PDA

View Full Version : Favorite and least favorite root beer?

Nostalgia
06-28-2003, 12:18 AM
Personally, I think that barqs is the best tasting out of all the root beers I have had. The worst root beer would have to be the generic albertson's brand. Mug is pretty mediocre as well, but at least it's palatable.

Shatter
06-28-2003, 03:08 AM
The best root beer i've tried would be Virgil's Root Beer. It's best when it's fresh. I've noticed that bottles sitting on the shelf for some time tend to develop a metallic taste to it.

The worst root beer would have to be Tommyknockers Maple Root Beer. Horrific. I could only force down a swallow, then threw the entire 4-pack away.

Everyone complains about Mug. I haven't drank it since I was a little kid, so I really don't have an opinion on it. And from the amount of complaints i've heard here, I never will.

T.I.A.
06-28-2003, 05:50 PM
I like Mug pretty well, though I don't usually like it due to availability of better options. I don't really have any least favorites, because I tend to ignore those I dont like, eventually forgetting about them.

Some of my favorites:
Boylan's - It's not exactly root beer, but I do enjoy their Birch Beer. I like the Creamy Red as well.

Sprecher - Maybe a little too sweet for some, but I love both their Root Beer and Cream Soda.

Root 66 - Gotta show some local pride... Root 66 is not the type I would down on a regular basis, but I find all of their products to be very good and very unique.

Hacksaw
06-28-2003, 08:43 PM
THE best: Boylan's, Frostop(now gone in San Jose), Frostie, Sprecher. Ramblim was pretty good, but it's also gone around here.

Worst: Most store brands, Trader Joe's, Think.

Barq's varies sooo much anymore. Some batch are great, some are awful.

[ 06-28-2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Hacksaw ]

sodasommelier
06-28-2003, 11:59 PM
I think the best root beer is Sparky's. It is so full of root beer flavor and aroma; it's a treat and a big treat at 22oz. Since I collect bottle caps I put the bottle cap from Sparky's in my pocket the day I tasted it the first time and later in the evening my wife asked me if I had spilled root beer because I smelled like root beer; I reached into my pocket and the cap still smelled pungently like root beer. Now how many other root beers can say that? Virgil's is also pretty darn good and I like Root 66 and Sprecher although they are a little milder. The absolute worst I have had is the current Barq's and I've never ventured to try the Albertson's store brand but will assume it's best left for the folks that succumb to that level smile.gif

teamtitan512
06-29-2003, 12:50 AM
I like A&W, Barq's, and Sprecher.

Mug sucks, and so does Giant Eagle and Richfood root beers.

karks88
06-29-2003, 06:43 AM
I usually only drink Barq's or Stewart's these days but I still like A&W and when I can find it, Hires.

I remember I had some store brand when I was a kid and it made me sick!

toby1
07-21-2003, 06:15 PM
How about HANKS!!!
I have heard nothing but great things about that brand!

fusion
07-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Hank's is pretty good. But Sprecher is my current favorite. I had my first bottle the other day, it tasted like heaven.

Abita really didn't do anything for me, it tasted pretty ordinary. It might have been an old 6 pack, though.

PopNutz
07-21-2003, 09:53 PM
I was out with some friends at the Flying Saucer in Nashville and I just happened to be the guy driving that night. The bartender asked me if I liked root beer and brought me out the coldest mug of root beer I ever had. I don't know the name but he said some guy up in east Tennessee kegs it for them. It was amazing, the best I've ever had and it seems everytime I make it back to Nashvegas I just can't find the time to get back there but someday I'm going to make it and find out the name of it.(if anyone knows please tell me!!!)

The worst has to be Schnucks store brand from St. Louis. I couldn't even swallow it it was so bad.

I also like IBC and Frostie but I guess I like those because I drank them as a kid. I remember going to the local Frostop or Frosty Top(I can't remember the exact name) as a little kid and sitting up at the bar and having some great rootbeer and burgers but they've been gone from around here for 20 years or so.

Fritz's is pretty good but I haven't seen it in a while. I think I got it in St. Louis or Chicago.

johnnyrockets
07-21-2003, 10:09 PM
A&W and also Stewarts, a brand that's usually only sold on the east coast

I remmeber when I was little the cherry sodas & cream sodas & root beer you could get at the drugstores in NYC - fountain drinks. Those were the BEST - the syrup was so sweet and fresh tasting.

toby1
07-22-2003, 10:18 AM
hey Johnny,

Try a Hanks, it will take you back to when you were a kid, real smooth and not to sweet, just perfect!

Let us know what you think!!

steveu
07-22-2003, 10:31 AM
I kinda like A&W from the fountain in their restaurants. Frosted mug and all...

Irishpepsi04
04-16-2004, 09:48 PM
In the Pacific Northwest:

All root beer brands are here. My favorites are three: First is Thomas Kemper Soda of Seattle. They do root beer, grape, orange creme, key lime, etc. Second is Stewert's Root Beer. Third, and tie is Hires and A&W.

Worse: Albertson's.

Root Beer brands in The Greater Seattle area:
Barq's, MUG, Hires, A&W, Stewert's, Thomas Kemper, IBC (Walmarts), and one root beer brand that I forgot the brand name comes from Mt. Hood, Oregon. Brian

Tahts-a-dats-ago
04-17-2004, 12:04 AM
The best (IMO) is Virgils. Hanks is very good too.

toby1
04-17-2004, 12:52 AM
I thought HANKS was good...then I had SPRECHER! oh man, A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!

NLE Dan
04-17-2004, 03:58 AM
Sprecher is my favorite by far. Their beer is great too.

toby1
04-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Youve got great taste DCDAN
Im trying to get in into the chains up here in NE.

We have it in kegs 1/4 barrels. Does really well on-premise. Never thunk it! :D

NLE Dan
04-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Yeah it does really well out here. Good luck getting it out there.

Dr. Cherry
04-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Favorite: Sprecher

Worst: Dad's Rootbeer

Scooty
04-17-2004, 04:20 PM
What does everyone think about IBC?

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-17-2004, 05:10 PM
that stuff's alright.

sprecher's delicious. as is goose island root beer out of chicago, fantastic!

If i'm buying a macro-big brand, i'll go with A&W. Barq's and Mug don't cut it for me.

Irishpepsi04
04-20-2004, 02:37 AM
Hi I saw a Frostop plastic bottle at a local supermarket tonight. But didn't give it a try but will do tomorrow and see how it tastes. Not sure where it comes from. Brian

Originally posted by PopNutz:
I was out with some friends at the Flying Saucer in Nashville and I just happened to be the guy driving that night. The bartender asked me if I liked root beer and brought me out the coldest mug of root beer I ever had. I don't know the name but he said some guy up in east Tennessee kegs it for them. It was amazing, the best I've ever had and it seems everytime I make it back to Nashvegas I just can't find the time to get back there but someday I'm going to make it and find out the name of it.(if anyone knows please tell me!!!)

The worst has to be Schnucks store brand from St. Louis. I couldn't even swallow it it was so bad.

I also like IBC and Frostie but I guess I like those because I drank them as a kid. I remember going to the local Frostop or Frosty Top(I can't remember the exact name) as a little kid and sitting up at the bar and having some great rootbeer and burgers but they've been gone from around here for 20 years or so.

Fritz's is pretty good but I haven't seen it in a while. I think I got it in St. Louis or Chicago.

Irishpepsi04
04-20-2004, 02:38 AM
Hi I saw a Frostop plastic bottle at a local supermarket tonight. But didn't give it a try but will do tomorrow and see how it tastes. Not sure where it comes from. Brian

Originally posted by PopNutz:

SURGE
05-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Of the widely avalible brands:

Best: Barq's A&W and Henry Weinharts.

Worst: Mug- that stuff is horrible god awefull.

bevdog
05-20-2004, 02:14 AM
I remember the old draft A&W rootbeer from when I was a kid used to kick ass!! But since I have not seen or tasted the stuff since then I would have to say that right now my current favorites are 1)Virgils Rootbeer,Regular or Bavarian Nutmeg Edition(very complex flavor).2)Sparky's Rootbeer.3)Bulldog Rootbeer(very creamy).

Hacksaw
05-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Sparky's is good, but expensive, & hard to find beyond the west I suspect. Virgil's seemed too sour. Hank's is one of the better HFCS Root Beers out there.

Just don't try the Safeway Select!! :(