PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to try Diet RC

Android
05-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Okay, I know that there's a couple of fans of Diet RC around here. Me, I've only had it a couple of times (2 liter and an old 20oz PET) and wasn't impressed particularly. However, whenever I did have it, it was product produced by American, who doesn't actually have a good reputation with quality, and the dates were pretty old. So I never considered those a valid sampling.

Diet RC is not sold around here, or hasn't been in the past. So, when I was in Cheyenne, WY the other day at a grocery store, I was surprised to see it for sale in 12 pack cans. And it was bottled by Full Service Beverages, which is part of All-American bottling, one of the best third-tier bottlers around. So I bought a 12 pack.

The verdict? I'm not sure what the big deal is, I was still not really impressed by it. It wasn't bad, but I had hoped it would taste just like normal RC, which to me, it doesn't. In fact, it seems a lot like the reformulated Pepsi One, which I think tastes slightly better. I think my favorite diet Cola is going to remain Diet Pepsi. (I'm not a Coke drinker so I probably won't try the new Splenda-transmogrifed Diet Coke anytime soon)

andy

Look In The Tunk
05-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Silly question time:

Is Diet Rite and Diet RC the same thing? Just some people call it "Diet Rite" and some people call it "Diet RC"? I thought they were made by the same people.

ithastabeshasta
05-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by TheConnieVandelayShow:
Silly question time:

Is Diet Rite and Diet RC the same thing? Just some people call it "Diet Rite" and some people call it "Diet RC"? I thought they were made by the same people. No they are 2 seperate products made by the same company, kind of like Diet Coke and Tab.

Mr Zabe
05-29-2005, 08:34 PM
A few years ago, Diet RC was a good pop when it had aspartame as it's sweetener. They changed the sweetener and IMO it tasted bad. Soon after that, at least in the Chicago market, diet RC was no longer found in the stores.

Zabe

Look In The Tunk
05-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by ithastabeshasta:
No they are 2 seperate products made by the same company, kind of like Diet Coke and Tab. [/QB]Ok. I guess we don't get Diet RC in my parts, just reg. RC.

fusion
05-30-2005, 12:21 AM
Diet RC also has caffeine. Diet Rite is caffeine free.

The Interpreter
05-30-2005, 06:56 PM
And then there was this stuff called RC100...

golee1
05-30-2005, 08:07 PM
RC 100 was just caffeine free RC wasn't it? I seem to remember on RC's website they pride themselves on being the first major cola to have a caffeine free version.

OSpencerO
06-06-2005, 09:38 AM
I like Diet Rite but I don't like Diet RC, I also like RC but not Diet RC.
The first time I tried Diet RC was in Jan. 2005 right after I found out that I am A Diabetic.
I had A huge taste test of every type of diet soda I could find.
I had to find out what I liked in diet because before then I had very few diet drinks.
Diet RC was the worst cola even when compared to store brands.

Spencer

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 10:51 AM
i didn't even realize that RC was still in business. weren't they bought by 7Up or something?

RC was big in the 70s, right? but just seemed to get buried by Coke and Pepsi in the 80s and beyond.

Android
06-07-2005, 07:55 AM
RC is still somewhat popular in certain markets but in other areas it's not promoted or even sold.

andy

SimonNevon
06-17-2005, 06:52 PM
I was in love with Diet RC for awhile there. Around North-Central Illinois you can find it, but it's a little difficult.

The taste is similar to Diet Rite. It does have caffeiene. I believe it to be a bit stronger cola flavor than Diet Rite, but with a little bit more complexity because of the caffeine.

All in all (after about a year), I grew sick of it. Splenda leaves a very hollow aftertaste that takes some getting used to. I would still compare it to Diet Rite. I have to believe they are based on the same formula, it really just tastes to me like Diet Rite+Caffeine

The Interpreter
06-19-2005, 12:04 PM
And that comment, my friends, is among my evidence why I think Diet Coke with Splenda will not last. Diet Coke? yes. Coke Zero? yes. Diet Coke with Splenda? At least the name will not survive, and maybe the product won't either....You heard it here first.

Coke is testing the waters nationally. Two of the three diets in Coke (not counting flavors and caffeine free) will survive. The other won't. Coke is not taking any chances.

rc4me
06-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Regular RC Cola is still the best in my opinion. They are owned by Cadbury and they don't really promote it too much. There is supposed to be a big promotion for their 100 year anniversary but I haven't heard a thing in the Baltimore area.

Every once in a while I get a case of long neck RC's that are to die for. Nothing like a good cola in a long neck glass bottle. My regular RC is cans. I know they make a caffeine free product but I can't find it in the Baltimore area.

rc4me
06-20-2005, 05:11 PM
I forgot to mention that I've never drank a diet soda that I thought tasted good.