PDA

View Full Version : RC Winchester (VA)

teamtitan512
06-26-2003, 01:46 AM
If you enjoy seeing Pepsi clinging to life, then come here for a joyous trip. RC has itself, Diet Rite, Dr Pepper, Mountain Dew, 7Up, Sunkist, A&W, and Canada Dry. They have so much strength almost 1/2 the soft drink aisle in any store is RC Winchester. They also have enough strength to bottle the secondary products. I found Crush, Sun Drop, Tahitian Treat, and Hires all at the Winchester Super Wally from Winchester. Only things I would have liked to have seen there were Squirt, and Diet Rite flavors. BTW All Mountain Dew has RC caps, no Pepsi involved.

PBG, who is the Pepsi bottler here, not having rights to any of these, can also not sell Mr. Green as product comes out of Baltimore, and since they have Dr Pepper in all but a couple of counties, those couple of counties don't have Mr. Green. If they put Mr. Green out, it would basically shift Dr Pepper into third-tier across the entire state of MD except for areas covered by Salisbury Pepsi, and Washington and Frederick Counties in MD, where Dr Pepper is already third tier. Should be noted that 1/2 liters from RC Winchester are actually split coming from American Bottling and Davis Beverage Group.

Terry K
06-26-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:

PBG, who is the Pepsi bottler here, not having rights to any of these, can also not sell Mr. Green as product comes out of Baltimore, and since they have Dr Pepper in all but a couple of counties, those couple of counties don't have Mr. Green. If they put Mr. Green out, it would basically shift Dr Pepper into third-tier across the entire state of MD except for areas covered by Salisbury Pepsi, and Washington and Frederick Counties in MD, where Dr Pepper is already third tier. Should be noted that 1/2 liters from RC Winchester are actually split coming from American Bottling and Davis Beverage Group.That would be incorrect about MG and DP. As long as they do NOT sell DP in tandem with MG, its perfectly acceptable. For example, Pepsi Americas here in Springfield doesn't have DP, but has MG instead. In Kansas City, they have DP, but no MG.

Pepsi likely chooses not to sell MG there because it doesn't sell well, not due to contractual issues.

teamtitan512
06-26-2003, 05:07 PM
I thought if the actual supplier of product that also pertained to. Since the product for Maryland, and this region of WV/VA are the same in Baltimore, I thought then that Baltimore's facility couldn't produce both Dr Pepper and Mr. Green. Guess I was wrong. All but 2 counties in MD have Pepsi and Dr Pepper together.

Terry K
06-27-2003, 06:12 AM
The reason it doesnt' apply to product production is a simple one: Almost all Coke bottling facilities run Dr Pepper (there is only ONE coke bottler we know of that doesn't run Dr Pepper, that being Atlantic Iowa)

For example, LX in Kansas City runs Pibb (Xtra) for sale in the KC market, however, they run Dr Pepper for Nebraska markets.

Its always been my understanding that its just where the product is distributed as opposed to where its run. (Wis-Pak and the cooperatives in both coke and pepsi run into this situation a LOT. Wis-Pak still runs 7up)

One ABC distributor described it to me like this: If Pepsi brings MG into a territory where they have Pepper, they'll forfeit DP immediately, and DPSU will refranchise it. Same applies to Coke.

Generally speaking, as long as the territory map is respected, DPSU will have no problem with a plant running both DP and a competing product, again, as long as they're not sold in the same territories. (I've seen some Coke trucks carrying both Pepper and Pibb, oddly enough)

drpep
06-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Coke trucks in my area sometimes have both Dr Pepper and Pibb Xtra. Pepper for the NY side of the border and Pibb for the Pennsylvania side.

fusion
06-27-2003, 09:35 PM
Pepsi production in Wilmington, Delaware produces Dr Pepper for outside their territory. CCE's Needham Heights produces Canada Dry and Seagram's.. they sell CD in MA, Seagram's in other states.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-28-2003, 03:26 PM
the bottom line is, a distributor needs to look at how much area they have to cover and how much a product will sell. my beer distributor up in lansing has the pabst and becks contracts for 15 stores. we took it on as a favor and didn't have to pay licensing agreements to becks and pabst because they both agreed that the area was too little to bother. so for fifteen stores and about 20 restaurants, we serve beck's and pabst.

the same thing with the pepsi there. they might be able to get mister green in, but they'd have to buy a bunch and might not want to risk it.

they probaby figure they're an also ran anyway

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-29-2003, 01:57 PM
hey terry. cce plant GR - grand rapids michigan does not run dr pepper. the other two in michigan (FL - flint, michigan and dt - detroit, michigan) both run dr pepper. fl and dt run cans and PET, although dt is not setup for 1L.