PDA

View Full Version : Surge Vs. Vault: The Taste Test!

Rob A
01-20-2007, 09:22 PM
I bought a can of Surge off ebay the other day. Payed $16.50 for this baby, but I know it'll be well worth it.
http://i3.tinypic.com/4clifr8.jpg
The Surge!

Today, I went out and bought a 12 pack of Vault to compare the two in taste, I've been waiting for this moment. I knew the first day that I drank Vault that it tasted just like Surge, but it was time for a real head to head taste test. After all, I haven't had Surge since 2003.

http://i13.tinypic.com/2ajbcrn.jpg
Surge and Vault: the 2 best sodas ever together.

Surge expiration: Jun 25, 2001
Vault expiration: Sept 17, 2007

The Scent
I cracked open the can of Vault first and took a smell, it was that great scent I always knew. Then I cracked open the can of Surge, and to no surprise, these 2 smelled almost exactly the same. The only thing I noticed was that the scent of the Surge was a little weaker (probably because it's past it's prime).

http://i1.tinypic.com/4hvawph.jpg
I then poured both sodas into a glass. Ah Surge's green color, that is dearly missed.

The Taste
I went for the Vault first, held it in my mouth for a few seconds, then swallowed. Then took the Surge (savored the moment for a few seconds), and drank some. Again, I held it in my mouth for a few seconds, then swallowed. I was shocked at how great the Surge tasted (was expecting it to taste old), but it tasted fresh! Surge and Vault (without a doubt in my mind) have the same exact initial taste. As I swallowed the taste was still the same as it slid down my throat. Where's the difference? After a second or 2 of drinking Surge, I was greeted with a short sweet and fruity aftertaste (just as I remembered). When I drank the Vault, there was no fruity taste to be found a few seconds after drinking it. This difference is extremely minimal (had to concentrate hard to notice it), as it lasts only a few seconds. So pretty much, the Vault taste ends shortly after swallowing it, while the Surge tastes extends for a few more seconds.

The Blind Test
I put both glasses down, and closed my eyes. I had my father hand me one glass to drink, then the other after to see if I could tell the difference. Here is the truth, I guessed wrong! I was given Surge first, Vault second.

The Conclusion
I'm now convinced 100% that Vault is the new Surge! Coke obviously had Surge in mind when making Vault. The difference in taste is EXTREMELY small, and can only be found slighty in the aftertaste. I was wrong in my blind test, that confirms to me that Vault is just the next generation of Surge slightly tweaked. I'm proud to say that we won the war, and Surge is back! Vault is Surge 2.0, no doubt about it! I'm gonna say that Vault is atleast 96%-97% Surge. In my opinion, the biggest difference between the 2 is not the aftertaste, but the color, which has absolutely no effect on the taste of course. Surge and Vault's aftertaste are extremely similiar, the only difference is that Surge's aftertaste lasts a little longer.

http://i18.tinypic.com/2qd9xs9.jpg
The finished products, ah how great it was to taste the original once again!

I will now save my empty Surge can, and pour Vault into it whenever I get the chance. Long live Surge! Long live Vault!

--Rob A

[ 01-20-2007, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Rob A ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
01-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Wow! they look different in color, I didn't saw the color of Surge before because I drank it directly from the can, and I don't remember so much how I tastes...

Mr Zabe
01-21-2007, 11:27 AM
$16.50 to drink a 6 year old can of Surge for a taste test. Oh boy. LOL

upinarms
01-21-2007, 12:18 PM
That was a good read. Nice job.

turbojames
01-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Good job!

popologist
01-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
$16.50 to drink a 6 year old can of Surge for a taste test. Oh boy. LOL exactly what i was thinking...

ha ha ha.

Troy The Vault Drinker
01-22-2007, 02:14 AM
good test...
surge doesnt look as green as i remember though
i thought it was greener

iluvsurge220
01-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I still don't think they taste the same. Now I haven't had surge in 6 or 7 years, but I don't remember it tasting like Vault at all. Still, it was an interesting article. I wish I could get my hands on a Surge and not have to pay so much for it.