PDA

View Full Version : CCE to buy Central Coke

bigrich
05-30-2005, 01:13 AM
I was reading an article from the May 26 issue of Beverage Digest that CCE has a letter of intent to purchase Central Coke. What will this mean for MAC? Will MAC close down if they only have one customer Kokomo Coke? Kokomo Coke sometimes buys from Huntsville(Big Springs)Coca-Cola when MAC product is not available.

[ 05-30-2005, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

fusion
05-30-2005, 06:01 PM
That's the one thing I wonder about, too, bigrich. Central/the Christian family have the majority stake in MAC -- so maybe CCE will just have Kokomo buy from Indianapolis, Portland and the various Illinois facilities? Or maybe Kokomo will just buy from Huntsville.. or maybe even Great Plains CC in Oklahoma.

I really think CCE should keep MAC open, since they have no bottle or can production facilities in Pennsylvania at all. When they bought out Herbco, they shut down the bottle line in Pittston PA. I'm not sure if Ebensburg PA was closed before or after the merger, though.

They need to keep it open to take the pressure off of Twinsburg, Baltimore and the NY divison production that supplies northeastern PA. I'd even suggest putting a bottle line in as well. But that's just me.

The only production CCE has in PA is Dasani in Washington.

Northern Neck Coca-Cola in VA also is part of MAC, though they buy a lot of stuff from CCE Richmond/Alexandria, in the way of 2 liters, 20oz and 24oz 6 pks.

The small Pottsville PA franchise also buys cans from MAC.

[ 05-30-2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-01-2005, 08:57 PM
there's an indie in pottsville?

where was central coke located?

fusion
06-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Yeah, Pottsville is a teeny tiny franchise. Maybe covers 1 or 2 counties. I'm not sure -- it's been years since I've been up that way. I don't know if they produce their own 2 liters, or buy from someone else.

Central Coke covers western Maryland, northwestern Virginia, the eastern panhandle of WV, south central PA, plus smaller territories around Williamsport PA and Lima OH.

Bottle production is located in Hagerstown MD (HG). They buy 16.9oz 6pks from CCBCC and CCE. Can production is Mid-Atlantic Canners, located in Hamburg PA, smack dab in the middle of CCE teritory (former Herbco territory). Their sister plant in Zanesville OH (ZN) was closed because the old Herbco territories didn't buy cans from MAC after the CCE buyout. The other plant in Northampton MA (NP) was sold off long time ago, and now produces Powerade, Nestea, and MM juices-to-go.

Hopefully I've remembered all of them, but these are the sales centers, from what I recall:

Williamsport PA
Lima OH
Hagerstown MD
Cumberland MD
York PA
Winchester VA
Staunton VA
Charlottesville VA

Headquarters is in Richmond VA, though Richmond is CCE territory. Their offices are literally right down the street from the CCE offices (formerly these offices held the Commonwealth Division HQ, but when it was merged with the Capitol division to form the Mid-Atlantic division, the offices became just a sales center).

The Christian family owns the business, headed by Betty Christian.

I really don't know the full history of all of the operations. I think that some of it was formerly part of the Crass Coca-Cola operations, which had their offices in Richmond, at the site that CCE now has their offices, 1310 Roseneath Rd. Central is at 1706 Roseneath Rd.

Crass was sold to Mid-Atlantic Coca-Cola, pre CCE days. Parts of CCE/Mid-Atlantic were owned by Miami Coca-Cola (including the office I work out of in eastern MD). And the Wilmington DE branch of Miami Coke was sold to Philadelphia Coke.

From what I've dug up, Richmond VA, Capitol Heights MD, Alexandria VA, Frederick MD, and Culpeper VA were Crass operations. So.. maybe Mid-Atlantic CC was actually created as the merger of the Crass and Miami operations? I'll have to ask my branch manager, he used to work for Miami. CCE was formed in 1986, and Mid-Atlantic was acquired in 1988.

The York PA facility is one of the older-style Coke facilities, so I think it is safe to say they bottled there. Staunton also bottled, under code SV.

golee1
06-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Central was (is) headquarted in Richmond VA, although they don't have territory there (CCE does). The headquarters is right down the street (Roseneath Rd) from CCE's plant. The headquarters is a tiny little building. They have territory is parts of VA, PA, MY, WV, and Lima Ohio. In Staunton we've known this day was bound to come. For many years LT and Betty Christian's son's have said that they had no desire to take over the company. When Mrs. Christian officially retired last year we only knew it was a matter of time. This week has been crazy, we've had a cleaning crew detailing the sales center; they even waxed the floor in the warehouse.

Interestingly enough...in 1982, the current president of the company, Lee Christian, was vice president, and his dad LT was president. Unfortunately, his dad had a penchant for exhibitionism, among other problems, and he and Mrs Christian divorced. Unfortunately, Mr. Christian and Lee had a lot of the company money tied up in offshore bank accounts and so on, and when Mrs. Christian found out about this, she fired them both. She only rehired Lee about 10 years ago. Mrs. Christian is now in her 80's, still living in Richmond, and she is said to have many health problems. LT Christian is now bedridden.

fusion
06-01-2005, 10:12 PM
That's funny.. while I was typing my insanely long post, you snuck yours in. smile.gif

golee1
06-01-2005, 10:15 PM
haha, I was working on mine for a while too...

golee1
06-01-2005, 10:16 PM
You're missing one sales center, but I can't think of which one it is. I'll check tomorrow. I have a history of Central Coke they gave me when I was hired. I'll post it on here tomorrow if I can find it.

[ 06-01-2005, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: golee1 ]

teamtitan512
06-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Cumberland had production as well until the 1990's I think. They also had a Coke sales center in Romney, WV now used as a Coke museum, but it hasn't been open for a decade at least.

I don't know the former Cumberland code though.

golee1
06-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Fairmont WV is the 9th. There was a sales center in Harrisonburg VA that was consolidated into Staunton in 1990. There was also one in Oakland MD.

[ 06-02-2005, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: golee1 ]

fusion
06-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Wow.. Oakland. Talk about the middle of nowhere (I actually lived there for a summer).

I also forgot to say in my first post that MAC also sells to Coke Southeastern New England in New London CT.

When CCE was formed in 1986, Mid-Atlantic Coca-Cola was already part of CCE, because MACC was actually owned by Coca-Cola (they bought it in 1984). But the Miami Coke (Miami FL + MD & most of DE operations aka Delaware Coca-Cola) operations weren't acquired until 1988.

CCE was formed when Coke took company owned bottling operations and merged them with Beatrice's Coca-Cola operations and JTL's operations, both of which they bought in 1986.

BCI (Beatrice's operations) were in and around Los Angeles (and probably other parts of the state.. I really don't know). JTL was the largest bottler at the time, with 10% of the US volume. They had franchises in Texas, Florida, and parts of the Mid-West.

[ 06-02-2005, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

SamC
06-03-2005, 09:38 PM
So, that takes CCE to what %age of the US market? Something like 85% or more, right?

There would be CCBCC, Swire, North New England and what else of significance?

fusion
06-04-2005, 11:51 PM
I believe that CCE currently has 83%. Central is .9%.

Philadelphia Coke (Philadelphia PA, southern NJ, northern DE)
Coke United (Birmingham AL, eastern GA, and a small part of SC)
ABARTA Coke (Buffalo NY, Cleveland OH, Bethlehem PA, Coatesville PA)

That would be the biggest three I can think of. But there have to be a few other biggies, since Central is #9. Maybe Tullahoma/Ennis, Great Plains, and Chesterman.

fusion
02-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Almost a year later, this deal is finally set to close in a few days (March 1). I wonder why there hasn't been any media coverage, or mention on the CCE website?

[ 02-27-2006, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-27-2006, 09:20 PM
fusion in that old post you forgot to mention swire...

ramonazo
02-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Fusion, there's any possibility in the future that CCE would buy a bottling company from Mexico like Embotelladoras Arca or Grupo Continental, or any bottling company in the world outside U.S., Canada and Europe.

golee1
02-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by golee1:
[QB
This week has been crazy, we've had a cleaning crew detailing the sales center; they even waxed the floor in the warehouse.

Interestingly enough...in 1982, the current president of the company, Lee Christian, was vice president, and his dad LT was president. Unfortunately, his dad had a penchant for exhibitionism, among other problems, and he and Mrs Christian divorced. Unfortunately, Mr. Christian and Lee had a lot of the company money tied up in offshore bank accounts and so on, and when Mrs. Christian found out about this, she fired them both. She only rehired Lee about 10 years ago. Mrs. Christian is now in her 80's, still living in Richmond, and she is said to have many health problems. LT Christian is now bedridden. [/QB]LT Christian died last summer.

The cleaning crew is back.

The Christians have also sold the Bleu Water franchise they had in Harrisonburg.

[ 02-27-2006, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: golee1 ]

fusion
02-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Ramón Coca-Colero:
Fusion, there's any possibility in the future that CCE would buy a bottling company from Mexico like Embotelladoras Arca or Grupo Continental, or any bottling company in the world outside U.S., Canada and Europe. Doubtful. Coke just realigned the German operations, under a company called CCE-EG. (no relation). And Femsa is the anchor bottler in Central America, so I could see them buying other bottlers in that area.

ramonazo
02-28-2006, 01:22 AM
True... Coca-Cola FEMSA has operations in almost all Latin America: Argentina, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Colombia, Panama, Brazil, Nicaragua. In fact in central america and in countries like Colombia and Venezuela, Coca-Cola FEMSA is the only bottler in the country. Here in Mexico is also doubtful that FEMSA would acquire in the future another bottlers, because most of them are familiar businesses, for example: Grupo Continental is from the Grossmans, Grupo Tampico is from the Fleishmanns, Bepensa is from the Ponce Garcia family, Fomento Queretano is from the Ruiz Rubio family, CIMSA from the Rivera family, CDF from the Jordan family, etc. etc., and they prefer to maintain the tradition instead of allowing FEMSA to take their operations.