products.

Fanta Peach and Pineapple - 20 oz. plastic - I love this stuff. Different flavors than most sodas and much more realistic flavors than I was expecting. Fanta is now my favorite soda brand.

Sundrop - 12 oz. glass - Similar to Sprite, but I don't like it as much. It had an aftertaste I found to be a bit funny and it seemed to be overly sweet. A quality product, but not my taste.

Cheerwine - 12 oz. glass - I found this Cheerwine in Southern VA or Northern NC. In the Carolinas, Cheerwine was everywhere, though I only saw glass in 2 locations. This was the first time I'd had Cheerwine since I moved from Georgia when I was 12. A good product. I liked it better than Sundrop, a quality product, but I wouldn't drink it regularly.

Mello Yello Cherry - 20 oz. plastic - Purchased at a gas station in Douglass, SC (Fairfield County). This was very generic tasting. Very disappointed at the time, though I did finish the bottle (it was HOT).

Dr. Enuf - glass - I didn't like this at all. It also reminded me of Sprite, but with a very herb-like aftertaste. I managed two sips. Ick.

Stewart's Strawberries n' Cream - 12 oz. glass - Exxon in Raphine, Virginia - I have been looking for this for my store for months! To find it an hour away is both pleasing and frustrating. I enjoyed it. A little more tart than Fanta Strawberry. Very enjoyable.

I think that's it. Saw Northern Neck in 20 oz. plastic the other day -- Very dissappointing.

T.I.A.
06-28-2003, 08:15 PM
I also tried Yoo Hoo Double Fudge (or whatever it's called) for the first time. Reminded me of brownie batter. Good taste, but I couldn't finish it. Just too much of it. I also think it could be thicker.

fusion
08-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Just a quick report on my Virginia trip. Found MM Limeade in Central territory around Charlottesville.. good stuff.

Although I was very suprised when I hit Pepsi Shenendoah country.. in Madison VA, I found them still with 7-Up (from CPG Pepsi Atlanta), while Blue Ridge Bottling (3rd tier) had Sierra Mist. Very odd. Further south, P-S did have Mist, though. P-S also sells Cheerwine.

I drove all around Staunton looking for cane sugar DP, but alas, none was to be found. Lots of CF Pepper, though (12pk/2L/20oz).. And I also kept coming across 24oz 6pk and 24pk CF Diet Pepper, neither of which I had seen before.

Nothing else particularly exciting to report.

teamtitan512
08-29-2003, 10:07 PM
Winchester RC does those Dr Pepper 24 oz.6 packs, along w/Mountain Dew, just because people nearby see them w/Pepsi, so they expect them to be here. They used to do 7Up ones too.

Blue Ridge Bottling is the RC bottler, not the 3rd tier bottler. The third tier bottler has Dr Pepper, Mountain Dew, A&W, Sunkist, Sierra Mist, and Canada Dry only, RC is independent, and has Cheerwine w/Diet Rite and maybe some other brands. I didn't see much Blue Ridge stuff there.

Pepsi Shenandoah is very interesting, they still have 7Up, they have Sun Drop, NuGrape, and a lot of other interesting stuff around Waynesboro and Staunton when I was there last in April.

T.I.A.
08-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Where did you find Minute Maid Limeade around CVille? I've only seen Orange and Grape sodas from MM.

Tried Thai Red Bull today. 250 ML can, short and fat and gold. Non-carbonated, but otherwise same old taste. Got it on Washington street in Boston (Chinatown).

fusion
08-31-2003, 01:14 AM
It might have been further north, my memory is a bit fuzzy.. It was at a Kroger, I do remember that much.

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-31-2003, 11:31 AM
lordy, pepsi shanendoah sure sounds weird. i wish i lived out down there and not in michigan where everything's pretty much homogenic.

i do like being in lansing wiht the indie canada dry bottler and seeing full 7up product displays but with no sunkist, instead it's crush! and seeing CD in abarta crates is a kick too.

teamtitan512
08-31-2003, 06:50 PM
I see Canada Dry in PA in CCE crates. Kinda different.

I've recently discovered that Pepsi Shenandoah (CPG product) does Loudoun County, so 7Up is there w/Pepsi. I didn't see any Sun Drop, NuGrape, or some of their other unconventional offerings.

However, DPSU is different, because it's RC Winchester, who has Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew. Loudoun County, therefore, is a zone where the terrible Sierra Mist can not be bought. This comforts me. Too bad this bottling arrangement never took over the rest of the DC Metro area. Coke in Loudoun County is CCE Mid-Atlantic, who is doing a hell of a job there, I've never seen so much Coke shelf space, and variety in regular markets. In the Giant (MD) I went to though, they desperately need more room for RC Winchester, they've give too much to Pepsi who has about nothing there (Pepsi, 7Up, Schweppes...that's about it..surprised there was no Mr. Green, the southern areas had it). RC was given maybe 15 2L slots for Mountain Dew, Dr Pepper, RC, A&W, Sunkist, Canada Dry, Welch's, Hawaiian Punch and Country Time.

Saw 24 oz. bottles in Coke and Sprite only (no Diet...weird), and MM Limeade in Central territory in 20 oz.

fusion
08-31-2003, 09:31 PM
There was a production shortage on Diet 24oz, that's why you didn't see it. I know we were out of it for a good week and a half. Poor Richmond production is so overworked.. 24oz, 20oz, 16.9oz, cans, 2L, and they now also have a Dasani line.

teamtitan512
09-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Also consider they do 1/2 liters of Minute Maid Lemonade and Seagram's for Central Coke as well, just to add to their already large load.

Lucky for them Central's 1/2 liters come from Roanoke's Consolidated facility in Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite.

Dasani comes from either II or KM here, Washington, PA or a CCE-NY facility.