PDA

View Full Version : .99 Red bull? Need some advice

mxzebrax
01-14-2007, 11:58 PM
This sounds too good to be true. My local minimart is selling diet red bull for $.99 On the bottom of the can it says 11-7-06. So what i need to know, is is that the born on date, or the drink till date.... and if it's born on, when will it go bad? thanks guys.

juniorjin
01-15-2007, 01:20 AM
it's out of code.
should still be ok, unless there are unknown chemical reactions from all the chemicals in the drink

DrPepperYummy
01-15-2007, 01:16 PM
is it even legal for stores to sell expired product even if the consumer is aware of it and is trying to get a bargain? This might be a good thing to call your local news agency and see if they'll get you on the news drinking a can to help wtih the lawsuit later... lol

Blue Efficacy
01-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by DrPepperYummy:
is it even legal for stores to sell expired product even if the consumer is aware of it and is trying to get a bargain? This might be a good thing to call your local news agency and see if they'll get you on the news drinking a can to help wtih the lawsuit later... lol It's probably perfectly legal, not like theres a health risk or anything. It's only a "for best quality date."
Perishables like milk would be a different deal entirely, but carbonated beverages are certainly not perishable.

mxzebrax
01-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Well, i've already had a few, and they seem fine. I guess this means i won't buy the whole stock... But I worked for pepsi for a while, and i know that the diets expire faster, and i just needed to know if it was the day it was 'born'. Thanks guys, maybe i'll get just a couple more.

Ron Swedelson
01-16-2007, 02:46 PM
As a former Red Bull sales rep. I can tell you that Red Bull is perfectly fine to drink. The sugar in the can starts to dilute after 6 months, which is why there is that ex. date. The taste may start to differ than a fresh can, but perfectly fine to drink. I am not sure why that store is selling them so cheap, because Red Bull will swap out thoes cans for new ones. Unless, these are throw aways from the distributors, and the store has somehow gotten ahold of them.

DrPepperYummy
01-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Blue Efficacy:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DrPepperYummy:
is it even legal for stores to sell expired product even if the consumer is aware of it and is trying to get a bargain? This might be a good thing to call your local news agency and see if they'll get you on the news drinking a can to help wtih the lawsuit later... lol It's probably perfectly legal, not like theres a health risk or anything. It's only a "for best quality date."
Perishables like milk would be a different deal entirely, but carbonated beverages are certainly not perishable. </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not sure the type of product makes a difference... expired is expired... thats like saying meats.. milks.. anything that would make you immensely sick is bad to keep selling but some things that ehhh who really knows maybe it'll just taste bad are okay.. I've got to imagine its illegal because I remember see'ing a gas station shut down once for selling expired products to customers.

It would be interesting to approach the customer service desk adn ask them about this 99 cent redbull... I mean I know they tell us our energy drinks have a year or two year shelf life so I've got to imagine its going to last in a can but just the idea the store would sell expired stuff adn take that risk scares me as a customer. As a vendor I'd much rather take it back and credit them then risk being in the front page newspaper.

greg
01-16-2007, 03:48 PM
[ 01-16-2007, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: greg ]

fusion
01-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Chances are, the rep dumped the shortcoded/out of date product in the mini mart for cheap.

I have been in plenty of dollar stores that were selling outdated merchandise. Not all dates are expiration dates - some are "best by" dates.

I have consumed many things past those dates with no ill effects. Other things like hamburger, I wouldn't hesitate to throw out. And milk, in my experience, is already past my liking a few days before the date on the jug.

Drinking an expired soda or energy drink isn't going to hurt you.

Ron Swedelson
01-17-2007, 11:20 AM
If the rep. gave them to the store, Im pretty sure his boss doesnt know about it. Red Bull corp. is pretty hard core on making sure there are no out of date cans in their stores. And offer free trades of fresh product for old product.

upinarms
01-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Coming from someone who likes Red Bull, I can tell you out of code RBs can be really disgusting.

I don't drink sugar free that often, but in my store we had a can kicking around in our cooler and I had it, spit it out and threw it away. I think it got mixed up and pushed back there, but it had to be 3 years old at least.

It was really rancid tasting, I should have checked the can but I was so disgusted I just tossed it.