PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi Vanilla...the website

DietCokeEnthusiast
06-24-2003, 02:10 PM
No information, just the ugly labels for the regular and diet flavors. This is officially the least original idea i have ever heard from pepsi.

DietCokeEnthusiast
06-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Sorry, this is the site (http://www.pepsivanilla.com)

karks88
06-24-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm gagging already...

flyunns
06-24-2003, 03:46 PM
:eek: when did vanilla coke come out? last year?

teamtitan512
06-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Yes, Vanilla Coke came out last summer. Pepsi just continues to embarrass itself over and over again, can't stop copying Coke, and they made one of the stupid business moves in history in their 3 major bottlers by dropping 7Up for Sierra Mist. Sierra Mist will be dead I'm convinced in 5 years. I doubt I'll ever drink a Pepsi Vanilla, it will be like Wild Cherry Pepsi, disastrous. Coke mixes better w/flavors, Cherry Coke and Vanilla Coke are 2 of my favorite drinks.

DietCokeEnthusiast
06-24-2003, 05:44 PM
I'm going to try it, I always try sodas. I don't have a prejudice on Pepsi, their drinks just tend to...blow...

bigrich
06-24-2003, 11:11 PM
Pepsi sold have brought back the "Wild Ones". They at least tasted good.

Shatter
06-24-2003, 11:41 PM
The Pepsi Vanilla web site crashed Netscape for me.... I'm going to take that as a bad omen....

SamC
06-25-2003, 07:18 AM
The Real Thing inovates and the Imitator copies.

Shatter
06-25-2003, 09:26 PM
The Real Thing inovates and the Imitator copies. What? People have been putting vanilla into colas and sodas for as long as most sodas have existed, it's just that Coke is always trying to crank out new stuff to steal thunder away from the other companies (not to mention shelf space). Neither Coke nor Pepsi are all that original, but at least Pepsi tries slightly harder, with drinks like Josta, Crystal Pepsi, Pepsi Blue, etc. etc. Coke's innovations have been much smaller, like Mello Yello Melon (which is based on a rip-off of a Pepsi product anyway). There's no real innovation in the soda industry anymore. All the truly good sodas were created 80-100 years ago.

DietCokeEnthusiast
06-26-2003, 12:42 AM
Excuse my french here, but what MOTHER****ING soda did coke rip 'melon off of? What, ****ty tasting code red? Oh, yep, that tastes like melon, mmmhmmm...yep, all right, whatever helps you sleep at night knowing you drink a crappy worth-nothing product!

And thus ends my rant...

Clarke

Shatter
06-26-2003, 02:24 AM
Mello Yello is a rip-off of Mountain Dew. Mello Yello Cherry is a rip-off of Mountain Dew Code Red. Mello Yello Melon is still based on Mello Yello. It's not a melon flavored drink, it's Mello Yello (a rip-off) with melon added. Easy as that. It's a pretty original soda flavor merged with an unoriginal soda.

drpep
06-26-2003, 10:51 AM
I think Mello Yello Cherry was first.

DietCokeEnthusiast
06-26-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Shatter:
Mello Yello is a rip-off of Mountain Dew. Mello Yello Cherry is a rip-off of Mountain Dew Code Red. Mello Yello Melon is still based on Mello Yello. It's not a melon flavored drink, it's Mello Yello (a rip-off) with melon added. Easy as that. It's a pretty original soda flavor merged with an unoriginal soda.Just as Pepsi (a rip-off) is mixed with cherry (a rip-off) or with vanilla (a rip-off). Hmm...what about Sierra Mist (a rip-off) or, hmm...Mr. Green (a rip-off) or maybe we can even hit on the Fridge-Mates (rip-offs) or quite possibly look at Aquafina, the worst bottled water product on the market?

Did Coke make Coke Blue? Did Coke make Lemon Coke? Coca-Cola understands when there are bad business descisions and doesn't copycat. Pepsi sees, "Oh no! Coca-Cola is getting ahead with their beverages! Let's crank out some more Mr. Green, some Pepsi Vanilla, and some Pepsi Cherry!" I wouldn't put it past Coke to put out like Puke flavored Sprite and wait for Pepsi to come out with Sierra Vomit.

drpep
06-26-2003, 02:23 PM
"Did Coke make Lemon Coke?" No, but they made Diet Lemon Coke.

teamtitan512
06-26-2003, 04:29 PM
Pepsi does copy more than Coke IMO. Pepsi, Wild Cherry Pepsi, Mr. Green, Sierra Mist, Dr. Slice, Slice anything period, Mug Root Beer...all are copies.

Mello Yello Melon sounds truly original to me, as does Afterglow. Yes, Cherry is Code Red Coke style, and Mello Yello I think really was copied off Sun Drop, not Mountain Dew, as it originated in the Southeast. Maybe in later years, it was designed more to be a Mountain Dew knock-off.

Terry K
06-27-2003, 05:23 AM
Reading the history of Mt Dew, Sundrop was around first. Mt Dew was never designed to compete with SunDrop either.

The story of Dew is a very interesting one. It was created originally as a lemon-lime soda. The folks at TIP had to come up with a new forumla when Teem was introduced by Pepsi (another dead product). TIP came up with the idea of putting orange juice into the formula they had and started marketing it to Pepsi bottlers, and one bottler who had stuff left over from the old Mt Dew insisted on using the name.

Mello Yello was more of a pot shot at Dew. SunDrop wasn't (until the late 90's) sold outside of its home turf of the Southeast (and some Consolidated markets sell both Sundrop and Mello Yello).

Pepsi, remember didn't come up with Dew. The TIP corporation did. And RC Winchester was smart enough to grab the rights to Dew before Pepsi got Dew under their control.

For the record, both Cherry and Melon were introduced at the same time in 2001. I obtained them both in NC in October of '01.

sundrop
06-27-2003, 02:06 PM
Terry K you are right. Consolidated carries sundrop and mello yellow at the same time in some of its branches. The line is clear , even though they have both mello yellow is NOT promoted and displayed like sundrop. These branches are not allowed to carry any of the new mello yellow flavors.(cherry,melon, and afterglow) I guess Dr. Pepper/7 Up does not see mello yellow as a threat to the strength of sundrop in the southeast.

SURGE
07-03-2003, 03:36 PM
funny thing is, Coke actually beat Code Red to the market with MY Cherry. Or atleast it was tested here. Either way I'm sure somebody at Coke hear about Red before it happened and they just cranked out Cherry MY. As has been stated before little inovation occurs at these companies, however I think that Coke innovates with mostly good products, like Mellon, or Vanilla Coke while Pepsi innovated with mostly junk; Mist, Mr GReen, Blue...need I continue? I figure that Coke only rips off good ideas while Pepsi seems to prefer the crappy ones.

sundrop
07-05-2003, 10:28 AM
I was talking to a couple of Pepsi employees the other day and they told me that there plant had samples of Pepsi vanilla this week.
Their comments were "tastes like a flat Vanilla Coke".

No Soda
07-05-2003, 01:27 PM
I'm hoping that Pepsi's "fruitier" flavor will balance the bitterness of the Vanilla. I had hoped that Vanilla Coke would have been "creamier," but it's too bitter. We'll just have to see...Would be nice to actually like a new soda for once...I don't think I've liked anything new since the introduction of Wild Cherry Pepsi. But hey, this is from an industry that says consumers don't want refillable glass and whose leader changed its formula back in 1985...

DietCokeEnthusiast
07-05-2003, 02:56 PM
....the latest soda introduction on the market was Pepsi's new orange soda.

Shatter
07-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Kroger has gotten into the act. I just bought a 12-pack of Big K Vanilla Cola tonight. Nice package design. It uses artificial vanilla flavor instead of natural flavor like Vanilla Coke. And it tastes like it has the same amount of vanilla as Vanilla Coke. All in all, they did a good job with it. And this is coming from a disgruntled employee who usually won't eat or drink anything that Kroger makes. It kills me to admit they made something good.

teamtitan512
07-05-2003, 11:18 PM
I was going to point that being out. Saw it in the ad 2 weeks ago.

Terry K
07-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Shatter:
Kroger has gotten into the act. I just bought a 12-pack of Big K Vanilla Cola tonight. Nice package design. It uses artificial vanilla flavor instead of natural flavor like Vanilla Coke. And it tastes like it has the same amount of vanilla as Vanilla Coke. All in all, they did a good job with it. And this is coming from a disgruntled employee who usually won't eat or drink anything that Kroger makes. It kills me to admit they made something good.Drop Red is another good Kroger innovation. Kroger doesn't use Cott to make its beverages, so it was definately formulated by someone other than Cott. (they're the purveyours of store brand sodas in the US and RC outside the US)

Kroger generally gets its store brands right (except for the nasty tasting Dr K, which makes me long for Mr Pibb)

JACK
07-06-2003, 11:00 AM
There really is NO innovation in the carbonated soft drink industry if you think about. All of these NEW drinks were probably tested by some soda fountain guy in the early 1900's by adding flavors to carbonated water. The only thing innovative and ever changing is packaging.

But if Rip offs had a king of the heap, Mr. Pibb / excuuuuuuuuuse me Pibb Xtra would be on top. Many companies "rip off" but this brand is purely in this business to offer to bottlers who were not lucky enough to get a Dr Pepper franchise. Also, it only exists in fountain because Coke forces customers to offer Pibb and not allow any choice by their customers.

Please don't tell me that Pibb is the future either. CCE would kill to have a Dr Pepper franchise in EVERY Pibb market in the country and have expressed that desire.

But with that said, I think just the opposite will occur.

Terry K
07-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by JACK:
There really is NO innovation in the carbonated soft drink industry if you think about. All of these NEW drinks were probably tested by some soda fountain guy in the early 1900's by adding flavors to carbonated water. The only thing innovative and ever changing is packaging.

But if Rip offs had a king of the heap, Mr. Pibb / excuuuuuuuuuse me Pibb Xtra would be on top. Many companies "rip off" but this brand is purely in this business to offer to bottlers who were not lucky enough to get a Dr Pepper franchise. Also, it only exists in fountain because Coke forces customers to offer Pibb and not allow any choice by their customers.

Please don't tell me that Pibb is the future either. CCE would kill to have a Dr Pepper franchise in EVERY Pibb market in the country and have expressed that desire.

But with that said, I think just the opposite will occur.Okay, so what about Sprite? Its Coke's first attempt at a ripoff. (They ripped off 7up many years ago)

It took Pepsi 40 years to come up with a 7up knock off that actually worked (remember Teem, or Slice, or Storm?)

Sierra Mist was to Pepsi what Pibb is to Coke. There's no coke bottler I know of who will willingly give up Pepper because simply put, Coke can't do anything to come up with something that will work. Pibb Xtra(bad) isn't it.

JACK
07-06-2003, 02:40 PM
The discussion should be when is it a ripoff and when is it a business decision. Understand, that most Coke bottlers sold 7UP until the Coca Cola company realized that it needed a lemon-lime. More important than anything else towards the development of Sprite is the availability at McDonald's. Imagine the soft drink landscape if 7Up could have sold that business.

Sierra Mist is Teem with a new label.

bigyoda
07-06-2003, 08:57 PM
Pibb is offered in 20 ouncers around here...

drpep
07-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Terry K:
[QUOTE]Drop Red is another good Kroger innovation. Kroger doesn't use Cott to make its beverages, so it was definately formulated by someone other than Cott. (they're the purveyours of store brand sodas in the US and RC outside the US)

Kroger generally gets its store brands right (except for the nasty tasting Dr K, which makes me long for Mr Pibb)I'm not 100% sure but I think Kroger manufactures their own soda.

bigrich
07-06-2003, 11:30 PM
I work for Dollar General and our In-house soda is Clover Valley. It is made by the same company that makes Krogers. In fact several of our semi drivers have back hauls in the Cincinnati area to pick up Clover Valley products. I believe it is co-packed by Inter-American Foods, Inc., Cincinnati, OH 45202.

[ 07-06-2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

Shatter
07-07-2003, 02:03 AM
Yup, Kroger cans and bottles their own sodas. They also bottle Dollar General's stuff, because the bottling plant in Irving, TX always has Dollar General trucks parked in front. I don't think the Irving plant makes the entire chain's drinks, they must have other plants. Someone on this board said they found a walnut flavored cola at one Kroger, and we don't have anything like that around here.