PDA

View Full Version : Surge

Fixx
08-05-1999, 02:03 AM
Just to share a little story which happened to me this past weekend.
I had been surfing and needed to get my "fill of grease after being in the water". I stopped by my local Jack In The Box.
While I was waiting a couple came in to get their "fill of grease" and a soda out of the fountain. They tried (as they so eloquently put it) "the citrus soda". The wife (generation X age) drank a bit of it to taste beforehand. Then told her husband (also Generation X age) this has no flavor to it. I found myself muttering "well that is Surge for you".
Thought that was an interesting story because if their target market is saying things like that. Then that brand is not long for this life. Well maybe so, CCE will continue to pump money into the brand and keep it alive.
I am actually curious. Anyone seen the Nielsens on the brand and its sales trends?
Later.

Eric
08-13-1999, 08:57 PM
I can tell you in the Lincoln NE area, that Surge is improving a little. Overall, I don't know the sales trend. Mountain Dew took 30 years to get where they are today, so Surge has a ways to go. Also, there are so many soft drinks and non-carbonated drinks out there vieing for market share that any new product introduced will have a hard time.
Pepsi's new Storm, Storm Light, and Pepsi One
are not faring well, they are giving it away over here.

FitzgeraldHead
08-15-1999, 09:13 PM
Once again, I find that my opinion has taken over for what I have to say about Surge. I find more and more people saying that Surge is awsome because 'It gives me an extra boost of energy' or 'The sugar amount in this drink makes me hyper'. Well I think that what they say is bull****! Surge's reputation is just in its name to them. They don't even care about the flavor. Maybe I'm just talking to the wrong people.

PeaceKitty
08-16-1999, 01:27 AM
Why do u think people drink Jolt? Or chew Caffeine gum? Not because of the taste (because it nasty) but because of what it can do (caffeine rush).

Anywayz Surge goes in the same catagory as Mountian Dew, for me that is. Which means i really don't like it. Only cool thing about it is that its the color of anti-freeze. IMHO atleast.

PK, Typo Queen

psalife
04-18-2000, 07:56 PM
Well, I guess I gotta stand up for my fav. Coke product. Here are my thoughts, I think that SURGE is very diffrent from "Dew" becouse it seems more like a Dew/Citra mix.
As for the fact that SURGE has little flavor, Just like Diet Coke SURGE is very gross in fountain form it is usally very tasteless, I dont know why. The reason I like SURGE is that its is a mild citrus soda. The reason I hate Dew is that it is so sweet that it makes it hard for me to drink a 20 oz, Its also way too carbonated to "chug" it has the WORST diet version that I have EVER had! Yes It does anger me when people try to sell SURGE as a drink that makes you super hyper, becouse its just not true. Some people drink Dew just becouse they think it gives you less energy. SURGE is always generalized by parents with small kids becouse of the above reason. I think that in the future we will see more light citrus drinks such as the Jolt Citrus blast. SURGE has its problems but most a becouse of the marketing, not the drink itself. SURGE has been treated very poorly by everybody. Most of whom do know all the facts such as parents, teachers, and your general Pepsi drinker. All I ask is that it is judged more fairly that it.

Thanks,
Avery

Fixx
04-18-2000, 09:02 PM
Poor marketing??? What are you talking about?? Coke is one of the masters of marketing and most of that is distribution which they have the best system in the world so I dont buy this marketing. Imagine if brands like SoBe or some of the other New Age brands had that kind of system in place where would they be for sales.

Fact: The best marketing is distribution and Coke did its best to get it everywhere and was pretty successful. At that point it became a choice of the consumer and the pull through was not quite there. Makes you wonder what the future is for Surge now that they are trying to sell Citra throughout the US.
Later.

Hans
04-18-2000, 11:42 PM
I estimate good that i-gotta for mine fave are above. Coke product. My thoughts are, I think here that CURRENT DRAW is very diffrent "of the rope" because, which seems he to more like one Dew/Citramischung. Which concerns the fact the fact that CURRENT DRAW has few flavour straight like Diaetkoks is in the well form, which is very tasteless it usally, i don't knows why very roughly. The reason which I like CURRENT DRAW, is that its a mild Zitrusfruchtsoda is. Reason, which I hate rope, is that it that it forms it hard, so that I drink 20 an ounce its also way also "chug is so sweet, " it the FALSe diet version has, which I had AT ALL! He annoys me, if people try to sell CURRENT DRAW as beverage labels you superhyper, because its even does not align. Soak from of some people even becouse, which they think that it gives you fewer energy. CURRENT DRAW becomes always from the source materials with small Zickleinbecouse above of the g.

Hans

psalife
04-19-2000, 07:32 AM
hi,
Let me clarify my past statement. I am 15 I go to high school here is whats happening at my school and others in my distict. At my school we have both Coke and Pepsi machines. Everybody goes to the pepsi machines becouse thats what "cool" people our age do. The few who go to the coke machines are "losers" why I ask? well becouse coke's ads dont appeal to young people. I even have to admit as a fan I think they suck, they seem designed for old people. On the other end Pepsi's ads are cute an loveable yet also they chalenge Coke head on. With catchy slogans and popular people (Tom Green) They are daring and diffrent coke. Doesnt seem to realize that it is loseing its young crowd FAST! As for Citra I can tell you here it is doing HORRIBLE sells just a little than half the units SURGE does.
To me Citra is "SURGE lite" but I think Fresca is better. As for Sobe Im not quite sure about its reason for success. Sobe is a "cool" drink the herbal extracts sure help. I dont know how well it sells compaired to SURGE( I dont have any numbers). I dont claim to know everything, And I do know that many people just dont like SURGE I respect that. But many people dont drink it becouse its isnt "cool". And that isnt right.

Thanks,
Avery

dr pepperman
04-19-2000, 06:29 PM
Why would todays young people want to drink a beverage that has the word mellow in its name?

gecko
04-19-2000, 08:14 PM
personally, our schools(baltimore co. area) are OWNED by coke. but from what ive noticed, no one really buys them. ive never seen one student go up to a coke machine and buy a coke product. plenty of teachers do it though. i personally dont like pepsi or coke products, but if i had to pick id pick pepsi.

PeaceKitty
04-22-2000, 03:19 AM
Wow and old post. http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/smile.gif

First off surge (I mean SURGE) isn't so different from MD. Oh yes anything in fountian turns to crap because the people in charge of that place is usually cheap and trying to milk it for all its got. I've gone to places that aren't stingy w/ their syrup but thats few in the fast foot business atleast.

Wow thats really twisted. Kids slaping on names like "loser" because of a soda? At my HS no one could care less. Of course our machines don't just sell coke in one and pepsi in another. Still it seems like a very silly thing to use to act cool.

As for it being marketed for old people. uh er no. I don't even watch TV much but when i do see a coke ad its usually some really lame w/ a bunch of people -trying- to look cool.

Infact i think most soda commercials are trynig to get the younger generation interested. Even Dr Pepper is pumping out those lame "we are cool" ads on TV.

I'd have to say that i really enjoyed the sprite ad on TV w/ the sun and the family fleeing in terror. What was all that weird anime/rapping/tranformer ads about i only saw it a couple times (not a TV person remember?) and was always left confused. How was this supose to sell the drink, what was the storyline behind all that?

surgefeedtherush
04-22-2000, 10:07 AM
PeaceKitty, I think you hit the nail right on the head. Coke's ads usally sport young people ages about 16-21 in the middle of a hot summer on a swing or at the pool drinking an ice cold bottle of Coke Classic. Compair this to the totaly awesome Mtn. Dew commercial at the superbowl with the biker raceing the chetah and then jumping on top of it. Now thats what get us young peoples attencion something interesting high action.
Extream Sports, Chuging, Computer Graphics and the like are in. Sitting on your deck sipping a drink just arnt what we do anymore.

Thanks, Avery (psalife)

P.S. That Sprite commercial with the little creature was really cool!

Fixx
04-23-2000, 12:36 AM
So as a beverage marketer you are telling me that all I have to do is to put a cool commercial together and the youth will buy it?? hmmm.........now WHY didnt I think of that. haha

Later.

ps- PK good to see you back on the board. Keep em coming http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/smile.gif

PeaceKitty
04-23-2000, 03:12 PM
Wow http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/smile.gif someone things i'm right, scary huh?

Coke tries to get out for everyone. Most of the TV ads are for younger people because who ends roots their ***** in front of the TV more than anyone else? That doesn't mean they don't try and slip in something for the older generation. IMHO the one w/ the blacks kids out in the middle of no where saying that they heard its like kissing a girl. and the "i sure hope so" THat was cute. I can't see some kid jumping up and down all hyped up to buy it after that. It seems more of a "oh how cute" ad. Trying to be "deep" which, frankly, most of my generation can't get yet.

Marketers are funny. Sometimes it think they've never had/used the product they are trying to sell. Usually this is a good thing because they can make it sound better than it really is.

Heh even Mt Dew and Surge had similar ads. Such as a bunch of guys doing exterme sports. Surge is supose to give you a high energy boost but thats just marketing. Caffeine will help along w/ sugar but nothing hypes up the body like the subconsious mind. Its not so different than when Dr Pepper di the 10-2-4 ads way back when.

Fixx: http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/smile.gif i try. I really do. But i'm just a kid w/ wayyy to much freetime who just likes to talk sodas rather than know anything about them. I do come on here every now and then but usually i have nothing to say. Only thing i really know about is Dr Pepper and heh, we did about all there way to on that subject already

surgefeedtherush
04-24-2000, 08:35 AM
hey,
Peace Kitty, I couldnt agree more, it isnt the caffine that makes you hyper its the fact that you KNOW caffine is in the drink. Jolt is nothing if you think its caffine free, its all in the mind. On thing I would like to point out is the lack of women in Surge/Dew commercials. I think that a very good part of the Surge/Dew market is women so why do all their ads have only men? I'm a guy and I wouldnt mind seeing some females in commercials.

Thanks,
Avery

elian
04-30-2000, 01:57 PM
I wash up onshore in America. Fisherman give me Surge. I take big gulp and spit it out. "If this is what America has to offer, throw me back in the ocean and let me drink seawater" I holler.

xJABBERWOCKx
04-30-2000, 02:40 PM
To the above poster: Amen to that!

As for the Mountain Dew/Surge commercials, they SUCK! You're absolutely right, surgefeedtherush. I hate Surge, so I couldn't care less about their commercials,but MD commercials are the worst! Busta Rhymes?! Extreme sports?! Blech. Also, a lot of males are turned away from MD because of "the rumor" (a lie, BTW), so the advertisers aren't even appealing to their target audience. A more appropriate commercial for MD would be to have a pale and scrawny cool-nerdy type sitting drowsily before a computer, moaning about pulling an all nighter, then having his dorm-mate come in with a six-pack of dew. The computer nerd thanks the lord for his good luck...blah, blah, you get the picture. Extreme sports players don't drink Mountain Dew. It's for computery kids like me.

chrislee
05-01-2000, 04:34 AM
That's a funny thing about the MD ads not being female oriented. I don't think MD has tried to hard with that market, but they have ahd a few TV ads that were slanted towards women. One of the two that I can think of were where the women were screaming and then all in unison "did the dew"(chugged it down). There was a group of guys there and their reaction was Keanu Reeves-esque "Whoa". The other commercial was a pair of skydiving snowboarders where it's like a date. The guy produces a MD and the girl grabs and pulls his ripcord, eliminating him from the picture. These ads certainly seemed to me like "Girl Power" ads.

MD ceratinly has a lot more going for it from a product standpoint than Surge or Citra. I personally think it's a higher quality beverage (compared to it's competitors). It always has a consistant flavor even from fountain. Whereas the competiton is quite lackluster in that area.

I also find that because the carbonation is low in MD I can drink it faster and it's "Chuggability" is much much higher than Surge or Citra.

As far as the MD ads "sucking" I'm not so sure about that. They do seem to reach thier target markets and quite a bit of thier fringe markets as well. Successfully tying a soft drink to Snoboarding, Skateboarding, and Mountain Biking is an amazing marketing feat which Coke has not been able to do as of yet.
Hats off to Pepsi for such brilliance. Thier market penetration for this product is astounding. All my neices and nephews "go" for MD over surge because they think it's "cooler". Pepsi also has some additional tricks that I think makes the product stand out better than Surge or Citra. The packaging is "cooler" Large mouth 12, 20, 24 Oz. and 1 liter containers. Special 24 Oz. 6 pack packaging. Make the drink seem like the people who made it were thinking about the consumer instead of thinking about volume.

Anyway some more of my meandering drivel http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/smile.gif

-chrislee

jgator5
05-01-2000, 01:22 PM
My feeling is that Surge is another failed Coke product. I actually prefer Mello Yello over Mountain Dew, but much prefer Mountain Dew over Surge. Surge's marketing rubs me the wrong way too. "A lightly carbonated Citrus soda loaded with carbos!" That just means it has a lot of sugar. Bleech!

surgefeedtherush
05-01-2000, 04:28 PM
This post is to address some of the comments in above posts. First off I cant say I agree with Dew being less carbonated. I think thats incorrect atleast in my area. As for Citra and Surge being low quality, I understand those who dislike Surge it has a very diferent and original taste that many/most dont like. However Citra on the other hand I see as someday totally killing Dew. Why? Becouse Citra is doing well, growing quickly,it is going national, its cooler( more hip) than fresca and also more flavorfull, it has more down to earth and funny ads (more realistic), it isnt old and let me say outdated as Dew. Unlike Dew your parents didnt drink Citra when they were kids (kinda kills the whole idea of Dew being the drink of rebels dosent it?) Citra is a well researched, well advertised, fresh, new,and in what seems to me a fairly untapped market, the people looking for citrus soda with no caffine. I say Citra will be a home run for Coke. And thats good cus Im sick of Dew!

Thanks,
Avery

xJABBERWOCKx
05-01-2000, 05:13 PM
MD outdated? I don't know..It's a classic. I wouldn't call Coke or Stewarts root beer "outdated" just because they proved popular enough to last...and who cares if my parents used to drink MD (which they didn't, but...)? I like beverages for taste and caffeine, not "rebellion".

Anyway, I don't know if tying sports to a beverage is really that brilliant. It's been done a million times before (Pepsi, Gatorade)..

I never saw anybody drink or purchase a Citra in my life, except my dad. Anyway, the taste is quite different from Mountain Dew, so I don't think they have anything to worry about

Sick of Dew?! I'm going to forget you said that.

chrislee
05-01-2000, 07:37 PM
I wasn't talking about the concept of tying a drink into sports as being brilliant. It was the _execution_ of tying MD into "extreme" sports (a segment coke seems to have problems with) that I thought was excellent on Pepsi's part.

Nowadays you can't have a snowboard competition without seeing tons of MD banners and ads. Or any of the x-games events? Instead of "Always Coca-Cola" it's "Do the Dew".

-chrislee

surgefeedtherush
05-01-2000, 09:12 PM
I think this is the perfect time for me to tell you my opinon on why some drinks are popular and others are not, even if they are almost exactly the same. It comes down to advertisements plain and simple, ads go above taste, design, level of calories, and even distribution. Why? becouse we beleve what we see. Dew has been able to use the X-Sport market to sell its soda to wanna-be's and posers it has also had success with real X-Sport people. Why? well it leads us back to ads. What is the difrence between Dew and Mello Yello? I can hardly tell, What about Mr. Pibb and Dr. Pepper? Citra and Fresca?
RC, Coke,Pepsi? granted their is some diffrence but that does not account for the diffrence in sales. I do believe that Dew cant be the coolest drink forever. My opinion is Dew is a fad drink. That doesnt mean it will die, but it does mean it will fall. If Dew didnt advertise they would have no advantige over the competition. As for my comment on Dew being the drink for rebels. I have to stand by it, in my age group 13-21 we think we are rebels we dress diffrent, we think diffrent, and we act diffrent from our parents. When I told some of my buddies at school how old Dew really was and showed them a picture of my mom drinking Dew at age 14. They vowed to go on a boycott. It really pissed them off. They felt Pepsi had tricked them into thinking Dew was made "Just for Us". When I told them of some of Dews ads with country folks and farming and such they almost died.As for Citra if you dont think its growing look at the numbers their just getting started and their still going up and getting better.
oh and god bless rumors about yellow 5 they are really hurting sales (at my school) of mostly Dew and other crappy Pepsi Prod. When I say Dew is outdated I mean they cant hold this image forever, I dont think that day is a far as we all think.

Thanks,
Avery

P.S.
Pepsi killed a great one with Josta, really too bad

Fixx
05-06-2000, 03:13 PM
Mountain Dew outdated?? Do you realize out of the C-Store segment the Dew is the #1 selling 20oz soft drink on the market. These are actual numbers. Do you also realize that Mtn Dew will outsell Diet Coke (at its current rate of growth) by the year 2002?? Mtn Dew is showing phenomenal double digit growths while Diet Coke is off at a rate of 2 to 4% annually. So the projected numbers of the soda industry will be Coke Classic, Pepsi, then Mtn Dew then Diet Coke. Another beverage showing significant growth is Dr Pepper. That product is #6 or 7 in the lineup but will be (if it stays at its current projected growths) the #5 beverage in the soft drink industry by the year 2003??
So Mountain Dew outdated?? Think again, the numbers are phenomenal and Pepsi did it right when they restructured the marketing on the brand and sold it the right way.
Later.

surgefeedtherush
05-06-2000, 06:03 PM
By my former post I simply meant that "IN MY OPPINION DEW CANNOT MAINTAIN THIS KIND OF GROWTH FOREVER!!!" Dew has been a great selling product, but it cannot keep growing that fast forever! Citrus soda like Dew and Surge can only grow as a market for so long. Once the next "fad" hits they will fall to more modest numbers. In fact I thinkthe next fad is already here its just not hitting as hard yet. All those drinks with difrent herbal extracts and so called energy boosters will soon be able to take SOME of the market for DEW and other caffine packed drinks. I think Citra has more of a future becouse its a much more layed back and less intense drink. I think many factors will lead to the fall of Dew and others like it. Yes Dew will still be populor but not as much as today something like 7-up. I really think if you had good ads you could sell urine to people as a helth shake. Hats off to pepsi for what they have done with dew, im not trying to say they didnt invest alot of time, money, and risk into dew. Im just trying to say that without divine intervention Dew will have to get used to just being #7 or so.
Of course if pepsi altered the recipe or something that would change the above statement alot.

Thanks,
Avery

chrislee
05-07-2000, 02:28 AM
As a beverage one of the things MD has going for it is the level of carbonation vs. the "taste" or "style" the drink has. If pepsi were to make pepsi-cola with the amount of carbonation that MD has it would taste flat.

The advertising is not the only reason MD does well. I certainly don't agree with you about the taste being on parallel with surge. As well as your statements about the other products.

It is fairly obvious (at least to me) that when one company comes out with something that works rather well in the market, the other company comes out with a "me too" type product and attempts to grab some of the market share away from it's competitor.

The problem is that the "me too" products always fall short of the original in taste and quality. This is usually because the company producing it has rushed it out into the market because they were afraid enough to make the "me too" product in the first place.

Why have the two giants been so hell bent on diversification and head to head competition instead of coming up with something original?

Because thier base product lines are similar enough to some people as to be interchangeable and yet different enough to create brand loyalty in others.

They have reached a position where the rules are clearly defined and the battles that remain are so microscopic as to be insignificant in the long run.

MD is the only reason we were subjected to surge. Fresca is the only reason for citra's existance. Are they interchangable? To a mojority of the market probably not.

I know for me (as I can only truly speak for myself) I pretty much dislike all pepsi soda products except for MD. I will drink fresca over citra any day of the week and there is no product that can replace dr pepper. And Barqs is FAR superior to MUG in taste.

If you notice, the giants have lost thier touch for creating innovative new products. They can't do it themselves, and when they do try thier execution and timing is just pitiful. They typically rely on _purchasing_ niche market companies or diversifying to make themselves more able to survive price wars.

You know, when I was in Israel last year, I could get "real" coca-cola anywhere. But try and find MD? forget it. In fact there were a lot of pepsi countierfits there. Hong Kong was the same story. Holland? Italy? Germany?
All these places I've been to in the past year and a half, and the same story. Hell I could get Sam Adams Boston Lager in Hong Kong (you shoulda seen the look on my face!)but no MD.

Fact is the world knows coke, but pepsi has this untapped market out there that could make a product like MD explode in sales like no other you've ever seen. For coke, they would have a real tough time catching up of that were to happen.

Look we all know about a product reaching a "plateau of diminishing returns". Personally I don't think MD has reached that point. It probably won't for a while. Eventually, like every product, it will be replaced by something better. One thing I will say is that it won't be this year or even the next. Not unless there is a MAJOR coup d'etat in the beverage industry.

anyway more of my "ramblings" http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/smile.gif

-chrislee

surgefeedtherush
05-07-2000, 12:10 PM
Chrislee,
I understand and agree 95% with your idea on "me too" products, MUG is crap compaired to Barqs and Barqs is crap compaired to A&W. I also would like to say I have nothing against somebody who prefers Dew. I would have once killed anybody who talked bad about it. However I think in a few occasional times the "me too" products are better than the original. I'm not saying SURGE is one of those products. However I do think that most people admit Sprite is better than 7-Up. If you ask me when 7-Up is warm it tastes like citric acid it burns. I remember that the reason I liked Dew as a younger kid was that it tasted like liquid candy. The reason I moved away from it is was that its got kinda boring to my taste buds. It seemed to me after 5000 liters over a couple years the taste has little depth its just sweet thats it. So I moved on. I tryed lots of "me toos" and originals and would say that your theory is well supported (about 95% of the time) but its still worth trying the enemy. "long live opinion

"long live opinion",
Avery

P.S.
7-Up still has that red dot here.

chrislee
05-08-2000, 02:06 AM
Heh, I agree with you about the depth of flavor. MD is designed as a sugar and caffiene transport, pure and simple. One thing you have to give it credit for is the consistancy of taste. I can honestly say that I've never had MD that didn't taste like MD. I cannot say the same for other products I've tried.

Talking about depth of taste in a product; Pepsi vs Coke Classic.
To me there is much more taste subtlety in Coke than Pepsi. Coke has a lot of citrus taste that you have to be tuned in to, to notice. Especially when you get coke in glass bottles! It's almost like you poured it over a lemon and a lime! There are other times when I can't taste it or taste something else altogether.

Pepsi to me just always has a sugar taste and is really consistantly low depth. It also leaves some nasty brown residue on my tounge that I don't get with coke. Blech.

"taste rules!"

-chrislee

surgefeedtherush
05-08-2000, 08:26 AM
Chrislee,

I agree on both of your points in your past post. First Pepsi has done a great job makeing Dew taste the same all across the board. Also I agree that Pepsi dosnt have the same depth of taste that Coke has. Coke has lots of diffrent "hinted" flavors. Pepsi lacks that depth.

Thanks,
Avery

gecko
05-08-2000, 06:14 PM
you know, i like every coke produst unless its frutopia or has "coca-cola" on the bottle. sprite and other coke products are great though.

Fixx
05-11-2000, 08:28 AM
Ok I have been reading some of the posts and all that I can understand from both of you is that gecko is down with Surge and Citra. But gecko the numbers of Surge nationally are in the tank. They are off BIG time and Surge is a me too product as Citra is a me too product to Squirt because Squirt is up big time. Props to Cadbury for that one. As Chrislee was saying the me too products in a lot of instances fall short and Coke has done it twice with Citra and Surge. Well, excuse me the verdict is still out nationally on Citra but the regional placements which they tried over 2 yrs ago suggest that Citra falls VERY short and Squirt rolls on.
Later.

sodasommelier
06-27-2000, 02:07 AM
Come on, all of you! SURGE IS JUNK! So is CITRA! You know what... Squirt in the swirly bottle from Mexico wipes out anything else grapefruit I've ever tasted; face it!

Surge is a copy of Mountain Dew; not even worth tasting. I've never tasted it. I don't even think Coke believed in it enough to ever even put it in glass in any market anywhere! So it's a can-and-plastic stupid me-too drink. So leave it on the shelf for the spiders.

You know what you can do if you're not into Dew's mainstream plastic slant and the copycat junk from Coke? Drink SunDrop longnecks or better yet.... Kickapoo Joy Juice; the original Dogpatch Recipe! If you're not going to enjoy your beverage, what's the point? Why not just drink crappy coffee out of a styrofoam cup and be done with it? Surge? Citra? Please! Don't give junk like that the time of day! By the way, I still think a 6 1/2 oz returnable bottle of Coke is one of the all-time great drinks so don't think I'm ratting against the Coca-Cola Company. I guess I'm just saying that Robert Woodruff had it where it counts and the clowns in today's circus would do the world alot better by just selling shoes!

------------------
Always remember... Don't follow the can drinkers to the chicken bone recycling bin!

PeaceKitty
07-09-2000, 01:33 AM
Whoa some pretty strong emotions there

...and i really don't think you have a basis for them. I may make fun of someone for stupidly taking that crappy drink known as Mr Pibb over that awesome drink known as Dr Pepper, dumbasses *innocent look*

No really i may poke fun as someone but i don't think someone is really stupid for liking any type of drink imatation. It just depends what someone likes, and what they are used to. yeah so maybe its a such and such drink wanna-be, but maybe people like the wannabe better.

Lighten up

How can you even think you opinion is valid, or think others will, when you've never even HAD Surge before? I'm all for someone disliking a drink but you haven't even tasted it to dislike it. no ones saying they dislike the drink of their choice, just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean they don't.

surgefeedtherush
07-11-2000, 10:45 PM
I think Surge is competition not just a wanna-be. When you buy a car you shop around you dont just buy a Ford "becouse they were the first". You would like to dismis Surge a a wanna-be. But if Surge is a wanna-be then why does it taste nothing like Mt. Dew? You have to be stupid to think Coke couldnt make an exact copy of Dew. Look at Mello Yello. Surge is a go between Citra/Fresca/Squirt and Mt. Dew. Surge is the midpoint. As for the person who never tryed it. How do you know its bad? Have you never been in a car other than a Ford?

Fixx
07-16-2000, 01:38 AM
But that is the thing. Surge is a "me too" product to Mtn. Dew. Coke is trying to unseat Mountain Dew and slow its growth from becoming the #3 soft drink in the industry and surpassing Diet Coke.
As I have repeatedly stated, the numbers suggest Mountain Dew will surpass Diet Coke in the very near future.
Later.

spanker
07-16-2000, 11:46 AM
There was an article about Mtn Dew in Mondays (7-10) USA Today. Maybe it can still be found on their web site.

sodasommelier
07-16-2000, 01:34 PM
I dislike Surge because the Coca-Cola Company used to be a great innovator and they've not come up with anything good since Diet Coke. Now all they can do is try to copy something else; whoopy! Are you saying that I can't think that "Absolutely American" is a stupid copy of "Clearly Canadian" just because I haven't succumbed to drinking the crap? Do you know how many worthless products are on the market? There's not enough time in each day to drink all of them. Surge has never even bothered to put their drink in a longneck glass bottle. That shows they have no respect for their own drink. So until they do so, I don't even want to try it. I didn't drink Josta either for the same reason and it doesn't look like I missed anything. When you can have GuaranĂ¡ Antarctica or BAWLS in glass, why settle for plastic or aluminum Josta? And the same goes for Surge. Coke and Pepsi have alot of $$ but they think of their consumers as farm animals who will drink whatever's in the trough.

Also, Surge is in my opinion, a stupid name. It seems Coke has such an uninnovative development crew that they settled for "second choice" since JOLT was already taken. Really! If they had had such lack of innovation in the '60's, "Sprite" would have been called "Eleven-Up". I don't want to support their company's lack of innovation by buying so much as one plastic container or can of Surge, so excuse me.

------------------
Always remember... Don't follow the can drinkers to the chicken bone recycling bin!

surgefeedtherush
07-16-2000, 10:20 PM
I have only the highest amount of respect for those who have tried SURGE and dont like it. The point of my posts is not to change a persons opinion about the flavor of the product. Thats up to the persons tastes (or atleast some slick advertising). I do however think that although SURGE was made to be somewhat like Dew it was also made diffrent on purpose. Coke already had a "me-too" its called Mello Yellow. So why then did they invent SURGE? Logic only says that they were trying to make a better product not simply a copy. I would have been a lot cheaper just to give Mello a push than to make SURGE. Unlike Mello SURGE tastes nothing like Dew. I think coke did that on purpose. As for the glass bottle thing. I do like products in glass bottles better than cans and plastic. But they are way overpriced and it dosnt seem that they sell much. So if can convince people to buy glass then maybe Coke will make SURGE for glass. Until then its just a waste of their money. As for Josta, I dont know who you've been talking to but that stuff was pretty good. Best thing pepsi ever made.

TimButterworth
09-11-2000, 01:02 AM
Hey, from what I can see, Surge is the ONLY soda to come out in the past decade (or something) with an actually new taste. Cola, rootbeer, Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, Sprite/7up and Surge are really the only original tastes brought about by sodas. Also, in my opinion, Mt Dew tastes like some sort of toxic sugary chemical. I will drink Surge until the day I die.

amused
09-11-2000, 02:00 AM
Or it dies.

SURGE
11-07-2002, 11:17 PM
dude i think the last guy made the same post. Anywho I stand by everything I said regarding Dew and stuff with the only exeption being Citra which has since taken a big hit, but I blame that on Coke more than the product. Anyways its always funny to rehash old posts!

USF SPAMMER 3
07-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Surge will never die ever!