PDA

View Full Version : what soda to serve in my new cafe?

gsusser
10-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Hi everyone. My small 20 seat cafe should be opening in about 6 weeks. I'm primarily selling a large variety of grilled cheese sandwiches, milk shakes, fries, coffee and pastries. Basically, it's upscale retro food. Keeping with that concept, I'd like to carry out of the ordinary sodas. This is not my forte though, and I was hoping to get some ideas. I hear a lot about Henry Weinhard, but have no idea how to get in touch with a distributor. Thanks for any advice.

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-14-2004, 05:13 PM
contact a miller distributor in your area for Hweinhards.

some of the east coast guys can give you better availability on other sodas, but you are on the right path!

Robot
10-14-2004, 05:13 PM
maybe try that new sprecher soda line from milwaukee...

XLS_04
10-14-2004, 10:16 PM
you can always buy flavored extracts to add in the soda's.

drpep
10-14-2004, 10:22 PM
If you are in New Jersey you should serve Boylans.

Hacksaw
10-15-2004, 04:06 AM
Yes, by all means, carry Boylan's, Frostie, or Whooppee. Gray's & Capt'n. Eli's Root Beer are also great. Sprecher has a pretty good RB & Cream Soda, but their Ginger Ale made me gag, & their Orange Cream is not best in class.

gsusser
10-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Many thanks for all of the responses.

I know and love Boylan, but since I'm located nearby, a lot of other places carry it and I wouldn't be so different. However, the economics of it might persuade me.

Henry Weinhard seems a tough nut to crack and I have a feeling there's no distributor here in NJ. I've gone through a bureaucratic maze with Miller and still haven't gotten very far -- like no one seems to even know of HW's existence. But I'm still trying.

I also considered Moxie, but there's no distributor that delivers here. I'd have to drive an hour to get it. Is it worth it?

What about Hank's? There's a possibility I can get a distributor to deliver to me.

And Jones? That is readily available.

Last, and I like this idea a whole lot - there's a company, Forest Park Premium Beverage (no website), that does private labeling and makes a lot of claims about their soda. Sounded good on the phone plus I'd love to have my own label on the bottle. They're shipping me samples. Has anyone heard of them?.

Boy, this is a lot of work, but a lot of fun too.

drpep
10-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by gsusser:
I also considered Moxie, but there's no distributor that delivers here. I'd have to drive an hour to get it. Is it worth it?
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

drpep
10-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Don't make Moxie your only soda. It has a unique taste, kinda like motor oil and creosote with a touch of Massingel. You will either love it or hate it.

sodasommelier
10-16-2004, 02:04 AM
Don't waste your time with Hanks or Jones... not only is that stuff sold in junky places but it's really blah blah.

You want HWeinhards and about 1100 different longneck sodas to choose from then you should order a mixed pallet of 72 sodas from Realsoda at
310 326 9202 x102. You could fill a truck container with all different cases if you're so inclined and most of them aren't available anywhere else in NJ. Oh yeah... and they're really good too!

Lord Turbine
10-16-2004, 04:00 AM
Definately Frostie... get as many bottles of Blue Cream as you can. If you're after the teenage crowd, go after Red Bull, Nehi, Jones, and Jolt. Try some novelty bottled drinks, and get some Crush (of all flavors) into your fridge if possible.

Glad to be of service! Signing off!

gsusser
10-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Well, you've all been a great deal of help, as has this board in general. Thank you thank you.

The 3 viable and economical options so far seem to be Boylan, Whoopee or that private bottler who sent samples, Forest Park Premium Beverages. [I can put my private label on the bottles.] The others mentioned don't seem to have distributors in northern NJ.

Sodasommelier, according to Real Soda's website, they don't deliver to NJ. I'd really like to carry a bunch of different and unique sodas, but that doesn't seem to be possible at wholesale prices, not to mention I can't seem to find a distributor in this area like Real Soda.

I can't see paying much more than $15/case. The economics just don't work.

Another factor is the refrigerator display case. Generally these come free or at a discount if you buy the product from 1 distributor. Those things are expensive, almost $1000 for what I have in mind.

If you were in my place, what would you do?

[who is Frostie? I didn't see them listed on http://www.nsda.org/Brands/]

Lord Turbine
10-17-2004, 10:50 PM
I've been looking for Google on Frostie... I can't find it... I'll ask the owner of my local liquor store where he gets his stock.

Hacksaw
10-18-2004, 02:32 AM
If you look on that NSDA site under Leading Edge Flavors Inc. you will find them. Their site is:
http://www.leadingedgebrands.com/

Whooppee is great, but the product line is limited; Cola, Lemon-Lime :cool: , Cherry-Lime Rickey, Cocoa Cream, & Citrus Smash :cool: . Maybe they will add some more flavors. They are out of Hackensack, New Jersey, lucky you.

Forget Jones IMHO, & try EACH of the Moxie flavors before you think of selling them. :eek:

Maybe Cheerwine, Virgil's, & Bubble Up, if you can get them.

Red Bull is popular, & Jolt has demand.

[ 10-18-2004, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Hacksaw ]

TiffyTreat
10-18-2004, 09:59 AM
Go Cocoa Creme

Hacksaw
10-19-2004, 08:45 PM
2 other lines come to mind: AJ's Soda, & Avery's Beverages. I have yet to try any of the Avery's lineup, but this site gave it good reviews.

AJ's is OK, yet not great, but it is different.